Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And to let Brother James tell it best...

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16-7 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18-9 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. - James 2

The misquoted & misunderstood Book of James

Who’s the writer? To whom is he writing?

James 1:1 James, a servant of God & of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the 12 tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting

Ok, James is the writer & he's writing to the 12 tribes of Israel

James the 1/2 brother of Jesus, head of the Jerusalem assembly & moderator for the Counsel at Jerusalem (Acts 15)

Counsel at Jerusalem took place in 51 AD & is a key transitional inflection point in NT history. The book of James is written 2-12 years BEFORE the Counsel at Jerusalem

James a Jew, is writing to Jews, BEFORE the Counsel at Jerusalem.

James message is the (ALL JEWISH) gospel of the Kingdom doctrine. They believed for salvation that Jesus was the Messiah of Israel.

They were still under the Law & practicing Temple worship. All the facts havn't been revealed to them yet so they’re not being disobedient.

After the Jerusalem Council, only Paul’s gospel of grace doctrine (Acts 20:24, 1 Cor 15:1-4). Given to Paul by the RISEN Christ was valid. Pauls gospel of grace doctrine supplants the gospel of the kingdom doctrine. Preached by John the Baptist (Matt 3:2), & preached by Jesus & the 12 during His earthly/fleshly ministry (Matt 4:23)

Matt 10:5-7 Read the text here: Jesus say's; PREACH ONLY: """To the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel"""

Matt 15:24 Jesus tells the gentile woman from Canaan:
"I am only sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel"

Paul teaches Rom 15:8:
"Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision"
for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision:
THATS TO JEWS ONLY!

The Jewish leadership rejects Jesus as their Messiah & has him killed

The RISEN Christ sends Paul with a new message:
The gospel of grace. (Acts 20:24, 1 Cor 15:1-4)

Pre-Cross
The Gospel of the Kingdom was a collevtive message for the Nation of Israel only

Post-Cross
The Gospel of Grace is an indivdually targeted message. Available to ALL, Jew or

The Book of James is written by a Jew under the law, to Jews under the law. Before the gospel of grace is implemented.

There is nothing in the Book of James, Peter, John or Jude that speak of the Body of Christ, the Church. Nothing of the power of the Resurrection, found in Paul’s writings.

There all addressed to Jewish believers who had been scattered. All epistles steeped in Old Testament doctrines & prophecies laid out for the Nation of Israel.

Counsel at Jerusalem
Acts 15:
7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up & said unto them, Men & brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

13 And after they had held their peace, """James""" answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

22 Then pleased it """the apostles & elders""" with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul & Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas & Silas, chief men among the brethren:

23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; """The apostles, elders & (JEWISH) brethren""" send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria & Cilicia:

24 We have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised & keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment.
(THE APOSTLES LETTERS SAY: WE NEVER SAID YOU MUST BE CIRCUMCISED. NOR THAT YOU MUST KEEP THE LAW OF MOSES!)

All the Apostle's agree & send letters to ALL the Chruches: YOU DON'T NEED TO BE CIRCUMCISED OR KEEP THE LAW OF MOSES!

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace & truth came by Jesus Christ.

Eph 2:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith & that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. Maranatha

Paul speaks about the Jerusalem Councel deal in Gal 2:9

JAMES, PETER & JOHN SHAKE ON THE DEAL HERE:
Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me
"""they gave to me & Barnabas the right hands of fellowship"""
that we should go unto the Gentiles, and they unto the Jews.

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying without good fruit, a man isn't justified? If so, then it is our good works which justifies us.

A good tree isn't known by their belief in Christ; it's known by their fruit.

<staff edit>

This verse has zero context about justification, righteousness & salvation

<staff edit>

No place does James say that it's our works which make us righteous before God.

No place does James claim justification is attained through works.

No place does James say salvation is lost, for any reason.

His message is that true faith will be demonstrated by good works.

James uses the examples of Abraham and Rahab to illustrate the obedience that accompanies salvation. Both of whom, as everyone else, EVER, are saved by faith, not works.

Good works come after and from Faith

Romans 4:5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts """""God who justifies the ungodly""""" their faith is credited as righteousness
("""GOD JUSTIFIES THE UNGODLY""" "NOT THEIR WORKS" IT'S THEIR FAITH IN CHRIST'S WORK. WHICH EARNS THE CREDIT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS).

Romans 1:5 """Through him we received grace""" & apostleship """to call all the Gentiles to the obedience""" """that comes from faith""" for his name’s sake.
(Thru Him we receive Faith that leads to obedience)

Romans 16:26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, """so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience""" """that comes from faith
(Gentiles are brought to obedience thru Faith)

The Fruit of Faith is Obedience! The Fruit of doubting Jesus is Sin!

John 6:
27 Do not work for food that perishes, but for food that endures [and leads] to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you; for God the Father has authorized Him and put His seal on Him.”

28 Then they asked Him, “What are we to do, so that we may habitually be doing the works of God?”

29 Jesus answered, “This is the work of God: that you believe [adhere to, trust in, rely on, and have faith] in the One whom He has sent.”

JESUS CAME TO FULFIL THE LAW:
Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
(ANYONE CLAIMING THE LAW IS STILL IN EFFECT. IS CLAIMING MESSIAH FAILED AT HIM MISSION!)

WILL OF THE FATHER:
Matt 7:21 Jesus said; Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; """"but he that doeth the will of my Father"""" which is in heaven.

HOW WE DO THE WILL OF THE FATHER:
John 6:40 Jesus said; This is the will of him that sent me, that every one which """seeth the Son, and believeth on him""", may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
(THE WILL OF THE FATHER IS: PLACE YOUR FAITH IN THE SIN ATONING DEATH, BURIAL & RESURRECTION OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST)

<staff edit> Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

A scripture for the Law Lovers trapped in OT Law doctrine:

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
(IF YOU'RE TRYING TO ACHIEVE SALVATION BY YOUR OWN WORKS IN LAW KEEPING. YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE! NOTE: HOW GRACE IS HIGHER THEN LAW. NEXT: LOOK AT THE ARK OF THE COVENANT. THE MERCY SEAT "OF GRACE" IS ON TOP. THE LAW AGAIN, IS UNDERNEATH)

Titus 3:9 avoid foolish questions, genealogies, contentions & """strivings about the law""" for they are """unprofitable & vain"""

Grace, Righteousness, & Salvation are ALL Gifts from GOD received by Faith not Works.

Titus 3:5 """Not by works of righteousness which we have done""", but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

II Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, & called us with an holy calling, """not according to our works""" but """according to his own purpose and grace""", which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 "By grace" are ye saved"(sola gratia)""through faith""(sola fide)""not of yourselves"" it is the "gift" of God

9 """Not of works""" (NO WORKS NEEDED!), """lest any man should boast"""

Faith by itself is an action.
Jesus completed the work. Our works are unrelated to our salvation

Having said that: After we proclaim our Faith in Christ's sin atonement & believe He was resurrected. We are saved!

Now, if we don't work in his service from this point. Our faith does not produce fruits (Rewards). However, our salvation is still secure

If after salvation we add good works to our faith. Our good works in his service will receive rewards (produce fruits) in Heaven & receive blessings on earth

Simply stated: Good works are the evidence of your faith not the cause of your salvation.

Finally, the Book of James is written in 42-47 AD. The Council at Jerusalem, Acts 15 takes place 50-51 AD.

After the Council, only Paul’s gospel of grace message (Acts 20:24) was valid & supplanted. The gospel of the kingdom message formally preached by the 12.

