Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
By the way, Ben...recognize that you further defeat your own arguments by citing Jesus' words about those who say "Lord, Lord" at the last day. You've argued repeatedly with respect to 2 Peter that someone can't appear to be saved and yet still be unsaved. And yet here Jesus is approached by those saying they have prophesied in His name, cast out demons in His name, and done many wonders in His name...and He tells them to depart for He NEVER knew them. NEVER, Ben. Unless you want to now try to explain how one can be in a state of salvation and yet be unknown by Jesus, you must concede that this verse obliterates your argument.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
FreeGrace said:
the big error you continue to make is to preach a gospel of man which is doomed and offers no hope.Where I believe you err is to mistake that which is addressed in scripture to our responsibility.I pray for the day you come to know the God of Grace who does not leave his people in thier sins or to thier own weaknessess.But by remaining in Christ bearing fruit with the power of Gods Grace.
Duncan, if you can show me that view in Scripture, that day will be now. But in all the Scripture I've studied (all the Bible), faith and perseverance and abiding are all charged to us.
We are saved kept and brought to glory by Gods Grace never by mans efforts.
No one ever said "by man's efforts". It is all of God, but by man's faith.
That said we have responsibilities and a deep gratitude for what God has done for us and we respond accordingly by holding to Christ for apart from Him we can do nothing.
No, if we are PREDESTINED, there there is no real responsibility, nor obligation (Rom8:12). For our faith, our perseverance, our growth --- will all be irresistible, flowing from the unilateral regeneration He installed in our hearts (before we believed or asked).

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
ABIC said:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.
Let's look at what was QUOTED (source):
"Woe to those who rise early that they may be drunk. Their banquets sound with lyre and harp and tambourine and flute, and flow with wine; but they do not pay attention to the deeds of the Lord. Therefore My people go into exile for their lack of knowledge. Woe to those who drag iniquity with the cords of falsehood, and sin as if with ropes. Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, and substitute darkness for light. They have rejected the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel. On account of this the anger of the Lord has burned against His people, and He has stretched out His hand against them and struck them down. Go tell this to the people --- 'keep on listening but do not perceive; keep on looking but do not understand.' Render the hearts of this people heavy, and their ears dul, and their eyes dim, lest they see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and return and be healed." Isaiah5-6

This is the passage Jesus QUOTED. Does it make the case for, "God closed their eyes and ears SO THAT they COULD not understand? No. They turned away from God, FIRST. Because Jesus quotes from THIS SECTION of Isaiah in Mark4, you must understand what the SOURCE, says.

In Mark4:11 Jesus says, "To you has been given..." You, who? "You who BELIEVE".

Interesting that you cite Heb4:12; when 4:11 (in conjunction with 3:12-14, 18-19) soundly opposes the idea of "truly saved cannot become hardened by deceitful sin to falling away from the living God; therefore be diligent NOT TO FALL, not to imitate the Israelites' disobedience and unbelief."

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Fru said:
And yet Jesus Himself chided the Pharisees (who were extremely well-versed in Scripture), saying "You search the Scriptures, believing that in them you have life."
What is Jesus condemning in Jn5:40-47? He says, "you are UNWILLING to come to Me that you may have life". And why is that, Fru? "BECAUSE they seek MEN'S glory rather than GOD'S".

