Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 3:12, Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech.

John 5:18, Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

I will leave it up to the reader to decide. It would have been easy for John to have written, "...because he not only had broken the sabbath in their eyes..." but he did not write that. In the Holy Spirit-inspired word of God John testified that Jesus broke the sabbath.

Did He therefore sin? Scripture (2 Corinthians 5:21, Hebrews 4:15, 1 Peter 2:22, and 1 John 3:5) would tell us otherwise. Hebrews 7:12 has the answer. Jesus being High Priest according to the order of Melchizedec, was not subject to the law as it was given under the Levitical priesthood. His ministry was according to the power of an endless life; and was not based on the letter of the law but the spirit of it (Romans 7:6).

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
They (not Calvary Chapel) were not lying to me when they told me that wearing tzitzit is a requirement of the Old Testament law.

And it suddenly hit me (in the last few minutes) that Jesus could not have worn tzitzit while dying on the Cross.

Therefore how could He have kept the letter perfectly?

It was the Spirit of the law that Jesus came to exemplify, as testified to by His statement that on two commandments (to love) hang all the law and the prophets. Since Jesus is love, and loved all men perfectly, He fulfilled the law.

But by true logic and reasoning I cannot escape that no one ever kept the letter of the law. For Jesus was naked (or practically naked) on the Cross. Therefore He could not have been wearing tzitzit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
According to the order of Melchizedek, not Levi (Hebrews 7:12 and context); for John testifies under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that Jesus broke the sabbath in John 5:18. And He Himself was naked on the Cross (or practically naked).

um, no, He never broke the Sabbath. THEY said He did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Galatians 3:10, For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: For it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things that are written in the book of the law to do them.

My exposition: As many as are the works of the law = all those who have not put their trust in Christ and received His forgiveness through the blood of His Cross. All such people are only seeking to enter in through the only other way possible: through their own righteousness/works/law-keeping.

All these are under the curse, and are cursed because they do not keep every letter, they do not continue in every thing that is written in the book of the law to do every thing that is written in the book of the law; and the scripture proclaims a curse on every one who does not continue in every letter of the law, keeping it perfectly from the moment they are conceived to the day they die and beyond into eternity.

If anyone puts their trust in Christ, this is not true of them, for they are not of the works of the law. Therefore they are forgiven of their imperfections and failure to keep the law perfectly all their lives.

James 2:10, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

My exposition: If I were to do an exemplary job of keeping the law perfectly all of my life, but in the last moment of my life I forgot to wear titzit on my hospital gown, I am guilty of breaking the whole law of God.

Matthew 5:48, Be ye therefore perfect, as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

My exposition: God requires perfection if you are going to enter in on the basis of your own righteousness/works/law-keeping.

When you say "enter in", what do you mean?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
They (not Calvary Chapel) were not lying to me when they told me that wearing tzitzit is a requirement of the Old Testament law.

And it suddenly hit me (in the last few minutes) that Jesus could not have worn tzitzit while dying on the Cross.

Therefore how could He have kept the letter perfectly?

It was the Spirit of the law that Jesus came to exemplify, as testified to by His statement that on two commandments (to love) hang all the law and the prophets. Since Jesus is love, and loved all men perfectly, He fulfilled the law.

But by true logic and reasoning I cannot escape that no one ever kept the letter of the law. For Jesus was naked (or practically naked) on the Cross. Therefore He could not have been wearing tzitzit.

That was not of His own volition so your point is moot

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Correct.
Remember as you have seen before, some religious systems used by some cultic churches require believing a certain way that is not in line with God's Way. Breaking free of the support system can be quite devastating and embarrassing for anyone/ everyone involved. Willingness to turn to Jesus Himself is , of course, required (as He said over Jerusalem, but they "would not") ....
Actually, I did not learn this from Calvary Chapel, but in my dealings with the Jehovah's Witnesses (in trying to convert them. For they pointed out that if Jesus didn't break the sabbath in John 5:18, then He also wasn't claiming to be equal with God. But we know that it is essential doctrine that Jesus is God (John 8:24).

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
That was not of His own volition so your point is moot
The letter was still broken. And my point was that Jesus was still exemplary concerning the spirit of the law. So then I think we are in agreement.

Upvote 0