Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Carl , that was a wonderful sermon and thank you for sharing. I think every Christian can only relate how Jesus interacts with them personally. And that is different for every believer. If i wasn't a believer i would listen to this man's story and not believe him because i simply cannot experience the "voice of Jesus" in the way he describes. I would say, well, that's just what happened in your life and maybe has nothing to do with God. But then if i'm describing how God works in my life, it may not sound true or make sense to the listener also. Because it's how God interacts with me and not them!!!! And what if i later tell the story and attribute things to God that may not be true? just because i believe, or want it to be true. That's where the lines get blurry. And this man could have easily done that in his story, just to relate John 10 to his personal experience which may or may not be true. I think Sadhguru said it best: "If i tell you a story, even if it's a real story. If you believe me or don't believe me, it gets you no closer to truth Because it is not in your experience. The only true reference to the "voice" of Jesus would be only our personal experience. If we read something in the bible, we might then pick up serpent and drink some poison, just like it says, among other things that we try so desperately to relate to our life but simply aren't a reality for us personally. I pray there is a way for us to draw a hard line on this and put it to bed, almost like a modern day Elijah test, but even then if I made fire come down from heaven, by the Spirit just like Elijah did, there would be many who would still not believe. And may even scare some others are wondering why they can't do it also. Carl I have shared my heart here, and I only write this so myself and others can hopefully understand the truth about God and share insights. This is a touchy subject here. And i think it hits home for many of us believers, because it seems like the best way to know our creator is only personally, not through others stories or even the bible. And that goes against everything we tell each other everyday. Who wants to read about something in a book when you can experience it directly. Do you want to read about eating food or hear someone else's story about the time they ate food, or would you like to eat some !! This presents a problem, because we are all experiencing it differently and some only the bare minimum to be called to a believer in Jesus, but that is all it takes. Here's some good news in closing !! I guess we all for sure heard the "voice " when we believed Jesus as our personal saviour from sin and death, and decided to follow him so we have technically all heard the "voice in one form or another and have that going for us :)

You raise some excellent issues, time for bed here, I will give this the response it deserves tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You raise some excellent issues, time for bed here, I will give this the response it deserves tomorrow.

Michael Garrett Andrews said:
Carl , that was a wonderful sermon and thank you for sharing. I think every Christian can only relate how Jesus interacts with them personally. And that is different for every believer. If i wasn't a believer i would listen to this man's story and not believe him because i simply cannot experience the "voice of Jesus" in the way he describes. I would say, well, that's just what happened in your life and maybe has nothing to do with God. But then if i'm describing how God works in my life, it may not sound true or make sense to the listener also. Because it's how God interacts with me and not them!!!! And what if i later tell the story and attribute things to God that may not be true? just because i believe, or want it to be true. That's where the lines get blurry. And this man could have easily done that in his story, just to relate John 10 to his personal experience which may or may not be true. I think Sadhguru said it best: "If i tell you a story, even if it's a real story. If you believe me or don't believe me, it gets you no closer to truth Because it is not in your experience. The only true reference to the "voice" of Jesus would be only our personal experience. If we read something in the bible, we might then pick up serpent and drink some poison, just like it says, among other things that we try so desperately to relate to our life but simply aren't a reality for us personally. I pray there is a way for us to draw a hard line on this and put it to bed, almost like a modern day Elijah test, but even then if I made fire come down from heaven, by the Spirit just like Elijah did, there would be many who would still not believe. And may even scare some others are wondering why they can't do it also. Carl I have shared my heart here, and I only write this so myself and others can hopefully understand the truth about God and share insights. This is a touchy subject here. And i think it hits home for many of us believers, because it seems like the best way to know our creator is only personally, not through others stories or even the bible. And that goes against everything we tell each other everyday. Who wants to read about something in a book when you can experience it directly. Do you want to read about eating food or hear someone else's story about the time they ate food, or would you like to eat some !! This presents a problem, because we are all experiencing it differently and some only the bare minimum to be called to a believer in Jesus, but that is all it takes. Here's some good news in closing !! I guess we all for sure heard the "voice " when we believed Jesus as our personal saviour from sin and death, and decided to follow him so we have technically all heard the "voice in one form or another and have that going for us :)

OK after a sleep I respond...

I often appeal to non believers to consider asking God to indwell them through repentance and submission.
The suggestion that having God indwelling and being silent does not line up with so many scriptures.
Hearing the voice of the shepherd should be considered 'normal' for the believer.
The suggestion that we now have the Scripture and He no longer needs to speak is self defeating because without His voice revealing the truth of what we read the Bible is not understandable.
Truth is not just the product of a mental exercise.
So I have concluded that the theology of 'inner silence' is a cover up for a disempowered church. After the initial early Church explosion, the gifts waned, the Church became politicised, human control replaced real apostolic oversight, management replaced unity, what was left was a human institution with low levels of faith.
Without the discernment gifts operating leaders have to resort to legislation - anyone claiming God is speaking to them was considered a heretic.
In recent decades the gifts are being rediscovered and the notion of Him speaking to individuals is being revived. I guess this is necessary as we approach a late hour in the scheme of things and He needs a revived people to effect His purposes.

Upvote 0

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Carl. I agree. The only reason i'm even on christainforums right now is because i want to hear this voice more. But right now God is telling me in my heart that i need to completely stop listening to humans and only focus on direct revelation from God. God has me in a real humble position right now, because i'm low on direct revelation, although i fully believe that is the way to go !! All i can do is Pray, fast and wait. And be as faithful and loving as i can in the meantime.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Carl. I agree. The only reason i'm even on christainforums right now is because i want to hear this voice more. But right now God is telling me in my heart that i need to completely stop listening to humans and only focus on direct revelation from God. God has me in a real humble position right now, because i'm low on direct revelation, although i fully believe that is the way to go !! All i can do is Pray, fast and wait. And be as faithful and loving as i can in the meantime.

OK but to give some context, I spent over five years reading nothing but scripture first to get a solid foundation of His word. I referred to no christian literature during this period.

Upvote 0