You say, "they cannot understand the Scriptures because God has not enabled them to" --- I see, "they are UNWILLING to understand BECAUSE they sought man's glory rather than God's". You see predestination, I see volition. Who is right?
The Scriptures have the knowledge which, through faith in Jesus Christ, give you the wisdom that leads to salvation (or, if you prefer, which lead to the wisdom that brings about salvific faith in Jesus Christ). It still does not change the fact that the Scriptures ALONE are not sufficient to save men. You must account for why one person puts their trust and faith in the knowledge contained therein while another does not.
I do prefer, Fru; Paul said it the way he meant it. In all of this you seek to prove that "man is incapable of believing unless God changes his heart first". But I have demonstrated that "regeneration is through, and AFTER, belief.
I find it interesting that you want to focus only on the New Testament and leave out the Old. The one word is not "love." To say "love" is to exclude wrath. To say "grace" is to exclude justice. To say "redemption" is to exclude transgression.
That's because the NT is about the "New Covenant".
I agree, although I think your definition of "backslidden-saved" varies widely according to the expediency of the moment.
"Backslidden", means "continuing in sin" --- that's all it could mean.
I see. So do you believe that no one in the Old Testament was saved (since the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is a New Covenant blessing)?
The Holy Spirit was not "sent" in their time, as He is in ours. Jn14:26
OH REALLY?!?!? Would you mind providing us with the Scripture that tells us where final judgement upon Satan and his angels has been pronounced, particularly when we are told that WE will judge the angels?
Do you believe any "fallen angel", will go to Heaven? Is it possible?
No, the question is whether or not unregenerate, sinful man, who is dead in his sins, blind and deaf to the things of God, and wholly unwilling to cleave to his creator, is able of his own impetus to spontaneously and monergistically bring about a change of inclination from being against God to being for Him.
Obviously "unregenerate man CAN believe" --- for it is belief that RECEIVES regeneration.
NO, BEN! It says JESUS NEVER KNEW THEM.
It was explained to me, that "never knew", can encompass "ANNULMENT".

"When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that a wicked man does, will he live? All his righteous deeds which he has done will not be remembered for the treachery and sin he has committed; for them he will die." Ezk18:24

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Moonbeam said:
Ben...you maintain that our believing is what appropriates to us the benefits of Christ, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as well as Christ himself indwelling us.....these ones confessing "Lord, Lord" clearly believed in Jesus ........How do you explain the fact that Jesus says ...."I NEVER knew you" ......??
Moonbeam, there are those who never were saved. Whether Matt7:21-23 speaks of "those who NEVER WERE SAVED", or those who "WERE saved but FELL" --- both types have the same characteristics. They practice sin.

Those who "practice sin", do not truly believe in Jesus. For "belief", is qualified with "receiving His indwelling presence, AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS."

There is a "head-knowledge-belief", that is not commitment; James condemns this in 2:19. It is only belief that RECEIVES Jesus that is saved (Jn1:12). The problem with your view, is that it denies clear words such as Heb3-4, which says that true belief can become deceived by sin, to UNBELIEF which falls away from God; there is a sincere warning to not imitate the unbelief and disobedience of the Israelites. Somehow in your paradigm, this "warning" is read as "not really possible".

I'm not sure how your understanding works...

Upvote 0

pcwilkins

Feb 2, 2004
✟8,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Morning Ben

I think I understand where you are coming from. However, you still have it the wrong way round. In our old nature, we cannot produce any good thing. That includes faith. In order for faith to be 'produced' in us, we need to be given a new nature - to be born again.

There is a fatal flaw in your arguments:

1 - In order for a man to be saved, Jesus must have died for his sins.
2 - In order to be saved, a man must have faith.
3 - You say we have the ability to produce our own faith (by reading the Bible etc)
4 - So God is unsure about who is going to have faith.
5 - Therefore, Jesus must die for the sins of Mr X, Mr Y, AND Mr Z, just in case they ALL decide to have faith.
6 - If Mr X and Mr Y produce faith and Mr Z doesn't, Mr Z will presumably be damned because of his lack of faith.
7 - But is his lack of faith a sin? If not, why is he damned for it? If so, then Jesus must have died for it, or Mr Z would have no 'chance' of salvation.
8 - So, since Jesus died for ALL the sins of Mr Z, God has no justification for denying Mr Z salvation.

So the logical conclusion of your argument is that, since Jesus must have died for everyone's sins (just in case everyone produces faith) then everyone will go to heaven.

