Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. no.
2. no.
  1. May I ask then: in what sense than did man know good and evil after the fall, since after all, that's what it says of him -- Genesis 3:22?
  2. Does this not then show the unique nature of the moral aspect of the Mosaic Law -- since Paul says that without having a law, they do by nature the things contained in the law? What then do they "keep" in the law without having the law?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, to narrow down the substance of mine thought, can you (and anyone really) answer the following questions:

1. Did mankind in general (apart from the man of God that had continued communion with Him in one sense or another) know good and evil before the Mosaic Law, as in the case of those evils I've listed in post #22?
  2. When Paul says, "For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another"; do you therefore think that he includes here things ceremonial, things pertaining to sanctuary worship, rituals pertaining to sacrifices and purification, outward cleanness and uncleanness of the flesh, food, & material things, as those things that the gentiles may have perceive without the law?
1. I do think the knowledge of good and evil was pasted down from both Adam and Eve, without the need for the Law. The Law just added lots mor ways to sin or better said: "Ways to be pleasing to God". God gave us a conscience so when we do stuff which hurts others, we have a lingering pain. That is part of the Law written on our hearts. If we go on sinning, we can harden our hearts to the point of not feeling pain.
2. no

• Agree
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Dima 26

Jul 13, 2021
Auburn
✟58,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. I do think the knowledge of good and evil was pasted down from both Adam and Eve, without the need for the Law. The Law just added lots mor ways to sin or better said: "Ways to be pleasing to God". God gave us a conscience so when we do stuff which hurts others, we have a lingering pain. That is part of the Law written on our hearts. If we go on sinning, we can harden our hearts to the point of not feeling pain.
2. no
Interestingly, the Lord said immediately after the fall, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil." Now while it's difficult to know to what extend Adam was a "moral creature" before the fall -- as we can only relate to his fallen state into which we are all born -- that statement of God, however, would imply that he didn't need much of His "training" to perceive "good and evil", as even seen from when He asked Adam how he knew that he was naked -- after their eyes were opened. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that mankind from the day that he fell became morally conscience and accountable creatures even without much of God's meddling. I agree that the Lord didn't want them to "lean on their own understanding" and depart from Him -- doing what is right in his own eyes; but this would not undue the fact that he knew good and evil and thus had a duty to follow after good. Would you agree?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, the Lord said immediately after the fall, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil." Now while it's difficult to know to what extend Adam was a "moral creature" before the fall -- as we can only relate to his fallen state into which we are all born -- that statement of God, however, would imply that he didn't need much of His "training" to perceive "good and evil", as even seen from when He asked Adam how he knew that he was naked -- after their eyes were opened. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that mankind from the day that he fell became morally conscience and accountable creatures even without much of God's meddling. I agree that the Lord didn't want them to "lean on their own understanding" and depart from Him -- doing what is right in his own eyes; but this would not undue the fact that he knew good and evil and thus had a duty to follow after good. Would you agree?
Yes, for the most part. Knowledge in and of itself is not good or bad, but what you do with that knowledge is extremely important. Know of good and evil gives man a ton of ways to sin, while Adam and Eve had only one way to sin, yet sinned. Man's "nature" would not have to change from the same nature Adam and Eve had for all men to sin, since there was now a ton of ways to sin.

Upvote 0

Dima 26

Jul 13, 2021
Auburn
✟58,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, for the most part. Knowledge in and of itself is not good or bad, but what you do with that knowledge is extremely important. Know of good and evil gives man a ton of ways to sin, while Adam and Eve had only one way to sin, yet sinned. Man's "nature" would not have to change from the same nature Adam and Eve had for all men to sin, since there was now a ton of ways to sin.
I certainly agree: it's what you do with the knowledge that's extremely important -- whether unto good or unto evil.

