✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

Do you agree with the following in below short video? And any other thoughts as to the contents of the video?

1 the Sabbath is no longer observed in NT
2 the 10 Commandments were only for the living people of Israel at the time

Also noteworthy, the speaker mentions that all the Commandments are still required to be adhered to currently as stated in NT books except for the Sabbath?

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

Do you agree with the following in below short video? And any other thoughts as to the contents of the video?

Also noteworthy, the speaker mentions that all the Commandments are still required to be adhered to currently as stated in NT books except for the Sabbath?

1. Actually the Sabbath is kept by the Christian when he finds his rest in Christ and His sufficient redemptive work. Hebrews 3 and 4

2. The 10 Commandments (including the Sabbath) are written on every born again believer's heart and is a reflection of his new nature in Christ.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The same Father who gave the Law of Moses also sent Christ, so there is no difference between that and the Law of Christ. Christ set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Law of Moses and he did not hypocritically preach something other than what he practiced, so it wouldn't make sense to think that the Law of Christ was something other than what Christ taught by word and by example. Christ was not in disagreement with the Father about which laws we should follow and said nothing about editing the law, so we shouldn't need anything to be repeated in the NT in order for us to know that we should still obey the Father. In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from the law, so Jesus did not do that. Jesus would have still taught obedience to the Law of Moses by example even if he had said nothing, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22). Jesus also said that his teaching were not his own, but that of the Father (John 14:24), so he did not depart from what the Father has taught.

God's laws are not arbitrarily given, but teach us how to express His nature, and as followers of God, we should act as a light and a blessing to the world through living in a way that testifies about God's nature. Keeping the Sabbath holy in particular testifies that there is a Creator who frees His people out of slavery, while breaking the Sabbath bears false witness against the Creator.

In Colossians 2:14, it does not speak about any laws being nailed to the cross, but rather it is speaking about the list of our sins or transgressions of God's law being nailed to the cross and about Jesus giving himself to pay the penalty for our sins.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not sure why the speaker in the video said that the Sabbath is no longer followed in NT Christianity?

Anyway, great replies thank you.

I found this article affirming what you have stated above. This is for anyone not familiar with the details.

Thanks again and God bless...

Are the 10 Commandments Upheld in the New Testament?

• Friendly
Reactions: xaris
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

The Jews of Jesus’ day wanted to execute people including Jesus, James and Paul. Jesus did not execute anyone according to the Gospels.

Jesus did say that we should fear God. God may kill and make it so a person will not gain eternal life.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Jews of Jesus’ day wanted to execute people including Jesus, James and Paul. Jesus did not execute anyone according to the Gospels.

Jesus did say that we should fear God. God may kill and make it so a person will not gain eternal life.

Not really sure why you have said the above? How does what you have said relate to the Sabbath still being necessary to be observed today? Why are you talking about execution?

Would you please clarify?...

• Agree
Reactions: xaris
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not really sure why you have said the above? How does what you have said relate to the Sabbath still being necessary to be observed today? Why are you talking about execution?

Would you please clarify?...
Did you listen to the video about how all of the ten commandments are repeated in the New Testament except the Sabbath commandment? Some preachers say you should rest on Sunday for it is the Sabbath. Others said it is the Lord’s day and they shutdown on Sunday to go to church meetings, like the Jews go to synagogue on Saturday. Up until about 40 to 50 years ago state laws closed most businesses in Virginia on Sunday. The Seventh Day Adventists rest on Saturday because they wanted a day off and they read about Sabbath being the seventh day in the Bible. Some people rest two days, Saturday and Sunday, because that lets their bodies recover from heavy labor. Jesus leaves it up to you to decide when to work or rest.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

The items: 1 and 2 above are true to Scripture. The Sabbath in the Old Testament was our present Saturday, and honored God in His creation period by resting from His work (the Seventh day). It effectively led Israel to bow to God as the Beginner of life for mankind. It also then fore-shadowed the NEW life in Christ Jesus (the spiritual 'new birth' as John 3 shows) which provides man a NEWNESS of life ever-more in Heaven when this era closes.