JAMES SHAKES ON THE DEAL HERE:
Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Maranatha

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The misquoted & misunderstood Book of James

Who’s the writer? To whom is he writing?

James 1:1 James, a servant of God & of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the 12 tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting

Ok, James is the writer & he's writing to the 12 tribes of Israel

James the 1/2 brother of Jesus, head of the Jerusalem assembly & moderator for the Counsel at Jerusalem (Acts 15)

Counsel at Jerusalem took place in 51 AD & is a key transitional inflection point in NT history. The book of James is written 2-12 years BEFORE the Counsel at Jerusalem

James a Jew, is writing to Jews, BEFORE the Counsel at Jerusalem.

James message is the (ALL JEWISH) gospel of the Kingdom doctrine. They believed for salvation that Jesus was the Messiah of Israel.

They were still under the Law & practicing Temple worship. All the facts havn't been revealed to them yet so they’re not being disobedient.

After the Jerusalem Council, only Paul’s gospel of grace doctrine (Acts 20:24, 1 Cor 15:1-4). Given to Paul by the RISEN Christ was valid. Pauls gospel of grace doctrine supplants the gospel of the kingdom doctrine. Preached by John the Baptist (Matt 3:2), & preached by Jesus & the 12 during His earthly/fleshly ministry (Matt 4:23)

So, Paul's gospel supplanted Jesus' Gospel. <staff edit>

Was Jesus' Gospel another Gospel about which Paul preached? Are we who follow Jesus' Gospel accursed? Were Jesus' disciples preaching another gospel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit> This you tube video describes part of what I believe. Please watch and see why I believe in Jesus and the law. If you disagree, that is fine. This video is pretty clear about Jesus as the Messiah and His message to the Gentiles, thus being the Light to the Gentiles.

I wont be responding further to this thread as a moderator has removed perfectly reasonable posts of mine emphasising man does not learn spiritual truth via the academic mind but the Holy Spirit

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amazing really as emsw has been allowed to continually bring disrepute on the bible by claiming the person who wrote half the book of the NT preached a false message and was a liar
Possibly that doesn't offend as much as a belief spiritual truth Is not gained via the academic mind

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In my younger days I use to hear the old timers say that, "people are so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good."

Now adays the opposite holds true... "People are so earthly minded that they are no heavenly good."

You cant get people together for anything these days, especially prayer. They are so wound up in interests of earthly value that they hold no interest of things of heavenly value.

Jesus Christ seeks to invest talents in his disciples and expects something in return...

And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. - Matthew 25:30

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, Paul's gospel supplanted Jesus' Gospel. <staff edit>

Was Jesus' Gospel another Gospel about which Paul preached? Are we who follow Jesus' Gospel accursed? Were Jesus' disciples preaching another gospel?
Actually yes Paul's gospel of grace has for the time being. Until the time of the gentiles has beed filled. Superseded the ALL JEWISH gospel of the kingdom preached by Jesus & the 12.

Gospel of the Kingdom vs Gospel of Grace < Saved4Life > 2016-12-21 11:56

During Jesus earthly/fleshly - ministry/walk. John the Baptist, Jesus & the 12, preached the Gospel of the Kingdom.
(Matt 3:2 & 4:17)

Israel’s OT prophets foretold that Messiah would one day come. Establish a kingdom on earth & rule & reign from Jerusalem (Ps 2:6 & 8, Zec 14:9, Lk 1:31-33)

Its focus was all Jewish (Matt 10:5-6). During this kingdom reign, God would fulfill His covenant promises to Israel. Every God fearing Jew knew the promise & longed for it

The gospel of the kingdom proclaimed by the Baptist, Jesus & the 12. Required repentance (Mk 1:15), water baptism (Matt 3:6, Acts 2:38, 8:34-38 & 19.4). And belief that Jesus was the OT promised Messiah (Matt 16:13-16, Jn 11:25-27)

Matthew 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

Believing in Messiah according to the gospel of the kingdom. Meant believing Who He was: (Jn 3:18, Acts 2:21 & 38, 3:6 & 16, 4:7, 10, 12, 17, 18, 30, 5.28, 40, 41, 8:12 & 16, 9:14, 15, 21, 27, 10:43 & 48). This gospel's focus was the identity of the promised coming Messiah & the to collective Nation of Israel only.

For the Jews Christ’s death was not good news. Even after Christ's resurrection. His death was not preached as good news. Peter’s sermons regarded the death of Christ as a message of condemnation to Jews. A heinous act that demanded repentance (Acts 2:22-42, 3:12-26).

At the Feast of Pentecost Acts 2:22. Peter say's "Ye men of Israel (the circumcision-Jews only), hear these words". Peter never mentions sacrifice, or propitiation, or the blood of Jesus Christ. He never associates Christ's death with remission of sins

Even though the 12 had been plainly told by Messiah before hand. The apostles did not understand that Messiah was going to die or rise from the dead. (Matt 16:21-22, Lk 18:33-34, & Jn 20:9)

Messiah's, earthly/walk, fleshly/ministry. Was to and only to the Jews-the circumcision. AND DID NOT INCLUDE GENTILES.

Matt 10:5 Messiah sent forth the 12 & commanded them. To not go the Gentiles or into any city of the Samaritans
(Don't go to GENTILES!)

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(Messiah is sent, & sends his disciples to, the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

Matt 15:24 Messiah answered & said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(Messiah say's; He has been sent, ONLY, to the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

25 Then came she (Greek/gentile,) & worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26 Messiah answered, It is not meet to take the children's bread & to cast it to dogs.
(Jews often referred to Gentiles as dogs. (Matt 7:6 & Lk 16:21) Gentiles were considered so ungodly, being in their presence could make a person ceremonially unclean (Jn 18:28)

Rom 15:8 I say that Messiah was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
(Messiah came to preach to the circumcision (Jews) & to fulfil promises made to the circumcision's fathers, NOT GENTILES)

Jewish leadership rejects Messiah their King & has him killed. Upon His Resurrection the RISEN Christ opens the door of salvation to the Gentiles.

Paul is now CHOSEN & SENT to the GENTILES by the RESURRECTED, GLORIFIED, LORD JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF!

Paul goes to Arabia (Gal 1:17). After Paul returns from his 3 yrs in Arabia (Mt Sinai see Gal 4:25) The same place Moses was given the Law. Paul is given he begins to preach the Gospel of Grace.(Acts 20:24)

During this 3 yr time the """RESURRECTED LORD JESUS""" reveal's to Paul. The meaning of His death & resurrection (Gal 1:16 & 19, 2:1-2)

HEAVENLY MESSAGE THE RISEN LORD GIVES TO PAUL
Paul's message; is that FAITH in Jesus Sin Atoning Death, Burial & Resurrection leads to salvation (1 Cor 1:18, 15:1-4, 1 Tim 1:11)

The RISEN Lord gave Paul "a new gospel" (Gal 1:11-12). "Paul’s gospel of grace" (Acts 20:24) was different from the gospel of the Kingdom preached by Jesus & the 12Rom 2:16, 16.25)

Its focus was not upon the identity of Messiah and His Kingdom and the Nation of israel only. But, upon the sin atoning/sacrifical work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul’s gospel of grace was that Christ died for our sins & rose from the dead (1 Cor 15.1-4). This gospel of grace was not preached during Messiah's earthly ministry by Messiah's or His 12 chosen apostles

Paul referred to this gospel as "my gospel" (Rom 2:16, 16:25, 2 Tim 2:8, Gal 2:2). It was different from the gospel Jesus or the 12 preached. Luke’s Acts account of the Council of Jerusalem made's this clear (Acts 15)

Paul revealed that his gospel was a "secret" (Rom 16:25). Again: The 12 had "NO" understanding Jesus would die & rise from the dead (Lk 18.31-34; Jn 20.3-10

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS NEXT SCRIPTURE:
Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel
(God will judge men according to Pauls Gospel of Grace. Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast)

HERE'S WHY GOD KEPT THE GOSPEL OF GRACE, A SECRET:
1 Cor 2:7 We speak the wisdom of God in a mystery (secret), even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world

8 No prince of this world knew: if they had known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory
(IF SATAN, THE PRINCE OF THIS WORLD HAD KNOWN. JESUS WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CRUCIFIED)

Pre-Cross
The Gospel of the Kingdom was a collevtive message for the Nation of Israel only.

