Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you a Happy Holidays kind of person or a Merry Christmas person? If you are former, phooey on you. If you are the later, keep up the good work!

For a number of years now the far Left has been attacking Christmas. And they are still at it.

Catholic Stand has published a number of articles over the years about the Left’s attempt to secularize Christmas (here, here, and here, for instance). I suspect the Left has also been trying to formulate a plan to de-Christianize Easter. So far, however, praise the Lord, they haven’t been able to come up with anything that works.

The attack on Christmas started in the 1980s. Atheists and Satanists tried to have Nativity scenes (creches) banned from government (i.e., public) property. The tactic was only partially successful. They did succeed in getting the Christmas Season to be referred to as the ‘Holiday Season.’

But they lost the bigger battle. Nativity scenes are allowed (Lynch v. Donnelly, 1984) on government property as long as they are part of a display erected to “celebrate the Holiday recognized by Congress and national tradition and to depict the origins of that Holiday.”

But the left takes its victories where they can. So, now we hear a lot of “Happy Holidays” during the Advent and Christmas Seasons. “Merry Christmas” – the greeting that acknowledges the real reason for the season – is slowly fading away.

Capitulating to the Left

Continued below.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally, I always say "Merry Christmas" but I have no issue with people saying "Happy Holidays". "Happy Holidays" comes in as a close second to me in terms of favor. I am not a big fan of the "Season's Greetings" greeting though because it's too secular, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg (hālig "holy" + dæg "day"). The word originally referred only to special religious days. The word holiday has differing connotations in different regions.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg (hālig "holy" + dæg "day"). The word originally referred only to special religious days. The word holiday has differing connotations in different regions.

Yep. That's why I like it. :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Holidays = Holy Days.
New Years is a Holy Day.

I say either. Because both are correct.
But I actually love hearing Merry Christmas.

Thanks Michie for the article.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Merry Christmas. I just sent a bunch of Christ centered Christmas cards to my atheist relatives. Here's hoping it sparks something in them to ponder the Truth.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Personally, I always say "Merry Christmas" but I have no issue with people saying "Happy Holidays". "Happy Holidays" comes in as a close second to me in terms of favor. I am not a big fan of the "Season's Greetings" greeting though because it's too secular, in my opinion.
Amen.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you a Happy Holidays kind of person or a Merry Christmas person? If you are former, phooey on you. If you are the later, keep up the good work!

For a number of years now the far Left has been attacking Christmas. And they are still at it.

Catholic Stand has published a number of articles over the years about the Left’s attempt to secularize Christmas (here, here, and here, for instance). I suspect the Left has also been trying to formulate a plan to de-Christianize Easter. So far, however, praise the Lord, they haven’t been able to come up with anything that works.

The attack on Christmas started in the 1980s. Atheists and Satanists tried to have Nativity scenes (creches) banned from government (i.e., public) property. The tactic was only partially successful. They did succeed in getting the Christmas Season to be referred to as the ‘Holiday Season.’

But they lost the bigger battle. Nativity scenes are allowed (Lynch v. Donnelly, 1984) on government property as long as they are part of a display erected to “celebrate the Holiday recognized by Congress and national tradition and to depict the origins of that Holiday.”

But the left takes its victories where they can. So, now we hear a lot of “Happy Holidays” during the Advent and Christmas Seasons. “Merry Christmas” – the greeting that acknowledges the real reason for the season – is slowly fading away.

Capitulating to the Left

Continued below.
I say Merry Christmas but this year, after reading a number of books set in England as well as watching movies set there, I find myself starting to say Happy Christmas.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I say Merry Christmas but this year, after reading a number of books set in England as well as watching movies set there, I find myself starting to say Happy Christmas.
Happy Christmas sounds much more elegant ;)

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I usually say "Have a wonderful Christmas". l don't think "Happy Holidays" really means much, it's just something of habit for people to say and I'm not sure they intend it as anything more than a greeting. Much like "Hi, how are you?" And I think "Merry Christmas" has gone much the same route, though it's the better of the two.

Merry Christmas. I just sent a bunch of Christ centered Christmas cards to my atheist relatives. Here's hoping it sparks something in them to ponder the Truth.

Great idea and good luck with that! I've really had to go to lengths over the past few years to find Christian themed cards. Most places have loads of Happy Holidays and humorous cards, but finding something true to the season and especially with a Bible verse included has become difficult. I did locate some for next year at an after Christmas sale, though, but had to dig for them.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I usually say "Have a wonderful Christmas". l don't think "Happy Holidays" really means much, it's just something of habit for people to say and I'm not sure they intend it as anything more than a greeting. Much like "Hi, how are you?" And I think "Merry Christmas" has gone much the same route, though it's the better of the two.

Great idea and good luck with that! I've really had to go to lengths over the past few years to find Christian themed cards. Most places have loads of Happy Holidays and humorous cards, but finding something true to the season and especially with a Bible verse included has become difficult. I did locate some for next year at an after Christmas sale, though, but had to dig for them.
You can usually get Christ based cards at EWTN's website. So far no one has complained about their card, so here's hoping they're moved to at least show an interest in Christ.

Upvote 0