THE SABBATH IS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT - WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS IT IS ABOLISHED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So what do you do with the rest of the laws? What do you do with the rest of the laws in the book of Moses besides the ones dealing with sacrifice? We know for instance what you do with the clean and unclean laws. What about the rest? The covenant was not just the ten and the laws for remission of sin. It was all the law. So what do you do with the rest?
Maybe this is a good topic for another thread? The OP here is in relation to God's 4th Commandment and where in God's WORD does it say it is Abolished. Happy to discuss it in another thread with you.

Glad we agree.

Yes me too, I was not really sure if you believed God's 4th Commandment was to be kept or not. Thanks for sharing here :oldthumbsup:

But Jesus says He did not come to do away with the law and prophets. But you seem only concerned with the dietary laws and the ten. What about the rest of them?

Many laws in the OLD COVENANT are shadow laws fulfilled in Christ. God's LAW however is eternal and give is a knowledge of sin and righteousness is (Good and evil).

SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE CLICK ME

The other moral laws in the OLD COVENANT are still relavant for today as are the health laws that can be applied to today (not specific to that time period)

I have mainly focussed on God's 10 commandment and the MOSAIC shadow laws for remission of sin here and in other places because most people do not know what the shadows are and think that the OLD Covenant only consists of God's 10 Commandments.

As a result when they read the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures they think God's eternal LAW * 10 Commandments have been abolished but in nearly all cases the NT scriptures are a reference to the shadow laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant and NOT the 10 Commandments which give us a KNOWLEDGE of what sin is.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The other moral laws in the OLD COVENANT are still relavant for today as are the health laws that can be applied to today (not specific to that time period)
Thank you for clarifying.

I have mainly focussed on God's 10 commandment and the MOSAIC shadow laws for remission of sin here and in other places because most people do not know what the shadows are and think that the OLD Covenant only consists of God's 10 Commandments.

As a result when they read the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures they think God's eternal LAW * 10 Commandments have been abolished but in nearly all cases the NT scriptures are a reference to the shadow laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant and NOT the 10 Commandments which give us a KNOWLEDGE of what sin is.

But then, you have not explained why to you the shadow laws are not to be kept on the same principles that you outlined for the Sabbath. You indicated it was a covenant with Israel forever.

But similar things are said of other laws you call shadow laws. You count the Day of Atonement as a "shadow law", and it too was an everlasting statute:

Lev 16:34 And this shall be an everlasting statute unto you, to make an atonement for the children of Israel for all their sins once a year. And he did as the LORD commanded Moses.

And you count the Passover as a "shadow law" and it to was an ordinance for ever:

Exo 12:14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.

And Jesus will eat the Passover in the kingdom:

Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
Luk 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

So why would you not keep those as well, since you are emphasizing things being done away with, and keeping God's law.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But then, you have not explained why to you the shadow laws are not to be kept on the same principles that you outlined for the Sabbath. You indicated it was a covenant with Israel forever.

But similar things are said of other laws you call shadow laws. You count the Day of Atonement as a "shadow law", and it too was an everlasting statute:

Lev 16:34 And this shall be an everlasting statute unto you, to make an atonement for the children of Israel for all their sins once a year. And he did as the LORD commanded Moses.

And you count the Passover as a "shadow law" and it to was an ordinance for ever:

Exo 12:14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.

Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
Luk 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

So why would you not keep those as well, since you are emphasizing things being done away with, and keeping God's law.

Why would you think these things are done away with? These are all shadow laws fulfilled in the types. The types here are consistent with forever as this is what the shadows pointed to.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Should we go back to stoning everyone who isn’t worshiping on Saturday?

The Redeemer told us exactly how to execute justice laws:

Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

They say unto him, "Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?"

This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. John 8:1-11
In other words, everyone is responsible for the trajectory of their own soul; if you want to do things the Word of God say not to do (or, don't do things the Word of God says to do,) then that is on you.

And, if the King of all of us told us not to cast one stone until we are without sin, it doesn't mean the law is inert, it means we are unqualified to execute judgment.

The Law of the Most High God was never made inert, abolished, or void.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would you think these things are done away with? These are all shadow laws fulfilled in the types. The types here are consistent with forever as this is what the shadows pointed to.

Yet you indicated in our discussion on Col. 2 that you thought the handwriting of ordinances was blotted out, and that it represented these laws.

I indicated it represents the certificate of debt, our record of sin, which was paid for by Christ.

So were these laws blotted out per your view or not?

