Berlin
✟10,652.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is the orthodox view on God's state prior to the creation of the universe? Are there any early theologians considered to be authoritative that have dealt with this topic? The main questions i'm looking to get an answer on is whether God has always had a plan to create the universe, and whether God has always known what was going to come to pass within that universe.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The main questions i'm looking to get an answer on is whether God has always had a plan to create the universe, and whether God has always known what was going to come to pass within that universe.

yes and yes. He also knows what potentially could have happened but didn’t.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What is the orthodox view on God's state prior to the creation of the universe? Are there any early theologians considered to be authoritative that have dealt with this topic? The main questions i'm looking to get an answer on is whether God has always had a plan to create the universe, and whether God has always known what was going to come to pass within that universe.

I don't know that you're going to find a direct answer to your question. It is considered a mystery. A mystery is something not yet revealed. Paul refers to "the mystery of Christ", see Romans 16:25. The mystery of Christ was secret until it was revealed. What God was doing prior to creation is one of those mysteries.

Upvote 0

Kameaux

May 11, 2021
Berlin
✟10,652.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
yes and yes. He also knows what potentially could have happened but didn’t.

Are there any early theologians that i could turn to for an depth-explanation? I know Origen wrote about it in some editions of his ''On First Principles'', but since he is considered to approach heresy a lot of the times i'm wary of using his arguments in favor of positions relating to predetermination.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are there any early theologians that i could turn to for an depth-explanation? I know Origen wrote about it in some editions of his ''On First Principles'', but since he is considered to approach heresy a lot of the times i'm wary of using his arguments in favor of positions relating to predetermination.

look to St Maximos to start I would say, as he really fleshed out God’s will.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The main questions i'm looking to get an answer on is whether God has always had a plan to create the universe, and whether God has always known what was going to come to pass within that universe.
You're not going to be able to overcome your total inability to comprehend a being who exists entirely outside of time. It's not even possible for us to phrase the question properly. But within the limitations of our understanding, the answers are "yes" and "yes".

Upvote 0