The sinners prayer. A lie straight out of the pits of hell.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I can stay silent no more. Many people are falling for this "sinners prayer" that basically teaches that all you have to do is confess Jesus and you will be saved. In fact, billions of people are getting "saved" with this false lie from the devil. People think that all they have to do is confess Jesus once and then never go to church, never bear fruit, and many of them never think about Jesus ever again. But hey theyre saved because a pastor had them repeat a prayer once 60 years ago and gosh darn it, that prayer saves! This couldnt be more wrong. Jesus said to be a follower of him you must pick up your cross DAILY. The Christian life is a daily effort and war it's not something you make a one time decision on. You ARE saved by faith dont get me wrong but the faith that saves is NEVER alone. Saying a couple of magic words once and then not bearing any fruit ever again is NOT saving faith. In fact, Jesus talks about what happens to these kinds of people in John 15:1-6.

John 15 1-6 ESV:

15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

What Jesus is saying here is that there are two kinds of followers those who bear fruit and those who don't. Those who bear fruit cannot do so without the sovereign hand of God guiding them every step of the way. Apart from God our works will always be like filthy rags even in our best efforts. Then there are those who do NOT bear fruit. They will be gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

Repentance is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. Repentance does not save you but rather repentance is a God given evidence that you are saved, sealed, and redeemed. But if you think you are saved yet live in constant and unrepentant sin and your life is categorized by constant willful sin than you are a liar and the truth is not in you as John says in 1 John 4-10. If your heart has never broken into a million pieces because you've committed the same sin over and over again than that's a CLEAR sign that the Holy Spirit is not in you because the Holy Spirit works repentance into the heart of men.

Sinning as a true Christian is like somebody is sawing your heart in half and brings you to the loving and tender mercy of God. Repentance isn't just saying you're sorry once it's a constant battle between your flesh and the Holy Spirit. Christians want to be like Jesus. Our hearts thirst for the righteousness that will one day be fulfilled.

You are saved by faith but the faith that saves is NEVER alone.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I can stay silent no more. Many people are falling for this "sinners prayer" that basically teaches that all you have to do is confess Jesus and you will be saved. In fact, billions of people are getting "saved" with this false lie from the devil. People think that all they have to do is confess Jesus once and then never go to church, never bear fruit, and many of them never think about Jesus ever again. But hey theyre saved because a pastor had them repeat a prayer once 60 years ago and gosh darn it, that prayer saves! This couldnt be more wrong. Jesus said to be a follower of him you must pick up your cross DAILY. The Christian life is a daily effort and war it's not something you make a one time decision on. You ARE saved by faith dont get me wrong but the faith that saves is NEVER alone.
But the problem is not the sinner's prayer - it is what comes next.. Is it a born-again transformed life lived for Christ or is it "back to worldly living as usual".

Is it living in harmony with the Word of God - or continued rebellion?

Saying a couple of magic words once and then not bearing any fruit ever again is NOT saving faith
Matt 7 says "by their fruits you shall know them"

In that chapter Jesus said "not everyone who SAYS Lord Lord will enter... but rather he who DOES the will of the Father" -- Jesus does not find fault with what they say - He finds fault with what they did ..
. In fact, Jesus talks about what happens to these kinds of people in John 15:1-6.

John 15 1-6 ESV:

15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

What Jesus is saying here is that there are two kinds of followers those who bear fruit and those who don't.
But only one type is saved.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some would say there's a difference between being saved and being a follower. That being an actual follower is like being an overseas missionary, where you literally leave everything behind. Family, friends, home, possessions, career etc and being a servant of Christ is all that's left for you to do full time.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"People think that all they have to do is confess Jesus once and then never go to church, never bear fruit, and many of them never think about Jesus ever again"

Can you please share how you know this? There are over 30 million Churches in the world. Sorry but no one on this planet knows the heart. Did God lie? "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Rom. " At that time, whoever calls on the name of ADONAI will be saved." "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

There are no "if" "and" or "but's" in any of these verses and there are more. Its the classic "What Jesus is saying here is ". No YOU said "what Jesus is saying here" Christ never did. There is no fear worry doubt and there is now no condemnation to them in Christ Jesus. He didn't come to condemn the world but to save it. Sorry but if one believes Jesus came in the Flesh died on the cross for the worlds sin rose the 3rd day is the only way to the Father they are saved. No offense

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can stay silent no more. Many people are falling for this "sinners prayer" that basically teaches that all you have to do is confess Jesus and you will be saved. In fact, billions of people are getting "saved" with this false lie from the devil. People think that all they have to do is confess Jesus once and then never go to church, never bear fruit, and many of them never think about Jesus ever again. But hey theyre saved because a pastor had them repeat a prayer once 60 years ago and gosh darn it, that prayer saves! This couldnt be more wrong. Jesus said to be a follower of him you must pick up your cross DAILY. The Christian life is a daily effort and war it's not something you make a one time decision on. You ARE saved by faith dont get me wrong but the faith that saves is NEVER alone. Saying a couple of magic words once and then not bearing any fruit ever again is NOT saving faith. In fact, Jesus talks about what happens to these kinds of people in John 15:1-6.