Now one of the reasons why God gave the law is to establish by His authority what is in fact good and what is in fact evil; otherwise you have sinful man dictating the moral law after his own heart, which is always going to be warped and missing the mark of perfection that God wants man to know -- if for no other reason, than at least so that man may declare the Lord righteous. For the gentile nations also had kings and judges, who judged their own brethren and different controversies, applying their own judgement of what's right and wrong. And so what you get is man exalting himself over his brethren -- judging themselves to be lawgivers, and their brethren doers of their law instead. Now the more scrupulous of them will appeal to their "righteousness" for the credibility of their authority -- showing that they are better than many of those they judge, if not the best in some cases. But many would simply be contend to do with whatever righteousness they had naturally, and would instead lean on their power, riches, authority, and separation from the people as a means to get an advantage over their brethren in righteousness, and thus exalt themselves over them. But now, the Just God does not receive the persons of man, neither yet their righteousness that is as filthy rags. Therefore the God of gods -- the One perfect in righteousness, judgement, mercy, and truth -- the Most High Who is far above all others -- whether heaven or earth, gives a law that is absolutely binding on all (that is in context of the times, to exalt Himself over man). More than that, it is a wholesome and complete law -- enough to convict all under sin. For though there may be some that refused much of the evil others have not, and worked much good that others did not, he would still fall in one area or another, and so be judged by the law. James 2:10. Now if he is bound and judged by the law -- having his errors to address -- he is a doer of the law, and no longer a judge of the law. Consequently, he may no longer exalt himself over his brethren, only as far as he is truly brought up in the instruction of righteousness -- now taught of God. Matthew 7:1-5. And so, there is no more boasting before God, no more despising of that image of God that his brother also carries, but rather, together with his brethren, man may learn to declare the Lord Righteous evermore. This concept is also well shown in Deuteronomy 17:18-20.

Now I wont be surprised if some (because of mine brief summation of the matter) find this somehow contrary in one way or another to some New Testament tenets; in which case I stand ready to proceed further: to the spirit of the law over the letter, the righteousness of faith, and Justification in the Holy One -- Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Dima 26

Jul 13, 2021
Auburn
✟58,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. yes
2. no

or as Jesus put "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have had sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin."
Those are the right answers, although not sure in what way exactly you mean to support them with that verse.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Paul says that without having a law, they do by nature the things contained in the law? What then do they "keep" in the law without having the law?
I think in Romans 2 it is written that those who do not have Torah, they do not even have a Bible, but they do what is right according to Torah, God Justifies.
While those who have Torah, or have a Bible and such training, but do not do what is right according to Torah, they are UNjustified as God Says.

Those who do what is right, show by their lives (effortlessly, without trying or realizing it) , that God Himself has written Torah in(or on) their hearts.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those are the right answers, although not sure in what way exactly you mean to support them with that verse.

in light of John 8:38 John 14:10 John 14:24 John 14:49 etc etc

"If I had not come and spoken to them, ( "thou shall not eat of it") they would not have had sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin."

Upvote 0

Dima 26

Jul 13, 2021
Auburn
✟58,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think in Romans 2 it is written that those who do not have Torah, they do not even have a Bible, but they do what is right according to Torah, God Justifies.
While those who have Torah, or have a Bible and such training, but do not do what is right according to Torah, they are UNjustified as God Says.

Those who do what is right, show by their lives (effortlessly, without trying or realizing it) , that God Himself has written Torah in(or on) their hearts.
I largely agree; I was mainly trying to make a point with that for those who do not have the law (Torah), the only real aspect of the law that they could of been cable of doing by nature would be the moral aspect of it, which I think can be also called "the righteousness of the law", as in Romans 2:26. You appear to agree with this based of your answer to question #2, although I'm not sure that you do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dima 26

Jul 13, 2021
Auburn
✟58,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
in light of John 8:38 John 14:10 John 14:24 John 14:49 etc etc

"If I had not come and spoken to them, ( "thou shall not eat of it") they would not have had sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin."
So you think that man (in context of question #1) knew what is "good and evil" but did not know what is "sin". That would be correct, as Paul says, "I had not known sin but by the law". I can elaborate on that, if you are interested.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you think that man (in context of question #1) knew what is "good and evil" but did not know what is "sin". That would be correct, as Paul says, "I had not known sin but by the law". I can elaborate on that, if you are interested.

which falls in line with being naked and not ashamed and naked and ashamed ...

