kingston
✟6,171.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as Christ gave us commandment.

As it is written:

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in the Spirit of Christ, and the Spirit of Christ in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit of love which he hath given us.

Upon these two commandments hang ALL the new testament.

And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

Seek to them with the law of commandments and to them with the testimony of Christ Jesus: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no Spirit of God in them.

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the commandment to love is the most difficult. But it's also the most necessary if we're to have the purpose of everything else fulfilled. An example is marriage and adultery, why commit yourself to one if you're not actually committed. Our Lord Jesus clarified the problem, yes adultery is sin but it's deeper than the flesh straight to our hearts. The root cause is selfishness and lust, a man who loves his wife would have the opposite in mind.

Upvote 0

psalm911

Feb 26, 2019
kingston
✟6,171.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the commandment to love is the most difficult. But it's also the most necessary if we're to have the purpose of everything else fulfilled. An example is marriage and adultery, why commit yourself to one if you're not actually committed. Our Lord Jesus clarified the problem, yes adultery is sin but it's deeper than the flesh straight to our hearts. The root cause is selfishness and lust, a man who loves his wife would have the opposite in mind.
A Christian can divorce if the other commits fornication, which is to say, idolatry. The root cause of sin is unbelief.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A Christian can divorce if the other commits fornication, which is to say, idolatry. The root cause of sin is unbelief.

Yet believers sin so the root cause of sin is more likely an imperfection in the person, whether physical or spiritual.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By root cause I meant sexual sin starts with lust. As for lust where that comes from could be said is unbelief. As for believers who sin I think unbelief or lacking in belief could be just as accurate. Actually unbelief the more I think about is the cause, originally I was thinking pride but that's a sin too. Whether it's lust or pride, all sin has a common source and if you don't fear God the all powerful and all knowing; it has to be lack of belief (ignorance or rebellion).

When Adam and Eve first sinned in the garden, it was Satan as the Serpent twisting God's word tempting Eve and then through her Adam. Neither kept God's commandment to man and through him to woman, Eve lacked discernment hearing what she wanted believing it and Adam followed her knowing what God told him personally (directly). I think ignorance and rebellion started with not having God with them, lack of a personal relationship knowing him and keeping him in them when tempted (God's spirit). Also not having the fear of God as there was not yet sin and it's consequences.

Upvote 0

psalm911

Feb 26, 2019
kingston
✟6,171.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By root cause I meant sexual sin starts with lust. As for lust where that comes from could be said is unbelief. As for believers who sin I think unbelief or lacking in belief could be just as accurate. Actually unbelief the more I think about is the cause, originally I was thinking pride but that's a sin too. Whether it's lust or pride, all sin has a common source and if you don't fear God the all powerful and all knowing; it has to be lack of belief (ignorance or rebellion).

When Adam and Eve first sinned in the garden, it was Satan as the Serpent twisting God's word tempting Eve and then through her Adam. Neither kept God's commandment to man and through him to woman, Eve lacked discernment hearing what she wanted believing it and Adam followed her knowing what God told him personally (directly). I think ignorance and rebellion started with not having God with them, lack of a personal relationship knowing him and keeping him in them when tempted (God's spirit). Also not having the fear of God as there was not yet sin and it's consequences.
Paul says that he did not know lust except the law had said you shall not covet. And covetousness is idolatry.

Upvote 0