Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Post 1 Scripture, Are you copying and pasting from Ellen G Whites teachings ?
No I am posting the bible scriptures from God's Word and posting multiple scriptures above as you can see. Not really sure why you ask that question Billy. You can see I am only providing the scriptures here. All the scriptures provided there are the result of my own personal bible study in God's Word asking JESUS to be my guide and teacher *JOHN 14:26: JOHN 16:13 according to God's new covenanant promise *HEBREWS 8:11

HEBREWS 4:9 [9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH

Everyone of God's 10 commandments are repeated in the new testament (scriptures shown here click me including God's 4th commandment).

Hope this is helpful

Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No I am posting the bible scriptures from God's Word and posting multiple scriptures as you can see.

So you are writing all this yourself or are you copying and pasting from the doctrines of Ellen G White ? Im still waiting for you to post one Scripture from Jesus or the Apostles commanding us to follow the Seventh Day Sabbath like in the book of Exodus. You said it a commandment for a new covenant Christian so please show us Jesus or the Apostles commanding us ?

Post the Scriptures

Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
YOU SAID

Jesus taught others to follow the 10 commandments (Mark 10:17-21)

Actual Scripture where Jesus did not mention the Sabbath

Mark 10:17-21 (KJV)

17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So you are writing all this yourself or are you copying and pasting from the doctrines of Ellen G White ? Im still waiting for you to post one Scripture from Jesus or the Apostles commanding us to follow the Seventh Day Sabbath like in the book of Exodus. You said it a commandment for a new covenant Christian so please show us Jesus or the Apostles commanding us ?

If you are still waiting you have missed all the scriptures provided in post # 39 linked and ignoring the very posts you are quoting from, not to mention this post here that provides all of God's 10 commandments repeated in the new testament scriptres here ARE ALL THE 10 COMMANDMENTS IN THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT?

You are free to believe as you wish. I choose to believe Gods' Word over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God. We are all accountable to God come judgement day for the words of God we accept or reject *JOHN 12:47-48.

I only wish you well my friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
YOU SAID

Jesus taught others to follow the 10 commandments (Mark 10:17-21)

Actual Scripture where Jesus did not mention the Sabbath

Mark 10:17-21 (KJV)

17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

The first two thirds of post # 39 linked are JESUS and the APOSTLES teaching God's commandments collectively the last third of that post is specifically relating to God's 4th commandment. Have another look. There are 10 commandments in God's 10 commandments not 9 or 613. Bottom third of post # 39 linked showing some of the new testament scriptures in regards to God's 4th commandment Sabbath.

What did Jesus and the Apostles teach about the Sabbath in the New Testament?

1. It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56)
2. Jesus made the Sabbath for all mankind (Hebrews 1:2; John 1:1-3; 14; Ephesians 3:9; Colossians 1:16-17; Mark 2:27)
3. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28)
4. If you do not believe and follow God you cannot enter His Sabbath rest (Hebrews 4)
5. It is one of God’s 10 commandments we break it we are guilty or breaking all (James 2:8-12)
6. Breaking it is sin (1 John 3:4)
7. God’s true followers keep it Holy as God commanded (Rev 14:12; Rev 22:14; Eze 20:20)
8. Jesus is our example and he kept the Sabbath (Matt 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Ephesians 5:1-21; Peter 2:20-22)
9. The Apostle kept the Sabbath (Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelation 1:10)

God’s Law in the NC is written on our hearts it is through love and it is love the fulfils God’s Law in us as we walk not after the flesh but after the spirit and is why Jesus says f you love me keep my commandments. (John 14:15; John 15:10). If we knowingly break one of God’s commandments we commit sin (1 John 3:4). This includes the 7th Day Sabbath which Jesus made for us and commands us to keep as a holy day.

Hope this is helpful.

Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are still waiting you have missed post # 39 linked and ignoring the very posts you are quoting from, not to mention this post here that provides all of God's 10 commandments repeated in the new testament scriptres here ARE ALL THE 10 COMMANDMENTS IN THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT?

You are free to believe as you wish. I choose to believe Gods' Word over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God. We are all accountable to God come judgement day for the words of God we accept or reject *JOHN 12:47-48.