And if these are statutes forever for Israel, is the Passover still to be observed?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
LoveGodsWord said: Why would you think these things are done away with? These are all shadow laws fulfilled in the types. The types here are consistent with forever as this is what the shadows pointed to.

Yet you indicated in our discussion on Col. 2 that you thought the handwriting of ordinances was blotted out, and that it represented these laws.

I indicated it represents the certificate of debt, our record of sin, which was paid for by Christ.

So were these laws blotted out per your view or not?

And if these are statutes forever for Israel, is the Passover still to be observed?

Your earlier reference was to quotes I have written in relation to the shadow laws of the OLD COVENANT. Which you said...

The reply given you was...
LoveGodsWord said: Why would you think these things are done away with? These are all shadow laws fulfilled in the types. The types here are consistent with forever as this is what the shadows pointed to.

Colossians 2:11-14; 16-17 within chapter and scripture context is the shadow laws in ordianances. The greek in v14 is wiping away the handwritten manuscript of laws in ordinances that are civil, ceremonial and ecclesiastical by the death of Christ. So, no more animal sacrifices because Christ is our perfect sacrifice to which the Old covenant sin offerings (shadows) pointed to, and as such are fulfilled and no longer required as they once were as their purpose was to point to Jesus as our perfect sacrifice.

The shadows are not done away with they are only fulfilled in that to which they point to and are no longer required. They are now continued in Christ.

Please feel free to take this conversation to the other thread if you are interested to discuss it further as that is the appropriate thread as it is off topic here.

This thread is called "The Sabbath is God's 4th commandment - Where is the scripture that says it is abolished?"

Did you have any scripture to share in relation to the OP here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good scripture you quote here. Let's look at it in a little more detail..

1 JOHN 5:17 [17] ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS IS SIN: and there is a sin not unto death.

Q. WHAT IS "UNRIGHTEOUSNESS"?
A. UNRIGHTEOUSNESS = INIQUITY = SIN

GREEK AND HEBREW

"UNRIGHTEOUSNESS" [GREEK G93] ἀδικία; adikia; ad-ee-kee'-ah; From G94; legal injustice (properly the quality, by implication the act; moral wrongfulness (of charater, life or act): - iniquity [sin], unjust, unrighteousness, wrong.

"UNRIGHTEOUSNESS" [HEBREW 5766] עול עול עולה עולה עלה; ‛evel ‛âvel ‛avlâh ‛ôlâh ‛ôlâh; eh'-vel, aw'-vel, av-law', o-law', o-law'; eh'-vel, aw'-vel, av-law', o-law', o-law; From H5765; moral evil: - iniquity, [sin] perverseness, unjust (-ly), unrighteousness (-ly), wicked (-ness).

CONCLUSION: UNRIGHTEOUSNESS = SIN

Q. WHAT IS SIN?

JAMES 2:8-11 [8], If ye fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, ye do well: [9], But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. [10], For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. [11] For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, YOU ARE BECOME A TRANSGRESSOR OF GOD'S LAW

All of the disciples lived under the law until the resurrection of Christ. Even Jesus was under the law until His death, and his resurrection heralded a new life, new creation, of which He was the "first-born."

His death, burial, and resurrection is what brought in the new era for which all of mankind was waiting, even many who did not know of it.

So, yes, James was under the law as was everyone else.
But James's epistle was written AFTER the passing of the law, to the new creation, and the coming in of a new approach to God, through Christ Jesus. The crucifixion is the key to the passing of the law and the incoming of the new testament. ALL New Testament writings applied AFTER the resurrection.

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What evidence do you see for it being written in Hebrew?

The only text I think is referenced to have been written in Hebrew first was Matthew:
The only HEBREW Mathew was that which was given to the
Nazarenes. No other Christians were provided it, as they understood the significance of the New Covenant written in GREEK was fulfillment of the prophecy of Isaiah.

Epiphanius writes about the Nazarenes and their gospel:

They have the Gospel according to Matthew in its entirety in Hebrew. For it is clear that they still preserve this, in the Hebrew alphabet, as it was originally written.
—Epiphanius of Salamis, Panarion 29.9.4

Jerome also indicated a Hebrew origin for Matthew, but did not for other books:
I now speak of the New Testament, which is undoubtedly Greek, except the Apostle Matthew, who had first set forth the Gospel of Christ in Hebrew letters in Judea.
Letter from Jerome to Pope Damasus.

The New Covenant began with only the writings of the old for reference and teaching. There were many glaring inconsistencies in the first few years of Christianity. That was a training period, just as the forty years wandering in the wilderness was for the Hebrew nation, upon coming out of Egypt under Moses.