Peter

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ben johnson said:
What is Jesus condemning in Jn5:40-47? He says, "you are UNWILLING to come to Me that you may have life". And why is that, Fru? "BECAUSE they seek MEN'S glory rather than GOD'S".

You say, "they cannot understand the Scriptures because God has not enabled them to" --- I see, "they are UNWILLING to understand BECAUSE they sought man's glory rather than God's". You see predestination, I see volition. Who is right?
What you still have not grasped is that their being unwilling is why they are incapable. Man's desire (and thus his willingness) is such that he will NEVER, apart from the work of the Holy Spirit, incline himself to God. His will is free in that he has the ability to choose according to his desire without coercion. But his will is in slavery to a heart that is inclined to evil. Until and unless that desire is changed, they are incapable of believing because they are wholly unwilling to.

I do prefer, Fru; Paul said it the way he meant it. In all of this you seek to prove that "man is incapable of believing unless God changes his heart first". But I have demonstrated that "regeneration is through, and AFTER, belief.
No, you have not, and that was my point. You dodged the main thrust of my comment, which was to challenge you to provide an explanation as to why the Scriptures are effective for one and not another, because the Scriptures alone are clearly not enough.

That's because the NT is about the "New Covenant".
So you come in here talking about bad teaching in our churches, and then you try to separate the New Covenant from the Old such as the Old becomes irrelevant?

BTW, do you agree with my assertion regarding the key word?

"Backslidden", means "continuing in sin" --- that's all it could mean.
In your mind perhaps, but that's because you have an obsession with salvific insecurity. To me "backslidden" means "failing for a time to actively progress in sanctification and regressing to a limited extent in behavior." It's neither a full nor a final "fall" into apostasy, simply a period of stumbling.

The Holy Spirit was not "sent" in their time, as He is in ours. Jn14:26
Dodging the question. YOU said being saved is being indwelt by the Holy Spirit, not belief. So, if the OT saints were not indwelt by the Holy Spirit but merely believed, then you must either revise your statement or agree that OT saints weren't saved.

Do you believe any "fallen angel", will go to Heaven? Is it possible?
Again, you're dodging the point. You said even if they can believe they can't be saved because they've "already been judged." I don't remember participating in that, even though I'm told I would.

Your "salvation is fellowship" doctrine is hooey, Ben. Fellowship is a benefit and blessing of salvation...but it is not salvation itself.

Obviously "unregenerate man CAN believe" --- for it is belief that RECEIVES regeneration.
Boy, if that isn't assuming your conclusion....

It was explained to me, that "never knew", can encompass "ANNULMENT".
That is a very, very weak attempt to explain a way a verse that mortally wounds your position, Ben.

Upvote 0

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
Ben johnson said:
Moonbeam, there are those who never were saved. Whether Matt7:21-23 speaks of "those who NEVER WERE SAVED", or those who "WERE saved but FELL" --- both types have the same characteristics. They practice sin.
You are reluctant to choose between never were saved and saved but fell....WHY?

These persons in v22 prophesied, cast out devils and did many wonderful works in His Name ...... How can Jesus say "I NEVER knew you".....your response Ben?

:) peace in Christ :)

Upvote 0
Ben johnson said:
In Mark4:11 Jesus says, "To you has been given..." You, who? "You who BELIEVE".

Interesting that you cite Heb4:12; when 4:11 (in conjunction with 3:12-14, 18-19) soundly opposes the idea of "truly saved cannot become hardened by deceitful sin to falling away from the living God; therefore be diligent NOT TO FALL, not to imitate the Israelites' disobedience and unbelief."
according to Hebrews 11 :26-30 they had faith yet they did sin 1john 1:8-10

When one believes that Jesus Christ who is 100% God and 100% mancomes to earth the perfect man!!!! dies for mine and your and the worlds sins and is resurrected on the third day...

what sin did God not pay for for them to lose their salvation.

did God not do what he said he would do?

man fails . God never fails!

the only sin that sends a person to hell is unbelief no actions ben john 16:9

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip dT

Sep 28, 2004
Stellenbosch
Visit site
✟623.00
Faith
Christian
We are saved by grace, through faith - "and that not of ourselves - it is the gift of God." It is not OUR faith, but God-given faith, which saves.

