WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Our culture has dramatically changed over the past 70 years and our values have dramatically changed. We’ve gone from believing in common and objective truths and morals to being more persuaded by relativistic ones, as in what’s right for you isn’t necessarily right for me.

We’ve gone from holding up individuals who represent nobility and virtue to being obsessed with people who are merely nice to look at but vapid in every other way. This shift has occurred, coincidentally, right along side the rise and dramatic spread of media built upon advertising.

For generations they’ve used their messaging to convince us to let go of the ideals that make it harder to sell us stuff we don’t need. And in place, they’ve been convincing us to adopt a value system that is obsessed with being fashionable and cool.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is all for the money.

Advertising is ALL about money. Media and advertising shares the same bed.

The more # of people attracted to a certain concept, the more that concept makes money.

People greedy for money would rather spread lies and silliness than truth, if lies and folly will sell more. So there's your media and advertising.

The love of money is the root of all evil. Jesus said, if you love money, you will hate God, you cannot serve two masters.

There's your answer.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might have missed the point, this video is not mainly about greed, but how the erosion of traditional values is harming people.

Something that starts and stops with us. And yes, they will do it to us if we let them, but if we value our relation with God,and our future, we won't let them.

I think this type thing has been going on in one form or another since Satan convinced eve of what should be important.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You might have missed the point, this video is not mainly about greed, but how the erosion of traditional values is harming people.

I'm just pointing out the driving force behind all these. Money

The traditional values is closer to Christian values and the closer you are to the Truth or God or the Christian values, the harder it would be to sell stuff.

The closer you are to the Truth or God, the more you will dislike money (it's nature) and worldly wealth / things.

You cannot serve two masters.

If you wish to solve this problem, you'll have to ask the society to re-evaluate its priorities whether teaching people what is truly important can come first than making money.

Which is unfeasible / unrealizeable at the current state. Should everyone begin living modestly, healthy, stop eating unhealthy foods, forgo of luxuries, save money (instead of upgrading stuff every year) etc - as a follower of Christ would, our economy would collapse.

Thank God for people who disregard Christ's teachings and follow their greed for they help generate lots of money and jobs??

Ironically, that's how our world works for it lies in the evil one - 1 John 5:19.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our culture has dramatically changed over the past 70 years and our values have dramatically changed. We’ve gone from believing in common and objective truths and morals to being more persuaded by relativistic ones, as in what’s right for you isn’t necessarily right for me.

We’ve gone from holding up individuals who represent nobility and virtue to being obsessed with people who are merely nice to look at but vapid in every other way. This shift has occurred, coincidentally, right along side the rise and dramatic spread of media built upon advertising.

For generations they’ve used their messaging to convince us to let go of the ideals that make it harder to sell us stuff we don’t need. And in place, they’ve been convincing us to adopt a value system that is obsessed with being fashionable and cool.

As a 72 year old, I can relate to a lot of what was said in your video. I can tell you with absolute certainty that your values change with age. Unlike in my youth, kids today are under extreme pressure to have the latest smartphones, trainers, media games etc. Parents today are also under pressure to provide their children with the latest device or fashion item because of the peer pressure their kids are under to have those things.
I don't watch those so-called reality tv shows featuring mostly young people, but just seeing the adverts for such programmes is enough to show that for the most part, they are indeed vapid, shallow and all about me, me, me. I am not suggesting for one minute that all young people are like that, they are not, but unfortunately, some are too easily influenced by such people.
As you get older you become even more family orientated, especially when grandchildren come along, and I must admit that very often it is the bank of grandma and grandpa that enables grandchildren to get the latest device or fashion item. My excuse is that you wouldn't be much of a grandparent if you didn't occasionally spoil your grandchildren.
I also believe that as you get older you take more stock of what is happening in the world and where it is leading us. Young people tend to live for the day and let the future take care of itself, although I don't think that attitude by the young is really any different in any generation. You can't put an old head on young shoulders.
As far as how older people dress, some older mens' dress sense seems to mean drowning themselves in a sea of beige. There was a time in my mid-sixties when I succumbed to that but it is possible for older people to dress more adventurously without looking like mutton dressed as lamb.
I see now that Christmas ads for toys and electronic gadgets are already hitting our tv screens and very obviously targeting the young, and while it is true that the majority of adverts are aimed at the young, there is one kind of advertising here in the UK aimed at the over 55's. Just about every insurance company that exists is flooding the tv screen with adverts for funeral plans.
Now we have one set of adverts telling the young they can't live without it and another set of adverts telling the elderly they can't die without it.
It is true that advertising can erode values, particularly traditional ones, but that is where good parenting comes in. One can only hope that parents are wise enough and mature enough to see the dangers and protect their children from those dangers.
Hope I haven't sounded like a grumpy old man!

Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

You make moral and ethical comparisons between 2018 and seventy years ago ie the period around 1948.

Let's unpack that on a historical basis. The period seventy years ago witnessed unprecedented failures in societal ethical conduct
  • The Holocaust of jews throughout Europe and spilled into areas of South America.
  • The the mass murders of Italians in Sant' Anna di Stazzemma, Adreatine, Marzabotto, Vnca and Milan
  • The deaths of 26 million in Russia
  • The dropping of two atomic bombs on civilian populations in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
  • The Apartheid in South Africa
  • The lynchings and apartheid in USA
  • The genocides in Rwanda and Sarajevo
  • The prolonged institutional child sexual abuses across Europe, America, and Australasia
  • The conduct of research was highly unethical and I can site the medical research in Germany and New Zealand as classic examples of actions devoid of ethics.
The media was pivotal in committing these unconscionable crimes. Gobels and McCarthy provided classic examples.