If you look real close, you will discover this to b part of every major change God brought about for His people.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All of the disciples lived under the law until the resurrection of Christ.

Hello Theo Book, nice to see you again.

I think you missed the point here.

There is no separate law for Jews and Gentile believers. Gentiles are now grafted in to God's Israel (Romans 11:16-27).

FURTHER SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE.

If you are not a part of God's ISRAEL then you have no part in the NEW COVENANT PROMISE (Hebews 8:10-12). It is the MOSAIC shadow laws of the OLD COVENANT that we are no longer under in the NEW COVENANT.

God's ETERNAL LAW (10 Commandments) however are the standard of the OLD and NEW COVENANTS and the judgment to come because they give us a KNOWLEDGE of what sin and righteousness are (Good and Evil).

Without God's LAW we have no knowledge of what sin is and no need for a Savior. If we have no need of a Savior we have no salvation. If we have no salvation then we are lost because we are still in our sins...

MATTHEW 9:12-13 [12], But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. [13], But go and learn what that means, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

ROMANS 7:7 [7], What shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, you shall not covet.

ROMANS 3:20 [20], Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Now back to the OP, where is all of God's WORD does it say that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED as we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a HOLY day?

Hope this helps..

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The New Covenant began with only the writings of the old for reference and teaching. There were many glaring inconsistencies in the first few years of Christianity. That was a training period, just as the forty years wandering in the wilderness was for the Hebrew nation, upon coming out of Egypt under Moses.

If you look real close, you will discover this to b part of every major change God brought about for His people.

I like this part of your post here Theo Book, ineed the OLD TESTAMENT scriptures in the days of Jesus and the Apostles was the their bible.

Everything that comes from the NEW TESTAMENT comes from the OLD TESTAMENT together these are the two great witnesses that point to Jesus and God's plan of salvation for all mankind.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
THE FIRST LIE IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN >>> IS THE FALSE GOSPEL TODAY

Let's start at John and at the beginning of Genesis 3 (this may be too long a study but let's try and make it shorter there are a lot of conencting scripture which I may add a few here only)

Let's start here with the father of lies......

John 8
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: FOR HE IS A LIAR AND THE FATHER OF IT.

The Devil is the Father of LIES those that do not FOLLOW God follow their Father the devil and the deeds of their father they will do.

links to...........

1 John 2
3, And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4, He that saith, I KNOW HIM, and KEEPS NOT HIS COMMANDMENTS, is a LIAR, AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM

links to...........

1 John 3
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5, And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6, Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7, Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8, He that committeth sin is of the devil; (the father of lies and the deeds of their father they will do; John 8:44)

The father of lies from the begining. Let's go to the beginning will look at separate meanings and types....

Genesis 3
Now the SEPENT <Satan Rev 12:9> was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the WOMEN <Church good or bad; Jeremiah 6:2; 2 Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:23-27; Isaiah 1:21-27; Jeremiah 3:1-3; 6-9; Ezk 16:15-58; 23:2-21; Hos. 2:5; 3:1; Rev. 14:4>, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

2, And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the FRUIT of the trees of the garden: <FRUIT of OBEDIENCE (James 2:18; 20; 26; Matthew 7:12-23; Jon 15:1-10)

3, But of the FRUIT of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, LEST YOU DIE <God's LAW; represents God's 10 commandments which gives the KNOWLEDGE of SIN and RIGHTEUSNESS; Good and Evil; Romans 3:20; 7:7; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4; Ps 119:172; but makes nothing perfect>.

4, And the serpent said unto the woman, YOU SHALL NOT SURELY DIE:< The first LIE from the beginning; John 8:44)

5, For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, KNOWING GOOD AND EVIL. < Prior to DISOBEYING God Mankind DID NOT KNOW what EVIL (SIN) was because they were in HARMONY and OBEDIENT to God's WORD>

6, And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

7, And THE EYES OF THEM WERE OPENED, AND THEY KNEW THAT THEY WERE NAKED; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. <God's LAW is the KNOWLEDGE of SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS; When they SINNED they now had the KNOWLEDGE of both GOOD and EVIL; Romans 3:20; 7:7; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4; Ps 119:172;>

The saw that they were naked and tried to cover themselves with figleaves; SIN took away their RIGHTEOUSNESS and now they are guilty before God in SIN; NAKED before God in SIN trying to cover themselves with figleaves (flithy rags) Isaiah 63:6; Righteousness to cover our nakedness only from God; Luke 15:22; If we SIN we lose it; Romans 3:19 >

8, And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

9, And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10, And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11, And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

Key points and putting it all together..........

