inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It stands to reason that "Natural Laws" we identify were designed by God to do what they do.
For me, I think this is really the only way theistic evolution can work by saying that God created the laws of nature and the code of life and that is what creates things. He may have also created the first living organism because I cannot see that life can naturally come from non-life without some outside help. Scientists have tried to explain and prove how simple life came about but this seems an impossible task to a naturalistic process. Even the other steps such as DNA, proteins, genes and all the components that are involved in gene production are hard to explain in terms of how they could have evolved by a naturalistic process. That is why I think there had to be some codes or instructions involved that were around from the beginning that guided these things.

The search for the natural determinants of organic form-the celebrated "Laws of Form"-was seen as one of the major tasks of biology. After Darwin, this Platonic conception of form was abandoned and natural selection, not natural law, was increasingly seen to be the main, if not the exclusive, determinant of organic form. However, in the case of one class of very important organic forms-the basic protein folds-advances in protein chemistry since the early 1970s have revealed that they represent a finite set of natural forms, determined by a number of generative constructional rules, like those which govern the formation of atoms or crystals, in which functional adaptations are clearly secondary modifications of primary "givens of physics." The folds are evidently determined by natural law, not natural selection, and are "lawful forms" in the Platonic and pre-Darwinian sense of the word, which are bound to occur everywhere in the universe where the same 20 amino acids are used for their construction.
The protein folds as platonic forms: new support for the pre-Darwinian conception of evolution by natural law. - PubMed - NCBI

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is why I think there had to be some codes or instructions involved that were around from the beginning that guided these things.

And my conclusion is that they were engineered and designed to do just exactly what they have done.

Reactions: stevevw
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And my conclusion is that they were engineered and designed to do just exactly what they have done.

Engineering and design are what limited creatures do. Go has no need of figuring anything out. He merely creates.

I'm puzzled as to why a theist would think God is capable of producing everything naturally, but life. That would be no problem for an omnipotent being, but I suppose it would be entirely out of reach for the little "space alien designer" of the IDers.

However, it has nothing to do with Darwinian theory. Darwin himself supposed that God just created the first living things.

So even a limited God would be consisted with Darwnian theory. Wouldn't be consistent with Christianity, though.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Engineering and design are what limited creatures do. Go has no need of figuring anything out. He merely creates.

I'm puzzled as to why a theist would think God is capable of producing everything naturally, but life. That would be no problem for an omnipotent being, but I suppose it would be entirely out of reach for the little "space alien designer" of the IDers.

However, it has nothing to do with Darwinian theory. Darwin himself supposed that God just created the first living things.

So even a limited God would be consisted with Darwnian theory. Wouldn't be consistent with Christianity, though.
What do you mean naturally? Perhaps what we think is natural is Gods way of creating things. Human perspective just equates it to natural. Natural may involve a lot more intricacies that we do not understand. Our understanding of cause and effect may be limited. But in our limited understanding, we can attribute some element of design that seems to point to there being intelligence behind what we see. How that is created is beyond us though. That is why I think the Bible talks about Gods creation can be intuitively connected to things unseen because it is more than just a random process that somehow fell into place.

Even the beginning of existence had some laws involved. Science has discovered that even the very split second the big bang started the parameters for our universe and how it ended up had to have been set on a precise trajectory. Behind everything we think is caused by naturalistic processes are laws, codes, programs beyond what we can understand. We just try and explain things as best we can with our limited understanding as to cause and effect.

Although it can make some sense to us we end up finding that there is a whole lot more to what we see and thought as we uncover another layer of what we perceive as reality. The thing is the more we peel away the more it seems to not make sense to the naturalistic and materialistic world view of things and point to there being some method, design and intelligence that is even beyond what we could fully comprehend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do you mean naturally? Perhaps what we think is natural is Gods way of creating things.

You're starting to get it.

Human perspective just equates it to natural.

Nature is God's creation. It's the way He does most things in this world.

Natural may involve a lot more intricacies that we do not understand.

Of course it does. But God made it knowable and learnable, specifically for us.

Our understanding of cause and effect may be limited.

If you don't realize that divine providence transcends cause and effect, then you will not understand Aquinas' description of it. God can use necessity and contingency to effect His purposes.

But in our limited understanding, we can attribute some element of design that seems to point to there being intelligence behind what we see. How that is created is beyond us though. That is why I think the Bible talks about Gods creation can be intuitively connected to things unseen because it is more than just a random process that somehow fell into place.

Evolution, for example. Darwin's great discovery was that it isn't random.

Even the beginning of existence had some laws involved.

Not actually. If we could recreate the conditions at beginning, then the laws would be as they were then. Decoupling obeyed the same laws we have today, and matter condensed out of the initial expansion only when it cooled sufficiently to let electrons and protons come together to form hydrogen.

Whether it happened by design or by contingent processes doesn't matter at all to God.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're starting to get it.
So what is the difference between what the world view of natural represents and what natural means as far as Gods creation? I think there is some ambiguity when it comes to what exactly Natural means. Some can interpret this as being naturalistic as in that it only relates to a materialistic view that everything can be explained within a material cause and there is nothing beyond this.

