✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!
I’m still here. That may sound wonderful or not, but if someone has chosen not to do away with himself, with a “yet” in parentheses always lingering, then it might be seen as a wonderful thing.

I have felt as betrayed as one might be by one’s Church, by the support and encouragement given to people who support the past regimes and leaders that fought violently against the Church, and have very nearly lost faith altogether. The fat jolly Englishman for whom I constantly experience derision for admiring, who keeps pointing me to Christ, and discourages me from drunkenness and worse, has helped me hold on to the rags of my faith, despite what I have seen in Russia.

I defended Russia for years, most of you know that. And certainly, the American government is fast falling to rival the Soviet government in the evils it now perpetuates. I had to ultimately flee my adopted land before nastiness befell me as one continuing to love both the land of my birth and my adopted land, standing between them with no other option than to fight for peace between them. I now live as a stranger in a strange land, now even an illegal alien, in constant despair at the turn of events that have destroyed my life and left me and my family all but homeless.

I am absolutely not partisan, and would not take the side of the globalist elements in the Greek Church, driving HH Bartholomew to push schism as he has in fact done, the betrayal from the Greek side for the benefit of the globalists, and his attempts to restore the glory of the Patriarchate of Constaninople and the glory of this world. But the Russian Church has not taken the high road in response, but has chosen to support the restoration of bi-or multi-polar conflict, in its support of the secular government of Russia regardless of what the princes of the earth there should choose to do. I know of the imprisonment and even torture of people who have fallen out of favor with the regime, and however wrong Navalny is, his punishment is grossly disproportionate to his alleged crimes. There is enough shame to go around for the true rulers of both nations.

And now a fairly final straw has broken the camel’s back in Russia, the firing and exiling of the last priests who have in any way spoken out against the war, and called for peace with Ukrainian brethren. There are now no voices that dare challenge this marriage of Church and state, to point out that Christ’s Kingdom is not of this world.

this is disastrous from my perspective, and discourages me from any hope of returning to Russia soon. On top of all my other woes.
The daughter of the surviving senior priest, after the death of the arch priest, who let us for so long, lives in our town, and teaches in my school, and we support her as best we can. Her father is next on the chopping block. pray for us.

IMG_0006.jpeg

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sergianism is a thing in Russia. But it didn't start with sergius. The Church kow towed under Peter the great and in Moscow 1666 against the old believers. Sadly the sergianism goes back for centuries. Byzantine control over their own local church was no better.

Point is be Orthodox and know that no one is doing it perfectly.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had met Lapshin, stood as godfather to a few kids of his parishioners in Moscow.
My wife frequented Uminsky, he ran a film club for kids with discussions afterward about morality and whatnot.
These priests are not radicals, calling for any changes in Church teaching. At most, they favor things like opening the curtains more frequently, reading the “secret” prayers loudly, for parishioners to hear, and reading the epistles in modern Russian. That’s the extent of their “liberalism” to my knowledge.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sergianism is a thing in Russia. But it didn't start with sergius. The Church kow towed under Peter the great and in Moscow 1666 against the old believers. Sadly the sergianism goes back for centuries. Byzantine control over their own local church was no better.

Point is be Orthodox and know that no one is doing it perfectly.
These guys seek to punish you for dissidence.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m waving my towel, like Arthur Dent.
I want out, but can’t abandon my family. ”Ending it all” is a constant temptation; GKC talks me out of it, I hang on for another day. Our car is already trapped, a hostage of policies forbidding the movement of cars with Russian registration across borders. I no longer make enough money to support us here, my online lessons with Russians go to support my young adult children in Germany, what I make locally barely covers rent, my mother’s widower put some money on my account in his great generosity, and it has covered gas and groceries, but it’s not enough to support a family indefinitely. I drink, and I pray. In terms of my own language and culture, I am utterly alone. With no status, we are effectively illegal aliens, after having spent a few thousand dollars to legally establish ourselves here. But they changed the laws, making it impossible.
We can’t leave my wife’s mom, who can only go where Russians are accepted. I’m hoping for a miracle, a turnaround that would let us return to live in peace in Russia. My profession is not taken seriously in my homeland at all. Looking for a way out and not seeing anything.
There’s a little icon of St Paisios in the little church we go to; been talking to him more lately.
Prayers appreciated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Be careful of what you do, how you do it, and why you do it with regard to the Authority placed in the Russian governments hands.
Do not disobey your Russian government's righteous governing.
What righteous governing is that? Read Romans 13.

[Rom 13:1-7 KJV] 1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore [ye] must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute [is due]; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Yes. Paul wrote this about Rome. Not even the Communists were as bad as Rome at the time.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, that’s a friendly reminder that a lot of strangers can read what I write, and comment with little or no knowledge of my situation or context, who I am or what has happened in my life.

Still, welcome to TAW, stranger! Come in, man, and know us better!

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well, that’s a friendly reminder that a lot of strangers can read what I write, and comment with little or no knowledge of my situation or context, who I am or what has happened in my life.