The Serpent and father of LIES is the Devil he lied to MANKIND from the beginning. God's Commandment to Adam and Eve was NOT to eat of the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL (SIN AND RIGHTESOUNESS) lest you DIE. Adam and Eve did not have the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL (SIN AND RIGHTESOUNESS) because they had NEVER SINNED and where in HARMONY with God in OBEDIENCE to HIS WORD.

THE TREE OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL REPRESENTS GOD's Commandments. The TAKING THE FRUIT symbolizes BREAKING God's Commandment NOT TO EAT the FRUIT lest you DIE which is UNBELIEF in God's WORD.

THIS IS A WARNING FOR US TODAY. THE same LIE told to ADAM and EVE is being repeated in the mainstream Churches of today.

SIN is the transgression of GOD'S LAW and if anyone CONTINUES in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN; God's WORD says they will DIE and not ENTER THE KINGDOM of HEAVEN because they have rejected the GIFT of God's dear son (Romans 6:23; Hebrews 10:26-27; 6:4-8; Matthew 7:12-23)

It is only by partaking of the TREE of LIFE (BELIEVING AND FOLLOWING God's Word by LOVE) through FAITH that Gods FRUITS of OBEDIENCE are seen in the life of God's true people (1 John 3:3-10; Revelation 12:17; 14:12; 22:14) and is why Jesus says if you LOVE me keep my commandments ( John 14:15; 15:10)

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Theo Book, nice to see you again.

I think you missed the point here.

There is no separate law for Jews and Gentile believers. Gentiles are now grafted in to God's Israel (Romans 11:16-27).

FURTHER SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE.

If you are not a part of God's ISRAEL then you have no part in the NEW COVENANT PROMISE (Hebews 8:10-12). It is the MOSAIC shadow laws of the OLD COVENANT that we are no longer under in the NEW COVENANT.

God's ETERNAL LAW (10 Commandments) however are the standard of the OLD and NEW COVENANTS and the judgment to come because they give us a KNOWLEDGE of what sin and righteousness are (Good and Evil).

Without God's LAW we have no knowledge of what sin is and no need for a Savior. If we have no need of a Savior we have no salvation. If we have no salvation then we are lost because we are still in our sins...

MATTHEW 9:12-13 [12], But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. [13], But go and learn what that means, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

ROMANS 7:7 [7], What shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, you shall not covet.

ROMANS 3:20 [20], Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Now back to the OP, where is all of God's WORD does it say that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED as we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a HOLY day?
Hope this helps...

Heb 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a CHANGE ALSO OF THE LAW.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb 9:1 Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. 2 For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary. 3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all; 4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant; 5 And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly. 6 Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.

7 But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people: 8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: 9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; 10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; 12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? 15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

17 For a testament is of force AFTER MEN ARE DEAD: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood. 19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, 20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.

Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. 5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. 8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. HE TAKETH AWAY THE FIRST, that he may ESTABLISH THE SECOND. 10 By the which will WE ARE sanctified through the OFFERING of the BODY OF JESUS Christ once for all.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Heb 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a CHANGE ALSO OF THE LAW.

Yep notice the context? Let's go throught it slowly...

HEBREWS 7:11-12 [11], If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek, and not be called after the order of Aaron? [12], For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Notice here that the CONTEXT of these scriptures are the LEVITICAL Priesthood [v11]?

The change of law spoken of here is the MOSAIC laws for remission of sin attached to the Levitical Priesthood. Not the 10 Commandments.

DETAILED SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE CLICK ME.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Indeed now your getting it. God's LAW is to be written on the heart under the NEW COVENANT :oldthumbsup:

Heb 9:1 Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. 2 For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary. 3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all; 4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant; 5 And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly. 6 Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.
7 But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people: 8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: 9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; 10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. 11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; 12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? 15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 17 For a testament is of force AFTER MEN ARE DEAD: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. 18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood. 19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, 20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. 5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me 6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. 8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. HE TAKETH AWAY THE FIRST, that he may ESTABLISH THE SECOND. 10 By the which will WE ARE sanctified through the OFFERING of the BODY OF JESUS Christ once for all.

Indeed. Great scriptures. This is exactly what we are sharing here. The LEVITICAL PRIESTHOOD and the old Sanctuary service and laws for remission of sin are the shadow laws that point to Jesus as our perfect sacrifice and to his work on our behalf as our great high priest. It is the shadow laws for remission of sin under the OLD COVENANT that have changed. Not the 10 Commandments that are God's eternal law and give us a knowledge of what sin is (Romans 3:20; 7:7; James 2:8-11; 1 JOhn 3:4).