Amen we are free to believe

Romans 14:5-7 (KJV)

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Amen we are free to believe

Romans 14:5-7 (KJV)
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Not really Billy your misinterpreting the scriptures. Why? ROMANS 14 says nothing about Gods' 4th commandment. ROMANS 14 is in relation eating and not eating (fasting) on days that men esteem over other days and judging others in this regard. There is no reference to Gods' 4th commandment in all of ROMANS 14. In fact you will not find a single scripture in all of God's Word that says Gods' 4th commandment has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day. This is simply a teaching and tradition of men handed down to Christianity by the Roman Catholic Church. JESUS warns us about this in MATTHEW 15:2-9. According to the scriptures God's 4th commandment is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172 and if we break any one of them according to the scriptures we stand guilty before God "under the law" *ROMANS 3:19 or breaking the whole law *JAMES 2:10-11. Who should we believe and follow; God or man *ACTS 5:29; ROMANS 3:4? I believe the scriptures teach that God has his people in every church *JOHN 10:16 and many break His 4th commandment out of ignorance ACTS 17:30-31 but when he gives us a knowledge of the truth calls us to believe and follow His Word *JAMES 4:17. The hour is coming and now is that the true worshippers will worship God in Spirit and in truth. God is a Spirit and those who worship him must whorship him in Spirit and in truth *JOHN 4:23-24. God is calling his people out from following man made teachings and traditions that break the commandments of God back to the pure Word of God *MATTHEW 15:2-9; REVELATION 18:1-5. Who will hear the call to go out and meet the bridegroom?

Hope this is helpful

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Thank you. Does that mean i should not work on a Saturday even if my only focus is to be a light and draw others to Christ? Please let me know. Thanks.

It means you cannot go to work and take God's name in vain as a Christian -- even though you claim that your only focus is to be a light and draw others to Christ.

According to John.

1 John 2
4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked

Please show in the NEW TESTAMENT where Jesus or any of the Apostles commanded us to do any of what your saying ? ( meaning commanding us to follow a Saturday sabbath as in the book of Exodus )

1. No NT writer tells us not to take God's name in vain.
2. No NT writer tells us to drink water after meals or not to stare at the sun.
3. No NT writer tells us that the Bible has been deleted and we must "start over now" with scripture.
4. No person in the NT other than Christ in the Gospels tells us to "Love God with all your heart"
5. Christ in the gospels - was sinless - he kept the Law perfectly.
6. 1 John 2 tells us that if we love Christ we are to walk as He walked... in obedience not in rebellion against the Word of God.

Even the most well known Christian scholars in all denominations admit that God's Ten Commandments - all ten - are included in the moral law of God written on the heart.

And that includes -

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism.
-- and many others

No wonder Paul says that the 5th commandment "is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 in that still-valid unit of TEN.

Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 14 King James Version (KJV)
14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

In the context of the whole Chapter, he talks about JUDGING your brother in regards to what you eat or what day you observe. The very thing your doing which your not meant to do saying its sinful to not observe a day.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14 King James Version (KJV)
14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

In the context of the whole Chapter, he talks about JUDGING your brother in regards to what you eat or what day you observe. The very thing your doing which your not meant to do saying its sinful to not observe a day.

Indeed, did you want to show me the scripture where ROMANS 14 is talking about God's 4th commandment Sabbath? Your trying to read into the scriptures something the scriptures do not say. ROMANS 14 says nothing about Gods' 4th commandment. ROMANS 14 is in relation eating and not eating (fasting) on days that men esteem over other days and judging others in this regard. There is no reference to Gods' 4th commandment in all of ROMANS 14.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it ‘Today’. This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:

‘Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.’

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day.
9 So there is a special rest still waiting for the people of God. 10 For all who have entered into God’s rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world. 11 So let us do our best to enter that rest. But if we disobey God, as the people of Israel did, we will fall.

It says we can enter that rest TODAY. Well, today is Friday. That creates a conundrum now doesn't it? The fact is the Israelites did rest on the Sabbath, but the writer of Hebrews tells us they never entered God's rest. God's rest is still awaiting us and it is today, not Saturday or Sunday. The verse in Quotes is a misnomer and if we listen to the one who copied and pasted it we will be going down the wrong road. I know because I once went down that road with the prophet leading me. Thank the Lord I found the real truth.