Post-Cross
The Gospel of Grace is an indivdually targeted message. Available to ALL, Jew or Gentile.

Council of Jerusalem:
Acts 15:13 And after they had held their peace (debate was over), James (debate moderator) said, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

14 Simeon (Peter) hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
(This verse finishes in verse 16)

15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
(After this:"""AFTER WHAT?""" After God is finished His gentile outreach. Which culminate's at the rapture. God will then return all focus on the Nation of Israel's restoration)

After the catching-up of Church (Thess 4:16). 144,000 Jews with be selected & and will again preach the Gospel of Kingdom. KING MESSIAH IS COMING. Maranatha

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And to let Brother James tell it best...

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16-7 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18-9 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. - James 2

The Faith Without Works Scripture Verse.

Is so often hi-jacked out of context. Has zero context about justification, righteousness & salvation

You have failed at attempting to create a works based system of righteousness.

When you remove the text from the context. All thats left is the con!

No place does James say that it's our works which make us righteous before God.

No place does James claim justification is attained through works.

No place does James say salvation is lost, for any reason.

His message is that true faith will be demonstrated by good works.

James uses the examples of Abraham and Rahab to illustrate the obedience that accompanies salvation. Both of whom, as everyone else, EVER, are saved by faith, not works.

Romans 4:5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts """""God who justifies the ungodly""""" their faith is credited as righteousness
("""GOD JUSTIFIES THE UNGODLY""" "NOT THEIR WORKS" IT'S THEIR FAITH IN CHRIST'S WORK. WHICH EARNS THE CREDIT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS).

Romans 1:5 """Through him we received grace""" & apostleship """to call all the Gentiles to the obedience""" """that comes from faith""" for his name’s sake.
(Thru Him we receive Faith that leads to obedience)

Romans 16:26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, """so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience""" """that comes from faith
(Gentiles are brought to obedience thru Faith)

When Faith is the root. Good works are the fruit.

John 6:
27 Do not work for food that perishes, but for food that endures [and leads] to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you; for God the Father has authorized Him and put His seal on Him.”

28 Then they asked Him, “What are we to do, so that we may habitually be doing the works of God?”

29 Jesus answered, “This is the work of God: that you believe [adhere to, trust in, rely on, and have faith] in the One whom He has sent.”

JESUS CAME TO FULFIL THE LAW:
Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
(ANYONE CLAIMING THE LAW IS STILL IN EFFECT. IS CLAIMING MESSIAH FAILED AT HIM MISSION!)

WILL OF THE FATHER:
Matt 7:21 Jesus said; Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; """"but he that doeth the will of my Father"""" which is in heaven.

HOW WE DO THE WILL OF THE FATHER:
John 6:40 Jesus said; This is the will of him that sent me, that every one which """seeth the Son, and believeth on him""", may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
(THE WILL OF THE FATHER IS: PLACE YOUR FAITH IN THE SIN ATONING DEATH, BURIAL & RESURRECTION OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST)

Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

A scripture for Law Lovers trapped in OT Law doctrine:

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
(IF YOU'RE TRYING TO ACHIEVE SALVATION BY YOUR OWN WORKS IN LAW KEEPING. YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE! NOTICE: HOW GRACE IS HIGHER THEN LAW. NEXT: LOOK AT THE ARK OF THE COVENANT. THE MERCY SEAT "OF GRACE" IS ON TOP. THE LAW AGAIN, IS UNDERNEATH)

Titus 3:9 avoid foolish questions, genealogies, contentions & """strivings about the law""" for they are """unprofitable & vain"""

Grace, Righteousness, & Salvation are ALL Gifts from GOD received by Faith not Works.

Titus 3:5 """Not by works of righteousness which we have done""", but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

II Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, & called us with an holy calling, """not according to our works""" but """according to his own purpose and grace""", which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 "By grace" are ye saved"(sola gratia)""through faith""(sola fide)""not of yourselves"" it is the "gift" of God

9 """Not of works""" (NO WORKS NEEDED!), """lest any man should boast"""

Faith by itself is an action.
Jesus completed the work. Our works are unrelated to our salvation

Having said that: After we proclaim our Faith in Christ's sin atonement & believe He was resurrected. We are saved!

Now, if we don't work in his service from this point. Our faith does not produce fruits (Rewards). However, our salvation is still secure

If after salvation we add good works to our faith. Our good works in his service will receive rewards (produce fruits) in Heaven & receive blessings on earth

Simply stated: Good works are the evidence of your faith not the cause of your salvation.

Finally, the Book of James is written in 42-47 AD. The Council at Jerusalem, Acts 15 takes place 50-51 AD.

After the Council, moderated by James, only Paul’s gospel of grace message (Acts 20:24) given to Paul by the RISEN Lord Jesus was valid & supplanted. The gospel of the kingdom message formally preached by Jesus & the 12.

JAMES SHAKES ON THE DEAL HERE:
Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Maranatha

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I use to have youth ministry at my house and we would...

Early Afternoon - Let them play outdoors
Mid-Afternoon - Grill out and eat well
Evening - Have a devotional speaker around the camp fire
Late Evening - Let them hang out and enjoy the pool table, TV's, video games, exercise equipment, and fellowship.

Sometimes they would stay until 3AM, I would let them hang out as long as they want. One day I noticed one of the teenage girls missing and I asked about her. Come to find out that she had committed suicide a couple of weeks earlier.

I eventually had to stop having young people over for lack of good help. People only think about their own families these days, and it is a shame. There are a lot of young people with no hope at all and we need to do what we can to reach them. But my goodness it is tough when people do not think outside of their own comfort zones!

I greatly detest the doctrine of Calvin and the whole Works based argument. God expects good works out of us, if not we are unprofitable servants fit for the flames and heat of hell itself!

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually yes Paul's gospel of grace has for the time being. Until the time of the gentiles has beed filled. Superseded the ALL JEWISH gospel of the kingdom preached by Jesus & the 12.