Still, welcome to TAW, stranger! Come in, man, and know us better!
Here is another friendly reminder.

For me, that was your first post. While there may have been many others, I did not feel responsible for building a bio on you. I doubt you do either.

My post was just a gentle reminder about the respect we owe our governments and thus God. It was scriptural.
My post was also not just for you. There are others, myself included, that need to remember just how strongly God commands us to respect and obey our governments. And this is coming from a very strong conservative person. President Biden and many others are a very difficult challenge for me to respect.

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟456,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is another friendly reminder.

For me, that was your first post. While there may have been many others, I did not feel responsible for building a bio on you. I doubt you do either.

My post was just a gentle reminder about the respect we owe our governments and thus God. It was scriptural.
My post was also not just for you. There are others, myself included, that need to remember just how strongly God commands us to respect and obey our governments. And this is coming from a very strong conservative person. President Biden and many others are a very difficult challenge for me to respect.

Peace and Blessings

So, if the "leaders" are feeding Christians to the lions down at the Coliseum, good Christians should just chill-out and accept it because that is what their "government" wants to do????

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So, if the "leaders" are feeding Christians to the lions down at the Coliseum, good Christians should just chill-out and accept it because that is what their "government" wants to do????
I suggest you re-read my post and look for the word 'righteous'.
I would appreciate it if you ask questions instead of attempting to place words into my mouth which I did not come even close to speaking.

E.g. "What should one do if the govt. is feeding people to the lions?"

Torturing and murdering people is not a righteous act. And tho Rome was doing all those things, Paul, using Rome as one of the worst examples in history, still says to obey the govt. because Jesus placed that govt. over Rome.

Many martyrs were burned at the stake because they would not renounce Jesus. That was Still not a reason to rise up and revolt against Rome.
Danielle was taken into captivity with the Israelites. Yet Isaiah wrote them a letter telling them to partake of Rome, marry their sons and daughters, build houses, business, etc. And prepare because one day...

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟456,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suggest you re-read my post and look for the word 'righteous'.
I would appreciate it if you ask questions instead of attempting to place words into my mouth which I did not come even close to speaking.

E.g. "What should one do if the govt. is feeding people to the lions?"

Torturing and murdering people is not a righteous act. And tho Rome was doing all those things, Paul, using Rome as one of the worst examples in history, still says to obey the govt. because Jesus placed that govt. over Rome.

Many martyrs were burned at the stake because they would not renounce Jesus. That was Still not a reason to rise up and revolt against Rome.
Danielle was taken into captivity with the Israelites. Yet Isaiah wrote them a letter telling them to partake of Rome, marry their sons and daughters, build houses, business, etc. And prepare because one day...

Peace and Blessings

Correct. And the Russian government's actions are not all righteous as well.

That is true of the Ukrainians as well.

Not sure why you were compelled to admonish others to "Be careful of what you do, how you do it, and why you do it with regard to the Authority placed in the Russian governments hands."

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I brought it up as a gentle reminder that we have a commandment about how we are to support our governments. Admonish is a good word. To remind. Many Christians don't give this concept a 2nd thought.

Your real concern here appears to be 'why do I think I even have the right to bring this up?'
Will I require your approval for future posts? Or is it wrong to post scripture?
Let me know when you are done.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I brought it up as a gentle reminder that we have a commandment about how we are to support our governments. Admonish is a good word. To remind. Many Christians don't give this concept a 2nd thought.

Your real concern here appears to be 'why do I think I even have the right to bring this up?'
Will I require your approval for future posts? Or is it wrong to post scripture?
Let me know when you are done.
You are a guest in the Eastern Orthodox subforum, so you may post in fellowship and ask questions but you are not permitted to 'teach'.

• Agree
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You are a guest in the Eastern Orthodox subforum, so you may post in fellowship and ask questions but you are not permitted to 'teach'.
They should not make posts available to read or see if all sites are not for all, or if one is not interested in a Religion.
I saw the post and it interested me.
Tell me how to block your religious site and I will do so. Probably not a method for it. I will just have to be careful to avoid religious sites. It is scripture, Iron sharpening Iron, and spiritual discussions I am looking for. If scripture is teaching. Then I am really in the wrong place.

Thank you for directing me away from your area.

Peace and Blessings.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They should not make posts available to read or see if all sites are not for all, or if one is not interested in a Religion.
I saw the post and it interested me.
Tell me how to block your religious site and I will do so. Probably not a method for it. I will just have to be careful to avoid religious sites. It is scripture, Iron sharpening Iron, and spiritual discussions I am looking for. If scripture is teaching. Then I am really in the wrong place.

Thank you for directing me away from your area.

Peace and Blessings.
I would encourage perusing some of Rus’ posts not to criticize you in any way. His situation is unfortunate and he is bearing it well. I wish he and his family never experienced what they have but what he has posted is from someone who has “been there.” Please pray for him & his family.

Upvote 0