Theistic Evolution ~ is it compatible with orthodox teaching & doctrine? .

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Very thought provoking and compelling posts, Macarius. Would that also apply to the concept of sickness prior to the fall of man? I mean with animals falling ill and suffering illness or would that also only apply to spiritual sickness and death?

Also, kind of an odd question: I know TE's have no issue with a First Cause as atheists do but what about entropy and the increasing complexity and persistence of life? I've heard arguments from creationists that evolution violates the law of entropy and the counter-arguments that sunlight/photosenthesis/etc. is what ultimately drives the propagation of and increasing complexity of life. How do Orthodox TE's believe on this issue?

Did life evolve without entropy prior to the fall or is entropy not a result of the fall?

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
[FONT=&quot]Elder Paisios[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of Mt. Athos: Epistles[/FONT][FONT=&quot], pg. 203-204[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As long as Adam loved God and observed His commandments, he dwelt in the Paradise of God and God abode in the paradisiacal heart of Adam. Naked Adam was clothed with the grace of God and surrounded by all the animals, he held and caressed them lovingly, and they, in turn, licked him devoutly, as their master. When Adam violated God’s commandment, he was stripped of the grace of God, clothed with a garment of skin and exiled from Paradise. Grace-filled Adam became wild, and many animals, because of Adam, were also made savage, and instead of approaching him with devoutness and licking him with love, they lashed out at him with rage in order to tear at or bite him. – (Holy Monastery “Evangelist John the Theologian” Souroti, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2002)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]St. Theophilus to Autolycus 2.17[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And the animals are named wild beasts [[/FONT][FONT=&quot]qhri/a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]], from their being hunted [[/FONT][FONT=&quot]qhreu/esqai[/FONT][FONT=&quot]], not as if they had been made evil or venomous from the first-for nothing was made evil by God,39 but all things good, yea, very good,-but the sin in which man was concerned brought evil upon them. For when man transgressed, they also transgressed with him. For as, if the master of the house himself acts rightly, the domestics also of necessity conduct themselves well; but if the master sins, the servants also sin with him; so in like manner it came to pass, that in the case of man's sin, he being master, all that was subject to him sinned with him. When, therefore, man again shall have made his way back to his natural condition, and no longer does evil, those also shall be restored to their original gentleness[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
if you accept macroevolution as being true from the beginning, then it is not. because death to some degree has always been around. death for us is a side effect of the Fall. I have yet to read any Father or holy elder say anything otherwise.

Well, I would never suggest that I am a perfect exemplar of what Western theology says. However, it seems to me this is rather begging the question in the present discussion - you are assuming that macroevolution is indeed incompatible with the history of Orthodoxy - which several well read Orthodox here dispute, and I know various learned Orthodox on the world stage also would disagree with.

If you read Western theology, it is quite clear that all creation has been understood to have fallen with humanity. You can say that those Westerners who believe in macroeveolution are being inconsistent (and not all do by any means), but that is the classic teaching.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
St. Michael is pure spirit - not at all physical. He isn't governed by the restrictions of the physical world.

We are. To suggest otherwise is pseudo-docetism.

I know, but our physical bodies back then were different than they are now. they were much more spiritualized, and more like Christ's after the Resurrection like our will be after the general Resurrection.

Additionally, even in a spiritual sense, the Devil therein underwent death. Michael, in changing (which implies time, which is a strange concept in the spiritual world anyway since it properly belongs to our material world), died. The Michael that existed BEFORE sending the Devil out was a different Michael from the one that existed AFTER.

so then the Gabriel that existed before the Anunciation died and there is a different Gabriel that announced the Birth to the sheepherds, and there is a third that spoke to Zacharias?

Death (in the animal, plant, or conceptual sense) is merely a change of states from "being" one way to "being" another way. For animals, this mode of being is purely physical. Their literal material self is absorbed by other animals or lifeforms (like bacteria) and used. For a spirit, undergoing change implies a new state of being (a new experience, for example). However, in both cases, no change of ontology has occured. No TRUE death has taken place.

I have heard that death is separation, any kind of separation, so the physical death of animals is a part of what disunites man from creation.

For the devil, for us when we fall, there is real death. We ontologically disunite from God and become other than what we were.

We need to define death. I'm defining death as "the ending of something." If NOTHING ended pre fall, then how did the days end? How were plants eaten? How was there evening and morning?

that might be your definition of death, but it seems to me that, like I said before, death is separtation: man from woman, man from creation, man from God, angels from God, etc.

What do YOU mean by death? Is it the ending of a life? What is life? Unity to God. Does an animal, without an immortal or rational soul, separate from God by dying? Of course not. In so much as that animal was part of God's creation and the entirety of its material self remains part of that creation, the creation itself remains united to God.

How can a being without an immortal soul which is part of a changing universe BE immortal? That would imply either that they have an immortal soul or that the universe pre-fall was UNCHANGING (co-eternal with God, a heresy).