Gospel of the Kingdom vs Gospel of Grace < Saved4Life > 2016-12-21 11:56

During Jesus earthly/fleshly - ministry/walk. John the Baptist, Jesus & the 12, preached the Gospel of the Kingdom.
(Matt 3:2 & 4:17)

Israel’s OT prophets foretold that Messiah would one day come. Establish a kingdom on earth & rule & reign from Jerusalem (Ps 2:6 & 8, Zec 14:9, Lk 1:31-33)

Its focus was all Jewish (Matt 10:5-6). During this kingdom reign, God would fulfill His covenant promises to Israel. Every God fearing Jew knew the promise & longed for it

The gospel of the kingdom proclaimed by the Baptist, Jesus & the 12. Required repentance (Mk 1:15), water baptism (Matt 3:6, Acts 2:38, 8:34-38 & 19.4). And belief that Jesus was the OT promised Messiah (Matt 16:13-16, Jn 11:25-27)

Matthew 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

Believing in Messiah according to the gospel of the kingdom. Meant believing Who He was: (Jn 3:18, Acts 2:21 & 38, 3:6 & 16, 4:7, 10, 12, 17, 18, 30, 5.28, 40, 41, 8:12 & 16, 9:14, 15, 21, 27, 10:43 & 48). This gospel's focus was the identity of the promised coming Messiah & the to collective Nation of Israel only.

For the Jews Christ’s death was not good news. Even after Christ's resurrection. His death was not preached as good news. Peter’s sermons regarded the death of Christ as a message of condemnation to Jews. A heinous act that demanded repentance (Acts 2:22-42, 3:12-26).

At the Feast of Pentecost Acts 2:22. Peter say's "Ye men of Israel (the circumcision-Jews only), hear these words". Peter never mentions sacrifice, or propitiation, or the blood of Jesus Christ. He never associates Christ's death with remission of sins

Even though the 12 had been plainly told by Messiah before hand. The apostles did not understand that Messiah was going to die or rise from the dead. (Matt 16:21-22, Lk 18:33-34, & Jn 20:9)

Messiah's, earthly/walk, fleshly/ministry. Was to and only to the Jews-the circumcision. AND DID NOT INCLUDE GENTILES.

Matt 10:5 Messiah sent forth the 12 & commanded them. To not go the Gentiles or into any city of the Samaritans
(Don't go to GENTILES!)

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(Messiah is sent, & sends his disciples to, the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

Matt 15:24 Messiah answered & said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(Messiah say's; He has been sent, ONLY, to the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

25 Then came she (Greek/gentile,) & worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26 Messiah answered, It is not meet to take the children's bread & to cast it to dogs.
(Jews often referred to Gentiles as dogs. (Matt 7:6 & Lk 16:21) Gentiles were considered so ungodly, being in their presence could make a person ceremonially unclean (Jn 18:28)

Rom 15:8 I say that Messiah was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
(Messiah came to preach to the circumcision (Jews) & to fulfil promises made to the circumcision's fathers, NOT GENTILES)

Jewish leadership rejects Messiah their King & has him killed. Upon His Resurrection the RISEN Christ opens the door of salvation to the Gentiles.

Paul is now CHOSEN & SENT to the GENTILES by the RESURRECTED, GLORIFIED, LORD JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF!

Paul goes to Arabia (Gal 1:17). After Paul returns from his 3 yrs in Arabia (Mt Sinai see Gal 4:25) The same place Moses was given the Law. Paul is given he begins to preach the Gospel of Grace.(Acts 20:24)

During this 3 yr time the """RESURRECTED LORD JESUS""" reveal's to Paul. The meaning of His death & resurrection (Gal 1:16 & 19, 2:1-2)

HEAVENLY MESSAGE THE RISEN LORD GIVES TO PAUL
Paul's message; is that FAITH in Jesus Sin Atoning Death, Burial & Resurrection leads to salvation (1 Cor 1:18, 15:1-4, 1 Tim 1:11)

The RISEN Lord gave Paul "a new gospel" (Gal 1:11-12). "Paul’s gospel of grace" (Acts 20:24) was different from the gospel of the Kingdom preached by Jesus & the 12Rom 2:16, 16.25)

Its focus was not upon the identity of Messiah and His Kingdom and the Nation of israel only. But, upon the sin atoning/sacrifical work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul’s gospel of grace was that Christ died for our sins & rose from the dead (1 Cor 15.1-4). This gospel of grace was not preached during Messiah's earthly ministry by Messiah's or His 12 chosen apostles

Paul referred to this gospel as "my gospel" (Rom 2:16, 16:25, 2 Tim 2:8, Gal 2:2). It was different from the gospel Jesus or the 12 preached. Luke’s Acts account of the Council of Jerusalem made's this clear (Acts 15)

Paul revealed that his gospel was a "secret" (Rom 16:25). Again: The 12 had "NO" understanding Jesus would die & rise from the dead (Lk 18.31-34; Jn 20.3-10

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS NEXT SCRIPTURE:
Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel
(God will judge men according to Pauls Gospel of Grace. Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast)

HERE'S WHY GOD KEPT THE GOSPEL OF GRACE, A SECRET:
1 Cor 2:7 We speak the wisdom of God in a mystery (secret), even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world

8 No prince of this world knew: if they had known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory
(IF SATAN, THE PRINCE OF THIS WORLD HAD KNOWN. JESUS WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CRUCIFIED)

Pre-Cross
The Gospel of the Kingdom was a collevtive message for the Nation of Israel only.

Post-Cross
The Gospel of Grace is an indivdually targeted message. Available to ALL, Jew or Gentile.

Council of Jerusalem:
Acts 15:13 And after they had held their peace (debate was over), James (debate moderator) said, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

14 Simeon (Peter) hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
(This verse finishes in verse 16)

15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
(After this:"""AFTER WHAT?""" After God is finished His gentile outreach. Which culminate's at the rapture. God will then return all focus on the Nation of Israel's restoration)

After the catching-up of Church (Thess 4:16). 144,000 Jews with be selected & and will again preach the Gospel of Kingdom. KING MESSIAH IS COMING. Maranatha

You must be a follower of John Hagee. He believes God saves Jews one way and Gentiles another way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I am not Jewish, nor circumcised. As a Gentile, I never knew of a Messiah. I had no idea what the 'covenant' was. Was Paul writing to the Jews or Gentiles? How many Gentiles knew what the 'covenant' was and how did they know if Paul was telling the truth? Did you follow the 'covenant' in your younger days?
How can you claim to be a keeper of the law? I love the Jewish heritage of the Church and really enjoy looking into Jewish teaching and tradition. But I only consider myself a Hebrew because of what Christ Jesus does, grafting me into the stump, because of His fulfillment of the Law and not my own.

As did Zacharias and Elisabeth, who followed the Law and were righteous before God.
These people followed the Law as faithful to the covenant that looked forward to their redeemer.

Jesus said all the Law and Prophets hung on the two great commandments. He also said this in Matthew 5:18,
For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Yes fulfilled. He fulfills the law with His death, because the righteous requirement of the law is that death be served upon the law breaker.

Has everything been fulfilled? No! Notice, not one jot nor tittle shall pass from the Law until all is fulfilled. This would include Stuart's 'Law of righteousness'. Nothing wrong with failing miserably in the Law. Only, do not stay there and continue in disobedience. I hope your failure doesn't include murder and you fail miserably in that continually.
You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘Do not murder,’ and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be subject to the fire of hell. (Matthew 5) Guilty as charged your honor, but for any penalty outstanding, I claim Christ Jesus as my redeemer.

Why not atonement by following rules? What did Jesus say 'after' His death?

Luke 24
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Here is the first 'rule' Jesus gave His disciples 'after' His death. Repentance and remission of sins should be preached among all nations. I would suggest you find the meaning of 'remission' and tell us what you find.

Here's a rule - REPENT! Why follow this rule? It's simple, Jesus said this in Luke 13:3 -

I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.