Be very careful when you read what some write. As you can see so plainly the verse in quotes is completely misleading.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, did you want to show me the scripture where ROMANS 14 is talking about God's 4th commandment Sabbath? Your trying to read into the scrip

I post Scripture but im still waiting for you to post the command in SCRIPTURE from the New Testament that literally commands us to follow a seventh-day Saturday sabbath. I just posted a Scripture showing you that its lawful to esteem EVERYDAY alike

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I post Scripture but im still waiting for you to post the command in SCRIPTURE from the New Testament that literally commands us to follow a seventh-day Saturday sabbath. I just posted a Scripture showing you that its lawful to esteem EVERYDAY alike
Sorry Billy you have provided no scripture in ROMANS 14 that is a reference to God's 4th commandment Sabbath. The reason why I asked you is because there is no scripture. You have already been posted the scriptures from the new testament in relation to God's 4th commandment Sabbath if you disagree perhaps you can prove why you disagree. Ignoring God's Word does not make it disappear in my view, it only become our judge come judgment day *JOHN 12:47-48.

Thanks for the discussion but perhaps we should agree to disagree. I wish you well. As posted earlier; If you are still waiting you have missed or simply ignored all the scriptures provided in post # 39 linked and ignoring the very posts you are quoting from, not to mention this post here that provides all of God's 10 commandments repeated in the new testament scriptres here ARE ALL THE 10 COMMANDMENTS IN THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT?

You are free to believe as you wish. I choose to believe Gods' Word over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God that JESUS warns us about in MATTHEW 15:2-9.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it ‘Today’. This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:

‘Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.’

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day.
9 So there is a special rest still waiting for the people of God. 10 For all who have entered into God’s rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world. 11 So let us do our best to enter that rest. But if we disobey God, as the people of Israel did, we will fall.

It says we can enter that rest TODAY. Well, today is Friday. That creates a conundrum now doesn't it? The fact is the Israelites did rest on the Sabbath, but the writer of Hebrews tells us they never entered God's rest. God's rest is still awaiting us and it is today, not Saturday or Sunday. The verse in Quotes is a misnomer and if we listen to the one who copied and pasted it we will be going down the wrong road. I know because I once went down that road with the prophet leading me. Thank the Lord I found the real truth.

Be very careful when you read what some write. As you can see so plainly the verse in quotes is completely misleading.

I am really not sure what your trying to say here Bob. For me though HEBREWS 4 is very clear on it's meanings. The CONTEXT that I believe you ignore here is HEBREWS 4:1-5 which is discussing GOD'S REST the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH with reference back to GENENSIS 2:1-3. That is the REST we are to enter into. Those that did not enter into GOD'S REST (SEVENTH DAY SABBATH) did not enter into God's REST because of SIN and UNBELIEF in the gosple of God's WORD.

HEBREWS 4:1-11
[1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into HIS REST, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3], For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into MY REST: ALTHOUGH THE WORKS WERE FINISHED FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.
[4], FOR HE SPOKE IN A CERTAIN PLACE (GENSIS 2:1-3) OF THE SEVENTH DAY ON THIS WISE, AND GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS.
[5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into MY REST.

NOTE
: CONTEXT is God's REST from the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST OF CREATION (v4-5) and those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW GOD's WORD enter into God's SABBATH REST as GOD did on the SEVENTH DAY of the week. CONTEXT is GOD's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST and those who BELIEVE AND FOLLOW GOD'S WORD enter into that rest which God's WORD defines as the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH which is GOD'S REST! Let's continue...

6], Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7], Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8], For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

Now notice Hebrews 4, verse 9: “There remains therefore a SABBATH rest to the people of God.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismos means “a keeping of the Sabbath (noun).” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.” Sabbatizo is the verb form of sabbatismos

[10], For he that is entered into HIS REST (v9 God's SABBATH REST), he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his.[11], LET US LABOR THEREFORE TO ENTER INTO THAT REST (God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST), lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief (HEBREWS 3).