Yet if God works through natural occurrences then there is an intrinsic super naturalism associated with it. Though we may only understand nature in what we can see and measure as far as cause and effect there may be other things going on. This would as I mentioned relate back to Gods invisible forces being seen in what is seen as the bible says.
Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

So, what is interpreted as natural can change all the time according to a worldview?

Nature is God's creation. It's the way He does most things in this world.
I agree but what you interpret as nature someone else especially someone without belief will have a different understanding. A good example would by Dark energy or matter. The materialistic explanation of how the universe can hold matter together needs to be in accordance with the scientific materialist’s view which has to conform to predetermined ideas about reality which may not necessarily be correct.

Ideas like gravity are being questioned just like evolution is being questioned. What dark matter may be is something beyond what we understand which may not fit in with the materialist view. This is the crux of the matter as far as what natural means. It is our view of reality and this is itself being questioned especially through Quantum physics. It may be that what we observe with quantum physics is just peak into Gods creation (the invisible part that is) which we will never understand but yet we see its end result. So natural can be a very slippery concept.

Of course it does. But God made it knowable and learnable, specifically for us.
But learnable in what sense. The scientific view of nature takes a particular position which I think is based on atheism or what is call scientism. For example, the interpretations they will place on something will be presupposed as having a material cause. (No God required). I think there is a philosophical position behind interpretations of natural occurrences.

Materialism and its theories can be traced as far back as the poem The Nature of Things, written in the first century B.C. by Lucretius. Other defining works include The System of Nature by Paul d'Holbach, Force and Matter by Ludwig Buchner, and the more recent research done by Richard Vitzthum, An Affirmative History and Definition (1996).
Materialism

So, this will bias someones worldview and they will interpret observations a certain way. IE the fine-tuning of the universe for intelligent life will not have anything to do with a creator God but be the result of naturalistic processes IE a Multiverse. God was not involved in how everything began before the big bang but rather nothing was able to create something because nothing is really something but just a different kind of something. Scientists will go to great lengths to find naturalistic causes and therefore interpret everything a certain way that may not be correct.

If you don't realize that divine providence transcends cause and effect, then you will not understand Aquinas' description of it. God can use necessity and contingency to effect His purposes.
What do you mean divine providence transcends cause and effect. If it did then we would not necessarily put so much faith in the explanation’s scientific materialistic causes of what we see.

Evolution, for example. Darwin's great discovery was that it isn't random.
That’s what people say. But in reality, the overall process of evolution is mostly random. Evolution is not just natural selection but also mutation, genetic drift and the environment. Three out of these four forces are random. For living things to evolve into a fitter and more complex life there needs to be an awful lot of beneficial mutation. The problem is most beneficial mutations are rare and only slight. They can often be lost and not fixed especially in small populations when it comes to genetic drift.

But even without drift, it can be a hit and miss process. What may be of benefit in one way comes with a cost where the overall function is negatively affected such as with sickle cell. It has to break a gene to allow it to resist malaria. So, the benefit comes at a cost to overall health and it will only be of benefit in certain conditions. The benefits are environmentally dependent. If the environment chops and changes the chances of any benefit is hit and miss. Natural selection has no foresight as to what is coming and because of changing environments what is of benefit now can be harmful in the next instance.

Natural selection is rarely strong and able to cover all directions to always be selecting the same mutation that is of most benefit so in some way’s selection is also slightly random. That is why there had to have been some additional direction with how variation was made in the first place. That is why the processes I spoke about with the EES are so important as they produce variation that is beneficial in the first place and adds more direction to evolution. Natural selection can only work on what it is given and is not a creator of variation itself.

God had to have installed some mechanisms that enabled living things to have some control and self-organisation in being able to live on earth. Between random mutations and natural selection, it is not enough, and many scientists are realizing this now. Besides, ask any person who does not believe in God and they will tell you that evolution is capable of creating life by itself without any help from God. It is capable of creating greater complexity out of something simpler. Adding a deeper level of information where there was none which is impossible.

Not actually. If we could recreate the conditions at the beginning, then the laws would be as they were then. Decoupling obeyed the same laws we have today, and matter condensed out of the initial expansion only when it cooled sufficiently to let electrons and protons come together to form hydrogen.

Whether it happened by design or by contingent processes doesn't matter at all to God.
Then why do scientists talk about how the universe is so finely tuned even from its beginning to have been able to create the universe we have which produced intelligent sentient life. Roger Penrose talks about the initial fine tuning of the big bang and the chances of a random event producing the universe we have that sustains intelligent life.

According to Penrose, the odds against such an occurrence were on the order of 10 to the power of 10123 to 1.
Teleological Argument and Entropy

Because the big bang was said to be a random naturalistic event the outcome could have been one of billions. Any slight variation in our physical constants and we would not have produced the exact conditions we have. For example

Carbon resonance and the strong force. Although the abundance of hydrogen, helium and lithium are well-explained by known physical principles, the formation of heavier elements, beginning with carbon, very sensitively depends on the balance of the strong and weak forces. If the strong force were slightly stronger or slightly weaker (by just 1% in either direction), there would be no carbon or any heavier elements anywhere in the universe, and thus no carbon-based life forms like us to ask why.
When science and philosophy collide in a 'fine-tuned' universe

So even from the very first split second of the big bang, the parameters had to be just right to get the right physical conditions otherwise this would compound the conditions in the wrong direction and with the wrong conditions.

