United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The lake of fire is the second death
Revelation 20:14

King James Bible
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
New King James Version
Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them
Revelation 20:13

King James Bible
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
New King James Version
The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.

The living know that they will die; But the dead know nothing
Ecclesiastes 9:5

New King James Version
For the living know that they will die; But the dead know nothing, And they have no more reward, For the memory of them is forgotten.

There is no activity, planning, knowledge, or wisdom in Sheol - the grave - where you are going
Ecclesiastes 9:10

New King James Version
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.

New American Standard Bible
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity, planning, knowledge, or wisdom in Sheol where you are going.

Through Adam all die
1 Corinthians 15:22

New King James Version
For as in Adam all die...

Romans 5:12

New King James Version
Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned

Anyone not found written in the Book of Life is cast into the lake of fire, which is the second death
Revelation 20:9-15

New King James Version
And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Summary
The first death leaves no one a choice. Through Adam, all persons are dying.

scary-scene-with-grim-reaper-cemetery_808092-2813.jpg

With the second death, we have a choice - Make certain our names are found written in the book of life.

Revelation 20:12
New King James Version
And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

Did you know?
Hell (Hades / Sheol) is a place of eternal torment.

What are the books of life?

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
For the memory of them is forgotten.
It does not take very long for people to be forgotten. I know my grandfather and my great grandfather.
Beyond that they are pretty much forgotten and no one remembers them.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It does not take very long for people to be forgotten. I know my grandfather and my great grandfather.
Beyond that they are pretty much forgotten and no one remembers them.
That's true. Though not forgotten entirely.
Thankfully God does not forget, and we are in God's memory.
Hence, we can be certain of being brought back when all things are made new. John 5:28
I look forward to that.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thankfully God does not forget,
We are told Hebrew 12:8 I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE.”

I think about this all the time. We are told: "Nothing is impossible for God" but we have to read this in context. There are LOTS of things impossible for God. He cannot lie, cheat, steal or be unfaithful or unJust. The list goes on and on for what God cannot do.

• Agree
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are told that Enoch and Elijah did not die. They were taken up like Jesus. Some people believe there were more.
Yes, that's what we are told, but it's not true. So, I would not believe that if I were you.
No one went to heaven before Jesus did. Christ is the firstfruit, and his flesh opened entry to heaven. 1 Corinthians 15:20; Hebrews 10:19, 20

In fact, if I were you, I'd bury that idea they pounded in our heads since the 2nd century, that all good people go to heaven.
The Bible does not teach that.
Rather, the Bible teaches that only a few righteous persons go to heaven, and they go for the purpose of ruling, and being priests of the multitude of righteous who will live on, and make up the new earth.

This will include, Enoch, Elijah, David, Joseph, Samuel, Ruth, Esther, Gideon, and many others which would make this list too long to write. :)

I plan on making a new thread - "Gone To Rest".
That's what Jesus said of the dead. They go to sleep/rest, until Jesus calls and awakens them.

From Abel to John the Baptist - They all died, and are resting.
Jesus died after, and was resurrected - the firstfruit from the dead 1 Corinthians 15:23; Colossians 1:18; Revelation 1:5, and he was given authority to raise the dead - John 5:19-29.

I know this is new to you, but that's because for years, the truth have not been told.
The 2nd century was the beginning of dark ages - the time of darkness, when the enemy sowed the weeds in among the wheat, while men slept.

188024-the-parable-of-the-tares-the-enemy_lg.gif

while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. Matthew 13:25

It was a time when there was a deliberate effort to hide the seeds of truth Jesus sowed.
Jesus said, let them be - Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.” Matthew 13:30

The wheat is being dispensed from those barns, as the good news of the kingdom is being preached in all the world, as a witness, before the end comes.
There is still time to respond, but as we can see, time is running out.
Accepting this is urgent.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that's what we are told, but it's not true. So, I would not believe that if I were you.
No one went to heaven before Jesus did. Christ is the firstfruit, and his flesh opened entry to heaven. 1 Corinthians 15:20; Hebrews 10:19, 20

In fact, if I were you, I'd bury that idea they pounded in our heads since the 2nd century, that all good people go to heaven.
The Bible does not teach that.
Rather, the Bible teaches that only a few righteous persons go to heaven, and they go for the purpose of ruling, and being priests of the multitude of righteous who will live on, and make up the new earth.

This will include, Enoch, Elijah, David, Joseph, Samuel, Ruth, Esther, Gideon, and many others which would make this list too long to write. :)

I plan on making a new thread - "Gone To Rest".
That's what Jesus said of the dead. They go to sleep/rest, until Jesus calls and awakens them.

From Abel to John the Baptist - They all died, and are resting.
Jesus died after, and was resurrected - the firstfruit from the dead 1 Corinthians 15:23; Colossians 1:18; Revelation 1:5, and he was given authority to raise the dead - John 5:19-29.

I know this is new to you, but that's because for years, the truth have not been told.
The 2nd century was the beginning of dark ages - the time of darkness, when the enemy sowed the weeds in among the wheat, while men slept.

188024-the-parable-of-the-tares-the-enemy_lg.gif

while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. Matthew 13:25

It was a time when there was a deliberate effort to hide the seeds of truth Jesus sowed.
Jesus said, let them be - Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.” Matthew 13:30

The wheat is being dispensed from those barns, as the good news of the kingdom is being preached in all the world, as a witness, before the end comes.

responding to and accepting Truth/Christ is not something we can do of ourselves, which brings the whole running out of time doctrine into question ...

