Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible makes it clear how to test yourself, and I would like to thank Todd Friel of Way of the Master (No, I don't know him personally) for pointing this out.
1 John

Chapter 1

7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Chapter 2

3And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

15Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

23Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

Chapter 3

2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

14We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Chapter 4

6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

15Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

Now, just so you know, I am not perfect. Infact, it worries me to see these things, for I am 5-5. In other words, it looks like luke warm for me, when I am TRUE with myself. I say we all agree to commite to ourselves, one to another to move it to 10-0. Let's start living like Christians.

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
While it's good to make sure you are doing those things, always remember that it is not you, but God who will be the final judge.

I Cor. 4:3b but neither do I judge my own self. 4 For I am not conscious to myself of any thing, yet am I not hereby justified; but he that judgeth me, is the Lord.

Upvote 0
C

Ceridwen

Your sins. And eternal justice for breaking his law.
The Hebrew word `awon means both iniquity and punishment. A due consideration of this thought goes a long way toward meeting many of the objections brought against the doctrine of future punishment.

Hebrew does not distinguish between human evil and God's retribution of evil for human evil. This is partly which Christianity makes no distinction either.

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Hebrew word `awon means both iniquity and punishment. A due consideration of this thought goes a long way toward meeting many of the objections brought against the doctrine of future punishment.

Hebrew does not distinguish between human evil and God's retribution of evil for human evil. This is partly which Christianity makes no distinction either.
Not sure I caught all of that, but ok. ;)

It looks to me like iniquity and punishment are so closely related, they use the same word. Interesting. I guess the question of God punishing iniquity can't really be challenged when presented with such a statement.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

The combination of faith and water baptism is the greatest assurance of salvation (Mark 16:16).

Baptism is the visible sign that performs what it signifies- signing our salvation in the washing of water with the word (Eph 5), and accomplishing that salvation objectively.

Baptism forgives our sins and gifts us with the Spirit (Acts 2:38)
Baptism performs the circumcision of the heart (Col 2:11-12)
Baptism covers us in Christ (Gal 3:27)
Baptism unites us to Christ in his death and resurrection (Rom 6:4)
Baptism saves us (1 Pet 3:20-21)

It both signifies and doubly accomplishes what justification by faith first does in our hearts, so that all may know that we are true and authentic members of the covenant community of God, the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisBelovedMelody

Jan 3, 2006
✟10,896.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
That verse is talking about people who "think" in their own way they are serving God and aren't. It has nothing to do with Him casting ones away that are truly walking and serving God. Not hard to distinguish between the 2. If you are in the flesh thinking you are doing 'good works' for God and aren't...that is what that verse means. NOT how you guys imply it

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But this group has cast out demons. How can they have done that if they weren't really christians?:scratch:
See the parables of the wheat and the taurs. The foolish Virgins. The bad and good fish. The converted, and the false converstions. The true, and false believers. Those that think they are saved, but Jesus never knew them.

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If they only think they are saved, they cannot cast out demons. Theres a verse where people try, and it didn't work.
We are not going to know everything, but I know what the Bible says. It explains clearly that there will be false converts running around, communing with real Christians. It also says that they will get to heaven, thinking they are saved, when in reality, they are not. Not all of them are running around casting out demons however, we know this for a fact. How many people do you know that cast out demons?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OptimisticSmile

Mar 26, 2006
Pensacola, Florida
Visit site
✟15,552.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
on casting out demons keep in mind that in Jesus day there were some (Jewish exorcists) who were claiming to cast out demons and this was through rituals and encantations and such. Demons are smart they know the authority that christians have over them because they know the bible and they can play a role in false deliverence/miracles. We see this various tribes and cultures that practice exorcisms. if it appears that a demon has been cast out that does not necessarily mean one was or that the person claiming to have cast it out really was a christian. keep in mind the Demon may actually be in control of the situation.

I can think of several denominations that practice exorcisms in a ritualistic way rather than emphasising Christs blood and Salvation . Others claim to cast out demons from christians and thus deliver them from a demon of insert name of certain sin and that does not appear to be biblical .

Some view christians as not being able to cast out demons in the same manner as Christ and the Apostles because that was a special ability given to the apostles as a sign accompanying new revelation of God's word which is no longer needed for that purpose today given we have the bible and the acounts of Christs authority over demons.

Some people get a real ego boost by claiming to cast out demons. I think those are the ones that passage is talking about and they probly sincerely believe that they have cast out demons.

by the way I do believe demons are cast out today

Upvote 0

GLJCA

Jan 2, 2005
Louisiana
✟1,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Saved from what?
Saved from God, Himself. God's wrath is against all ungodliness and unrighteousness, therefore when one is saved, that is what he is saved from. Our sins only hurt us because they are ungodly and unrighteous and bring the wrath of God upon us.

GLJCA

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.