Theistic Evolution ~ is it compatible with orthodox teaching & doctrine? .

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I figure that's the only way we'll make it to 5 pages... ^_^

My parish priest goes very hardline that the book of Genesis is the EXACT history of the earth. I personally think he is wrong.

Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is macro-evolution, if not but a series of micro-evolutions?

BTW, I put a related thread here the other day if anyone is interested in voting, I'd appreciate it! :)

http://www.christianforums.com/t7510957/
There is no evidence of micro evolution causing a jump in species. A dog is still a dog...it never becomes something else. Evolution is degenerative, always with a loss of information, never new information.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
There is no evidence of micro evolution causing a jump in species. A dog is still a dog...it never becomes something else. Evolution is degenerative, always with a loss of information, never new information.

What makes you say that? What do you mean by new information? What do you mean by species?

Personally, I think the idea of species is a useful fiction, but that it has little objective reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i believe TE is absolutely NOT compatible with Orthodoxy. the Fathers are clear that Genesis is historical, and more importantly, God does not desire the death of anything living as the Book of Wisdom tells us. That obviously then rules out the possibility of God creating via a process that inherently includes suffering and death. Even St. Paul affirms that the creation was subject to vanity by our sins, not that it was created this way.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My stance is that the information that we know about the workings of the material world is based on what we have observed. And what we have observed is a small fraction of what has actually existed. We are only able to see a very small bit of our universe, and we have a small sample ("small" relative to the actual number of organisms that have existed throughout history) of which life-forms have been on this planet. So since we are able to observe so small a sample of the universe/earth, I see no reason to make any kind of dogmatic claim as to how the history of the universe/earth/life unfolded.

What I will say is that the universe is here, and the Scriptures and the Church tell us what it means.

Is that compatible with TE? For the above-mentioned reasons, I believe that it is unwise for one to say "I believe in TE", just as I believe that it is unwise for one to say "I believe in YEC", or "OEC" or whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i believe TE is absolutely NOT compatible with Orthodoxy. the Fathers are clear that Genesis is historical, and more importantly, God does not desire the death of anything living as the Book of Wisdom tells us. That obviously then rules out the possibility of God creating via a process that inherently includes suffering and death. Even St. Paul affirms that the creation was subject to vanity by our sins, not that it was created this way.

Then what happened to the Brontosaurus and the T-Rex?

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then what happened to the Brontosaurus and the T-Rex?

Not to nit-pick, my friend, but it is my understanding that the Brontosaurus never actually existed. It would be the Brachiosaurus.

Upvote 0