So what do we have now:
  • Women have greater rights and equality to leadership positions and redress for crimes against women.
  • We have greater safety for children
  • We now hold countries accountable for unconscionable crimes against humanity
  • Despite ongoing wars, the world is a far more stable place in terms of hostilities.
  • Ethics is a far greater consideration in all aspects of life including research.
You may pine for the life of seventy years ago - I do not and am grateful I'm living in 2018.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You make moral and ethical comparisons between 2018 and seventy years ago ie the period around 1948.

Let's unpack that on a historical basis. The period seventy years ago witnessed unprecedented failures in societal ethical conduct
  • The Holocaust of jews throughout Europe and spilled into areas of South America.
  • The the mass murders of Italians in Sant' Anna di Stazzemma, Adreatine, Marzabotto, Vnca and Milan
  • The dropping of two atomic bombs on civilian populations in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
  • The prolonged institutional child sexual abuses across Europe, America, and Australasia
  • The conduct of research was highly unethical and I can site the medical research in Germany and New Zealand as classic examples of actions devoid of ethics.
The media was pivotal in committing these unconscionable crimes. Gobels and McCarthy provided classic examples.

So what do we have now:
  • Women have greater rights and equality to leadership positions and redress for crimes against women.
  • We have greater safety for children
  • We now hold countries accountable for unconscionable crimes against humanity
  • Despite ongoing wars, the world is a far more stable place in terms of hostilities.
  • Ethics is a far greater consideration in all aspects of life including research.
You may pine for the life of seventy years ago - I do not and am grateful I'm living in 2018.

Those statements typically reflect someone who is only exposed to the liberal media, which is super biased and reports only what they like and favour, but not the whole reality such as how many children are suffering as result of divorce, the inappropriate contentography addictions, the drug addictions, the high suicide rate, the emptiness of people today, the number of demonic possessions today, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Those statements typically reflect someone who is only exposed to the liberal media, which is super biased and reports only what they like and favour, but not the whole reality such as how many children are suffering as result of divorce, the inappropriate contentography addictions, the drug addictions, the high suicide rate, the emptiness of people today, the number of demonic possessions today, etc.
Are you saying the events I refer to, holocausts, institutional paedophilia etc - are some sort of liberal agenda and that those genocides were minor compared to problems with drugs and divorce.

What a bizarre argument to justify your position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
many children are suffering as result of divorce, the inappropriate contentography addictions, the drug addictions, the high suicide rate, the emptiness of people today, the number of demonic possessions today.
Where is your evidence or your statement - No evidence = unsubstantiated opinion.
Now don't get me wrong - your entitled to an opinion. But you having an opinion isn't trustworthy if its not based on evidence.

So where's the researched statistics showing:
  • Increased demonic possession
  • rising childhood suffering as a direct impact of divorce
  • Increasing suicide rates out of proportion to population growth.
  • Evidence of emptiness - Id even like to know how that was measured.
So if you have no evidence - then accept that its your opinion and based on no known fact.

Then compare that to the list of issues I described from the era you suggest we should return to:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MyLordYeshuaTheMessiah

Nov 12, 2017
london
✟29,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is your evidence or your statement - No evidence = unsubstantiated opinion.
Now don't get me wrong - your entitled to an opinion. But you having an opinion isn't trustworthy if its not based on evidence.

So where's the researched statistics showing:
  • Increased demonic possession
  • rising childhood suffering as a direct impact of divorce
  • Increasing suicide rates out of proportion to population growth.
  • Evidence of emptiness - Id even like to ow how that was measured.
So if you have no evidence - then accept that ts should your opinion and based on no known fact.

Then compare that to the list of issues I described from the era you suggest we should return to:
Oh you poor blind child.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Come on, I never said I wish to return to 70 years ago, I wish to return to much more than 70 years ago, when it was much more peaceful.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Come on, I never said I wish to return to 70 years ago, I wish to return to much more than 70 years ago, when it was much more peaceful.
OK fair enough Tomm - but if we chose to step back to other more distant eras, if you examined the history then you will find that ethical behaviour, both individually and institutionally, is far higher today. Pick any era you choose and we can debate it.

I'm not attacking you, I just believe that every generation looks at the current cohort of teenagers and laments them. I know your point examines the media and advertising...but there too I think claims of higher ethics in media 70+ years ago is dubious. Look at the cigarette smoking Ads in the 50s and the propaganda during WWI and WWII.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
@Tomm as an after-thought, and now kinda supporting at least some aspects of your thinking, I watched a couple in their late 20s sitting at a coffee shop. They didn't speak, but focussed on their smart-phones. I thought it kinda sad. I value the intimacy that goes with personal communication. To sit in front of a friend or partner, and just talk. To show the other person how your thoughts about the world are shifting; to show them what lies in your heart; and to express your love and gentleness towards them; and in return encourage their discourse and expression of what lies inside them.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
@Tomm as an after-thought, and now kinda supporting at least some aspects of your thinking, I watched a couple in their late 20s sitting at a coffee shop. They didn't speak, but focussed on their smart-phones. I thought it kinda sad. I value the intimacy that goes with personal communication. To sit in front of a friend or partner, and just talk. To show the other person how your thoughts about the world are shifting; to show them what lies in your heart; and to express your love and gentleness towards them; and in return encourage their discourse and expression of what lies inside them.

Zoii, actually that's not my thinking, my post was quoting the author of the video. Although I agree with him, those are not my words. I simply shared his video and ideas with CF members.

Upvote 0