there is nothing entertaining about any of this...

Apr 12, 2015
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OP ... just curious, do you also feel this way about things like vanity, makeup, piercings, etc ?

well even rachel in the Bible had her nose pierced. as long as vanity isnt causing issuses with other girls i dont really see the harm.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look into Christian music. I know they have Gospel and other Christian music on the radio. I know they have Christian movies as well. I know TLC has wholesome shows on their channel.

Unfortunately, Christian music isn't very good. The theology, oftentimes, is not good, either.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If you have Netflix, there are many Christian movies available on it. Simple google Christian movies on Netflix and many will pop up. Some of them are kind of sappy but some are quite good. Some are thought provoking and inspiring as well.

As for music, there are so many good Christian artists available now. Too numerous to count in fact. So many different genres as well. I have no idea what kind of music speaks to your heart but google Christian music and see what pops up. You are bound to find someone that suits you.

Perhaps the Holy Spirit is convicting you to tame the techo beast, so to speak. Take a media, online, music break and focus on reading or writing your own songs or praises.

God bless you in your journey.

There is plenty of good secular music out there. Here is one of my favorite songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

If one comes to it with an open mind and looks for Christian themes they will find several. If one comes wanting to find reasons why it is evil I'm sure they can. Sad really, such people miss most of the beauty around them.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The inclusion of violence and sex is media isn't necessarily an indication of a lower quality work. Take Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead; both contain varying amounts of sex and violence, but they're probably the two best TV shows around, today. I'd even argue we're in another golden age of television.

^Also, agree with this.

And in a way inclusion of unpleasant facts or issues is more apt to be the sign of a great work.

To Sir With Love is far better than Welcome Back Kotter.

Upvote 0

NewEnglandGirl

Putting on God's Full Armor
Apr 24, 2015
✟15,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our popular culture has become so sexualized, obscene and violent that it is not funny anymore. I am looking at it over a span of decades and see where it's trajectory is heading. And it is frightening. Obscenities, nakedness and open sexuality, gratuitous violence. Our entertainment is a reflection of ourselves. I stopped subscribing to pay TV long ago. Now I just watch PBS or selective programming that I pick up with digital antenna. Why pay for garbage and the endless commercial ads. Or better yet pick up a book, or listen to relaxing music, or write a pen letter to a friend. Or just take a walk. Or silently meditate.

Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually you got it backwards. We're getting sharper at artwork. At least in television, movies are pretty bad. I've been impressed with the dizzying number of quality shows that span a broad horizon of interests.

Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Sons of Anarchy
The Sopranos
Arrow
The Flash
Gotham
Agents of Shield
Daredevil
Supernatural
Vampire Diaries
True Blood
The Wire

These are off the top of my head. It's like a renaissance

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alot of people like to think what they perceive as Christian is really something all together different. For example the word modesty is mentioned in scriptures and we are to avoid that which defiles us in the world; so if any aspect of the entertainment industry provides an ample supply in presentation and practices of immodest or immoral actions, then shouldn't we refrain from partaking and accepting the material or subject matter provided?

Yet many people do......

If we look at today's standards in television, along with the media and the entertainment industry as a whole. "Is it not obvious that genuine healthy censorship that protects society is lacking and vulgarity, nudity, immodesty, etc. is rampant and seemingly growing exponentially?"

If we are to remain steadfast in faith, steering clear of that which is immoral in both representation and presentation... then why do so many clearly believe that it okay to sip from the waters of that which is perceived as producers of corruption?

Are we not told.....

1 John 2:10-20King James Version (KJV)

10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.

13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.

14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

And also....

Ephesians 5 New International Version (NIV)

5 1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[a] 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14 This is why it is said:

“Wake up, sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.”
15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And...

1 Timothy 2:8-10King James Version (KJV)

8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Actually you got it backwards. We're getting sharper at artwork. At least in television, movies are pretty bad. I've been impressed with the dizzying number of quality shows that span a broad horizon of interests.

snip... loads of good shows...

These are off the top of my head. It's like a renaissance
It really is a renaissance. We always used to joke about the standard of US TV shows. We don't anymore - many of these are the most popular things on TV over here.

I can't say the same for movies. I'm also not at all convinced that they're better than they used to be. Or music, though every generation thinks their music was better than what follows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It really is a renaissance. We always used to joke about the standard of US TV shows. We don't anymore - many of these are the most popular things on TV over here.

I can't say the same for movies. I'm also not at all convinced that they're better than they used to be. Or music, though every generation thinks their music was better than what follows.

In a way it is sort of true for music.

The playlist for 'my era' spans over 20 years. There are a lot more really good songs on that list than the current top 40 can compete with.

The impression is false however. I've gotten some leads from people here who have some taste and found that when I wander through songs that span the last 20 years there are plenty of very good songs. Not as many as for the 20 year period I spent over 20 years exploring, but then I found out that even today there are songs from my youth that you will not find online unless you know exactly where to look. I suspect the same holds for more recent songs, likely more so.

Upvote 0

2ndCovanent

Apr 23, 2015
✟15,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think once someone becomes a christian they should realise that we shouldn't be spending so much time by ourselves doing things like watching tv/gaming/any individual hobby any person can have. We should probably spend more time with our community. All things are permissible but not all are helpful. And some things that seem fine actually have implications about them that say they shouldn't be fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
In a way it is sort of true for music.

The playlist for 'my era' spans over 20 years. There are a lot more really good songs on that list than the current top 40 can compete with.

The impression is false however. I've gotten some leads from people here who have some taste and found that when I wander through songs that span the last 20 years there are plenty of very good songs. Not as many as for the 20 year period I spent over 20 years exploring, but then I found out that even today there are songs from my youth that you will not find online unless you know exactly where to look. I suspect the same holds for more recent songs, likely more so.
Good music has always been in the background, in the underground or now, on the internet. I'd argue this is the best generation for music, all things considered. So much more choice and availability than before.

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
carlam
one solution is to enjoy the British period pieces about the classics. They are revisited very currently, for example, DEATH COMES TO PEMBERLEY is an extension of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Granted it has a murder mystery in it, but that's just one event of many that are rich in drama. Most of the time in these British pieces and series (DCTP is 3 parts), objectionable stuff is off-stage, which means the implications, not the visuals, are dealt with by the writer. Which is far more engaging.

Netflix has many of these although not always streamed; you might have to get DVD. Lots and lots of Austen and Hardy and Elliott.

I work on motion-picture scripts so if you have a hard time finding good material, drop me a PM and I'll help you out further.

Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
songs, music, tv, movies.
they are all so sexual, violent.
it isn't entertainment for me. i cant watch it with a guiltless conscious. i know what i am watching or listening to is wrong.
i wish people would join me to making something entertaining Christians can enjoy.

i think i will like my life better if i would just devote it to Christ all the way and never find entertainment in sin again.

Then...how can you possible read the entirety of the Bibile? There's tons of sex and violence in it.

Some of the Psalms are pretty much straight up sexual descriptions.

If you were to try to film The Old Testament with HBO's budget, without changing a thing (that also means no censoring AT ALL) You would get something that rivals Game of Thrones in terms of sex and violence.

So, if regular TV is too sexual and violent and vulgar for you...you'd better hide your Bible then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums