keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes you're lucky and you get in the saner parts of town where people seem a little more mellow. It's a matter of going a little too far one way and stepping into the scary parts. Some places do not even have sane parts, though (see: Vidor).

The weather definitely does not help, though. But don't worry, if you don't like it just wait twenty minutes :muahah:

Yea, I worked for Schlumberger out of Corpus. Just about the first thing my training engineer told me was if the good old boys on my crew asked where my jacket was and I did not have one with me it was time to head home and get one, no matter how nice things looked.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Despite the overtly Christian name Corpus Christi seemed sane when I was there 40 years ago. So were most of the places I traveled, though I pretty much only traveled to Rugby matches so that had a huge impact on who I met. The insanity there was playing a match in a cold driving rain when the spectators spent more time making sure the creek did not overflow and trap us all than watching the game. Come to think of it 2 weeks later I was playing in 105 degree sunshine!

Could it be the weather swings drive them all insane?
All I can say is that the weather here is known as bi-polar.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
First the Starbucks cups, and now this? First world problems... :sigh:
Yes, but let some trivial matter in the world of Political Incorrectness pop up and the same people who are acting like these things are nothing put on their armour and go to forth to do battle. It's interesting how inconsistent people can be.

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but let some trivial matter in the world of Political Incorrectness pop up and the same people who are acting like these things are nothing put on their armour and go to forth to do battle. It's interesting how inconsistent people can be.
I can tell you that the good ol' folks there in Orange would heartily agree with you on the matter of political correctness. However, don't you find it a bit ironic that they are so up in arms over a TWO WORD phrase that they would take this action?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can tell you that the good ol' folks there in Orange would heartily agree with you on the matter of political correctness. However, don't you find it a bit ironic that they are so up in arms over a TWO WORD phrase that they would take this action?
Well, "they're rapists" was two words, and look at how much mock outrage and name-calling came in response to that simple statement of fact.

In answer to your question about responses, though, I wouldn't say what Sid Miller did, although I think it was supposed to be a joke. Liberals have no sense of humor, and Mr. Miller should have known that.

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Well, "they're rapists" was two words, and look at how much mock outrage and name-calling came in response to that simple statement of fact.

In answer to your question about responses, though, I wouldn't say what Sid Miller did, although I think it was supposed to be a joke. Liberals have no sense of humor, and Mr. Miller should have known that.
No sense of humor? Get real man! I just laughed by head off at your comment! ^_^

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No sense of humor? Get real man! I just laughed by head off at your comment! ^_^
Ever notice how, when backed into a corner by their own ridiculousness, people will suddenly start claiming their behaviour that, until that point had been conducted with all apparent sincerity, is "just a joke"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ever notice how, when backed into a corner by their own ridiculousness, people will suddenly start claiming their behaviour that, until that point had been conducted with all apparent sincerity, is "just a joke"?
Yes, I have. That doesn't seem at all to be the case with Sid Miller if I'm correct that we're supposed to be responding to a simple comment online given in reply to a news item.

MAYBE if he were the governor and said something like this in a press conference or something like that....

Failing that, what I see in this is a lot of trying to make something out of nothing. He didn't even write that he WOULD do this (slap).

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think this is a good video for those non-believers that are offended by christmas.

And then there are the Christians who hate it for being too contaminated.

"There are people on this planet who do not love there fellow man....
... and I hate people like that." Tom Lehrer.

Where I live it's more or less a commercial exploitation of family traditions based on a Victorian reinvention of a Christian overlay on a pagan midwinter festival. You takes your pick and don't rain on anyone else's parade, I think.

But since I'm not Christian or Pagan, am not into conspicuous consumption and have no family to visit or to visit me,
well, I miss being the target audience pretty much across the board.

Merry Christmas to every one who wants one, and Bah! Humbug! to the rest.

Chris.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And then there are the Christians who hate it for being too contaminated.

"There are people on this planet who do not love there fellow man....
... and I hate people like that." Tom Lehrer.

Where I live it's more or less a commercial exploitation of family traditions based on a Victorian reinvention of a Christian overlay on a pagan midwinter festival. You takes your pick and don't rain on anyone else's parade, I think.

But since I'm not Christian or Pagan, am not into conspicuous consumption and have no family to visit or to visit me,
well, I miss being the target audience pretty much across the board.

Merry Christmas to every one who wants one, and Bah! Humbug! to the rest.

Chris.

Christmas is how Constantine mollified the good Roman pagan majority that was mortified when he legalized a religion that had been vilified for centuries by other emperors as atheistic, unpatriotic traitors to the empire. Even an emperor could get assassinated if he outraged the people's morality severely enough. But with a Christian festival coinciding with an important pagan holy day period, Constantine could say, "See, they're not so different from us after all!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Blind post:

Anyone who says H@ppy Holid@ys should have their thumbs cut off.

every idiot who goes about with ‘Merry Christmas’ on his lips, should be boiled with his
own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But with a Christian festival coinciding with an important pagan holy day period, Constantine could say, "See, they're not so different from us after all!"
...or, as historians would tell you, Constantine could say, "Take that, pagans. We've trumped your holiday!"

Upvote 0