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I largely agree; I was mainly trying to make a point with that for those who do not have the law (Torah), the only real aspect of the law that they could of been cable of doing by nature would be the moral aspect of it, which I think can be also called "the righteousness of the law", as in Romans 2:26. You appear to agree with this based of your answer to question #2, although I'm not sure that you do.
I think trying to describe 'the moral aspect' is an inaccurate way of dividing Torah for human reasons or principles and not one , in a situation described, as God Says.
In Romans 2 it is written that those who do what is right according to the Torah are justified by God.
They do not separate so-called 'moral aspect' from some other aspect, they simply obey as God has written Torah on their heart and they live their lives doing what Torah Says and they are justified , not justified by the Torah, but by God Himself as God Says in His Word.

Upvote 0

Dima 26

Jul 13, 2021
Auburn
✟58,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think trying to describe 'the moral aspect' is an inaccurate way of dividing Torah for human reasons or principles and not one , in a situation described, as God Says.
In Romans 2 it is written that those who do what is right according to the Torah are justified by God.
They do not separate so-called 'moral aspect' from some other aspect, they simply obey as God has written Torah on their heart and they live their lives doing what Torah Says and they are justified , not justified by the Torah, but by God Himself as God Says in His Word.
May I ask in what sense you understand man to have "known good and evil" since the day he ate from the forbidden fruit, since you answered No to question #1?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what about time before the giving of the law, such as those examples of the men of God that I gave: Enoch, Noah, and Job? Did they have the aid of the Spirit to be able to work righteousness and overcome evil, such as through understanding and wisdom? I do agree that under the old covenant -- meaning after the giving of the law -- the covenant made with Israel, as I have also shown, the work of the Spirit was undeniable.

The Holy Spirit was poured upon all Christians since the Pentecost event. Before that, only the prophets and chosen witnesses can be with the Holy Spirit. Jesus called Abel a prophet, it means the work of the Spirit already started early on. More likely Enoch is another chosen witness of God, and with the Holy Spirit on him. Noah and Job are also apparently direct witnesses of God, the Holy Spirit was with them.

In a nutshell, in OT Holy Spirit is given to the chosen prophets and chosen witnesses while in NT the Holy Spirit is poured upon all Christians since the Pentecost event.

Knowing "good and evil" is something else. Law is written in our heart since the very beginning, such that we can be judged after we die. No Law then no Judgment. The formal covenant, based on which humans are judged, however started with Noah's covenant of rainbow. The Bible didn't say clearly about how humans shall be judged before Noah. To me, the hint is Jesus spent His 3 days to preach the gospel to people at Noah's days. This could mean that somehow humans before Noah could possibly subject to our New Covenant in a way which we may not know as it doesn't concern us and our salvation.

It seems to me that the Jewish covenants are built up bit by bit, started with Abraham. Circumcision signifies a switch from a gentile covenant (of Noah) to a Jewish covenant which is faith-based at the end as unlike the gentiles the Jews are considered know of God or heard of God for their faith to show. Mosaic Law is a set of Law subject to the Mosaic Covenant, it requires the Jews to observe a set of laws conveyed in both written form and oral form. Even so, the top most commandment is still about loving God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength which is all about faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dima 26

Jul 13, 2021
Auburn
✟58,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit was poured upon all Christians since the Pentecost event. Before that, only the prophets and chosen witnesses can be with the Holy Spirit. Jesus called Abel a prophet, it means the work of the Spirit already started early on. More likely Enoch is another chosen witness of God, and with the Holy Spirit on him. Noah and Job are also apparently direct witnesses of God, the Holy Spirit was with them.