God can bring animals back in a glorified state, like they were pre-Fall. no souls, no pure passivity.

Were animals created to have an eternal soul (soul here being defined in the Judaic sense of center of being, not in the Platonic sense of being a separate "self" entrapped in a physical body)?

no, animals do not have souls. soulless animals can life forever if God wills them to do so.

Denial of the physical is pseudo-docetism. The physical was created, and was created GOOD. Generally, when we differentiate the spiritual man from the animal man we are talking about being "subject" to the animal passions or "subject" to Christ.

no one is denying the physical, just that the physical was more spiritualized and incorrupt back then.

Again - was there change pre-fall? Then something ended. Were those things physical? Yes. That implies physical change. Physical change = death of some kind. Death, in the biological sense, existed prefall.

physical change does not mean death. I don't think I have ever heard that as a definition for death.

So far as I'm aware, though, there is no doctrine for animals rising from the dead. If their (merely physical) death is so against God's will then they would (each and every one) be raised. That would imply an immortal soul for animals. As they do not have one, we know they will not be raised. The idea of a physical resurrection is not problematic for what I'm saying here.

then why is all of Creation yearning for the Second Coming as St Paul states?

Also, we are not animals. We were never meant to undergo biological death, but were meant to be immortal. We may change in the spiritual sense (like Michael) growing ever closer into God, but our body was intended to be as immortal as Christ's transfigured body.

no arguments with us not being animals. but why is it that man's material side is supposed to live on while all other material things die off. why does God place immortal Man over a dying creation?

As I said above: our spiritual death / separation from God necessarily RENDS creation from its purpose of glorifying God as there is no longer anyone to proclaim that glory (creation declares it, but it has no voice), and though creation is prepared as an offering to God, there is no one to do the offering.

so our Fall made a temporal glorifying of God from creation even more temporal?

Only Christ fulfilled our priestly role within creation, so creation groans for His second coming and the fulfillment of its purpose. Now, instead of the cycle of life glorifying God's unchanging nature, it is purposeless.

there is no cycle of Life for a creation that, from the get go, is dying off. basically you have man with his eternal purpose of glorifying God, using a corrupt and fallen purposeless creation to do so.

An animal's existence is meaningless. Its death merely a death; its matter merely food for another's matter. There is no glory, no point.

the implication is that God made something without ultimate purpose.

But in Christ that point is resurrected. The animal, by being food to another, becomes a type of Christ. Christ's offering of all of creation in His own body transforms creation again into an offering to God. We were meant to be the bridge; Christ, as the truest human, fulfilled that role as "bridge" between God and man.

no arguments here.

If death - real death - is separation from God, then our fall KILLED creation (separated it from its purpose) and Christ's recapitulation of creation UNDID that disobedience and RESURRECTS creation from that spiritual death.

yeah, if that is death, then that means that Creation was alive in a way before the Fall that was changed after the fall. basically it seems like you are saying that the death of the created world didn't really have an impact aside from the thorns maybe that God cursed the ground with.

Perhaps the new body will not need to eat. If it does, then it will not be death-as-mere-change-of-state that will end, but death-as-separation-from-God that will (in a sense) die out. Instead, our UNDERSTANDING of animal death will be transformed by our renewed unity with God; but I'm open to plants or animals continuing to consume biological and non-biological matter in a state of constant change that, in popular definition, would correspond to "biological" death.

the new body won't need to eat because it didn't need to eat in the beginning. those early fruits and nuts that Adam and Eve could eat were as a way of communing with God. it was their obedience that kept them alive, not any biological need for nutrition.

and if I misread anything you wrote please clear it up, so I don't go on confusing folks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know various learned Orthodox on the world stage also would disagree with.

as do I, but I know of no saints or holy elders that do. so who do you put your stock in? I am in those men and women who spent a lifetime drawing close to the One Being who was there to see it go down.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And an animal that is consumed by another, it doesn't go anywhere. Its matter (that is, the entirety of itself) is merely consumed by other animals or lifeforms and goes on living.

yeah but it still dies. water does not. I mean, there is a kind of tragedy even when we see animals die, otherwise a pet that was just purchased, that the family did not have time to bond with, should not invoke any more emotion if it dies suddenly then when water evaporates, lava melts through a rock, etc. so then why do we get all worked up about a meaningless animal dying off?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
as do I, but I know of no saints or holy elders that do. so who do you put your stock in? I am in those men and women who spent a lifetime drawing close to the One Being who was there to see it go down.