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU KNOW GOD?

1 JOHN 2:3-4 [3], And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. [4], He that said, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 JOHN 3:3-10
[3], And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.
[4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
[5], And you know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
[6], Whoever stays in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him.
[7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
[8], He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
[9], Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
[10], In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother.

WHO ARE GOD'S PEOPLE?

REVELATION 12:17, And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ

REVELATION 14:12, Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

WHO ARE THOSE THAT RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE?

REVELATION 22:14, Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

WHAT IS GRACE FOR?

ROMANS 1:5, By whom we have received GRACE and apostleship, FOR OBEDIENCE TO THE FAITH among all nations, for his name.

ROMANS 6:1-2, [1] What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. [2], How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

DOES FAITH ABOLISH GOD'S LAW?

ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then ABOLISH THE LAW THROUGH FAITH? GOD FORBID: YES, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THOSE WHO CONTINUE IN SIN ONCE THEY RECEIVE A KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH?

HEBREWS 10:26-27 [26], For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, [27], But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

CONCLUSION: God's WORD describes God's people as those who keep ALL of God's commandments. So who has God revealed the understanding of his Prophecies to? Let's have a look?

Now that we have shown through God's WORD that God's people are descripbed as keeping all of God's commandments through faith in God's WORD, where is the scripture that says God's 4th commandment is ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just reposting this as we have gone offtrack from the OP a little and the OP has not been answered to date...

Hello all,

This thread is for friendly discussion only. So please be nice here.

The challenge I am putting up here is for anyone to show even one scripture that says God's 4th Commandment of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) which was spoken and written by God himself to his people, has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

Can anyone please show me where in all the bible does is say (SOLA SCRIPTURA; Scripture only please)...

1. That God's 4th commandments 7th day Sabbath has been abolished?

2. That Jesus is a Sabbath?

3. The Sabbath (seventh day) was ever changed from the seventh to the first day of the week?

4. Where we are told to keep the first day of the week holy?

5. Where the first day of the week (Sunday) is ever called a holy day?

6. That says that Jesus ever kept the first day (Sunday)?

7. That tells us to keep the first day in honour of the resurrection of Christ?

8. Where the first day is ever given any sacred name?

9. That affirms that any of the apostles ever kept the first day as the Sabbath?

10. From any apostolic writings that authorizes Sunday observance as the Sabbath of God?

11. Where we are told not to work on the first day of the week?

12. That says the seventh day is no longer God's Sabbath day?

13. That says the seventh day Sabbath is ABOLISHED?

14. Where the apostles ever taught any convert to keep the first day of the week as a Sabbath?

15. Where the first day was ever appointed to be kept as the Lord's Day?

16. Where the first day of the week is ever called the Lord's Day?

17. That says that the first day of the week was ever sanctified and hallowed as a day of rest?

18. That says that the Father or the Son (Jesus) rested on the first day of the week?

19. That says that Jesus, Paul or any other of the apostles taught anyone to observe the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

20. That calls the seventh day the “Jewish Sabbath” or one text that calls Sunday the “Christian Sabbath”?

21. Telling man to keep the first day of the week holy or to worship or rest on the first day of the week?

22. Authorizing anyone to set aside God's Sabbath and observe any other day?

23. Showing any of the apostles keeping the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

24. Authorizing someone to set aside the fourth Commandment and observe any other day of the week?

25. Where any apostle taught us to keep the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

26. Declaring that the seventh day is no longer the Eternal Sabbath day?

27. Where Sunday is now appointed to be kept as the New Testament Sabbath or holy day?

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No takers?

Well the reason why there is no takers for these questions is because there is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day. God's 4th commandment is one of the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is if broken.

SIN is the breaking of God's Commandments (James 2:9-11; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pyong Ping

Jun 12, 2018
Western
✟8,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The sabbath commandment in the beginning with God (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11).

The sabbath commandment with Adam (Mark 2:27).

The sabbath commandment with Enoch (Genesis 5:22,24; Hebrews 11:5; Isaiah 58:13)

The sabbath commandment with Noah (Genesis 6:9; 2 Peter 2:5; Psalms 119:172).

The sabbath commandment with Eber (Genesis 10:21,24-25; Exodus 3:18, 5:3, 7:16).

The sabbath commandment with Abaham (Genesis 17:9, 18:19, 26:5; 2 Chronicles 20:7; Isaiah 41:8; James 2:23; John 15:14).

