✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ok, this one is probably going to get me in trouble on a couple of levels:

After further review, I decided my original post was borderline acceptable here so I redacted.

Sorry, I'll do better next time.

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1) The subject matter may be unacceptable here, although the subject matter runs rampant through the Bible.

2) The snarkiness/humor of my comment doesn’t have the reverence for a highly regarded biblical figure that many here may require.

But I’m going to fire away anyhow. Maybe the responses, considering the subject matter, should be limited to yes or no with little or no elaboration. Here goes:

I’m not big on proverbs or psalms, but as I was skimming through, I came across this proverb authored by Solomon.

Proverbs 5:1 to 5:23

Am I the only one thinking “Pfffft! Big talk from someone who has 600 wives and 300 mistresses.”?

There was snarkiness in your comment? Well, if there was I didn't sense it. ;)

As for the disconnect between Solomon's life and his supposed "Double Portion" of Wisdom, I think your question is a completely legit one. Solomon led a questionable life, spiritually and ethically, and it would be dubious of any of us to ignore this inconsistency and carry on and act as if whatever lessons we can learn about Solomon, ALL of them have to do with him being a 'model' of faith for us to emulate.

So, ask away, Hanging by a Thread! You shouldn't have anything to be ashamed of in bringing this known fact up for discussion. :cool:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There was snarkiness in your comment? Well, if there was I didn't sense it. ;)

As for the disconnect between Solomon's life and his supposed "Double Portion" of Wisdom, I think your questions is a completely legit one. Solomon led a questionable life, spiritually and ethically, and it would be dubious of any of us to ignore this inconsistency and carry on and act if whatever lessons we can learn about Solomon ALL have to do with him being a 'model' of faith for us to emulate.

So, ask away, Hangig by a Thread! You shouldn't have anything to be ashamed of in bringing this known fact up for discussion. :cool:
Heh-heh. Well as you can see, I chickened out (probably wouldn't have had I read your response prior). But your response actually conveys the essence of my post in a much classier manner. And if folks are really curious, they can expand my original which you have pasted. So I'ma leave it as is if you don't mind. If you do mind, just wipe out my post I guess.
Thanks for the response 2PhiloVoid.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1) I recall no teaching in Proverbs that endorses polygamy.
2) Because Solomon had so many wives and concubines over his lifetime, he had zero need to take any of his subjects' wives.
3) Because Solomon had so many wives and concubines, one could consider him an authority on the pitfalls of marrying badly.
4) The Proverbs that Solomon wrote and compiled were meant especially for his son, who would be inheriting his power and privilege. A king -can- take any woman to be his wife, but that doesn't mean he should, at all.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1)
4) The Proverbs that Solomon wrote and compiled were meant especially for his son, who would be inheriting his power and privilege. A king -can- take any woman to be his wife, but that doesn't mean he should, at all.

His son does not appear to have paid enough attention.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most of us would look like Solomon (or worse) if our lives were laid bare in text. Consider your walk with God and all you know. Truths they never lived to see.

Yet you fail. Over and over again. And you have the gospel.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

After further review, I decided my original post was borderline acceptable here so I redacted.

Solomon learned a great deal from his mistakes. Wisdom is wonderful and I seek God for more regularly, especially at this time. However, wisdom without obedience is useless. Solomon lost the plot. He was maybe the first Consultant, charging for his wise advice. However, it brought him into contact with a lot of godless people, especially the ruling class. Some of the marriages were to cement alliances. Some wives he never actually met.

His real sin was being drawn to false gods. Solomon was human and just as fallible as anyone else. He had a blind spot, like everyone else. Read the full story of Solomon's life. The smart person learns from his mistakes. If you are really smart, you will learn from other people's mistakes. Solomon has a lot to teach us.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i think it is obvious that Solomon was a sinner, much of his knowledge about the right way he learned doing it the wrong way. Is our life any different?

i learn every day the value of right over against wrong, especially from my daily sins, shortcomings and mistakes, or should i say disasters?

