The War in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you Chipa?
Chipahualca is a user who pretty much posts on one issue: The US, Israel, and Middle Eastern affairs. He denies it, but I'm pretty sure he's a muslim, probably living in Iran, as he can cite Al Jazeera without batting an eyelash. I'd hate to stereotype him like that, but it takes a pretty brainwashed individual to cite Al Jazeera as unbiased truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wouldnt the government killing its own people qualify as an attack?
Maybe.

Better questions: How does a government killing its own people impinge upon the ethics of attacking another country? Is a government killing its own people sufficient reason for an external entity to attack said government?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe.

Better questions: How does a government killing its own people impinge upon the ethics of attacking another country? Is a government killing its own people sufficient reason for an external entity to attack said government?

I'm honestly unsure. It's not the U.S.'s job to police the world, hell, they can't even adequately police their own. Although I know there are monetary interests there, which I'm sure is the real reason we went there in the first place...

Upvote 0

PantsMcFist

Trying to get his head back under the clouds
Aug 16, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
✟16,177.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
No.

I'm a just war theorist. I believe that Afghanistan is justified war, and that good is coming from it, despite the many regrettable mistakes made. The war in Iraq could have been justifiable, but was carried out incorrectly, and that the damage done now, is greater than the good that will come out of it.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm honestly unsure. It's not the U.S.'s job to police the world, hell, they can't even adequately police their own. Although I know there are monetary interests there, which I'm sure is the real reason we went there in the first place...
Probably but perhaps not the whole story. Bush I portrayed Saddam as his nemesis. I wouldn't put it past Bush II to follow in his father's footsteps and make the matter somewhat personal.

Upvote 0

PantsMcFist

Aug 16, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
✟16,177.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Maybe.

That's tricky. Clearly, most Western nations believe that killing one's own citizens falls within the right of a sovereign nation, or there would be more action against places like China, Sudan, and a myriad of others.

The answer to your question should be yes, but history has proven that there needs to be additional political motivation as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No. It is only ethical to kill when being attacked. Iraq was not attacking anyone, ergo, unethical. Any levels of complexity I might be missing here?

What if someone is attacking an innocent person?

Do we have the right to try to save their life?

What if we have reasonable belief that our neighbor is going to plan an attack on us and we live in a society which has no such thing as a police force...

And our neighbor is a crazy jerk who tried to massacre someone 10 years ago. The only reason we did not kill them then was because others begged us not to...

And what if our neighbor actively game money to Palestinians who blew themselves up, killing Americans in Israel?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Probably but perhaps not the whole story. Bush I portrayed Saddam as his nemesis. I wouldn't put it past Bush II to follow in his father's footsteps and make the matter somewhat personal.

I suppose that if 1/2 of the story were about monetary interests, the other 1/2 would surely be over a personal vendetta. Either way, if this is actually the case, it's deplorable.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's tricky. Clearly, most Western nations believe that killing one's own citizens falls within the right of a sovereign nation, or there would be more action against places like China, Sudan, and a myriad of others.
A government killing its own cannot therefore be a necessary reason to attack another country. If it is, however, a sufficient reason - if it alone justifies (but does not require) attack - then we are obliged to determine when to apply it and when not.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What if someone is attacking an innocent person?

Do we have the right to try to save their life?

What if we have reasonable belief that our neighbor is going to plan an attack on us and we live in a society which has no such thing as a police force...

And our neighbor is a crazy jerk who tried to massacre someone 10 years ago. The only reason we did not kill them then was because others begged us not to...

And what if our neighbor actively game money to Palestinians who blew themselves up, killing Americans in Israel?
Let's not distract ourselves with these questions, okay?

Upvote 0

PantsMcFist

Aug 16, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
✟16,177.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A government killing its own cannot therefore be a necessary reason to attack another country. If it is, however, a sufficient reason - if it alone justifies (but does not require) attack - then we are obliged to determine when to apply it and when not.

Ideally, I believe it is a necessary reason. I see war in terms of justice and charity. In a case like this, the US COULD (but did not) act with charity to the civilians in Iraq by attacking in a way which caused as little collateral damage to civilian infrastructure as possible, and justice towards the Iraqi gov't, in ending a tyrannical despot's reign. At the same time, it would have to act charitably to the same gov't in conquering or beating it, not outright massacring everyone in the field of battle because they can, while treating captured or injured soldiers/insurgents justly, by providing medical aid and adequate (read non-torturous) living conditions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.