The ripples in the universe left over from the original ‘Big Bang’ singularity (often referred to as CMB, or cosmic background radiation) are detectable at one part in 105 (100,000). If this factor were even slightly smaller, the cosmos would exist exclusively as a collection of gas -- stars, planets and galaxies would not exist. Conversely, if this factor were increased slightly, the universe would consist only of large black holes. Either way, the universe would be uninhabitable.
Cosmic Fine Tuning

This is why many scientists use the multiverse argument to counter our finely tuned universe. If there were billions of other universes out there then our so-called finely tuned one would not be so special as there would be many slightly varying alternatives and ours would just be one that was suited for our particular existence. But there would be many other types of life and perhaps another you and me in a slightly different universe do slightly different things.

As the strong anthropic principle highlights (see Section 3.2), the universe in which we, as observers, find ourselves must be one where the conditions are compatible with the existence of observers. This suggests that, on the assumption that there is a sufficiently diverse multiverse, it is neither surprising that there is at least one universe that is hospitable to life nor—since we could not have found ourselves in a life-hostile universe—that we find ourselves in a life-friendly one. Many physicists (e.g., Susskind [2005], Greene [2011], Tegmark [2014]) and philosophers (e.g., Leslie [1989], Smart [1989], Parfit [1998], Bradley [2009]) regard this line of thought as suggesting the inference to a multiverse as a rational response to the finding that the conditions are right for life in our universe despite the required fine-tuning.
Fine-Tuning (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

That’s why there had to have been some sort of guidance and laws in place even before the big bang happened. The same for life itself there had to be some laws and codes in place that guide life. This is another example of how the world materialist view cannot explain events like our existence coming into being without some guiding force.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can someone please explain to me what Theistic Evolution is. Are there different versions of this. If Theistic Evolution is just the world view version of evolution with God thrown in as the initiator of life then what is the difference between Theistic Evolution and the world view version. Isn't this just reducing Gods role down to abiogenesis which is not really a part of evolution anyway as evolution begins at the point the first single living cell is in existence already? If Theistic evolution starts after God created the first single-celled life then there is no need to include God at all as this is irrelevant to evolution.
What I understand about theistic evolution and I've debated them for years now, is that they are fine with universal common descent as a philosophy of natural history. They see the Genesis account of creation as largely, if not entirely figurative, not holding to a literal interpretation of Genesis 1 at all. They can range from devout traditional Christians to a more superficial Liberal Theology type of a world view. Francis Collins for instance, the head of the Human Genome Project, is a theistic evolutionist.

Now I don't like to be contentious with anyone who is not contentious with me but a figurative interpretation of Genesis 1 has profound theological implications from my point of view. If God didn't create life in the first place what does that mean for the New Testament promise of eternal life? The Nicene Creed speaks of creation in the first three stanzas, we do well to take note when considering some of the theological issues related. Genesis 1 is written in absolute terms, I could get into that but it's better not to invite a debate that will just muddy the waters here. I've just spent a lot of time on the subject matter and I'm not impressed with Darwinian evolution and really not interested in a view of natural history that makes exclusively naturalistic assumptions regarding the origin of life.

I could go on, but that's it in a nutshell from my experience.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is that like Richard Dawkins quote that life gives the appearance of being designed but its not, the Blind Watchmaker. But surely that is not how Theistic evolution works. That would be more like supernatural creation. I think when Christians say their support Theistic evolution that is supporting Darwin's theory except they believe God is behind this, God uses evolution to help living things survive on planet earth.

The main difference is a world view believes the process is blind, purposeless and happens through naturalistic processes that can create a more evolved life. As opposed to Theistic evolution that has a purpose and is guided by Gods laws and codes that are behind all living things. So even though the process is much the same between a world view and theistic evolution it is the interpretation of what we see that makes the difference. On the one hand are random mutations throwing up variations and natural selection sifting through neutral and deleterious mutations to find rare beneficial ones that will gradually create a fitter and more complex life.

God uses evolution by providing what may appear to be random mutations which are actually part of a number of mechanisms that can utilize pre-existing genetic info/codes to vary life so it can adapt to changing environments. There are other processes such as through development and the ability of creatures to self organise and share genetic info that also helps them vary and adapt. God installed a raft of mechanisms for life to live on planet earth. It is just that a world view of evolution will have a different perspective on this. They will restrict evolution down to one process which is centred around adaptations because this is more of a mathematical process that is easier to use as a self-creating mechanism.
There you go, you seem to have a handle on the basic conflict here. Evolution starts at creation, if you can imagine the creatures that inhabited the Ark of Noah disembarking to become the diversity we see all around us without adaptive evolution you have a much more vivid imagination then I do.

I will add, I've spent a great deal of time on Paleontology and the hominid fossils (human ancestors) and comparative genomics, comparisons between chimpanzees and human DNA. If the conversation some how drifts there I can be of more help but at this point you look like you have your hands full. I've also did extensive studies with regards to the creation account in Genesis 1 and the New Testament regarding creation. If your ever interested just let me know and I'll be following the thread in case there is anything I can contribute to help the discussion along.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Reactions: stevevw
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So what is the difference between what the world view of natural represents and what natural means as far as Gods creation?

Remarkably, one can understand the workings of nature without any regard to God at all. He could have left something to show us that He was the creator, but He chose not to do so. Free will seems to be very important to Him, and if he made belief mandatory for any rational being, that would not be free.

I think there is some ambiguity when it comes to what exactly Natural means. Some can interpret this as being naturalistic as in that it only relates to a materialistic view that everything can be explained within a material cause and there is nothing beyond this.

Science is methodologically naturalistic, like plumbing. Ontological naturalism is impossible in systems like science and plumbing, which have no way of determining such things. Science and plumbing can't know anything about God.

But scientists and plumbers can.

Yet if God works through nature or natural occurrences then there is an intrinsic supernaturalism associated with it. Though we may only understand nature in what we can see and measure as far as cause and effect there may be other things going on. This would as I mentioned relate back to Gods invisible forces being seen in what is seen as the bible says.
Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

This is St. Paul's way of explaining natural law; the notion that gentiles are justified by the law written in their hearts. The Golden Rule, and much, much more. Being out alone or with my dog, and seeing nature as it is, often involves a religious epiphany for me. But not for many others. Belief opens one's eyes to the world He made in a way that complements, but does not replace science.

But God made it knowable and learnable, specifically for us.

But learnable in what sense.

In the sense that we can figure out how it works and use it to our ends.

What do you mean divine providence transcends cause and effect.

Because God can use either necessity or contingency to effect His will.

If it did then we would not necessarily put so much faith in the explanation’s scientific materialistic causes of what we see.

Don't see how. After all, we see both operating in this universe.

That’s what people say. But in reality, the overall process of evolution is mostly random.

Observably, it tends to increase fitness in a population. This cannot be random. But there is much random evolution, particularly with mutations that are only very slightly harmful or only very slightly beneficial.

Evolution is not just natural selection but also mutation, genetic drift and the environment. Three out of these four forces are random.

Not always. Darwin's observation about organisms altering their environment applies here. And from a systems perspective, random processes, combine with non-random processes, are non-random.

For living things to evolve into a fitter and more complex life there needs to be an awful lot of beneficial mutation.

Which is what we observe. Hall's bacteria, for example. Or the remarkably fast evolution of a new digestive organ in Adriatic lizards, when moved to a new environment. A series of evolutionary changes quickly (in a matter of two decades) adapted them to their new home.

The problem is most beneficial mutations are rare and only slight. They can often be lost and not fixed especially in small populations when it comes to genetic drift.

It looks more impressive than it is, because we only see the winners, not the countless losers.

But even without drift, it can be a hit and miss process.

It was for demonstrating that, that Luria and Delbruck got their Nobels. Our adaptation to bipedal movment is definitely suboptimal. But it's fairly recent, so maybe not finished.

What may be of benefit in one way comes with a cost where the overall function is negatively affected such as with sickle cell. It has to break a gene to allow it to resist malaria.

The gene isn't broken. It still works, just not very well. But since heterozygotes have a much better chance of living long enough to reproduce, a person with one HbS gene is much more fit (in an area with endemic malaria) than a person with two normal genes.

Which means that half the offspring of two heterozygotes (or a heterozygote and a homozygous normal) will be more fit than normals.

But it doesn't end there. Initially a lot of half-solutions to natural selection, aren't very good, even if they are better than what was before. But now, we see a new mutation spreading in malaria areas. HbC still provides excellent resistance to malaria, but homozygotes are much less prone to disability and death than homozygotes for HbS. Apparently, it doesn't prevent infections, but prevents severe symptoms.

An improvement from an evolutionary standpoint, since it increases the likelihood of one's offspring living long enough to reproduce.

If the environment chops and changes the chances of any benefit is hit and miss.

And we see the frequency of HbS in people whose ancestors lived in West Africa, declining if they live in areas where malaria is not endemic.

Natural selection has no foresight as to what is coming and because of changing environments what is of benefit now can be harmful in the next instance.

Right.

Natural selection is rarely strong and able to cover all directions to always be selecting the same mutation that is of most benefit so in some way’s selection is also slightly random.

Like HbS and HbC. Natural selection merely selects from what is there. It is creation only in the sense that it determines what alleles will be present, in what frequency, for the next generation.

God had to have installed some mechanisms that enabled living things to have some control and self-organisation in being able to live on earth.

He created a universe in which such organisms, and such mechanisms would evolve naturally.

Between random mutations and natural selection, it is not enough, and many scientists are realizing this now. Besides, ask any person who does not believe in God and they will tell you that evolution is capable of creating life by itself without any help from God.