We need grace that is why i have placed my faith in Jesus Christ and try not to judge, not even myself. i know wrongdoing dies when we die and what is right and proper lives on forever with the Lord. i have full faith in His ability to separate the sheep from the goats in my heart and save me from my sins. Hebrews 4:12-13.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heh-heh. Well as you can see, I chickened out (probably wouldn't have had I read your response prior). But your response actually conveys the essence of my post in a much classier manner. And if folks are really curious, they can expand my original which you have pasted. So I'ma leave it as is if you don't mind. If you do mind, just wipe out my post I guess.
Thanks for the response 2PhiloVoid.

I don't mind.

And here's the beginning point that we all need to consider: Solomon broke the Law of Kings presented in Deuteronomy 17:14-20. He didn't just break one law, one rule. No, he broke at least three, maybe four. With this in mind, and with a comprehensive consideration of all that is said in the Old Testament about King Solomon and possibly by King Solomon (later in his life), we come to understand that his many wives and concubines, his wealth and war power were not only illegitimate in the eyes of God, but also spiritually troublesome for him and for the nation of Israel.

In fact, what we find is that the Old Testament writers end up blaming Solomon for having set Israel on a multi-generational path that eventually placed them into Exile and Captivity in Babylon.

So, let's not think Solomon was some kind of 'hero' of the faith or that God had somehow blessed him with a Hugh Hefner type of lifestyle. NO, nothing could be further from the truth and to think this would be grossly incorrect and faulty!

On the bright side, we can surmise from tradition that Solomon may have repented of his sins towards the last part of his life and that it was from his deep seated reflection upon his failures before the Lord that we get the writings we have which are attributed to him: Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and the Song of Solomon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In fact, what we find is that the Old Testament writers end up blaming Solomon for having set Israel on a multi-generational path that eventually placed them into Exile and Captivity in Babylon.

So, let's not think Solomon was some kind of 'hero' of the faith or that God had somehow blessed him with a Hugh Hefner type of lifestyle. NO, nothing could be further from the truth and to think this would be grossly incorrect and faulty!

The OT points out at least one grave error that every king, including Hezekiah and Josiah, made that put them on the path to the Captivity.

Speaking of Solomon's flaws, even his vaunted great wealth was at the cost of heavy taxation of his people.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The OT points out at least one grave error that every king, including Hezekiah and Josiah, made that put them on the path to the Captivity.

Speaking of Solomon's flaws, even his vaunted great wealth was at the cost of heavy taxation of his people.

Yep, good points to add in here, RDKirk! Thanks for spotting those, too.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am disappointed; I thought this post was about The Wisdom of Solomon, a deuterocanonical book written around 60 BC. Wisdom 2 is amazing because it predicts in great detail the Passion of Christ.

It is included in the King James Version, although sadly most KJVs printed today lack the deuterocanonicals for various doctrinal and economic reasons. But the Church of England, for whose benefit the KJV was produced, regularly reads The Wisdom of Solomon, of Sirach, and other such books, like Tobit.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
ALL of them have to do with him being a 'model' of faith for us to emulate.
This may or may not seem relevant, but when I read this, I wondered and checked Hebrews 11,
and Solomon didn't make mention in the list of men and women of faith.
Time seemed to have failed him.

Hebrews 11:
And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak
and Samson and Jephthah, also David and Samuel and the prophets:

As a very young man, Solomon had the weight of a kingdom placed on his shoulders, and had
the good sense to seek God's help. He also had exact instructions from his father for building a
temple for God, as well as some loose ends to tie up from David's reign. I would summarize
that while he was true to his earthly father's instructions , he lost his way in regard to the
Heavenly Father.
That must be the lesson, that he received wisdom that he applied to his earthly affairs, as the
Ecclesiastes indicates. James 3 teaches that there is a spiritual wisdom from above that makes
us more Christlike, as we are separated from the world for His Purpose.
One True Model of Faith:

"I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
Galatians 2:20
Most modern translations state, 'faith in the Son of God". I believe the KJV is correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If you want good advice about women, I'd say he'd be the one to know. ...

• Haha
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you want good advice about women, I'd say he'd be the one to know. ...
heh-heh. I know, right? Wisdom of Solomon indeed. Dude set himself up with 3 years worth of one-nighters AND managed to be in good favor with God. How does a guy pull that one off? He's an ancestor, gets all that ink in the Bible, and on the occasion when God does get mad at him, God levies the penalty not on Solomon, but on future generation. Not a bad life, I'd say.

Upvote 0