So, the 'rule' all nations are to obey is REPENT. Or, they will all perish. The 'atoning' work on the cross is nothing without repentance and remission of sins.
Yes, repent. We change our minds and agree with God that we are sinners. That apart from Him and His Spirit all of our good works are as dirty rags. We repent of forsaking the grace that has been freely offered. We repent of the folly of trying to become righteous through our work and instead enter into Him, and eat of Him, our sabbath rest.
Shalom shabat.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can you claim to be a keeper of the law? I love the Jewish heritage of the Church and really enjoy looking into Jewish teaching and tradition. But I only consider myself a Hebrew because of what Christ Jesus does, grafting me into the stump, because of His fulfillment of the Law and not my own.

Do you live in lawlessness? Do you commit adultery continuously? Is murder a part of your life? What kind of person doesn't keep His law? Are you one of these people of whom Jesus spoke -

Matthew 7:23
And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

So I ask, do you keep the law, or do you practice lawlessness? If Jesus asked you if you love Him, what would you say? If He asked if you kept His commandments, what would you say? He tells us what He will tell those who didn't keep the law (see above). What a thing to hear from the Judge, 'DEPART FROM ME!'

These people followed the Law as faithful to the covenant that looked forward to their redeemer.

They followed the law because they willfully chose to.

Joshua 24:24
And the people said to Joshua, “The Lord our God we will serve, and His voice we will obey!”

Jeremiah 18:12
And they said, “That is hopeless! So we will walk according to our own plans, and we will every one obey the dictates of his evil heart.”

So, do you obey God's laws, or do you obey the dictates of your evil heart?

Yes fulfilled. He fulfills the law with His death, because the righteous requirement of the law is that death be served upon the law breaker.

Has every jot and tittle has been fulfilled? NO! Many fulfilled the law's requirement for righteousness without Jesus' death. Zacharias and Elisabeth were righteous before God, without the death of Jesus.

Did you not know a man is righteous who practices righteousness?

You have heard
that it was said to the ancients, ‘Do not murder,’ and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be subject to the fire of hell. (Matthew 5) Guilty as charged your honor, but for any penalty outstanding, I claim Christ Jesus as my redeemer.

Are you angry with your brother? Do you say 'Raca' to your brother? Do you call anyone a fool? Why be angry and call your brother a fool? Can you not overcome this evil? Can you not obey the Lord?

Anyone repenting and receiving forgiveness has no outstanding penalty. No need for someone else to die for him. Anyone who repents and is forgiven, is as though the sin never happened.

Yes, repent. We change our minds and agree with God that we are sinners. That apart from Him and His Spirit all of our good works are as dirty rags. We repent of forsaking the grace that has been freely offered. We repent of the folly of trying to become righteous through our work and instead enter into Him, and eat of Him, our sabbath rest.
Shalom shabat.

A man can agree with God we are sinners without repenting. I'm not repenting now and I agree with God I am a sinner. Repenting is turning from your sin and turning to God. Nowhere are we told to repent for forsaking His grace. Nowhere are to told to repent of trying to become righteous through our works.

You have swallowed the bait of someone other than Jesus.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you live in lawlessness? Do you commit adultery continuously? Is murder a part of your life? What kind of person doesn't keep His law? Are you one of these people of whom Jesus spoke -

Matthew 7:23
And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

So I ask, do you keep the law, or do you practice lawlessness? If Jesus asked you if you love Him, what would you say? If He asked if you kept His commandments, what would you say? He tells us what He will tell those who didn't keep the law (see above). What a thing to hear from the Judge, 'DEPART FROM ME!'

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death....But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives lifed because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you....For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. (Romans 8)

I endeavor to follow the law of the Spirit. If Jesus asked me if I Love (Agape) Him I would like to say that this is love: not that I loved God, but that he loved me and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for my sins, and so I love Him in response to Him and through His Spirit. But really I would be undone in His presence, He has been a very beautiful friend to me and my heart aches to be in His presence.

They followed the law because they willfully chose to.

Joshua 24:24
And the people said to Joshua, “The Lord our God we will serve, and His voice we will obey!”

Jeremiah 18:12
And they said, “That is hopeless! So we will walk according to our own plans, and we will every one obey the dictates of his evil heart.”

Yes, they willfully chose to follow the covenant they had been given, by faith in the promise that God had given them.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By Faith....Abaraham, Isaac, Jacob, Josephh etc, etc, These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect. (Hebrews 11)

So together with us the faithful ones were made perfect in Christ.

So, do you obey God's laws, or do you obey the dictates of your evil heart?

I obey the leading of the Spirit of Christ.

Has every jot and tittle has been fulfilled? NO! Many fulfilled the law's requirement for righteousness without Jesus' death. Zacharias and Elisabeth were righteous before God, without the death of Jesus.
Christ is the culmination of the law. In His death and resurrection the law is fulfilled. This is what the law and the prophets anticipated.

Zacharias and Elisabeth recognised this fact, looked forward to the promise that was given and rejoiced when they beheld the promised one. The baby in Elisabeth's womb leapt when he sensed the presence of the saviour of mankind with the womb of Mary.

Did you not know a man is righteous who practices righteousness?
This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. (1 John 1)

Are you angry with your brother? Do you say 'Raca' to your brother? Do you call anyone a fool? Why be angry and call your brother a fool? Can you not overcome this evil? Can you not obey the Lord?
See above. I do not wish to sin, but if I do, and confess my error, He is faithful to forgive.

Anyone repenting and receiving forgiveness has no outstanding penalty. No need for someone else to die for him. Anyone who repents and is forgiven, is as though the sin never happened.
So the Law is fulfilled on the grounds of forgiveness that is extended because of the righteousness of Christ.

A man can agree with God we are sinners without repenting. I'm not repenting now and I agree with God I am a sinner. Repenting is turning from your sin and turning to God.
As for faith and works; true repentance is reflected in action, but the heart/mind change is what is important. Heartless/Mindless following of written Law is precisely what is wrong with eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Nowhere are we told to repent for forsaking His grace. Nowhere are to told to repent of trying to become righteous through our works.
Unless you discount the letter Paul wrote to the Galatians of course:
For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Galatians 2)

You have swallowed the bait of someone other than Jesus.
I am eating from the tree of life who id Christ Jesus and do not wish to be caught repeating the error of a man fooled by the serpent.

Worrying ourselves about the knowledge of good and evil will only get us all killed.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death....But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives lifed because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you....For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. (Romans 8)

Here is the ASV of Romans 8. At least it gives the verses.

Romans 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace:
7 because the mind of the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be:
8 and they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you. But if any man hath not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwelleth in you, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead shall give life also to your mortal bodies through his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Do you see the condition for no condemnation and righteousness? Verse 4 says 'who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit'. Was do you suppose 'walking' after the Spirit is? What is 'walking' after the flesh? Is it just a matter of faith? It's how you live your life, not how you believe. It's your behavior, your actions, your works. It's as John says - those who practice righteousness are righteous, just as He is.

I endeavor to follow the law of the Spirit. If Jesus asked me if I Love (Agape) Him I would like to say that this is love: not that I loved God, but that he loved me and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for my sins, and so I love Him in response to Him and through His Spirit. But really I would be undone in His presence, He has been a very beautiful friend to me and my heart aches to be in His presence.

But you conveniently ignore what Jesus says - if you love me, keep My commandments. Love is reciprocal. If you love your wife, but she doesn't return that love, there is no conjunction.

If you endeavor to return His love, He told us how.

Yes, they willfully chose to follow the covenant they had been given, by faith in the promise that God had given them.