They'd be rather ignorant if they thought so. Evolution is not about the origin of life. Darwin, for example, just supposed that God created the first living things. God, however says that the earth produced the first living things as He intended. So it seems that He was great enough to make that happen naturally, after all.

It is capable of creating greater complexity out of something simpler. Adding a deeper level of information where there was none which is impossible.

Let's see how that works. Suppose we have a population with a certain gene locus with 2 allles, each with a frequency of 0.5. Suppose there is a mutation producing a third allele, and eventually, each of them then have a frequency of about 0.333. (I'm using these numbers to make computation easy, but you can change them, if you like)

What was the information for that gene when there were two alleles and what was the information when there were three? If there's a difference in information, from where did it come?

Not actually. If we could recreate the conditions at the beginning, then the laws would be as they were then. Decoupling obeyed the same laws we have today, and matter condensed out of the initial expansion only when it cooled sufficiently to let electrons and protons come together to form hydrogen.

Then why do scientists talk about how the universe is so finely tuned even from its beginning to have been able to create the universe we have which produced intelligent sentient life.

Let's put a finer point on it. How was the universe so finely tuned that it was able to produce you?

The strong anthropic principle (SAP) says that the universe is as it is, because we are here. The weak anthropic principle (WAP) says that the universe is the way it is, because if it was different, we wouldn't be here to see it. One last version says that it is the way it is, because it was designed by a designer. This is sometimes referred to as the completely ridiculous anthropic principle.

Obviously, an omnipotent creator doesn't need to design. And as Aquinas says, He can use necessity or contingency in His divine providence.[/quote]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
What I understand about theistic evolution and I've debated them for years now, is that they are fine with universal common descent as a philosophy of natural history. They see the Genesis account of creation as largely, if not entirely figurative, not holding to a literal interpretation of Genesis 1 at all. They can range from devout traditional Christians to a more superficial Liberal Theology type of a world view. Francis Collins for instance, the head of the Human Genome Project, is a theistic evolutionist.

Now I don't like to be contentious with anyone who is not contentious with me but a figurative interpretation of Genesis 1 has profound theological implications from my point of view. If God didn't create life in the first place what does that mean for the New Testament promise of eternal life? The Nicene Creed speaks of creation in the first three stanzas, we do well to take note when considering some of the theological issues related. Genesis 1 is written in absolute terms, I could get into that but it's better not to invite a debate that will just muddy the waters here. I've just spent a lot of time on the subject matter and I'm not impressed with Darwinian evolution and really not interested in a view of natural history that makes exclusively naturalistic assumptions regarding the origin of life.

Grace and peace,
Mark
I've been debating this online for years as well and as far as I can tell Theistic Evolutionists (myself included) don't hold to the idea that God didn't create life. We simply hold to the belief that God didn't create life as described in a literal interpretation of Genesis 1 and 2.

For the most part we believe that God set the universe in motion knowing how it would end up. A literal interpretation of Genesis causes too many conflicts with the evidence God left behind.

• Agree
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What I understand about theistic evolution and I've debated them for years now, is that they are fine with universal common descent as a philosophy of natural history.

I don't see anything in it that would require philosophy. It's just the most reasonable inference, given the evidence.

They see the Genesis account of creation as largely, if not entirely figurative, not holding to a literal interpretation of Genesis 1 at all.

Nor did ancient Christians like St. Augustine. The important thing to remember, is that those who take a strict literal view are no less real Christians than those who do not.

They can range from devout traditional Christians to a more superficial Liberal Theology type of a world view. Francis Collins for instance, the head of the Human Genome Project, is a theistic evolutionist.

Fascinating guy. Raised by cultural Christians, became an agnostic, then found God and became a Christian. His story is well worth reading. Try The Language of God.

Now I don't like to be contentious with anyone who is not contentious with me but a figurative interpretation of Genesis 1 has profound theological implications from my point of view. If God didn't create life in the first place what does that mean for the New Testament promise of eternal life?

According to Genesis, He created it by natural means. What's wrong with that? It's good with evolutionary theory; Darwin suggested that God created the first living things.

I'm not impressed with Darwinian evolution

It's directly observed. It's a remarkably simple and effective way to produce new species. And well within the capabilities of God.

and really not interested in a view of natural history that makes exclusively naturalistic assumptions regarding the origin of life.

Evolutionary theory makes no assumptions about the origin of life. Even Darwin thought God just created the first living things.

I could go on, but that's it in a nutshell from my experience.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see anything in it that would require philosophy. It's just the most reasonable inference, given the evidence.

It's all philosophy, theistic evolution is impervious to theological inference.
Nor did ancient Christians like St. Augustine. The important thing to remember, is that those who take a strict literal view are no less real Christians than those who do not.

The first five books of the Old Testament and New Testament are historic narratives, there is no wiggling out of that. You can't make the Genesis account of creation figurative without doing irreparable damage to the hermetics of Scripture at large and Darwinians know this.

