God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yesterday I picked up 'The White Australia Policy' by Keith Windschuttle. It offers the perspective that modern historians have exaggerated without credibility the shamefully racist nature of the immigration policy.

Some background on why I find it interesting: Though I was required to learn about Australian History & Civics (thus the policy) during high school, not much was taught in regard of how we should actually judge and view the policy itself. The lack of encouragement to assess, judge, and evaluate, can somewhat be shifted onto the former New South Wales labor government leader Bob Carr, who in so desiring every student in NSW learn about Australia's role in WW1 at Gallipoli, also limited what we would learn about it unless we took it up at a tertiary level.

When the bill was passed to the Board Of Studies to place a Government written Civics syllabus [extended to cover from WW1 to the late 80] as the marking criteria of the Year 10 School Certificate, this meant every high school state wide had to teach a specific rendition of facts as directed by the Government. By placing the course below Senior High School level, he inadvertently eliminated teaching the content through higher order learning skills (such as evaluation, assessment, judgment), and ensured the course wouldn't be overlapped again at any stage in Senior High School because the BOS has a rule that was has already been covered should not be assessable twice.

I always thought there was something wrong with that picture; even if their motive was earnest in teaching as many students as possible, as opposed to intentionally limiting what we could learn - I came away with what I perceive as a very limited view about a good chunk of Australian history. ;) My current position on the White Australia Policy is that it was harsh, racist and discriminative, and intentionally selective. I hope to put my ideas up against something which says otherwise (Windschuttle's book) and see if I can still stand on that or if I'm forced to revise my position.

What is your current view on the White Australian Policy? What influences your views on Australian History? For the non-Australians, do your education systems (before University level, of course) offer a broad understanding in Civics? Any other opinions, comments etc are welcome. :wave:

Edited 15th February: So far, I hate the book, and everything I've read in it PASSIONATELY!

T

thejesusfish90

In my mind the WAP was a relic of the rampant Xenophobia and fear of 'asian invasion' perpetuated by the politicians of Federation to encourage a national union- unfortunately there are many out there who wish the policy had remained in place, regardless of the countless positive contributions people of different nationalities have made to this nation (Victor Chang anyone?)... Currently I've heard alot about people wanting to set a limit to the percentage of certain nationalities (namely Islamic) allowed into Australia... Personally I don't see the logic in it, as a country of immigrants, who on earth has the right to say what culture is acceptable and unacceptable and how much of each culture should be allowed... obviously Australia needs to set a limit to the overall number of immigrants allowed into the country to make sure we don't overburden our resources, but we shouldn't reach a point where we stop allowing one culture in and continue to allow another culture we deem more 'compatible' or 'acceptable' to our countries identity, whatever that is... honestly sometimes I worry about the direction this country is taking... I feel as though our society was so much more tolerant 7 years ago (prior to 9/11) than it is today...

I can understand why the NSW education system teaches history in its current fashion... they are operating on the premise that History can and should be taught from a neutral standpoint and that students should be free to make up their own value judgements surrounding history- the only judgements and evaluation students are encouraged to form are those which relate to purely historical ideas rather than moral issues- Ie evaluate the significance of the Whitlam Dismissal, or Evaluate the importance of personalities to the move towards federation... I believe though there is a point at which teachers need to disuade students from certain value judgements (Ie judgements which promote racism, bigotry-- the Aboriginal Massacres were justified, Stolen Generation was a good idea, etc), as such attitudes are destructive to the fabric of Australian society as we know it... the fact that there is such a focus on negativity in Australia's early history in the History course, has led heaps of people to criticise the course as left-wing propaganda and too 'black armband' orientated (remember John Howards Comment: "Mao Tse Tung would be happy with the NSW history syllabus")- I think its interesting that the actual break down of the syllabus content itself could be considered moral positioning...

My biggest beef with the Year 9-10 history syllabus was the fact that the course actually went out of its way to disallow any consideration of world history and the place of Australia's history in the wider global context.. not only does it prevent a student from gaining a complete understanding of our own history, but it also promotes an insular mentality and because of the complete lack of historical drama in Australia, makes students think that history is boring...

In Christ,

Chris

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,157.00
Faith
Christian
My current view of the White Australia policy is that it is a relic of a racist past that mostly seems to turn up as references in the media these days.

Certainly it was well and truly was on the way out by the 1950s when the Colombo plan was purposely bringing "non-white" students here to study - some of whom settled here later and became the parents of some friends of mine.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

The Bad Templar

Oct 20, 2004
✟8,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
countless positive contributions people of different nationalities have made to this nation (Victor Chang anyone?)...

Unfortunately Victor Chang isn't making a positive contribution anymore...

He was shot in the head and killed by a pair of chaps by the name of Chiew Seng Liew and Jimmy Tan who had previously tried to extort money from him.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yesterday I picked up 'The White Australia Policy' by Keith Windschuttle. It offers the perspective that modern historians have exaggerated without credibility the shamefully racist nature of the immigration policy.
i don't view windschuttle as a highly credible historian... but that's just my view. :)

Upvote 0

The Bad Templar

Oct 20, 2004
✟8,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i don't view windschuttle as a highly credible historian... but that's just my view. :)

Just because a historian doesn't tell you what you want to hear... does not lessen his credibility.

He has:-

B.A. from Sydney University with first-class honours in history.
M.A. from Macquarie University with first-class honours in history.
He has been a history tutor at the University of NSW and the University of Technology Sydney.
He is widely-published and a member of the ABC Board.

Isn't it terrible that people are still allowed to publish alternative opinions on Aborigines and Multiculturalism.

Upvote 0