My point was that to assert that the West does not teach that all of creation fell as a result of the Fall of Man because some Westerners believe in macroeveolution is not really a great argument, since some Orthodox do as well. If what you said is true of the West, then it would seem also to be true of the East, which you don't believe.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My point was that to assert that the West does not teach that all of creation fell as a result of the Fall of Man because some Westerners believe in macroeveolution is not really a great argument, since some Orthodox do as well. If what you said is true of the West, then it would seem also to be true of the East, which you don't believe.

ahhh, true that. sorry for reading you wrong.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very thought provoking and compelling posts, Macarius. Would that also apply to the concept of sickness prior to the fall of man? I mean with animals falling ill and suffering illness or would that also only apply to spiritual sickness and death?

I'm not sure what you mean (in terms of sickness). Literal biological illnesses like viruses and bacteria? I have to believe, if I am open to TE, that these could exist pre-fall.

Suffering? Well that's different. Physical pain isn't suffering. The suffering is a mental state - an awareness of the physical pain and an inability to cope with it. Our perspective on pain makes it suffering. If we are thankful in all things, as we ought to be, the physical pain becomes a means of uniting to Christ.

To me, animal death pre-fall (which would include animal suffering in the physical / nerve-endings-causing-pain sense) is only considered suffering by us today post-fall by virtue of how we analogize our own experience of suffering-as-separation-from-God. I don't know that, from creation's perspective, that pain is evil. Pain tells us when not to touch something, or what is good to eat. Those who can't feel pain are in a world of trouble in this lifetime (and there is such a medical condition). Pain is God's way of telling us "warning!" That's not bad.

We make it bad by our perspective on it, and then analogize that to animals.

Also, kind of an odd question: I know TE's have no issue with a First Cause as atheists do but what about entropy and the increasing complexity and persistence of life? I've heard arguments from creationists that evolution violates the law of entropy and the counter-arguments that sunlight/photosenthesis/etc. is what ultimately drives the propagation of and increasing complexity of life. How do Orthodox TE's believe on this issue?

Did life evolve without entropy prior to the fall or is entropy not a result of the fall?

Entropy isn't a problem for TE because we believe in a guiding hand. It may be that entropy disproves the gradual RANDOM appearance of increasingly complex beings. But we don't believe in random. We believe in God as creator.

I'm also not convinced that entropy disproves evolution on purely scientific grounds, either, since random evolution really is a "breaking down" - the breaking down just occurs so many times that eventually (randomly) a "breaking down" actually causes something to result that is better adapted to the universe than what preceeded it - that thing survives and breeds, and thus increasing complexity is born through a chaotic process.

In Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I would never suggest that I am a perfect exemplar of what Western theology says. However, it seems to me this is rather begging the question in the present discussion - you are assuming that macroevolution is indeed incompatible with the history of Orthodoxy - which several well read Orthodox here dispute, and I know various learned Orthodox on the world stage also would disagree with.

I would have to agree that animal death pre-fall is not a common thought among the fathers. Most don't talk about it at all (they focus more on human death). I know that St. Athanasius taught animal death pre-fall, but as many are wont to say one saint does not make something Orthodox teaching.

To me, the issue is that I don't believe we have to look to the fathers for every teaching on every aspect of life. I'm concerned for what Truth Gen. 1 is supposed to teach, which to me does not extend to the means that God used to create, but rather is limited to THAT God created, created intentionally, and created good.

At that point, the issue entirely becomes whether or not pre-fall animal death can be considered "not good" (and therefore incompatible with the "created good" truth).

Reactions: Photini
Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Somewhat on-topic humor

attachment.php

Attachments

• dinosaurs.png
    dinosaurs.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Entropy isn't a problem for TE because we believe in a guiding hand. It may be that entropy disproves the gradual RANDOM appearance of increasingly complex beings. But we don't believe in random. We believe in God as creator.

I'm also not convinced that entropy disproves evolution on purely scientific grounds, either, since random evolution really is a "breaking down" - the breaking down just occurs so many times that eventually (randomly) a "breaking down" actually causes something to result that is better adapted to the universe than what preceeded it - that thing survives and breeds, and thus increasing complexity is born through a chaotic process.

In Christ,
Macarius

Great post, thank you. The way I most often heard it (in the origins forum here) was that the energy from the sun along with tides, weather patterns, etc. created enough chaos to bring about the "accident" of life in the first place and subsequent changes resulting in increased complexity. What bothered me about most of what I read there was the insistence that it was all random even if that randomness was preordained. I don't think I ever saw an admission that God guided, even partially, the process. Granted none (that I'm aware of, anyway) of the posters were Orthodox but that has always bothered me. Thank you for clarifying that for me. :thumbsup:

I know my opinion means little if anything but I've really enjoyed playing Spore and would have no problem with the idea of God creating and guiding the development of life in some similar way and taking pleasure in the process. Not to disparage in any way God's work by comparing it to a video game but I think you can see what I'm getting at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Probably served as food for carnevores or bacteria (i.e. basic decomposition).

mmm the smell of Fido's carcass rotting in the sun, now thats my idea of Paradise!

Last edited:
Upvote 0