I don't believe we have the ability to produce our own faith, and thus save ourselves.
Eph 2:8 – Salvation is a gift of God

This verse refers to verse 5: “by grace you are saved.” The touto(this) in verse 8 refers semantically in the first place to the salvation (cf. verse 5), not to faith (cf. Zerwick & Grosvenor 1988, Amplified Bible). One cannot save yourself. If you see this and recognise that only God can save you through Jesus the Lord, and if you accept that, and confess it, you are saved (Rom 10:10), for this equals faith. The Message translates: “Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish!”

It is grammatically possible to understand touto as referring back to the whole phrase (salvation and faith). But even if touto refers to the whole phrase, the dia pistewj(through faith) is merely an expansion to seswsmenoi (you are saved). In this context, it is primarily about the salvation and the “making alive” of man (Eph 2:5). One should also be able to translate: “For by grace you are saved (through faith), and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.” The “(through faith)” is added to say how salvation takes place, namely through faith. Faith is the way in which man becomes part of the saving grace, for it is opposed to merit. “It is by grace that you have been saved because you have faith”(Louw & Nida 1988:379 in Louw, JP, Nida, EA 1988. Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains. New York: United Bible Societies).

Compare Rom 4:4,5. Here, it is not grace that is being opposed to merit, but faith, for faith on its own is not a meritorious work, therefore it is according to grace. In other words, it is not grace because God imparts faith, but because faith has no inherent meritorious character. God knows this, and therefore he has made this the way in which man can be saved. Therefore, the way of faith on its own equals grace.

Here in Eph 2:8, the same principle applies. Faith is the access to grace (Rom 5:2)

In Eph 2:8, the dia pistewjrefers to the manner of salvation: through faith. Therefore, general terms are used here (dia+ Accusative). The emphasis is not primarily on the action of the faith of the individual here, but on the way of salvation, the intention of God that is being revealed in Christ, and this was not thought up by man. The intention of God to save people through their faith, without merit, is in all aspects a reflection of God’s pure grace. It is in totality a gift from God wherein all people can share.

Apostasy of believers

Responsible exegesis of Heb 6:4-6 shows that it is indeed possible for believers to fall out of the grace of God. It has to do with believers, for it speaks of people who:

1. became enlightened

2. have tasted of the heavenly gift

3. were made partakers of the Holy Spirit

4. have tasted the good Word of God

5. and (have tasted) the powers of the world to come.

Believers are being addressed in this letter anyway. Compare Heb 10:26,29; 12:3,14.

Most Reformed theologians deny the possibility that a believer can become apostate. Some do leave this possibility open (on the ground of Heb 6:4-6), but it creates the following inevitable problems:

1. If such a possibility is left open, and one wants to hold onto imparted faith, it means that God did something at man’s salvation that did not essentially transformed him. It places a question mark behind the integrity of the faith that God would have imparted. God then imparts the gift of faith, but later takes it back!

2. If people can become apostate, after they have believed on the basis of their own choice, doesn’t man’s choice determine his destination after all?

The doctrine about the perseverance of the saints, also contradicts the doctrine of the banning in the church. This doctrine says that a Christian that has become apostate or went astray, may be cut off from the kingdom of God. How can this be reconciled with the rest of the Reformed theology? Does God impart the gift of faith to someone, but it can later be taken away by the church?

“Perseverance of the saints” (sanctificatio)

According to this doctrine, the elect are preserved or kept against apostasy: “Once a child of God – always a child of God.” This doctrine however delivers the following problems:

1. If one would hold onto the sovereign work of salvation of God in Christ without allowing the human choice to stand on its own regarding salvation and the Christian walk (sanctificatio), why does God not give to all Christians a certain theological understanding? Why do Christians think so differently? Is it because God imparts truth differently? Or is it because that that which you believe in, is determined by your own faith and your own choice?