Fascinating guy. Raised by cultural Christians, became an agnostic, then found God and became a Christian. His story is well worth reading. Try The Language of God.
Francis Collins accepts the New Testament along with the miracles, that makes him alright with me. I think he is too cozy with Darwinians like Dawkins but seems sincere and honest. Love his work but have some real reservations with his ideas about the Genesis 1 account of creation.
According to Genesis, He created it by natural means. What's wrong with that? It's good with evolutionary theory; Darwin suggested that God created the first living things.

What's wrong with that you ask, oh, just about everything including the language of the text. The phrase, 'heaven and the earth', is a Hebrew expression meaning the universe. All we really get from this passage is that the cosmos and earth were created, 'in the beginning'. The perspective of creation week is from the surface of the earth, starting with the Spirit of God hovering over the deep (Gen. 1:2). In the chapter there are three words used for God's work in creation. The first is 'created' ('bara' H1254) a very precise term used only of God.

Create ‘bara’ (H1254) - 'This verb has profound theological significance, since it has only God as it’s subject. Only God can create in the sense implied by bara. The verb expresses the idea of creation out of nothing...(Vines Expository Dictionary)
God created the universe (Gen. 1:1), life in general (1:21) and man in particular (Gen. 1:27). The term 'bara' is used once for original creation, once for the creation of life and three times for the creation of Adam and Eve. God also created Israel:

Especially striking is the use of bara in Isaiah 40-65. Out of 49 occurrences of the verb in the Old Testament, 20 are in these chapters. Because Isaiah writes prophetically to the Jews in Exile, he speaks of comfort based upon God’s past benefits and blessings to His people. Isaiah especially wants to show that, since Yahweh is the Creator, His is able to deliver His people from captivity. The God of Israel has created all things: “I have made the earth, and created (bara) man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens and all their host have I commanded” (Isa. 45:12). The gods of Babylon are impotent nonentities (Isa. 44:12-20; 46:1-7), and so Israel can expect God to triumph by effecting a new creation, (Isa.: 43:16-21; 65:17-25). (Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words: By W. E. Vine, Merrill Unger)​

This account of creation was literally written in stone, it's part of the Ten Commandments and the whole reason for the Sabbath.

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. (Gen. 20:11)​

God created life which is distinctly different from pagan myths, when tracing things back to original creation they invariably ended up with an elemental deity, earth, air, fire or water. This Babylonian myth indicates two water elementals, fresh and salt water apparently:

When in the height heaven was not named,
And the earth beneath did not yet bear a name,
And the primeval Apsu, who begat them,
And chaos, Tiamut, the mother of them both
Their waters were mingled together,
And no field was formed, no marsh was to be seen;
When of the gods none had been called into being. (Enuma Elish, the Epic of Creation)​

Notice at creation the 'gods' didn't even exist. In pagan mythology the elementals gave rise to the gods, not the other way around. In the Genesis account it is uniquely different.

It's directly observed. It's a remarkably simple and effective way to produce new species. And well within the capabilities of God.

At the level of species, maybe even genus, but beyond that it's pure speculation:

As Charles Carter, in a published review of our recent paper in Biology Direct[5], puts it:

“I, for one, have never subscribed to this view of the origin of life, and I am by no means alone. The RNA world hypothesis is driven almost entirely by the flow of data from very high technology combinatorial libraries, whose relationship to the prebiotic world is anything but worthy of “unanimous support”. There are several serious problems associated with it, and I view it as little more than a popular fantasy” (reviewer's report in [5]). (The RNA world hypothesis: the worst theory of the early evolution of life except for all the others. NCBI)​

Evolutionary theory makes no assumptions about the origin of life. Even Darwin thought God just created the first living things.

No he doesn't:

The doctrine that species, including man, are descended from other species...being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition.’ (Preface, On the Origin of Species)​

This for me sums up the choices, scientifically and theologically:

Creation and evolution, between them, exhaust the possible explanations for the origin of living things. Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from preexisting species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must indeed have been created by some omnipotent intelligence.(D.J. Futuyma, Science on Trial)​

Grace and peace,
Mark

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There you go, you seem to have a handle on the basic conflict here. Evolution starts at creation, if you can imagine the creatures that inhabited the Ark of Noah disembarking to become the diversity we see all around us without adaptive evolution you have a much more vivid imagination then I do.
Thank you for the reply and info. Evolution beginning at creation for me can mean different things. Though the broad assumption is that God has to be involved in creating life somehow and somewhere in the process this could be in a number of ways. For example in line with Genesis God may have created the first kinds of creatures on the phylum level and all life evolved from this. There may have been all the genetic info (code or blueprint for life) in those first kinds and therefore evolution is based on switching on or off that info. Considering that most people accept at least microevolution (evolution within a limit which is usually on the species level) this seems reasonable. Also, species has always had an ambiguous meaning and what may be deemed as a genus, family and order are just larger variations of the same kind.

Or God may have created the first universal organism and all life evolved from this. All the genetic info could have been in this as well considering that we see in the Cambrian explosion the sudden appearance of all the basic body plans of the main phyla of life suddenly appearing. Even for the worldview of evolution that would imply that a Precambrian organism had all the genetic info for what we have seen in the Cambrian explosion. I think this version is reasonable as well.

