Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
I understand that, for Christians, they are saved by their faith in Christ.
But as I understand it, even so, they should still try their best to follow the law, commandments etc... though some of that changed around food and circumcision.

But what rules are Christians still supposed to follow to the best of their ability? Working on Sabbath? Making sacrifices? Are most of the Old Testament rules the ideal? etc.
Where is this set out?

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But as I understand it, even so, they should still try their best to follow the law, commandments etc... though some of that changed around food and circumcision.

But what rules are Christians still supposed to follow to the best of their ability? Working on Sabbath? Making sacrifices? Are most of the Old Testament rules the ideal? etc.
Where is this set out?
Jesus said that the greatest commandment was to love the Lord your God with all your heart and the second is like it love your neighbor as yourself that sums up the law.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Where is this set out?
In your heart. That's where the Holy Spirit writes the rules.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Where is this set out?

It is set out in the teachings of the Church. We are told "love God with all your heart...and love your neighbor as yourself". We oftentimes look to the law as a list of "do's and don'ts" to help us along the way.

The sacrifices of the old law have been replaced now, ultimately, by the sacrifice of Christ, but we continue the sacrifice through the Eucharist.

There are also acts of charity we are required to do as a condition of our salvation. We cannot be passive participants.

• Agree
Reactions: panman
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where is this set out?
For adopted children, they must be adopted, first, then they begin to learn the rules of their new household.

Learning/obeying said rules without ever being adopted doesn't make one adopted.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Where is this set out?

The Lord writes His living Law in our hearts which is much better than and written law.

He Himself resides in us and inspires and empowers us to please Him.

• Winner
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Where is this set out?
It's a bit complex. We inherited much from Judaism, but in Judaism, there are many laws which are only for Jews, though there are universal laws and morals for everyone - Jews get those plus others. Christianity started among Jews, but the first generation of Christians was led by the Holy Spirit to understand that non-Jews can become Christians without having to follow everything that Jews have to follow (Acts 15). I do not take this as lowering the bar for Jewish Christians, but an acknowledgement that there are certain Old Testament obligations that non-Jews were not held to before the time of Christ, and that they are still not held to since the time of Christ. When people do not understand this backdrop, either Christian or non-Christian, they become confused about what should be allowed and what shouldn't be allowed.

A consequence of that is wrongly calling out negligence or hypocrisy or cherry-picking because they have the standards mixed up. In truth, this way of interpreting the Old Testament originated in Judaism before the time of Christ, and you can find it in the teachings of Jewish scholars - it wasn't something Christians made up in order to get by with less demands (though I can't speak for everyone who didn't know that). This parallels Martin Luther's sermon on how Christians should regard the Law of Moses here. When Martin Luther and Jewish teachers both say the same things about the Law, I pay attention.

Now that we have establishing that lens out of the way, consider what is repeated from the Old Testament in the New Testament, and to whom it was commanded. The teachings of Jesus need to be followed, as do all commands given to the general church. If someone is from a Jewish background, uphold the Law by faith (Romans 3:31). If not, live by faith in the relative freedom you have, but again, obey the New Testament commands. Sin offerings of course, are out because Jesus is the once-for-all sacrifice for sins.

Yes, this is a bit vague, but there's no simple source that cleanly and neatly delineates everything. Scriptures have to be pieced together to get the answer you are looking for.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Advisor Hat

This thread was moved from Ethics & Morality to Exploring Christianity.

As a reminder to members, the only non-Christian who is allowed to post is the OP. Christian members are not to debate each other but to direct their comments to the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For Catholics, we believe in Faith and Works.

Faith alone is a protestant doctrine and IMO it is not a dark/bad belief in any aspects.

Anybody can claim to be christian and maybe believe in Jesus etc but if he/she is a horrible person (there are many) then it's meaningless.

This forum is full of such crazies who totally reject reason and have shut their brains to the 1,200+pages made from early BC - early AD so they normally have unintelligent to even atrocious point of views that are tied by superstition and just uneducated on things that Science has explained and proven.
You'll read the most brainless nonsense to the most atrocious moral views (battered wives have to stay with their abusive husbands), and the worst part is the Christian thinks he is above reason and evidence because "he is the one who hears His voice".

So logically you begin to ask how can a person like that go straight to heaven - but me a random dude who does what he can as honest as he can, with whatever limits- goes to hell? Why want to be a Christian anyway, especially if this wacko is right? That's the bad thing about the "Faith alone" view, because technically based on that then this paragraph is right and reality just becomes even darker than it is.
I would address that but this not the forum for debate. Whether I will explain that with faith COMES works to the OP.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So it does look a bit blurry. Has anybody ever made a full list of what modern Christians should definitely be doing their best to follow?
no, because different people have different views on whether certain things are a sin that the Bible does not say for certain. A common example is alcohol some Christians feel that it is wrong to drink at all others consider it a sin only if done to excess ( being drunk.) However, we are not supposed to do things that make other people stumble or that other people feel is wrong around them. For example, I drink in moderation, but if I am around someone whom I know to be a recovering alcoholic I am not to drink around them as to not make them fall. Same thing, if someone asks me not to drink around them because he or she is uncomfortable with it.

Upvote 0