There's something about Jesus - in the old testament.

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, you have unearthed an opinion held by a cardinal. Is that important?
Good Day,

Yes..

You can not both be correct either your option is correct, or His is.

So from an historical prospective and given his official role within your denomination, I will give His view significantly more weight over yours in this matter. The fact that they are published in His work and were never called into question at the time, nor was he corrected really says it all.

In Him

Bill

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You can not both be correct either your option is correct, or His is.
Or the Pope is correct. And when it is the pope who speaks Catholics listen. The canon is settled, Saint Jerome's opinions and those of Cardinal Cajetan not withstanding.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or the Pope is correct. And when it is the pope who speaks Catholics listen. The canon is settled, Saint Jerome's opinions and those of Cardinal Cajetan not withstanding.
Good Day,

So as a member of the Roman Catholic denomination under the authority the Pope.

We do know that the commentaries were dedicated to Pope Leo the X th, and surely you recognize that name.

I would like to have the Primary Historical "speak" from Leo the Xth on the issue or if he refused the dedication in "speak" because of the suppose error (you assert without basis) that will work.

You Roman Catholics can have your Pope I am fine with it and go along to get along, but count me out.

I am remined of the warnings of:

Huggucio- Teacher of Innocent III.

“if the pope is a heretic he would harm not only himself but the whole world, especially because simpletons and idiots would easily follow the heresy since they would believe it was not a heresy….” [Summa ad Dist. 40 c.6, MS 72 of Pembroke College, Cambridge, fol 147va: “si papa esset hereticus non sibi soli noceret sed toto mundo, presertim quia simplices et idiote facile sequerentur illam heresim cum credent non esse heresim….” my translation from Brian Tierney, “Ockham, the Conciliar Theory, and the Canonists”, Journal of the History of Ideas, XV (1954), pg. 50, fn. 35]

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would like to have the Primary Historical "speak" from Leo the Xth on the issue or if he refused the dedication in "speak" because of the suppose error (you assert without basis) that will work.
"Pope Leo X (Italian: Leone X; born Giovanni di Lorenzo de' Medici, 11 December 1475 – 1 December 1521) was head of the Catholic Church and ruler of the Papal States from 9 March 1513 to his death in December 1521.[1]"

Saint Jerome wrote in the 5th century. Leo X was 1,000 after Saint Jerome.

Upvote 0