Nothing is said about them willfully choosing to obey by faith in the promise that God had given them. They followed from their heart's desire.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By Faith....Abaraham, Isaac, Jacob, Josephh etc, etc, These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect. (Hebrews 11)

So together with us the faithful ones were made perfect in Christ.

It was by faith all the OT saints 'DID' things.

Zacharias and Elisabeth recognised this fact, looked forward to the promise that was given and rejoiced when they beheld the promised one. The baby in Elisabeth's womb leapt when he sensed the presence of the saviour of mankind with the womb of Mary.

It would be better not to inject something in the word that isn't there. Nothing is said about looking forward to the promise given. Yes, Jesus was promised, but that had nothing to do with their righteousness. It said they were righteous, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

So how is a person righteous if he walks in darkness, that is, the works of the flesh? Here again, we see 'walk'. What did you conclude above about the meaning of 'walk'? Jesus fulfilling the law will do nothing for the one who continues to 'walk' in darkness.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. (1 John 1)

What is this 'unrighteousness' of which John speaks? Why is a person 'unrighteous' if he is imputed Jesus' righteousness? Is Jesus' righteousness unrighteous?

See above. I do not wish to sin, but if I do, and confess my error, He is faithful to forgive.

So, if you and I sin, are we righteous or unrighteous?

So the Law is fulfilled on the grounds of forgiveness that is extended because of the righteousness of Christ.

The law is fulfilled by keeping it, just as Jesus did. Forgiveness is for those who break the law. What did John say sin was? Sin is lawlessness. Break the law, one is lawless.

As for faith and works; true repentance is reflected in action, but the heart/mind change is what is important. Heartless/Mindless following of written Law is precisely what is wrong with eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Following the law is not heartless/mindless. Adam and Ever were mindless when they disobeyed God's law, not obeyed it. How do you conclude that following the law is heartless/mindless? I surely don't think God would think so.

Unless you discount the letter Paul wrote to the Galatians of course:
For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Galatians 2)

Jesus never said to die to the law; He said to keep it.

How are you crucified with Christ? Please explain this. I would like to hear a reasonable explanation, if you don't mind.

I still don't we need to repent for forsaking grace in those verses. I don't see the need to repent for keeping the law for righteousness. Are you assuming these things?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is the ASV of Romans 8. At least it gives the verses.

Romans 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace:
7 because the mind of the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be:
8 and they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you. But if any man hath not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwelleth in you, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead shall give life also to your mortal bodies through his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
The authors of the Bible did not write in chapters or verses and the addition of these has been a major influence on poor contextualisation of the message given. Specifically In the letters Paul wrote, he was developing arguments for the correction of wrong beliefs and teachings that were being promulgated in the Churches that the letters were addressed to.
The argument developed in Romans is the futility of following the Law as given to the nation of Israel under the Mosaic covenant, or indeed any natural moral Law that points out wrong doing. Rather we should walk in accordance with the Law of the Spirit which leads us into life and love.

Do you see the condition for no condemnation and righteousness?
...for those that are in Christ Jesus.

Verse 4 says 'who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit'. Was do you suppose 'walking' after the Spirit is?
Walking after the Spirit is exactly what it says. Jesus sent His Spirit to dwell within us:

but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. (Romans 8)

What is 'walking' after the flesh?
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires;

Is it just a matter of faith? It's how you live your life, not how you believe. It's your behavior, your actions, your works. It's as John says - those who practice righteousness are righteous, just as He is.
Yes, actions reflect what we truly trust, believe and follow, but it is the state of the heart in accordance with the Spirit that matters.

To preach following of some Law apart from the Spirit is tp promote exactly the error of the Pharisees:

Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

But you conveniently ignore what Jesus says - if you love me, keep My commandments. Love is reciprocal. If you love your wife, but she doesn't return that love, there is no conjunction.

If you endeavor to return His love, He told us how.
The apostle Peter was asked a similar question, three times and also broke down.
Jesus commandment is this: A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13)

and Paul wrote: Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. (Ephesians 5)

I have never encountered or heard of anybody (apart from Christ Jesus) that Loves another person completely in this way. Christ was completely selfless to the point of death, and He invites us to do the same thing daily so that we can experience the miracle of the resurrection in our own lives.

But He does not leave us as orphans, trying to do the impossible, rather He gives us His Spirit, He says: “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will bec in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”....

“Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

“All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.....Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15)

It is true that a person following the Spirit will bear fruit according to the Spirit.
It is also true that many do good works according to the Law apart from the Spirit (If righteousness comes through following the good works of the law then there are many righteous who don't want a bar of God or Jesus, and who hate Him).
It is those who are following the Spirit that are acting as children of God that belong to Him.

Nothing is said about them willfully choosing to obey by faith in the promise that God had given them. They followed from their heart's desire.
Yes, the heart given to us by the Spirit and according to the Spirit.

It was by faith all the OT saints 'DID' things.
Yes, and the faith, the state of heart, came first which enabled them to continue doing the things even though they stumbled from the letter of the Law. It was faith in God that kept the whole shebang going even when things looked very bleak.

It would be better not to inject something in the word that isn't there. Nothing is said about looking forward to the promise given. Yes, Jesus was promised, but that had nothing to do with their righteousness. It said they were righteous, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
This is described in Hebrews: The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. Otherwise, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins. It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.(Hebrews 10)

So the faithful ones had this promise to look forward to, that the Law would be fulfilled in the Coming One; also: The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

“This is the covenant I will make with them

after that time, says the Lord.

I will put my laws in their hearts,

and I will write them on their minds.”

Then he adds:

“Their sins and lawless acts

I will remember no more.”

And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.

So how is a person righteous if he walks in darkness, that is, the works of the flesh?
Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God. (John 3)

It is also about having deeds exposed and on view. Clearly those who love the light, who have become righteous, will walk in the light in the constant relationship with the Spirit, out of Love for the Spirit and walking according to the Spirits leading.

Here again, we see 'walk'. What did you conclude above about the meaning of 'walk'? Jesus fulfilling the law will do nothing for the one who continues to 'walk' in darkness.
Your definition of walking in light vs walking in darkness presupposes that the analogy of light and darkness relates to the Law of sin and death, whereas it should be obvious that it is Christ Jesus that is the light of the world.

What is this 'unrighteousness' of which John speaks? Why is a person 'unrighteous' if he is imputed Jesus' righteousness? Is Jesus' righteousness unrighteous?
Forsaking the grace of Christ, causing injury to the relationship that we have in Him, not remaining in Him, would constitutes unrighteousness. No amount of subsequent law following apart from Him, brings the sap back to the branch rather it is returning to the trust that we were first given that will put us back on the path.

So, if you and I sin, are we righteous or unrighteous?
Righteousness is determined according to your relationship. It means "to be in right relationship". Clearly if a person sins against a relationship there must be a restoration of that relationship, but it is a work in progress. We have security in our righteousness apart from the Law that exists because of faith in the Spirit of Christ, not our works according to the Law.

The law is fulfilled by keeping it, just as Jesus did.
So what then do you do with the death of Christ?