CONCLUSION
: HEBREWS 4 is talking about the Gospel rest of BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD; v29 Learn of me; v30 my burden (doing) is light. This agrees with Hebrews 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. HEBREWS 4:1-11 is in reference to GOD'S REST which God's WORD defines is the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH which is the CONTEXT shown in HEBREWS 4:1-5. HEBREWS 4 therefore with context added is saying that no one enter God's Sabbath rest if they do not BELIEVE AND FOLLOW God's WORD.

GREEK INTERLINEAR
HEBREWS 4:9 άρα (Then) απολείπεται (there is left) σαββατισμός (a Sabbath rest) τω (to the) λαώ (people) του θεού (of God)

STRONGS LEXICON
So ἄρα (ara) Conjunction Strong's Greek 686: Then, therefore, since. Probably from airo; a particle denoting an inference more or less decisive.
there remains ἀπολείπεται (apoleipetai) Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular Strong's Greek 620: From apo and leipo; to leave behind; by implication, to forsake. a Sabbath rest σαββατισμὸς (sabbatismos) Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest. From a derivative of sabbaton; a 'sabbatism', i.e. the repose of Christianity. for the τῷ () Article - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the. people λαῷ (laō) Noun - Dative Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2992: Apparently a primary word; a people.
of God. Θεοῦ (Theou) Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular Strong's Greek 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

STRONGS CONCORDENCE
sabbatismos: a sabbath rest Definition: a sabbath rest Usage (DOING): a keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.

ENGLISHMAN'S CONCORDANCE
Hebrews 4:9 N-NMS GRK: ἄρα ἀπολείπεται σαββατισμὸς τῷ λαῷ NAS: there remains a Sabbath rest for the people KJV: therefore a rest to the people INT: Then remains a sabbath rest to the people

HEBREWS 4:9 [9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all friendly discussion please.

Some try to claim that the Sabbath given at creation is a claim that is not true but is that the truth according to the scriptures? I would like to examine this in detail to show why the Sabbath was indeed given to mankind at creation and this was the reason God made the Sabbath.

So the question we are considering here is...

1. WAS THE SABBATH GIVEN TO MANKIND AT CREATION?
2. WHY DID GOD MAKE THE SABBATH?

Let's start with the scriptures showing when God made the seventh day Sabbath and see why it was made and who it was made for and connect all the scriptures starting in GENESIS...

WHERE IS THE SABBATH IN GENESIS 2:1-3?

GOD's 4th Commandment is refering to GENESIS 2:1-3 in EXODUS 20:8-11.

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And ON THE SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and he RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY: because that in it he had RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] from all his work which God created and made.

Links to God’s 4th Commandment

EXODUS 20:8-11 [8], REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY, TO KEEP IT HOLY [Made Holy at creation GENESIS 2:3]. [9], Six days shall you labor, and do all your work: [10], But THE SEVENTH DAY [ Genesis 2:1-3] IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD YOUR GOD : in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates: [WHY?] [11], FOR IN SIX DAYS THE LORD MADE HEAVEN AND EARTH, THE SEA, AND ALL THAT IS IN THEM IS, AND RESTED THE SEVENTH DAY; WHEREFORE THE LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY. [Refering to GENESIS 2:1-3]

Look at the HEBREW WORD meanings again...

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And ON THE SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and he RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY: because that in it he had RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] from all his work which God created and made.

The Hebrew word for RESTED used here is שׁבת; shâbath (H7673). It's meaning is; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, KEEP SABBATH, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

שׁבת; shâbath or REST (H7673) is the ORIGIN or ROOT word for שׁבּת; shabbâth (H7676) which is used in God's 4th commandments translated into english as SABBATH. The HEBREW Word for shabbâth meaing is the intermission between SABBATHS or shâbath (H7673) REST or the continuation meaing from one SABBATH REST to the Next SABBATH REST continuation or EVERY SABBATH. It's application is in God's 4th commandment EXODUS 20:8 is to REMEMBER [EVERY] Sabbath [shabbâth H7676].