In a nutshell, in OT Holy Spirit is given to the chosen prophets and chosen witnesses while in NT the Holy Spirit is poured upon all Christians since the Pentecost event.
Yes, agreed. I originally decided to post this question because I heard someone express once the following line of thinking: "that the godly before the law were able to do what is right without the aide of the Holy Spirit because man was created upright (see Ecclesiastes 7:29 for reference) and therefore it was more or less natural to him". Now while I consent that moral degradation did in fact follow with time - this necessarily hurting their ability to follow good; the major problem with this thinking, however, is that man was able through the "wisdom" gained from the forbidden fruit, to actually choose the good over the evil, thus seemingly justifying man's desire to be "gods" and to know how to work good for themselves. So I was curios to see if anyone here may have reasoned similarly, which it does not appear anyone does.
Knowing "good and evil" is something else. Law is written in our heart since the very beginning, such that we can be judged after we die. No Law then no Judgment.
When you say "No law then no Judgment", what exactly do you mean mean by that, since you say the law is written in our heart since the beginning, such that we can be judged after we die? How will God judge them than in the last day of the Final Judgement? I take it for this reason you bring the example of Christ preaching to the disobedient in the days of Noah, however, I did want some clarification as you did say after all, "Law is written in our heart since the very beginning, such that we can be judged after we die."
The formal covenant, based on which humans are judged, however started with Noah's covenant of rainbow. The Bible didn't say clearly about how humans shall be judged before Noah.
I do not see how the introduction of the Covenant with Noah could serve as a means by which people could now be responsibly judged, besides murder and eating animals with their blood. Even with murder however, people must of known that this is sin, as seen from Cain's curse and Lamech's words; so that is seems to be more of an introduction of the death penalty, and how high a cost man's blood is with God. He also permitted them to eat all animals, but this not very significant in regards to the moral law.
To me, the hint is Jesus spent His 3 days to preach the gospel to people at Noah's days. This could mean that somehow humans before Noah could possibly subject to our New Covenant in a way which we may not know as it doesn't concern us and our salvation.
I didn't quite get what you exactly you meant by "could possibly subject to our New Covenant", but I'm guessing you meant that they had the chance to receive Christ's preaching and thus be saved - basically getting a second chance that no one else does for their reason of being without law and Noahic Covenant. I see quite a bit of issues with this view, but even without getting into all the implications of what this difficult passage of Apostle Peter's may lead to (depending on its interpretation), we still have a lot of peoples and nations that would not have been under the law for long periods of time, until finally the times when Jewish diaspora and proselytism reached a large enough extend to where the nations could no longer claim to have "never heard". What chance were these than given, that were largely in the same state of being without law as those under Noah's time? I'm guessing you'll mention the Noahic Covenant was sufficient for them, but would you be able to elaborate a bit, since it cannot be taught reasonable that the Noahic Covenant could of reveal anywhere near enough of the moral law to hold those under it accountable for judgement, while those before it as not?
It seems to me that the Jewish covenants are built up bit by bit, started with Abraham. Circumcision signifies a switch from a gentile covenant (of Noah) to a Jewish covenant which is faith-based at the end as unlike the gentiles the Jews are considered know of God or heard of God for their faith to show. Mosaic Law is a set of Law subject to the Mosaic Covenant, it requires the Jews to observe a set of laws conveyed in both written form and oral form. Even so, the top most commandment is still about loving God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength which is all about faith.
Yes, I agree that the first and second commandment, as Jesus said, are to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind, & strength, and our neighbor as ourselves - which are out of the Mosaic Law.

I'd just like to state here plainly, that it is wholly reasonable that God will still judge those before the law (and Noahic Covenant) based of the things that they did know of Him, and those things taught by those who walked with Him, Whom (the Lord) they also decided to forsake. This would be their greatest downfall and cause of condemnation: their forsaking of Him and relying on themselves; but even than, they would have sufficiently known that God is a Just, Holy, Merciful, and Righteous God, and their conscience would also bear them witness that they in fact "knew good and evil". They would surely be more excusable than those who had the law, but still not excusable as to not be held accountable for working evil.

Upvote 0

Dima 26

Jul 13, 2021
Auburn
✟58,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
naked and not ashamed speaks to having sin but unaware of it, as naked and ashamed speaks to having sin and being aware f it ...
Interestingly, I thought that's what you may have meant, but didn't want to jump to that conclusion since that would appear that your saying that Adam and Eve basically committed some forms of both good and evil before their fall...but correct me if I'm misrepresenting you.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, I thought that's what you may have meant, but didn't want to jump to that conclusion since that would appear that your saying that Adam and Eve basically committed some forms of both good and evil before their fall...but correct me if I'm misrepresenting you.

to put it in a question ... how do we reason, as in how do we take thought ?

Upvote 0