The sabbath commandment with Isaac (Genesis 17:9, 18:19, 26:5).

The sabbath commandment with Jacob/Israel (Genesis 17:9, 18:19, 26:5, 32:28).

The sabbath commandment with Moses (Exodus 5:4-5;, 16:1-36, 20:8-11; Deuteornomy 5:12-15, 31:12-18).

The sabbath commandment with Jesus (Luke 4:16-19).

The sabbath commandment with the Apostles/Disciples (Acts 1:2, (4:24), 13:14,27,42,44, (14:15), 15:21, 16:13, 17:2, 18:4; Hebrews 3:11,18, 4:1,3,4,5,8,9,10,11; Revelation 1:10, 10:6, 12:17, 14:6-7)

The sabbath commandment with us today (Hebrews 4:9; Revelation 12:17, 14:6-7; John 14:15; Exodus 20:6,8-11).

The sabbath commandment on into eternity (Isaiah 66:23).

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The sabbath commandment in the beginning with God (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11).

The sabbath commandment with Adam (Mark 2:27).

The sabbath commandment with Enoch (Genesis 5:22,24; Hebrews 11:5; Isaiah 58:13)

The sabbath commandment with Noah (Genesis 6:9; 2 Peter 2:5; Psalms 119:172).

The sabbath commandment with Eber (Genesis 10:21,24-25; Exodus 3:18, 5:3, 7:16).

The sabbath commandment with Abaham (Genesis 17:9, 18:19, 26:5; 2 Chronicles 20:7; Isaiah 41:8; James 2:23; John 15:14).

The sabbath commandment with Isaac (Genesis 17:9, 18:19, 26:5).

The sabbath commandment with Jacob/Israel (Genesis 17:9, 18:19, 26:5, 32:28).

The sabbath commandment with Moses (Exodus 5:4-5;, 16:1-36, 20:8-11; Deuteornomy 5:12-15, 31:12-18).

The sabbath commandment with Jesus (Luke 4:16-19).

The sabbath commandment with the Apostles/Disciples (Acts 1:2, (4:24), 13:14,27,42,44, (14:15), 15:21, 16:13, 17:2, 18:4; Hebrews 3:11,18, 4:1,3,4,5,8,9,10,11; Revelation 1:10, 10:6, 12:17, 14:6-7)

The sabbath commandment with us today (Hebrews 4:9; Revelation 12:17, 14:6-7; John 14:15; Exodus 20:6,8-11).

The sabbath commandment on into eternity (Isaiah 66:23).

Thanks for sharing these, some of these scriptures I had not considered before.

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one changed the Sabbath. It is still Saturday. What has changed is that we gather for worship on Sunday. As the Sabbath was given for our rest, why is it important to worship (which is work)on our day of rest?
I have read no command that we must gather for worship on the Sabbath. If you have, please share it.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No one changed the Sabbath. It is still Saturday. What has changed is that we gather for worship on Sunday. As the Sabbath was given for our rest, why is it important to worship (which is work)on our day of rest?
I have read no command that we must gather for worship on the Sabbath. If you have, please share it.

Depends whos version of history you believe. The Roman Catholic Church or someone unbiased.

The term changing the Sabbath is just a play on words that no one is talking about as Sunday has never been God's Sabbath. It is SIN and breaking God's 4th Commandments that is the topic of discussion.

The Roman Catholic Church adopted the pagan day of Sunworship from pagan Rome introduced by the Roman Emperor Constantine in AD 321 and made it official in the mother Church at the council of Laodecea in AD 363 in place of God's 4th Commandment Sabbath (Exodus 20:8-11).

CANON XXIX.

CHRISTIANS must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ. (The Council of Laodecea in Phrygia Pacatiana 364 A.D.)

Yep sounds pretty official to me don't you think?

Sunday Worship linked (wiki)

On 7 March 321, Constantine I, Rome's first Christian Emperor (see Constantine I and Christianity), decreed that Sunday would be observed as the Roman day of rest:[10]

On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost.[11]

Despite the official adoption of Sunday as a day of rest by Constantine, the seven-day week and the nundial cycle continued to be used side-by-side until at least the Calendar of 354 and probably later.[12]

In 363-4, Canon 29 of the Council of Laodicea prohibited observance of the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday), and encouraged Christians to work on the Saturday and rest on the Lord's Day (Sunday).[13] The fact that the canon had to be issued at all is an indication that adoption of Constantine's decree of 321 was still not universal, not even among Christians. It also indicates that Jews were observing the Sabbath on the Saturday.