2. If the doctrines of the unconditional election and the perseverance of the saints are calculated to its full consequence, it ends in a type of determinism, for the will of the sinner cannot choose any good, and the will of the believer cannot choose evil in such a way that it falls out of the grace. In both cases, the will of man is being determined by God’s will. God then “wills” on behalf of man before and after salvation. The result is that one cannot speak of a relationship between God and man in the true sense of the word.

Reactions: Ben johnson
Upvote 0
Ben johnson said:

Those who "practice sin", do not truly believe in Jesus. For "belief", is qualified with "receiving His indwelling presence, AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS."

There is a "head-knowledge-belief", that is not commitment; James condemns this in 2:19. It is only belief that RECEIVES Jesus that is saved (Jn1:12). The problem with your view, is that it denies clear words such as Heb3-4, which says that true belief can become deceived by sin, to UNBELIEF which falls away from God; there is a sincere warning to not imitate the unbelief and disobedience of the Israelites. Somehow in your paradigm, this "warning" is read as "not really possible".

I'm not sure how your understanding works...
one that believes may do sin but God will not let them practice sin ...
why? God promise displine to even physical death for a christian

practice sin is where one is characterised as a drunk, gossip, covetence, ect

instead of as a christian

have you read 1 cor where they are carnal... 1 cor 3:1-3
yet paul calls them sanctified [set apart] in 1 cor 1:2 even though they were sinning and he warns them to confess or disspline will come 1 cor 4:21

recieving the indwelling presences of God everyone that believes the Gossel gets

Not every christian chooses to use their riches in the heavenlies.... this is free will

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
PCWilkins said:
However, you still have it the wrong way round. In our old nature, we cannot produce any good thing. That includes faith. In order for faith to be 'produced' in us, we need to be given a new nature - to be born again.
"All spiders have eight legs.
This creature has eight legs.
Therefore, this creature is a spider."

I forget the "logical fallacy" that this is, but it seems reflected in your statement:
"Depraved man can produce no good thing.
Saving-faith is a good thing.
Therefore unsaved man cannot believe."

The problem is that Scripture says otherwise.

"The word of the Cross is to those who are perishing, foolishness. God has made foolish the wisdom of the world. For the world's wisdom did not come to know God --- but God was well-pleased, THROUGH the foolishness of the message preached, to save those who BELIEVE." 1Cor1:18-21

You see "man cannot believe in a vacuum" --- and I agree, he can't. But you miss that "Jesus calls EVERYONE to Himself" (Jn12:32). With this call, Jesus brings man to the Door. He can then enter through Jesus, or turn away.

"No one comes to God unless God draws him" --- but God draws all men.
"A man can hear the Gospel, and though it is foolishness he can believe" (changing his perception of it from FOOLISH to POWER).
So the logical conclusion of your argument is that, since Jesus must have died for everyone's sins (just in case everyone produces faith) then everyone will go to heaven.
It is true that "one sacrifice paid for all sins for all time" (Heb10:12). But it is equally true that "repentance is required".

"Unless you repent, you WILL perish." Lk13:3
So God is unsure about who is going to have faith.
It's not that He's "unsure", for we are "foreknown". But if faith is by our own volition --- do you s'pose that's why Peter wrote 2:3:9? "God does not decree (boulemai) anyone to perish, but patiently waits/makes-room-for (choreo) all to come to repentance."