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

responding to and accepting Truth/Christ is not something we can do of ourselves, which brings the whole running out of time doctrine into question ...
I understand, not everyone will see, because of their heart.

However, that still leaves a lot at us.
First, we need to humble ourselves. 1 Peter 5:6
We need to search for the truth, and once we find it - Matthew 7:13, 14, we need to put forth every effort to strive toward the goal of everlasting life. Luke 13:24
Then, we need to endure to the end. Matthew 24:13

God said, I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; Deuteronomy 30:19
So, the choice is ours.

That's a lot at us, wouldn't you agree?
However, I agree it depends on our heart, which God see, and only draws those with right hearts. John 6:44

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand, not everyone will see, because of their heart.

However, that still leaves a lot at us.
First, we need to humble ourselves. 1 Peter 5:6
We need to search for the truth, and once we find it - Matthew 7:13, 14, we need to put forth every effort to strive toward the goal of everlasting life. Luke 13:24
Then, we need to endure to the end. Matthew 24:13

God said, I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; Deuteronomy 30:19
So, the choice is ours.

That's a lot at us, wouldn't you agree?
However, I agree it depends on our heart, which God see, and only draws those with right hearts. John 6:44

we are all ( bar none) already one with God ( albeit this hidden from us in this time/great gulf ) to think otherwise speaks to the perception of lack, which is the gospel of the serpent ... a laboring by thought to be ... or an attempt to come to God in ones own name and not His ...

it is the tares/thoughts/seed of the enemy/serpent that He removes from His garden, and we as His Son this garden He abides in ...

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we are all ( bar none) already one with God ( albeit this hidden from us in this time/great gulf ) to think otherwise speaks to the perception of lack, which is the gospel of the serpent ... a laboring by thought to be ... or an attempt to come to God in ones own name and not His ...

it is the tares/thoughts/seed of the enemy/serpent that He removes from His garden, and we as His Son this garden He abides in ...
This is the Exposition & Bible Study sub-forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
what we are told, but it's not true.
Elijah: In 2 Kings 2:11 (New International Version), it describes Elijah's departure: "As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind." This account implies a miraculous and supernatural departure of Elijah without experiencing death.

What is your understanding of this passage? There is no mention of there being a body left behind.

Rather, the Bible teaches that only a few righteous persons go to heaven,
A few is one third.

Zechariah 13:9 "This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’”

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟407,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The truth is to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:8

2 Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body,
and to be present with the Lord.

Absent from the body...Many people quote this verse out of context.
This statement is a colloquialism that Paul used. Let's see this...

1Co 5:3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged
already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

Where was Paul? In spirit present in heaven? Nope, he was also not at
Corinth, but he was on the earth as a human being in the flesh.

Col 2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit,
joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

This verse clarifies what he meant by being absent from
the body (the church) but present in spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟407,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Elijah: In 2 Kings 2:11 (New International Version), it describes Elijah's departure: "As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind." This account implies a miraculous and supernatural departure of Elijah without experiencing death.

What is your understanding of this passage? There is no mention of there being a body left behind.
People say that Elijah ascended to heaven, which he did- but not to the
third heaven. He was taken by chariots of fire up into the first heaven
(ii Kings 2:11).

The Hebrew word used for heaven here is the same as in Genesis 2:1.

Elijah did not die during this experience. In fact, Elijah wrote a
letter to King Jehoram years after this event (ii Chron. 21:12).

Elijah was miraculously transported to another location on Earth.

In Heb. 4:14, the phrase “into the heavens,” is better translated
“through the heavens.” Jesus Christ passed through the first two
heavens as He ascended to the third heaven.

Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟407,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are told that Enoch and Elijah did not die.
Enoch is included by Paul (in Hebrews 11) among the
fathers who obtained a good report through faith; but
"these all, having obtained a good report through faith,
received not the promise" (Heb. 11:39). What promise?

The "hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie,
promised before the world began" (Titus 1:2).

Then in verse 13 Paul proved that they had not inherited the
promises by saying:"These all [including Enoch] died in faith."

But what about Paul's saying that Enoch "should not see death"?
Which Death Did Enoch Escape? Enoch did not escape the first death.
"should not see death" is in the future tense, not past tense.
Paul means he will escape the Second death in that verse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The "hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie,
promised before the world began" (Titus 1:2).
What I wonder about is the people who were resurrected when Jesus went to Calvery. They did inherit eternal life. I would think that they were taken up like Jesus was to Heaven.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sorry to respond so late. Either I didn't get a notification, or I missed your post.
Even if I didn't know from this scripture - 2 Chronicles 21:12 - that Elijah was alive somewhere on earth, after that event, I would know from numerous other scriptures that Elijah, or any person before the Messiah, did not go to heaven. John 3:13; Hebrews 9:8; Hebrews 10:19, 20; Romans 8:29; Colossians 1:18; 1 Corinthians 15:23; Revelation 1:5

A few is one third.

Zechariah 13:9 "This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’”
The remnant from the corrupt shepherds in Israel? Why would you think that has any relation to the heirs of the kingdom?
Whom did Jesus promise the kingdom?

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I wonder about is the people who were resurrected when Jesus went to Calvery. They did inherit eternal life. I would think that they were taken up like Jesus was to Heaven.
Whom do you think resurrected them?

Upvote 0