As with all of the OT religion, it speaks in typology of that which was, and is also now and to come. The Lord Jesus is now the fulfilment of God's work to redeem fallen mankind (which Israelites continue to reject). We thus now worship and honor our God in and through the Lord Jesus (God's "...beloved Son") for His 'finished work' of "resurrection" on the FIRST DAY of the week as shown in our Holy Word Of Truth (our Bible) ---often spoken of as 'THE LORD'S DAY' (a new beginning).

It is also true that all the Commandments of the OT are found in the New Testament for the Church, EXCEPT the Sabbath. Israelites reject their Messiah, but He is our Redeemer and should be embraced as LORD of our life, for any hope of being with Him in Heaven forever (note John 3; John 14; Romans 8; etc). We have an open door now for blessing, and soon it will be closed, as it was for Israel, and then there will be no more time for worship in this world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The command to keep the Sabbath includes how the servants must not work. So, it benefits everyone, not only certain people. To me, then, it is a love your neighbor as yourself command, since it commands you to have your servants get the same benefit of rest that you get.

And yes ones understand we keep the Sabbath by resting, all the time, in Jesus. And we love others as ourselves, by helping others to rest in Christ.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The command to keep the Sabbath includes how the servants must not work. So, it benefits everyone, not only certain people. To me, then, it is a love your neighbor as yourself command, since it commands you to have your servants get the same benefit of rest that you get.

And yes ones understand we keep the Sabbath by resting, all the time, in Jesus. And we love others as ourselves, by helping others to rest in Christ.

Yes, we 'rest in Jesus', though that is not the same as the Israelite Sabbath, which REQUIRED that they do nothing and stay at home in peace. Let us not build our faith on the OT, but understand it as valuable history about our God dealing with mankind from the beginning. Today we have a "new life" in our Lord Jesus --"the Christ of God". Keep looking up!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

Hi Richard Mulcahy,

Good questions! and I do have some thoughts on the video.

At the very beginning of the video the speaker comments on "the Ten Commandments," and then immediately proceeds to clump these commandments in with 603 "additional directives." While it is true that there were additional directives, it is not true that these directives were part and parcel of the Ten. Ask any child how many commandments are in the Ten Commandments and they will have no trouble telling you the answer--10.

In Deuteronomy 5:7-21 Moses repeats the Ten Commandments for the people. Immediately afterwards he says, "These are the commandments the Lord proclaimed in a loud voice to your whole assembly there on the mountain from out of the fire, the cloud and the deep darkness; and he added nothing more. Then he wrote them on two stone tablets and gave them to me." There is a numeral which constrains this set of commandments to only ten. No more. No less. For the speaker to attempt to mash the Ten in with the rest to make it 613 is misleading and not what God intended. God made it plain in how He delivered the Ten Commandments that they were special and separate from the other "directives" He gave.

Consider:
The Ten Commandments were written on stone
The "additional directives" were written on paper

The Ten Commandments were written by God's own finger
The "additional directives" were written by Moses

The Ten Commandments were spoken by God for over 2 million people to hear
The "additional directives" were spoken by God for only Moses to hear

The Ten Commandments were placed inside the Ark of the Covenant
The "additional directives" were placed on the side of the Ark of the Covenant

Additionally, when Moses smashed the tablets did God just have Moses go ahead and write them? No. He allowed Moses the ability to chisel out the tablets, but then He had Moses bring the tablets to Him on the mountain so that He could rewrite them (c.f. Deuteronomy 10).

I pray this helps.

But for the grace of God go I,cyspark

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Richard Mulcahy,

Good questions! and I do have some thoughts on the video.

At the very beginning of the video the speaker comments on "the Ten Commandments," and then immediately proceeds to clump these commandments in with 603 "additional directives." While it is true that there were additional directives, it is not true that these directives were part and parcel of the Ten. Ask any child how many commandments are in the Ten Commandments and they will have no trouble telling you the answer--10.