John 15 1-6 ESV:

What Jesus is saying here is that there are two kinds of followers those who bear fruit and those who don't. Those who bear fruit cannot do so without the sovereign hand of God guiding them every step of the way. Apart from God our works will always be like filthy rags even in our best efforts. Then there are those who do NOT bear fruit. They will be gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

Repentance is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. Repentance does not save you but rather repentance is a God given evidence that you are saved, sealed, and redeemed. But if you think you are saved yet live in constant and unrepentant sin and your life is categorized by constant willful sin than you are a liar and the truth is not in you as John says in 1 John 4-10. If your heart has never broken into a million pieces because you've committed the same sin over and over again than that's a CLEAR sign that the Holy Spirit is not in you because the Holy Spirit works repentance into the heart of men.

Sinning as a true Christian is like somebody is sawing your heart in half and brings you to the loving and tender mercy of God. Repentance isn't just saying you're sorry once it's a constant battle between your flesh and the Holy Spirit. Christians want to be like Jesus. Our hearts thirst for the righteousness that will one day be fulfilled.

Some who say the "sinners prayer" actually do have a conversation experience. So no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Blessings.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

OkieAllDay

Jun 17, 2023
Oklahoma
✟15,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

John 15 1-6 ESV:

A) The fast majority of the time (100% of the time in my experience) it is said that if you believe in your heart these words you will be saved. The words don't have magical powers, but are a guide to help a person who desires to seek God to put their faith in Him.

B) As a Calvinist, why are you so concerned with false conversions? Those God didn't want to save will never be saved anyways, and those that God did want to be saved will be saved no matter what. The end result never changes in Calvinism... PLUS in Calvinism, God ordains all things - including people having false conversions through the sinner's prayer...

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I can stay silent no more. Many people are falling for this "sinners prayer" that basically teaches that all you have to do is confess Jesus and you will be saved. In fact, billions of people are getting "saved" with this false lie from the devil.
1) you're not God, so you don't know who's saved and who's not.

2) The sinner's prayer appears to be an application of Romans 10:9, thus arguing against scripture with scriptures tends to illuminate that whatever you might be saying .. is incorrect and not from God.

3) The latter half of James Chapter 3 makes a good corrective.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

John 15 1-6 ESV:

The gospel of Christ is about God drawing man to Himself, and our responding by turning to Him in genuine faith. Altar calls and sinners prayers were never the order of the day in the early church and can really just amount to legalistic, outward shows and attempts to turn to God, but, if true faith is present at the time then it makes little difference-God will be pleased. We just need to continue to remain in Him-to pick up our cross and follow-every day. Good fruit will follow from the relationship which is established and nurtured by faith, along with hope and love.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can stay silent no more. Many people are falling for this "sinners prayer" that basically teaches that all you have to do is confess Jesus and you will be saved.
I doubt very much that anyone walks up to a person on the street, says "repeat the Jesus prayer after me. Good, now you are saved, can live as you like and still go to heaven."
The only time I've heard of the sinners prayer being used is after a Christian rally/Gospel service; where the preacher/evangelist has spent at least half an hour explaining the Christian faith, why we needed a Saviour and how Jesus came to die. Anyone giving an altar call will - if they are wise - have counsellors/prayer ministers ready to pray with the new Christian and give them a Bible or Gospel. If they are very wise, they will have a list of churches, or the details of individual Christians to "follow up" the new believer and answer any questions or problems.
In fact, billions of people are getting "saved" with this false lie from the devil.
i) the devil is not going to say, or promote, anything that leads people to God.
ii) Only God can see people's hearts and knows whether they are saved or whether they said something they didn't mean through coercion or because someone else expected it.

People think that all they have to do is confess Jesus once and then never go to church, never bear fruit, and many of them never think about Jesus ever again.
Do they? Which people think that, and how do you know?
But hey theyre saved because a pastor had them repeat a prayer once 60 years ago and gosh darn it, that prayer saves!
Again, how do you know? What evidence is there that this happens?
This couldnt be more wrong.
If there are any preachers/evangelists out there who are teaching, "prayer this prayer, live exactly how you want and in 60 years you'll find that you are still saved"; yes, that would be wrong, and they would be held to account for their false teaching.
If that was all that the new convert ever heard about the Christian faith, they couldn't be blamed for believing it.
Jesus said to be a follower of him you must pick up your cross DAILY.
Yes - but that doesn't mean that a person has to be saved daily; over and over again.

The Christian life is a daily effort and war it's not something you make a one time decision on.
Neither is it something that we do in our own efforts.
We recommit ourselves to God every day; yes.
If we face temptation, hatred, anger we have to choose to resist, or to answer with words of love and peace; yes.
But we have the Holy Spirit who is our advocate and Jesus who intercedes for us.

And for some, they may, indeed, pray that prayer and receive Jesus just before they die or have time to bear any real fruit.
They are saved.

What Jesus is saying here is that there are two kinds of followers those who bear fruit and those who don't. Those who bear fruit cannot do so without the sovereign hand of God guiding them every step of the way.
Bearing fruit = the fruit of the Holy Spirit, which can only happen if you have the Holy Spirit.
And if a person is not born again through the power of the Holy Spirit, they cannot enter the Kingdom of heaven.

Repentance is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
No; the fruit of the Holy Spirit is found in Galatians 5:22-23.
The Spirit leads us to repentance - and to Jesus for forgiveness.

Repentance does not save you
The word "Repent" means to turn around; change direction.
If a person is headed towards a fire and they turn around, or turn away from it, their life will be saved.
If a person turns away from one thing, they turn towards something else. If they are praying to God and asking Jesus to save them, they are turning to Jesus.

but rather repentance is a God given evidence that you are saved, sealed, and redeemed.
If a person admits they are a sinner, says sorry and asks Jesus to save them, they are saved. They HAVE repented - turned around.

The Holy Spirit is a deposit, and a seal, guaranteeing our inheritance - not repentance, 2 Corinthians 1:22, 2 Corinthians 5:7, Ephesians 1:14.

Unless a person is not in a position to DO anything, or bear fruit - i.e very ill/ in prison/on death row.
We are saved by Jesus - NOT by Jesus + our good deeds/own efforts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The gospel of Christ is about God drawing man to Himself, and our responding by turning to Him in genuine faith. Altar calls and sinners prayers were never the order of the day in the early church and can really just amount to legalistic, outward shows and attempts to turn to God, but, if true faith is present at the time then it makes little difference-God will be pleased. We just need to continue to remain in Him-to pick up our cross and follow-every day. Good fruit will follow from the relationship which is established and nurtured by faith, along with hope and love.
That is very difficult to substantiate. We have, for example, the preaching of the gospel on the day of Pentecost when about 3,000 were added to the church. We know that not all of these folks were truly converted because Ananias and Sapphira both were subsequently struck dead by the Holy Spirit. Likewise, later on we have the curious case of Simon the magician who not only professed to be a believer, but also was baptized and counted among the Christians.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That is very difficult to substantiate. We have, for example, the preaching of the gospel on the day of Pentecost when about 3,000 were added to the church. We know that not all of these folks were truly converted because Ananias and Sapphira both were subsequently struck dead by the Holy Spirit. Likewise, later on we have the curious case of Simon the magician who not only professed to be a believer, but also was baptized and counted among the Christians.
Yes, talk is cheap. Again, true faith pleases God, and faith that continues to pick up its cross and follow daily, doing His will as best we can IOW, is the mark of His children. But, yes, at the end of the day only He knows the human heart with perfect certainty.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes, talk is cheap. Again, true faith pleases God, and faith that continues to pick up its cross and follow daily, doing His will as best we can IOW, is the mark of His children. But, yes, at the end of the day only He knows the human heart with perfect certainty.
I agree entirely. Thank you.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Indeed so. I myself strongly object to the “altar call”, which ironically normally happens in churches that do not actually have an altar, but normally only a pulpit, on liturgical grounds, as nothing like it was known to the Early Church.

Rather, in antiquity, those who sought to become Christians became catechumens and were instructed in the faith before receiving the sacrament of Baptism or Chrismation, not unlike how the Catholics and Orthodox and indeed interestingly some confessional Lutherans like the LCMS do it today.

Upvote 0