The Unforgivable Sin

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I am unsure if this is the appropriate forum to post this, but it seems to me to be as good as any.
Since "finding Christianity" in 1985, I've been acquainted with the doctrine of the "unforgivable sin", 'though opinions differ throughout denominations and individuals as to what it actually is. Questions arise, such as "What is it?"; "Who can commit it?"; "Who has committed it?"; "Who, if anyone, can longer commit it?".
To me, from Jesus' words, it seems to be attributing a demonic or negative source to a Godly act.
I'd be interested in hearing anyone's (backed up by evidence/ reasons) beliefs/ views on this matter.

If you are concerned that you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit, that is proof you haven't!

Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord can and will be saved. The person who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will never call on the Lord, they have openly rejected the Holy Spirit by insult, dooming themselves forever.

There is a good example of this in Matt. 12. Jesus just performed a miracle and the Pharisees said that He performed this miracle by the power of Satan. These Pharisees doomed themselves by insulting the power of the Holy Spirit. They professed they knew God but didn't, this is the character trait of all who commit the unforgivable sin.

There is a spiritual line, so to speak, that only God knows when one crosses into blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. They will never desire to come to the Lord.

Don't worry, you haven't. The ones who do will never be concerned or even care.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am unsure if this is the appropriate forum to post this, but it seems to me to be as good as any.
Since "finding Christianity" in 1985, I've been acquainted with the doctrine of the "unforgivable sin", 'though opinions differ throughout denominations and individuals as to what it actually is. Questions arise, such as "What is it?"; "Who can commit it?"; "Who has committed it?"; "Who, if anyone, can longer commit it?".
To me, from Jesus' words, it seems to be attributing a demonic or negative source to a Godly act.
I'd be interested in hearing anyone's (backed up by evidence/ reasons) beliefs/ views on this matter.

I agree. Given the context, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit seems to occur when one considers the good to be evil and (presumably) the evil to be good. It is, after all, the Holy Spirit who communicates the truth to us. So, if the Spirit says it is good, and yet we consider it evil, then we are calling the Spirit a liar. My question is, "Who has not mistaken that which is good to be evil?" Haven't we all made this error in at least one judgment during our time in this world? Hmm. Maybe the "unforgivable sin" is when this error in judgment occurs specifically in relation to the Spirit's communication of the truth of Christ. I'm not sure.

Upvote 0