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Fru said:
What you still have not grasped is that their being unwilling is why they are incapable. Man's desire (and thus his willingness) is such that he will NEVER, apart from the work of the Holy Spirit, incline himself to God.
Actually, this is true. What if the Holy Spirit really works in the hearts of ALL, in delivering the "call to salvation" to everyone?
His will is free in that he has the ability to choose according to his desire without coercion.
This is a perspective I do not understand. You balk at the word, "coercion"; but in the same breath assert "man's will is inexorably dictated by his predestined nature" --- if his nature is dictated by God, how is his will not also dicated by God?
But his will is in slavery to a heart that is inclined to evil. Until and unless that desire is changed, they are incapable of believing because they are wholly unwilling to.
Have you ever read Romans 6?
"Consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body that you should obey its lusts, do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Never! Do you not know that when you present yourselves as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one you obey --- either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, became slaves of righteousness."

Doesn't it read clearly that "being slaves to sin, OR slaves to righteousness, is continual choice"? And who actually makes that choice --- the man (in responding to His teaching), or God (in unilaterally changing his heart)? It says, "though you were slaves of sin" --- this is before he is regenerated --- "you became obedient from the heart" --- this is belief from his own heart, NOT God's unilateral changing-of-ig --- and having been freed from sin became slaves of righteousness --- belief in the teaching, changes his heart; not vice-versa.
No, you have not, and that was my point. You dodged the main thrust of my comment, which was to challenge you to provide an explanation as to why the Scriptures are effective for one and not another, because the Scriptures alone are clearly not enough.
I think I have. Titus3:5 speaks of "the washing of regeneration". This is the regeneration, the one regeneration of our hearts.

It says, "regeneration is through the POURED Spirit".

It says, "the Spirit was poured through OUR SAVIOR Jesus".

Acts10-11 says "the Spirit was poured AFTER BELIEF."

There is no two "poureds", only one. "Ekcheo" in both passages. Regeneration is after belief. How can you deny it?
So you come in here talking about bad teaching in our churches, and then you try to separate the New Covenant from the Old such as the Old becomes irrelevant?
The old is not irrelevant. It founds the new. But though we are not bound by Law, we are still obligated to uphold it. Now grace changes the heart, which follows Law; then following law changed the heart...
BTW, do you agree with my assertion regarding the key word?
Technically correct --- true saved-love will be in fellowship with God, it is an undeniable aspect. And yet, "fellowship" defines the love, espouses the structure of saved-love.
In your mind perhaps, but that's because you have an obsession with salvific insecurity. To me "backslidden" means "failing for a time to actively progress in sanctification and regressing to a limited extent in behavior." It's neither a full nor a final "fall" into apostasy, simply a period of stumbling.
"Backslidden" means "sinning". There is no "limited-extent-sinning", just as there is no "partially pregnant". As a woman is either "pregnant or NOT", we are either dead to sin and alive in Him, or alive to sin and dead to Him.

Dead to sin means "not practicing" --- if we sin, we abide in repentance and walk not in sin but in righteousness. Backslidden does not abide in repentance (or the sin would not repent), backslidden walks in sin.
Dodging the question. YOU said being saved is being indwelt by the Holy Spirit, not belief. So, if the OT saints were not indwelt by the Holy Spirit but merely believed, then you must either revise your statement or agree that OT saints weren't saved.
Was there a covenant change between then and now?
Again, you're dodging the point. You said even if they can believe they can't be saved because they've "already been judged." I don't remember participating in that, even though I'm told I would.
The "judgment" is the formality of the path already chosen. Do you believe that those who have rejected Christ will be judged at the Final Judgment? Obviously they will. And yet, "he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the hame of the only begotten Son of God." Jn3:18
Your "salvation is fellowship" doctrine is hooey, Ben. Fellowship is a benefit and blessing of salvation...but it is not salvation itself.
Do you think there is "salvation without fellowship between God and man"?
Boy, if that isn't assuming your conclusion....
Assuming nothing. Re-stating 1Cor1:18-21, Titus3:5-6, Acts10:45 & 11:15-17.
That is a very, very weak attempt to explain a way a verse that mortally wounds your position, Ben.
I gave you Ezk18:24; irrefutible. You seek to make the case of "NEVER KNEW YOU" in Matt7 that all who are cast away were NEVER-SAVED --- the same as you seek to make the case that all who go out FROM us were never saved in 1Jn2:19. But the first "seek" denies the "fallen" of Rev2:5; and the second, denies the "go too far and not abide in Jesus' teachings" of 2Jn1:7-9.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Moonbeam said:
You are reluctant to choose between never were saved and saved but fell....WHY?
Both exist. There are those who "were never of us" (1Jn2:19), and there are those who "were of us but go too far and not-abide in Jesus' teachings, so as to no longer have God. 2Jn1:7-9
These persons in v22 prophesied, cast out devils and did many wonderful works in His Name ...... How can Jesus say "I NEVER knew you".....your response Ben?
I proposed an understanding that says "they once were saved". Whether they were or not, the current state is clear --- "practicing wickedness".