I think either version fits in well with a lot of the evidence we see especially in evolutionary developmental biology where all life has similar developmental programs (modules) that have produced certain forms rather than any number of possible alternative forms which implies that these developmental programs had to have been around from a very early stage. Other evidence has been found in a number of research papers showing how for example even ancient bacteria is similar to modern ones, the ability for bacteria to resist antibiotics has been around millions of years at least.

Both these versions also fit in well with aspects of the traditional theory of evolution such as with Common Descent. You could probably come up with other versions that take a different approach to these two in varying degrees but the common theme in all is that God had to have been involved and install the genetic info from the beginning and give life the ability to adapt to changing environments. It is just the difference in how the evidence is interpreted. What mechanisms allow living things to change.

Darwins natural selection is an easy concept to understand and logical idea. I think it is more mathematically based then than being a process for change because there is a lot it cannot explain and account for. One is it only acts on what is already there so something else had to have directed life in the first place. The variations produced had to have been more beneficial than random mutations could have created. So some self-organisation and self-determination had to be involved. I like to think that living things were not just passive participants and subject to the control of adaptation only but there are other influences that produce well suited and integrated variation that living things need to survive.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since God tells us in Genesis that He created life by natural means, that's pretty much a given. But of course, evolutionary theory isn't about the origin of life. Since evolution isn't about the origin of life, that leaves us with the earth bringing forth living things.

That's using nature to bring about life. No way to deny it.

Most Christians don't hold to a literal history in Genesis, since the text itself has logical inconsistencies when re-interpreted as YE creationists do.

As far as the evidence for evolution is concerned, most creationist organizations admit the fact of speciation (which is directly observed) and many admit that new genera and families evolve. (except they say that isn't "real evolution")

However evolution is a change in allele frequency in a population over time, so yes, it's all evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is gravity itself being questioned or are we questioning how it works? Same question with regards to evolution.
Yes, well at least in this new theory which is gaining traction. The thing is theories change and some are even eliminated altogether for something completely different. The problem with some of the theories is that they conflict with some of the observations found in other theories like relativity and quantum physics so scientists have to come up with elaborate ideas to fit them in (ie gravity and quantum physics and string theoory) rather than abandon them altogether. I guess time will tell and the more we discover the more things may change. This new theory of Gravity which actually abandons Newtons theory fits in better with quantum physics which has always been a problem for the traditional theory.

Remarkable New Theory Says There's No Gravity, No Dark Matter, and Einstein Was Wrong

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for the reply and info. Evolution beginning at creation for me can mean different things. Though the broad assumption is that God has to be involved in creating life somehow and somewhere in the process this could be in a number of ways. For example in line with Genesis God may have created the first kinds of creatures on the phylum level and all life evolved from this. There may have been all the genetic info (code or blueprint for life) in those first kinds and therefore evolution is based on switching on or off that info. Considering that most people accept at least microevolution (evolution within a limit which is usually on the species level) this seems reasonable. Also, species has always had an ambiguous meaning and what may be deemed as a genus, family and order are just larger variations of the same kind.

Or God may have created the first universal organism and all life evolved from this. All the genetic info could have been in this as well considering that we see in the Cambrian explosion the sudden appearance of all the basic body plans of the main phyla of life suddenly appearing. Even for the worldview of evolution that would imply that a Precambrian organism had all the genetic info for what we have seen in the Cambrian explosion. I think this version is reasonable as well.

I think either version fits in well with a lot of the evidence we see especially in evolutionary developmental biology where all life has similar developmental programs (modules) that have produced certain forms rather than any number of possible alternative forms which implies that these developmental programs had to have been around from a very early stage. Other evidence has been found in a number of research papers showing how for example even ancient bacteria is similar to modern ones, the ability for bacteria to resist antibiotics has been around millions of years at least.

Both these versions also fit in well with aspects of the traditional theory of evolution such as with Common Descent. You could probably come up with other versions that take a different approach to these two in varying degrees but the common theme in all is that God had to have been involved and install the genetic info from the beginning and give life the ability to adapt to changing environments. It is just the difference in how the evidence is interpreted. What mechanisms allow living things to change.

Darwins natural selection is an easy concept to understand and logical idea. I think it is more mathematically based then than being a process for change because there is a lot it cannot explain and account for. One is it only acts on what is already there so something else had to have directed life in the first place. The variations produced had to have been more beneficial than random mutations could have created. So some self-organisation and self-determination had to be involved. I like to think that living things were not just passive participants and subject to the control of adaptation only but there are other influences that produce well suited and integrated variation that living things need to survive.
You are talking about an astronomical amount of information to be generated:

Molecular biologists have recently estimated that a minimally complex single-celled organism would require between 318 and 562 kilobase pairs of DNA to produce the proteins necessary to maintain life (Koonin 2000). More complex single cells might require upward of a million base pairs. Yet to build the proteins necessary to sustain a complex arthropod such as a trilobite would require orders of magnitude more coding instructions. The genome size of a modern arthropod, the fruitfly Drosophila melanogaster, is approximately 180 million base pairs (Gerhart & Kirschner 1997:121, Adams et al. 2000). Transitions from a single cell to colonies of cells to complex animals represent significant (and, in principle, measurable) increases in CSI.

Building a new animal from a single-celled organism requires a vast amount of new genetic information. It also requires a way of arranging gene products–proteins–into higher levels of organization. New proteins are required to service new cell types. But new proteins must be organized into new systems within the cell; new cell types must be organized into new tissues, organs, and body parts. These, in turn, must be organized to form body plans. New animals, therefore, embody hierarchically organized systems of lower-level parts within a functional whole. Such hierarchical organization itself represents a type of information, since body plans comprise both highly improbable and functionally specified arrangements of lower-level parts. The specified complexity of new body plans requires explanation in any account of the Cambrian explosion. (The Origin of Biological Information and the Higher Taxonomic Categories. Stephen C. Meyer May 3, 2004. Philosophy of Science)
At every node of the Darwinian tree of life there are inescapable giant leaps required, not the least of which are changes and additions to the DNA. The emergence of man 2 million years ago happens suddenly, nearly doubling the size and complexity of the human brain without precursors and requiring a major overhaul of brain related genes and at least 60 de novo (brand new) brain related genes. That is in addition to every physical features making us uniquely human. Then a few hundred thousand years ago the Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon Man, have a cranial capacity 20% greater then our own. Previous to this giant leap 2 million years ago there were no precursors to humans for at least a million years except for Paranthropos, who could not have been one of our ancestors.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since God tells us in Genesis that He created life by natural means, that's pretty much a given. But of course, evolutionary theory isn't about the origin of life. Since evolution isn't about the origin of life, that leaves us with the earth bringing forth living things.

That's using nature to bring about life. No way to deny it.
The only problem I have with this is that through evolution does not involve how life began, whatever was responsible for how life began may well be supernatural. Even if we allow for ideas some have mentioned that could have created life those conditions had to have come from somewhere in the first place. So at some point, there had to be a supernatural intervention which does not fit in with the natural cause on earth or in our universe. The other problem is that as mentioned evolution needs something to work with. This is a problem right up until the point when most of the info needed for complex life is around. From the beginning, at every stage, there is an increase in information and complexity. So there was no pre-existing info or states for evolution to work from. or me that is why it makes more sense that even the info for complex life was somehow inherent from the beginning.

As far as the evidence for evolution is concerned, most creationist organizations admit the fact of speciation (which is directly observed) and many admit that new genera and families evolve. (except they say that isn't "real evolution")
As mentioned what is a species. Many species are a version of the same creature such as with bats. They are just about the same shape yet are called different species. Even Darwin said this was a problem and alluded to the idea that species could be classed differently and we could get rid of categories at least like genus and family. What we directly observe now is based on pre-existing genetic info. Natural selection is good at explaining the survival of the fittest but not the arrival of the fittest.

However evolution is a change in allele frequency in a population over time, so yes, it's all evolution.
But it is how those alleles change. If it is the result of pre-existing genetics being switched on or recombined though non-random processes then this is different to the traditional view of evolution and more in line with God installing some mechanisms such as codes or blueprints that governed how life changed.

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The only problem I have with this is that through evolution does not involve how life began, whatever was responsible for how life began may well be supernatural.

Darwin thought so. Not a problem for evolutionary theory.

Even if we allow for ideas some have mentioned that could have created life those conditions had to have come from somewhere in the first place. So at some point, there had to be a supernatural intervention which does not fit in with the natural cause on earth or in our universe.

You don't believe in miracles?

The other problem is that as mentioned evolution needs something to work with.

Yep. Evolutionary theory assumes that live began somehow, and only describes how living things change over time. If God just magically poofed the first living things into existence, it wouldn't matter to evolutionary theory.

From the beginning, at every stage, there is an increase in information and complexity.

No, that's wrong. Sometimes, there's simplification. The mammalian shoulder structure, for example, is less complex than the reptilian one. I suspect that you don't actually know how complexity is measured in living populations. Could you explain how you think it's done?

As mentioned what is a species. Many species are a version of the same creature such as with bats. They are just about the same shape yet are called different species.

Humans and chimpanzees are about the same shape, yet are called different species. In fact, bats show a much wider range of genes and anatomy than humans and chimpanzees.

Even Darwin said this was a problem and alluded to the idea that species could be classed differently and we could get rid of categories at least like genus and family.

Show us that.

What we directly observe now is based on pre-existing genetic info.

That's a common belief, but it's wrong. Suppose a population has a gene with two alleles, each with a frequency of 0.5. Imagine that there's a mutation producing a new allele, and it eventually spreads to the point that each of three alleles has about 0.333 frequency.

What was the information before the mutation and the information after the mutation? If these two numbers are not the same, from where did the information come, or where did it go? If you know this, you'll understand biological information.

Natural selection is good at explaining the survival of the fittest but not the arrival of the fittest.

As you know, Dr. Hall and the Grants showed how this works.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Notice at creation the 'gods' didn't even exist. In pagan mythology the elementals gave rise to the gods, not the other way around. In the Genesis account it is uniquely different.
This always fascinated me. Some things never change.

Upvote 0