In the 4th commandment *EXODUS 20:8-11; v11 tells us the ORIGINS of God's 4th commandments Sabbath is in reference to GENESIS 2:1-3 and the reason why it is given as a memorial of Greation to whorship God as the creator of Heaven and Earth.

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - H7673
REST
from GENESIS 2:1-3 שׁבת shâbath A primitive root; to REPOSE, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, CELEBRATE, cause (make) to fail, KEEP SABBATH, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) REST, rid, still, take away.

REST is the root word verb for SABBATH KEEPING. SABBATH is the noun of what is being kept.

Note here in GENESIS 2:1-3 that it was in the creation week when God had finished his creation in six days that He rested on the SEVENTH DAY of the week from all His Work that he had made and He "SET APART" the seventh day of the week and "BLESSED" the seventh day" and made the seventh day a "HOLY DAY" of rest. The seventh day SABBATH therefore according to the scriptures is "GOD'S REST"

In the Hebrew the word for "REST" used in GENESIS 2:1-3 is the root word of "SABBATH which is a noun or discription of what is being RESTED. The Hebrew word used here for "REST" is the verb for Sabbath keeping while the Hebrew word for Sabbath is simply the noun of what is being kept by "RESTING". The verb REST or RESTING is how the SABBATH is kept (שׁבת; shâbath (H7673).

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong -
RESTED 7673
. שָׁבַת shâbath, shaw-bath´; a prim. root; to repose, i.e. desist from exertion; used in many impl. relations (caus., fig. or spec.):—(cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep or observe the sabbath, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

The HEBREW word for REST (שָׁבַת shâbath) is the verb of how the SABBATH (שַׁבָּת shabbâth) noun is to be kept which is by RESTING from our works while what is being rested is the noun which is the SABBATH.

The word RESTED used above in Genesis 2 is the root word used in the 4th Commandment. This word means to "KEEP SABBATH" to desist from exertion [context is work or ending work and blessing and making the SEVENTH DAY a HOLY DAY].

The reason why the SABBATH was made was not because God needed rest but for mankind to remember and celebrate God as the God of creation. JESUS in His own Words as the God of creation says this in His own words here...

MARK 2:27 [27], And he said to them, THE SABBATH WAS MADE FOR MAN and not man for the Sabbath.

The Greek word used here for MAN is G444 ἄνθρωπος; anthrōpos From G435 and ὤψ ōps (the countenance ; from G3700); manfaced, that is, a human being: - certain, man.

JESUS tells has that the Sabbath was made for mankind on the "SEVENTH DAY" of the creation week. JESUS is the LORD of the SABBATH *MARK 2:28 and commands His people to "REMEMBER" the Sabbath which is the "SEVENTH DAY" of the week and to keep the "SEVENTH DAY" of the week as a "HOLY DAY OF REST" as a memorial of creation and a celebration of JESUS as the God of creation in EXODUS 20:8-11. Lets look at the links in God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments to GENESIS 2:1-3 of when the seventh day Sabbath was created and link this back to the new testament scriptures...

EXODUS 20:8-11 [8], REMEMBER the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> [Because JESUS made it a Holy day of rest for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day] [9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: [10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God [This is a direct reference from God's Word defining what the Sabbath is; The SABBATH = the SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK]: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY> [11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

The reason for the Sabbath Commandment is to REMEMBER the God of creation. He rested on the SEVENTH DAY of the WEEK, BLESSED the SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK and made it a HOLY DAY that no work is to be done. v11 Refers back to Genesis 2:1-3 and the origin of the Sabbath. v8 shows that this commandment is a MEMORIAL of creation v11 [the reason for the 4th commandment].

Summary of the above is simply that GENESIS 2:1-3 is the origin of when God made the Sabbath for all mankind according to the words of JESUS. RESTING on the Sabbath from our work is SABBATH KEEPING or how the Sabbath is kept. As we from the heart obey Gods' 4th commandment we enter into Gods' REST of the "seventh day Sabbath"
GENESIS 2:1-3 is INDEED the ORIGIN of the SABBATH (First Sabbath). It is the SEVENTH DAY of creation that God blessed, set apart and made a HOLY DAY for all mankind. Nearly every section of GENESIS 2:1-3 is repeated in EXODUS 20:8-11 of God's 4th commandment as the reason why we are to REMEMBER God's Sabbath.