Forgiveness is for those who break the law. What did John say sin was? Sin is lawlessness. Break the law, one is lawless.
Yes, forgiveness, extended on the grounds of the death of Christ Jesus atoning sacrifice. Now that we are forgiven of our sin, the whole lot, then I am in Him not under condemnation. There is no repeat of the sacrifice every day, He has done it once and for all, for all sin. There is no need for the constant cycle of law breaking, unrighteousness and reconciliation (in fact to do this would be an insult to the efficacy of what Christ Jesus achieved in His death), rather we live in a constant state of righteous relationship with Him, in Him and He in us.
Now He gives us His Spirit, an abiding relationship with Him. The Law is behind us and we are free to bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Following the law is not heartless/mindless. Adam and Ever were mindless when they disobeyed God's law, not obeyed it. How do you conclude that following the law is heartless/mindless? I surely don't think God would think so.
Strict following of Law takes no account for the person in the state that they are in today. It is a clear cut case of law following or law breaking as opposed to the relationship between parents and children that makes allowance for development and the unique nature of the person at their particular stage of development.

The Law is easy to administer for the sake of less intelligent human authorities, and the Mosaic Law is at the highest pinnacle of Law in this respect, but now (and for 2000 years now) we have the Spirit of Christ:

“This is the covenant I will make with them

after that time, says the Lord.

I will put my laws in their hearts,

and I will write them on their minds.”

Then he adds:

“Their sins and lawless acts

I will remember no more.”

Jesus never said to die to the law; He said to keep it.
Yes, keep it, by all means and good luck to you. But for those of us who were lawless there is a better way that is perpetually righteous and teaches the Law of the Spirit that renders the written Law superfluous.

How are you crucified with Christ? Please explain this. I would like to hear a reasonable explanation, if you don't mind.
A commitment to identifying with His death and resurrection is made at baptism, now in imitation of Him we lay down our lives daily for those of us around us (our neighbour).
Now every time there is a choice given to us between doing what would benefit ourselves and something that would benefit our neighbour we will be prompted by the Spirit to crucify our own flesh for the benefit of our neighbour. This might be anything from picking up somebody else's rubbish to giving up our holiday savings so somebody (maybe not to "deserving") can buy a car. This is where the Spirit leads me continually and it is at times excruciating.
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. (1 John 3)

I still don't we need to repent for forsaking grace in those verses. I don't see the need to repent for keeping the law for righteousness. Are you assuming these things?
I feel that you grossly under estimate the terrible Holiness of God and His perfect Law.

The beginning of wisdom is the fear of God, perhaps you haven't truly looked into how fearfully Holy God is. He is perfect and the light of His perfect standard makes us all look very rotten indeed.

Christ Jesus only maintained His sinless nature by living only according to the Spirit, so if you are taking it upon yourself, thinking that by your own good works you can maintain a right relationship with the Most High and Holy God, then this is clearly impossible.

If you rely on the Law for your supposed righteousness then unfortunately you are forsaking what Christ has done for you.

For me, I had to repent of this, the constant cycle of condemnation and shame, trying to follow the law and failing over and over and over and over again, was doing a lot of damage in my life and the lives of my loved ones. It wasn't until I realised how futile and destructive my religious life was and how much Christ had done for me that I was truly able to accept the Cross.

He has offered us His position of favour and righteousness before His Dad and put Himself in our position.

If we trust in Him (and yes the evidence of this trust will manifest in good fruit for that is the outworking of Life and Love), He promises us that we will Live and Love, He in us and we in Him, in complete righteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The authors of the Bible did not write in chapters or verses and the addition of these has been a major influence on poor contextualisation of the message given. Specifically In the letters Paul wrote, he was developing arguments for the correction of wrong beliefs and teachings that were being promulgated in the Churches that the letters were addressed to.
The argument developed in Romans is the futility of following the Law as given to the nation of Israel under the Mosaic covenant, or indeed any natural moral Law that points out wrong doing. Rather we should walk in accordance with the Law of the Spirit which leads us into life and love.

And please explain the law of the Spirit. What does it entail? How does one know they are following the law of the Spirit? Does the law of the Spirit contradict God's truth in the law of Moses? Does the law of the Spirit dismiss the truth of the law of Moses? Was the law of the Old Covenant temporary or eternal?

David said this -

Psalm 119:142
Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And thy law is truth.

If God's law in the OT is truth, how is it man wants to do away with God's truth? The law was the word of God. Jesus is the word from the beginning. Do you think God got it wrong with His law? Do you think God changed His mind concerning His law?

...for those that are in Christ Jesus.

Read it all...'who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.' If you are walking after the flesh, you are not in Christ Jesus. Does that make sense to you?

Romans 6:19
I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye presented your members as servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity, even so now present your members as servants to righteousness unto sanctification.

Romans 7:5
For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were through the law, wrought in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Romans 8:4
that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:6
For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace:

Romans 8:7
because the mind of the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be:

Romans 8:8
and they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:13
for if ye live after the flesh, ye must die; but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Romans 13:14
But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof.

Galatians 5:16
But I say, Walk by the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 5
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties,
21 envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 6:8
For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life.

2 Corinthians 7:1
Having therefore these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

How can man think he can live to the flesh and be saved? The works of the flesh are what the OT laws were against. If one lives to the flesh, he is breaking the OT laws. If he walks to the Spirit, he is keeping the OT laws, which hang on the two great commandments.

You can't get away from the truth of God's laws. To get away from them, you are walking after the flesh. I often wonder what it is with the OT law that people don't like? They are eternal, they are God's truth, they give life, and they testify of Jesus.

Walking after the Spirit is exactly what it says. Jesus sent His Spirit to dwell within us:

but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

A very vague answer. Please go into detail of the law of the Spirit. Just what is it? How does one obey the law of the Spirit?

Was the OT law not what the Spirit desired? Really? Who thinks otherwise? Do you think the OT law was in opposition to the Spirit? Both are from God. Is God in opposition to Himself?

You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. (Romans 8)

Romans 8
12 So then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh:
13 for if ye live after the flesh, ye must die; but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Did you notice this? '...but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live.'

If the OT law couldn't be kept by man, how is it man can put to death the deeds of the body, of which the law condemns? If you say by the Spirit, please go into detail how the Spirit does this. In fact, few today put to death the deeds of the body. Is the Spirit powerless to help man in putting to death the deeds of the body? Why do so many today choose to live to the flesh? Even if man has the Spirit to live according to its dictates, he must rid himself of an evil heart, which many neglect.

That's enough for now.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Come to think of it the word conjunction in terms of Love is not Biblical, neither in the word itself, nor in concept. The Love of God is always unilateral, and His challenge to all of us is to exemplify this Love. Our source of Life is to be the one who Loves us, not the one who we Love.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. (Romans 5)

In the same way we are encouraged to Love our wives, even if there is no "conjunction", even if she is our enemy, the Spirit will lead us to continually lay down our life for her, not because this would (or would not) work, but because we Love her, and in imitation and by the strength of the One who first Loved us.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Come to think of it the word conjunction in terms of Love is not Biblical, neither in the word itself, nor in concept. The Love of God is always unilateral, and His challenge to all of us is to exemplify this Love. Our source of Life is to be the one who Loves us, not the one who we Love.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. (Romans 5)

In the same way we are encouraged to Love our wives, even if there is no "conjunction", even if she is our enemy, the Spirit will lead us to continually lay down our life for her, not because this would (or would not) work, but because we Love her, and in imitation and by the strength of the One who first Loved us.

Surely you don't think there is no union in marriage and love. Even the natural mind can see this. Have you not read that two shall become one? How can two become one without union?