In Deuteronomy 5:7-21 Moses repeats the Ten Commandments for the people. Immediately afterwards he says, "These are the commandments the Lord proclaimed in a loud voice to your whole assembly there on the mountain from out of the fire, the cloud and the deep darkness; and he added nothing more. Then he wrote them on two stone tablets and gave them to me." There is a numeral which constrains this set of commandments to only ten. No more. No less. For the speaker to attempt to mash the Ten in with the rest to make it 613 is misleading and not what God intended. God made it plain in how He delivered the Ten Commandments that they were special and separate from the other "directives" He gave.

Consider:
The Ten Commandments were written on stone
The "additional directives" were written on paper

The Ten Commandments were written by God's own finger
The "additional directives" were written by Moses

The Ten Commandments were spoken by God for over 2 million people to hear
The "additional directives" were spoken by God for only Moses to hear

The Ten Commandments were placed inside the Ark of the Covenant
The "additional directives" were placed on the side of the Ark of the Covenant

Additionally, when Moses smashed the tablets did God just have Moses go ahead and write them? No. He allowed Moses the ability to chisel out the tablets, but then He had Moses bring the tablets to Him on the mountain so that He could rewrite them (c.f. Deuteronomy 10).

I pray this helps.

The other 603 commandments of God we’re not any less important than the 10 commandments. It’s just that 603 commandments carved in stone is not easy to carry around when your wandering around in the wilderness for over 40 years.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The other 603 commandments of God we’re not any less important than the 10 commandments. It’s just that 603 commandments carved in stone is not easy to carry around when your wandering around in the wilderness for over 40 years.

I'm wondering that by saying what you have said above is tantamount to equating theft with eating a shrimp for example?

There are serious crimes and lesser dietary offences, how can they both be seen on an equal footing?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering that by saying what you have said above is tantamount to equating theft with eating a shrimp for example?

There are serious crimes and lesser dietary offences, how can they both be seen on an equal footing?

Yes I would agree that murder does not carry the same consequence as eating bacon. I mean bacon that’s some serious temptation right there buddy!

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I would agree that murder does not carry the same consequence as eating bacon. I mean bacon that’s some serious temptation right there buddy!

I was just thinking that given we no longer have to eat fish with fins and scales only or that we can eat pig now that these laws are no longer applicable.

Also, the two greatest commandments given are included in the 10 commandments I.e. loving God and neighbour.

This is why I am not understanding why you say the 603 directives/laws were no less important than the big 10?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking that given we no longer have to eat fish with fins and scales only or that we can eat pig now that these laws are no longer applicable.

Also, the two greatest commandments given are included in the 10 commandments I.e. loving God and neighbour.

This is why I am not understanding why you say the 603 directives/laws were no less important than the big 10?

They are no more important for those who are trying to keep the law. If your teaching that obedience to the law is required for salvation then you must keep the whole law not just bits and pieces. Those who insist that everyone must keep the Sabbath in order to receive salvation have to keep the entire 613 commandments not just the Ten Commandments.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They are no more important for those who are trying to keep the law. If your teaching that obedience to the law is required for salvation then you must keep the whole law not just bits and pieces. Those who insist that everyone must keep the Sabbath in order to receive salvation have to keep the entire 613 commandments not just the Ten Commandments.

I see the point you are making, thanks for clarifying. You must have been referring to OT times.

But what about today for a Sabbath is required as taught by Jesus. In fact all the 10 commandments are to be followed today. Are you saying that it was only in OT times that these 603 other directives had to be followed? This has been my understanding all along.

Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hi BNR32FAN,

Hmm, that's an interesting contention...considering the fact that the Ten Commandments and the other 603 decrees, laws and ordinances written on paper were both carried using the same ark of the covenant.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see the point you are making, thanks for clarifying. You must have been referring to OT times.

But what about today for a Sabbath is required as taught by Jesus. In fact all the 10 commandments are to be followed today. Are you saying that it was only in OT times that these 603 other directives had to be followed? This has been my understanding all along.

I believe Jesus gave us freedom from the law in that we are not under the letter of the law but instead His emphasis was the purpose for which the laws were written. I believe that was His message when He was asked what is the most important commandment.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi BNR32FAN,

Hmm, that's an interesting contention...considering the fact that the Ten Commandments and the other 603 decrees, laws and ordinances written on paper were both carried using the same ark of the covenant.

It was actually just a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: Icyspark
Upvote 0