Who has the right to change God's 4th Commandment of the 10 Commandments to a pagen day of Sun worship? Sunday is not the LORD'S day, it never has been. The Sabbath is the LORD'S day SCRIPTURE SUPPORT linked CLICK ME.

As a Protestant somthing to protest about in my view as God's 10 Commandments give us the knowledge of what sin is if broken (Romans 3:20; 7:7; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4). Sin will keep all those who KNOWINGLY practice it out of God's Kingdom (Hebrews 10:26-27).

There is not a single scripture that supports anything you have posted above. Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

CLAIMS OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

“Question. – Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept? Ans. – Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her;-she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.”- (Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Cathechism, p. 174)

“The fact, however, that Christ until His death, and His Apostles at least for sometime after Christ’s Ascension, observed the Sabbath is evidence enough that our Lord Himself did not substitute the Lord’s day for the Sabbath during His lifetime on earth.” – (Vincent J, Kelly - Catholic, Forbidden Sunday and Feast-Day Occupations 1943 ed. pp. 19& 29)

“The Catholic Church…by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday.” – (The Catholic Mirror, Cardinal Gibbons, Sep. 23, 1893)

“We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.” – (Peter Geirmann, the Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine. 1946 ed.)

“You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify.” – (James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers. 1917 ed. P. 72,73.)

“Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that worship should be changed from Saturday to Sunday. The fact is that the Church in existence for several centuries before the Bible was given to the world. The Church made the Bible, the Bible did not make the Church. Now the Chruch …instituted, by the same divine authority, taught the doctrine of Purgatory long before the Bible was made. We have therefore, the same authority for Purgatory as we have for Sunday.” – (Martin L. Scott, Things Catholics Are Asked About, 1927 ed. p.136

“If we consulted the Bible only, we should still have to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is, Saturday.” – (John Laux, A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Adademies, Vol. 1, 1936 ed)

“Some theologians have held that God likewise directly determined the Sunday as the day of worship in the New Law, that He Himself has explicitly substituted the Sunday for the Sabbath. But this theory is now entirely abandoned. It is now commonly held that God simply gave His Church the power to set aside whatever day or days, she would deem suitable as Holy Days. The Church chose Sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days, as holy days.” – (Vincent J. Kelly (Catholic), Forbidden Sunday and Feast-Day Occupations, 1943 ed. p.2)

“And where are we told in the Scriptures that we are to keep the first day at all? We are commanded to keep the seventh, but we are nowhere commanded to keep the first day…The reasons why we keep the first day of the week holy instead of the seventh is for the same reason that we observe many other things, not because the Bible, but because the church, has enjoined it.” – (Isaac Williams (Anglican), Plain Sermons on the Catachism, Vol. 1, pp.334, 336.)

“The church, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath of the seventh day of the week to the first made the Third Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day.” (V 4, p 153 - The Catholic Encyclopedia.)

“If Protestants would follow the Bible, they would worship God on the Sabbath Day. In keeping the Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church.” – (Albert Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the Cardinal in a letter of Feb. 10, 1920)

“All things whatsoever that were prescribed for the [Bible] Sabbath, we have transferred them to the Lord's day, as being more authoritative and more highly regarded and first in rank, and more honorable than the Jewish Sabbath”. (Quoted in J. P. Migne's "Patrologie p 23, 1169-1172)

“We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day [after the Jewish Sabbath, but also the first day] when God, separating matter from darkness, when he made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead.” (St. Justin, I Apologia.67:pG6,429 and 432).

“Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the Sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by him and by his death.” (St. Ignatius of Antioch, Ad Magn. 9,1:SCh 10,88.) – (Interesting reasoning, but He rested in the tomb on the Sabbath, His day, the Lords day, the day He blessed, hallowed and sanctified, and rose on the first day.)

Hope this helps :wave:

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends whos version of history you believe. The Roman Catholic Church or someone unbiased.

The term changing the Sabbath is just a play on words that no one is talking about as Sunday has never been God's Sabbath. It is SIN and breaking God's 4th Commandments that is the topic of discussion.

The Roman Catholic Church adopted the pagan day of Sunworship from pagan Rome introduced by the Roman Emperor Constantine in AD 321 and made it official in the mother Church at the council of Laodecea in AD 363 in place of God's 4th Commandment Sabbath (Exodus 20:8-11).

CANON XXIX.

CHRISTIANS must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ. (The Council of Laodecea in Phrygia Pacatiana 364 A.D.)

Yep sounds pretty official to me don't you think?