Mark 10
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife;
8 and the two shall become one flesh: so that they are no more two, but one flesh.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

In verse 9, is your conjunction. To say with love, there is no conjunction, isn't Biblical.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And please explain the law of the Spirit. What does it entail?
“Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. “All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 14)
How does one know they are following the law of the Spirit?
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Does the law of the Spirit contradict God's truth in the law of Moses?
Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them.” But the righteousness that is by faith says: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down) “or ‘Who will descend into the deep?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”(Romans 10)

The Law of Moses is about prohibition and boundaries, it is how we know that what we do is wrong, when we do wrong. It tells us what side of the fence we are on. It is true and good but it never provided anybody the way to Life, that was not its purpose rather it looked froward to its own fulfilment in the person of Christ.

The Law of the Spirit, on the other hand, focuses on the source of life when we walk according to the Spirit, we walk towards Life and Love when we turn away we walk according to the flesh and death.

It is not a Law in the sense of rules and regulations, rather it is a Law in the nature of gravity; one way is up, the other is down.

Does the law of the Spirit dismiss the truth of the law of Moses?
Not at all, and in so far as people are sinners it serves to show us our sin.

Was the law of the Old Covenant temporary or eternal?
Eternally as a sign post that says "this way lies sin and death".

David said this -

Psalm 119:142
Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And thy law is truth.
Can't disagree with David who looked forward to the coming of His redeemer.

If God's law in the OT is truth, how is it man wants to do away with God's truth? The law was the word of God.
Sinners do not want to recognise their sin.
Jesus is the word from the beginning.
Yes, He is the light of the world and that light is the life of men.

Do you think God got it wrong with His law?
Not at all, rather for every one of us His purpose for the Law of Moses necessarily precedes our redemption and life in Christ Jesus. It is by the Law (whether we live under the Law of Moses or not) that we recognise the need of a saviour.

Do you think God changed His mind concerning His law?
Not at all.

Read it all...'who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.' If you are walking after the flesh, you are not in Christ Jesus. Does that make sense to you?
The flesh is indeed subject to death because of sin:

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.(Romans 8)

I am not interested in the flesh if I have my mind set on the things of the Spirit, which means I am only thinking about the things of the Spirit.

I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye presented your members as servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity, even so now present your members as servants to righteousness unto sanctification.
That's right we are urged to present ourselves to the way of righteousness towards sanctification. This says nothing of our redemption unto salvation according to the written law and in fact does not direct us to follow the written Law towards sanctification either.

For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were through the law, wrought in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
Yes, the wrong fruit: The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. So it's not so much a matter of not following the Law (although the Law shows us what we did was sinful according to God) rather it was the wrong fruit that came from our following after the flesh.

that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Yes, the ordinance of the Law is that the penalty for sin according to the Law is death. Christ has died for us.

quote]Romans 8:6
For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace:[/quote]
That's right so we walk according to the Spirit in Life and Peace, not according to the Law of Sin and death that is rendered powerless because of the flesh.

because the mind of the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be:

Romans 8:8
and they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:13
for if ye live after the flesh, ye must die; but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Romans 13:14
But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof.

Galatians 5:16
But I say, Walk by the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 5
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties,
21 envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 6:8
For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life.

2 Corinthians 7:1
Having therefore these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
Amen, amen and amen. All according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh. No written Law required anywhere.

How can man think he can live to the flesh and be saved?
He probably cannot, for even if he once had the Spirit it will eventually be quenched by the sin and death in his life, he will whither and die, to be cut off and thrown into the fire.

The works of the flesh are what the OT laws were against. If one lives to the flesh, he is breaking the OT laws. If he walks to the Spirit, he is keeping the OT laws, which hang on the two great commandments.
Yes, he will. He will in fact exceed, by far, the 2 great commandments and will become perfect as Christ is perfect.

But following the OT Laws apart from the Spirit of Christ is not the way of salvation. The good things we do are fruit of the Spirit, not the fruit of man in the flesh.

You can't get away from the truth of God's laws. To get away from them, you are walking after the flesh. I often wonder what it is with the OT law that people don't like? They are eternal, they are God's truth, they give life, and they testify of Jesus.
Yes, yes and yes. I agree. On the terms of men without the Spirit they are truly amazing and go far deeper and wider than any basic understanding of them as simple rules and regulations. I love reading the Rabbinical understanding of the Law it is very beautiful and compelling.
But it is not the way of salvation, nor is it the way of the Spirit, our sanctification. Rather it is given and should be used to reprove and correct when we fail to follow the Spirit of Christ.
Even the letters of the Apostles were written for this purpose.
For example the Corinthians were left for years with the simple message of the gospel and were only written to when they erred in the way, the letter to the Galatians is the same.
A very vague answer. Please go into detail of the law of the Spirit. Just what is it?
Christ is the Spirit, He is Light and He is Life, the Life of Men. The way of the Spirit leads to Life in Love.

How does one obey the law of the Spirit?
By hearing and doing.

Was the OT law not what the Spirit desired? Really? Who thinks otherwise? Do you think the OT law was in opposition to the Spirit? Both are from God. Is God in opposition to Himself?
What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

The OT Law was what God desired for people who did not have the Spirit. It is a precursor and points towards the fulfilment that is in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8
12 So then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh:
13 for if ye live after the flesh, ye must die; but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Did you notice this? '...but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live.'
Certainly I noticed it; it says "if by the Spirit. It does not say "if by following the written Law".

If the OT law couldn't be kept by man, how is it man can put to death the deeds of the body, of which the law condemns?
It couldn't be done because we are all hopeless, not because it was impossible. Christ Jesus demonstrated that. He lived only according to the will of His Father and so fulfilled the Law in His life and then fulfilled the Spirit of the Law in His death.

If you say by the Spirit, please go into detail how the Spirit does this. In fact, few today put to death the deeds of the body. Is the Spirit powerless to help man in putting to death the deeds of the body?
The person that gives himself over to the Spirit and is lead only by the Spirit mortifies the flesh. I don't know how this happens, I could say according to His power, but in the situations where I have lived like this I have had absolutely no problem with the desires of the flesh, in spite of being presented with every temptation to the contrary. For a person like me that is amazing and miraculous.

Where I fail, I confess, is when I give in to to the desire of the flesh at some small point. This seems to stifle the good relationship I have with God and (unless recognised and dealt with) enables the flesh to present even more desires that eventually lead to a stumble.

The evil heart you are referring to is what needs to be mortified, I agree, but once it is dead it needs to be replaced by the Life of Christ so that we can say it is not I that lives but Christ that Lives in me.

Why do so many today choose to live to the flesh? Even if man has the Spirit to live according to its dictates, he must rid himself of an evil heart, which many neglect.

That's enough for now.
This has been the case since the 1st century. Paul corrected the Galatians in this way: You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. (Galatians 5)

and Peter wrote: Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God's slaves. (1 Peter 2)

Clearly in all Churches there have been those who take our freedom the wrong way, but this does nothing to negate the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and His Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Surely you don't think there is no union in marriage and love. Even the natural mind can see this. Have you not read that two shall become one? How can two become one without union?

Mark 10
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife;
8 and the two shall become one flesh: so that they are no more two, but one flesh.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

In verse 9, is your conjunction. To say with love, there is no conjunction, isn't Biblical.
Your "conjunction" then has little to do with reciprocated Love, rather it has to do with a man cleaving to his wife and the 2 becoming one flesh. Hopefully this is done in the context of a Loving relationship but for many of this in the real world this is not always the case and other factors prevail.

So you believe that if your wife does not reciprocate your Love, that what God has joined together is put asunder?

Clearly not. Yet if the woman fails to Love the man the Spirit will lead Him to Love her nevertheless in imitation of Him.

Upvote 0