• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The War on 'Happy Holidays' Intensifies

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by essentialsaltes, Dec 17, 2015.

1. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+9,542
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller may be taking the so-called “war on Christmas” a little too literally.

In a Facebook post on Wednesday, the Republican official said that he would “slap” anyone who wished him “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas.”

“If one more person says Happy Holidays to me I just might slap them. Either tell me Merry Christmas or just don’t say anything,” Miller wrote.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. seashale76

seashale76 Orthodox Christian and Unapologetic Iconodule

+3,989
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    This is so dumb. Why do people honestly care one way or the other? Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas, someone is simply wishing you well. People need to get over it and quit the faux rage.

3. JGG

JGG Well-Known Member

+2,041
    Seeker
    Private
  4. Shempster

Shempster ImJustMe Supporter

+770
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I would not get too up in arms about it all.
    After all, Dec 25th is only just the birthday of Nimrod.

5. RayJeena

RayJeena Humble and proud of it. Supporter

+3,241
    United States
    Unorthodox
    Single
    Judging from the comments under his FB post,
    people are putting him in his place.
    "Slap", indeed.

_

6. Stanfordella

Stanfordella #FridaysForFuture Supporter

+7,707
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    What a Scrooge.

7. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+2,550
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Weird. I would be so cheered on my face book, by Right wings and a few libs would complain. Maybe a crazy war between the two would happen. It makes me want to say Happy Holidays to start trouble.

8. KitKatMatt

KitKatMatt stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    Texas needs to stop and let some other state take up the crazy for a while.

Our officials need to start worrying about more pressing issues, rather than the horrifying idea that someone might not greet them about their particular religious celebrations.

9. s_gunter

s_gunter Contributor Supporter

+940
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    First the Starbucks cups, and now this? First world problems... :sigh:

10. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,050
    Humanist
    Private
    Is Miller from Orange?

11. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,562
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    This guy may need a vacation.

12. ToddNotTodd

ToddNotTodd Iconoclast

+2,334
    Seeker
    Married
    If I had a ton of money, I'd hire a children's choir to follow him around singing the phrase "happy holidays" over and over.

13. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,050
    Humanist
    Private
    He'd probably take it in the city of Orange.

14. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,331
    Atheist
    Single
    Anyone willing to chip in for my airfare?

I'll wish him happy holidays. I have not yet decided if I'll turn the other cheek and make a comment about the instructions of Christ or take his head off.

Whoever contributes the most has the most pull over which way I go.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  15. craigerNY

craigerNY I bring nothing to the table

+355
    Agnostic
    Single
    Happy Hanukkah Sid Miller.

16. Cearbhall

Cearbhall Well-Known Member

+5,658
    United States
    Other Religion
    Single
    Anti-semitic much? Is this sort of sentiment en vogue again?

17. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,978
    Christian
    Married
    Sounds mighty Christian of him.

I missed doing any bellringing for Salvation Army this year. I've done it regularly for the last 15 years. It would have been pretty nice down here in Dallas...I'd been in Illinois before.

For several years, when the Hindu Diwali coincided with the Christmas season, I'd greet Indians passing the bucket with "Happy Diwali!" But then I realized that I was already acquainted with several Christian Indians, so it was clearly presumptuous for me to think just because they were Indian, they were necessarily Hindu. The same went for saying "Feliz Navidad" to people who appeared Latino.

Thereafter, I just said "Merry Christmas" to everyone...nobody seemed to mind.

18. KitKatMatt

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    I have no idea, unfortunately.

However, I've seen this same attitude flare up in all sorts of places in Texas. The last one I think is around Houston, where there was a "We are politically incorrect" sign put up by government officials that is now being contested in terms of legality.

The whole state is nuts.

19. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,331
    Atheist
    Single
    Despite the overtly Christian name Corpus Christi seemed sane when I was there 40 years ago. So were most of the places I traveled, though I pretty much only traveled to Rugby matches so that had a huge impact on who I met. The insanity there was playing a match in a cold driving rain when the spectators spent more time making sure the creek did not overflow and trap us all than watching the game. Come to think of it 2 weeks later I was playing in 105 degree sunshine!

Could it be the weather swings drive them all insane?

20. KitKatMatt

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    Sometimes you're lucky and you get in the saner parts of town where people seem a little more mellow. It's a matter of going a little too far one way and stepping into the scary parts. Some places do not even have sane parts, though (see: Vidor).

The weather definitely does not help, though. But don't worry, if you don't like it just wait twenty minutes :muahah: