catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our missionaries are reporting back that way more ears are open to the gospel in this time. And in areas where they weren't so much open before all this came down. Really this is a good time to shine for Jesus Christ. I spend very little time in the political section of these forums, I'd rather be elsewhere. Plus I have work to do for the pastor etc, so I tend not to argue much here ( I'm easy lol ).

As to dying, I have no fear of death, of death itself that is but I have to say gagging for two weeks to get there isn't too appealing sounding.

Yes, while we may at times do ordinary stuff like helping the needy or trying to better the nation, it's really when we share the gospel that we do the most good! :)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree and we don't need more children without their parents and grandparents that care for them.
Foster care isn't usually an ideal or even happy life for children especially if they are separated from their siblings.
Perhaps it could be a time coming soon for more Christians to consider adopting.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am quite aware of that so did you consider my solution that could keep down the spread?
I did that was what I meant is that you cannot always just keep people from picking else the food will rot.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But someone reports the statistics right ? How do you know it's close to accurate ? You don't.

Nordic countries have pretty good ranks on being reliable with minimum corruption.

Corruption Perceptions Index 2019

TLDR out 180 countries Finland, Norway and Sweden are ranked in top 7.

US is at 23rd spot. incidentally I was actually surprised how well you did.

And yes sure of course it may all be a huge lizard men plot to bring dinosaurs back, while terraforming earth to huge jungle and Covid transforming everyone to T Rex with this just being a diversion while everyone secretly transferred to digital world that is actually only an electric marble that angels play around with except they are actually double agents working for Satan but that is just part of the Gods plan to give Satan false sense of security......

You got to believe something to make sense of the world.

Trusting established democracies with high level of education, social trust and freedom of the press makes more sense than trusting shady YouTube videos.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean the fast tests part?
I mean everything I said about isolation (for 2 wks), testing and results before being allowed to move about freely in stores, etc.
Add temperature testing by the employer before starting work on a daily basis.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I mean everything I said about isolation (for 2 wks), testing and results before being allowed to move about freely in stores, etc.
Add temperature testing by the employer before starting work on a daily basis.
The two week part I have an issue with the temps I would support.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There's so much uncertainty that I think it's hard to criticize countries. People were spooked by the Italy situation. I think it's pretty clear that without a lockdown we would have had such a situation in NY and NJ. Hence I believe they really had to do a lockdown.

If Sweden thinks they can get enough distancing from voluntary action to keep numbers within what they can handle, it's hard to prove that they're wrong. But their weekly deaths are pretty clearly growing. I think there's a reasonable chance they won't be able continue their current path.

I feel the same about states in the US with low numbers of cases and deaths. I think they'll get into trouble, but there's certainly no way to prove it.

The danger is that by the time you see cases growing, and particularly deaths, the growth has been happening for several weeks. If you find you're wrong and have to tighten up, it will take several weeks before it has any effect, and likely more than a month to reverse a serious problem. That would argue for opening slowly and waiting a few weeks before the next step.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is your problem with the 2 wks?
because in that two weeks ( depending on when in the cycle they are there) some stuff may end up rotting.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Our missionaries are reporting back that way more ears are open to the gospel in this time. And in areas where they weren't so much open before all this came down. Really this is a good time to shine for Jesus Christ. I spend very little time in the political section of these forums, I'd rather be elsewhere. Plus I have work to do for the pastor etc, so I tend not to argue much here ( I'm easy lol ).

Taking advantage of peoples emotional vulnerability is unethical proselytism.

The loving thing to do is support people according to their felt needs without any ulterior motive, not to see them as a feather in your evangelism cap.

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Well, we need to get the truth, first. And lest we forget - you are the poster who was off by a factor of 10 in your reporting of the number of annual influenza deaths.

In another thread, OP was also lauding the lack of social distancing during the Black Death. Quite frankly, I think they have a bit of a death fetish.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
In another thread, OP was also lauding the lack of social distancing during the Black Death. Quite frankly, I think they have a bit of a death fetish.

Some did engage in social distancing during the black death, even if they didn't fully understand the mechanisms of how the plague was transmitted. That is one of the reasons the papacy moved to Avignon, and the wealthy tended to retreat into country manors.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's so much uncertainty that I think it's hard to criticize countries. People were spooked by the Italy situation. I think it's pretty clear that without a lockdown we would have had such a situation in NY and NJ. Hence I believe they really had to do a lockdown.

If Sweden thinks they can get enough distancing from voluntary action to keep numbers within what they can handle, it's hard to prove that they're wrong. But their weekly deaths are pretty clearly growing. I think there's a reasonable chance they won't be able continue their current path.

I feel the same about states in the US with low numbers of cases and deaths. I think they'll get into trouble, but there's certainly no way to prove it.

The danger is that by the time you see cases growing, and particularly deaths, the growth has been happening for several weeks. If you find you're wrong and have to tighten up, it will take several weeks before it has any effect, and likely more than a month to reverse a serious problem. That would argue for opening slowly and waiting a few weeks before the next step.
This would sound more reasonable to make blanket statements like "it's hard to prove that they're wrong." and "there's certainly no way to prove it." if we didn't have the math understanding and the data, and see for this virus over and over consistently in nation after nation follows the virus math of spread follows in a clear, straightforward way depending on social distancing, that's actually very well understood by epidemiologists, who have explained it over and over to us.

Just over and over, all of these. If I'd not learned from those knowledgeable people who's job it is to understand this, then it would have taken longer to see the pattern, but still, the patter is very clear in the data, such as from here:

Coronavirus Update (Live): 2,637,673 Cases and 184,217 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

So, see, like algebra or calculus, it isn't hard to understand once you listen to a good teacher about it.

So, the idea ""there's certainly no way to prove it" won't hold up well, if the standard is which nations turn out to have had less deaths as a % of their population say after 2 full years of this have passed. It will be quite clear, and we already clearly can see what matters and how the trend works.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Taking advantage of peoples emotional vulnerability is unethical proselytism.

The loving thing to do is support people according to their felt needs without any ulterior motive, not to see them as a feather in your evangelism cap.
Sure, that would be so if and when it happens. Kinda like saying that stealing is wrong. Pretty definitely so! But giving isn't wrong. Stealing: wrong. Giving: fine.

Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Some did engage in social distancing during the black death, even if they didn't fully understand the mechanisms of how the plague was transmitted. That is one of the reasons the papacy moved to Avignon, and the wealthy tended to retreat into country manors.
there were entire villages that basically cutoff contact with others using only deaddrop locations to trade and communicate with others. these days though the nuts would rather have us dropdead in order to trade.

Upvote 0