If Matt7:23 is about "those who were never saved", that does not remove all the other verses that speak of "saved but fell".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
what sin did God not pay for for them to lose their salvation.
Jesus died for ALL SIN for ALL TIME. Heb10:12 And yet, repentance is required, and charged to us. Unrepented sin is unforgiven, A_Brother.
did God not do what he said he would do?
That is the debate between us --- what did God say He would do?

Did God say "I will save those I CHOOSE"?
Or did God say, "I will save he who believes"?
man fails . God never fails!
True. And look at how Paul words it:
"If we endure, we shall reign with Him;
if we deny Him, He also will deny us (and we will not reign with Him);
If we are faithless, He remains faithful (though we perish;
For He cannot deny Himself." 2Tim2:11-13

the only sin that sends a person to hell is unbelief no actions ben john 16:9[/quote]

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
pcwilkins said:
So Jesus didn't die for anyone's unbelief? So if I used to be an unbeliever, I have no chance of salvation, because that is a sin that cannot be atoned for?
Unbelief does condemn. "He who does not believe, has been judged already, because he has not believed in the only begotten Son of God." Jn3:19
"He who has disbelieved shall be condemned" Mk16:16.

Unbelief cannot be "atoned-for"; it must change to belief, before it is forgiven.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
ABIC said:
have you read 1 cor where they are carnal... 1 cor 3:1-3
yet paul calls them sanctified [set apart] in 1 cor 1:2 even though they were sinning and he warns them to confess or discipline will come 1 cor 4:21
A_Brother, how can I convince you that "continued-sin" (unrepentance) cannot be saved? Yes He disciplines His children; but look at Heb12:
If you are WITHOUT discipline (refuse it, see 12:25), then you are illegitimate children and not sons. We had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them. SHALL we not much rather BE subject to the Father of spirits, and live?"

In 1Jn3:7-10, he writes: "Those who do not practice righteousness, are not of God."

There is no "exception" or "waiver", A_Brother. As Paul conveys in Romans 6, "we are either alive in Him and dead to sin, or alive to sin and dead to Jesus."

Upvote 0

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
Ben johnson said:
I proposed an understanding that says "they once were saved".
Not possible.....if they were once saved (according to Arminian theory) then they must have been indwelt by the Spirit and the Lord...meaning they shared union with Christ....which would mean that Jesus's words "I NEVER knew you" were not true....we know the Lord can not lie so we don't need to waste our time with that theory......as a side note - your explanation to Fru quoting Ez18:24... isn't very, very weak as Fru put it...its much worse than that.
If Matt7:23 is about "those who were never saved",
Considering that Jesus said "I NEVER knew you" this is the only logical conclusion....Which means that there are people in the church, who appear "saved"... who prophesy, cast out devils and do many wonderful works in Jesus name....and when they meet the Lord they will remind him of that fact....these persons believe and confess Christ as Lord, are active in the church... and have NEVER had a personal union with Christ.......Ben..when scripture speaks of those who fall away and perish, who do not perservere, don't you think it is these persons in view...in every case?
that does not remove all the other verses that speak of "saved but fell".
No it doesn't....but it does provide a logical explanation for them.

:) peace in Christ :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.