Sunday Worship linked (wiki)

On 7 March 321, Constantine I, Rome's first Christian Emperor (see Constantine I and Christianity), decreed that Sunday would be observed as the Roman day of rest:[10]

On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost.[11]

Despite the official adoption of Sunday as a day of rest by Constantine, the seven-day week and the nundial cycle continued to be used side-by-side until at least the Calendar of 354 and probably later.[12]

In 363-4, Canon 29 of the Council of Laodicea prohibited observance of the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday), and encouraged Christians to work on the Saturday and rest on the Lord's Day (Sunday).[13] The fact that the canon had to be issued at all is an indication that adoption of Constantine's decree of 321 was still not universal, not even among Christians. It also indicates that Jews were observing the Sabbath on the Saturday.

Who has the right to change God's 4th Commandment of the 10 Commandments to a pagen day of Sun worship? Sunday is not the LORD'S day, it never has been. The Sabbath is the LORD'S day SCRIPTURE SUPPORT linked CLICK ME.

As a Protestant somthing to protest about in my view as God's 10 Commandments give us the knowledge of what sin is if broken (Romans 3:20; 7:7; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4). Sin will keep all those who KNOWINGLY practice it out of God's Kingdom (Hebrews 10:26-27).

There is not a single scripture that supports anything you have posted above. Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

CLAIMS OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

“Question. – Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept? Ans. – Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her;-she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.”- (Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Cathechism, p. 174)

“The fact, however, that Christ until His death, and His Apostles at least for sometime after Christ’s Ascension, observed the Sabbath is evidence enough that our Lord Himself did not substitute the Lord’s day for the Sabbath during His lifetime on earth.” – (Vincent J, Kelly - Catholic, Forbidden Sunday and Feast-Day Occupations 1943 ed. pp. 19& 29)

“The Catholic Church…by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday.” – (The Catholic Mirror, Cardinal Gibbons, Sep. 23, 1893)

“We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.” – (Peter Geirmann, the Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine. 1946 ed.)

“You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify.” – (James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers. 1917 ed. P. 72,73.)

“Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that worship should be changed from Saturday to Sunday. The fact is that the Church in existence for several centuries before the Bible was given to the world. The Church made the Bible, the Bible did not make the Church. Now the Chruch …instituted, by the same divine authority, taught the doctrine of Purgatory long before the Bible was made. We have therefore, the same authority for Purgatory as we have for Sunday.” – (Martin L. Scott, Things Catholics Are Asked About, 1927 ed. p.136

“If we consulted the Bible only, we should still have to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is, Saturday.” – (John Laux, A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Adademies, Vol. 1, 1936 ed)

“Some theologians have held that God likewise directly determined the Sunday as the day of worship in the New Law, that He Himself has explicitly substituted the Sunday for the Sabbath. But this theory is now entirely abandoned. It is now commonly held that God simply gave His Church the power to set aside whatever day or days, she would deem suitable as Holy Days. The Church chose Sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days, as holy days.” – (Vincent J. Kelly (Catholic), Forbidden Sunday and Feast-Day Occupations, 1943 ed. p.2)

“And where are we told in the Scriptures that we are to keep the first day at all? We are commanded to keep the seventh, but we are nowhere commanded to keep the first day…The reasons why we keep the first day of the week holy instead of the seventh is for the same reason that we observe many other things, not because the Bible, but because the church, has enjoined it.” – (Isaac Williams (Anglican), Plain Sermons on the Catachism, Vol. 1, pp.334, 336.)

“The church, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath of the seventh day of the week to the first made the Third Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day.” (V 4, p 153 - The Catholic Encyclopedia.)

“If Protestants would follow the Bible, they would worship God on the Sabbath Day. In keeping the Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church.” – (Albert Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the Cardinal in a letter of Feb. 10, 1920)

“All things whatsoever that were prescribed for the [Bible] Sabbath, we have transferred them to the Lord's day, as being more authoritative and more highly regarded and first in rank, and more honorable than the Jewish Sabbath”. (Quoted in J. P. Migne's "Patrologie p 23, 1169-1172)

“We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day [after the Jewish Sabbath, but also the first day] when God, separating matter from darkness, when he made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead.” (St. Justin, I Apologia.67:pG6,429 and 432).

“Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the Sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by him and by his death.” (St. Ignatius of Antioch, Ad Magn. 9,1:SCh 10,88.) – (Interesting reasoning, but He rested in the tomb on the Sabbath, His day, the Lords day, the day He blessed, hallowed and sanctified, and rose on the first day.)

Hope this helps :wave:
Please cite from the Bible where it says we are to worship on Saturday. It says to rest.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.