This links directly into the new testament scriptures of believing the gospel of our Lord JESUS Christ here...

HEBREWS 4:1-11
[1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into HIS REST, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3], For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into MY REST: ALTHOUGH THE WORKS WERE FINISHED FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.
[4], FOR HE SPOKE IN A CERTAIN PLACE (GENSIS 2:1-3) OF THE SEVENTH DAY ON THIS WISE, AND GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS.
[5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into MY REST.

NOTE
: CONTEXT is God's REST from the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST OF CREATION (v4-5) and those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW GOD's WORD enter into God's SABBATH REST as GOD did on the SEVENTH DAY of the week. CONTEXT is GOD's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST and those who BELIEVE AND FOLLOW GOD'S WORD enter into that rest which God's WORD defines as the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH which is GOD'S REST!

The scriptures show that God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH according to the very words of JESUS was made for mankind at the seventh day of the creation week. While mankind was made on the sixth day of the creation week. ADAM and EVE where the first to keep God's SABBATH.

God bless.
You have filled us with the law, now be filled with His Holy Spirit.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Law is fulfilled through love by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 13:10-14 (KJV)
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.​

On Saturdays are you focused on trying to not break the sabbath rules or are you focused on loving others ?

Are you focused on trying to follow rules in order to be righteous or preaching Jesus to others ?

Sabbath observance makes it all about you as your observing sabbath rules in order to have righteousness from your works of observance instead of Jesus Blood.

By the way im a million miles of being unselfish but I believe the Bible teaches that Jesus is our sabbath rest.

• Useful
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Law is fulfilled through love by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 13:10-14 (KJV)
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.​

On Saturdays are you focused on trying to not break the sabbath rules or are you focused on loving others ?

Are you focused on trying to follow rules in order to be righteous or preaching Jesus to others ?

Sabbath observance makes it all about you as your observing sabbath rules in order to have righteousness from your works of observance instead of Jesus Blood

Not at all Billy. The law is fulfilled and ESTABLISHED though faith that works by love *ROMANS 13:8-10; MATTHEW 22:36-40; ROMANS 3:31; ROMANS 8:1-4; HEBREWS 8:10 not abolished. It's all about a new heart to love through faith *HEBREWS 8:10. Love fulfills and establsihes God's LAW in the heart of those who believe and follow God's Words and walk in His Spirit *ROMANS 8:4; GALATIANS 5:16; MATTHEW 22:26-40. Love establsihes Gods LAW through faith *ROMANS 3:31; ROMANS 13:8-10 it does not abolish God's LAW. Sin which is defined as breaking Gods LAW *1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11 is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 JOHN 3:6-10 and why JESUS says If you love me keep my commandments *JOHN 14:15 and again "On these two great commandments of love to God and love to man hang all the law and the prophets *MATTHEW 22:36-40.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not at all Billy, it's all about a new heart to love. Love fulfills and establsihes God's LAW in the heart of those who believe and follow God's Words and walk in His Spirit *ROMANS 8:4; GALATIANS 5:16. Love establsihes Gods LAW through faith *ROMANS 3:31; ROMANS 13:8-10 it does not abolish God's LAW. Sin which is defined as breaking Gods LAW *1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11 is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 JOHN 3:6-10 and why JESUS says If you love me keep my commandments *JOHN 14:15.

Love establishes God's law and God's Law is about Love and we love God by Faith in Jesus loving our neighbor as ourselves.

Romans 10(KJV)

10 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Love establishes God's law and God's Law is about Love and we love God by Faith in Jesus loving our neighbor as ourselves.

Romans 10(KJV)

10 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Indeed. No one has said, beleives or are saying we are saved by the law Billy so the scriptures your providing here are not relevant to the discussion here. We are saved by GRACE through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God *EPHESIANS 2:8. All those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will not enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of God's work in us as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *JAMES 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50. We are all sick with sin and need a Physician *MATTHEW 9:12-13. JESUS says arise take up your bed and walk. I believe him. How about you?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.