The Rule of faith and practice is not scripture "alone"

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I would dismiss the overwhelming consensus of Greek scholars so readily. But whether you or the modern translators are correct, the verse is not saying what our friend is suggesting it says.

I take a different approach to understanding God’s Word. For me, I believe the English does not conflict with the Greek. I may do an occasional Greek keyword study but it is very rare. My own language of English is what I rely upon. For many biblical reasons: I believe the KJV is divinely inspired and perfect but encourage others (including my wife) to always compare it with Modern translations and compare it with the context and to pray and or ask God for the understanding. I used to rely on commentaries, but I tend to just read a ton of articles on a particular verse that may be challenging or difficult. For me, morality and logic also play an important part of my understanding on Scripture, as well. Lately, I have really liked the AMPC translation when comparing it to the KJV.

Side Note:

The one instance the Greek was really helpful for me was the Greek word “Gehenna” (Which I believe is more clearer if it said Lake of Fire).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As we can see every verse you use to try and justify extra-biblical revelation can easily be refuted.

No you haven't, not even in the slightest as I hope to show.

That verse is speaking of assurance of salvation, not about God teaching us via extra-biblical revelations.

First of all, I don't use the words "extrabiblical revelations". It seems you are trying to create a straw man. It also depends what you mean specifically by "extrabiblical". I have already said that all we say and do and any revelation or word or prophecy we have from the Lord must be tried and judged by the body in Christ and Holy scriptures. This has been shown many times.

I believe all believers can still have revelations and prophecy and whatever spiritual gifts God wants to give them and that such things have in no way ceased. I also believe that no believer can even know who the Son of God is except by revelation of the Father as we read in the case of Peter, Jesus said the Father revealed it unto Him. This is a inward personal revelation where the Father reveals this truth to them. This is not only by them reading scripture. Christ dwells in their heart by faith.

Luke 10:22
"...no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him."

Jesus spoke of this spiritual vision to see with new eyes in revelation when he said,

John 6:40
And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."

Obviously many saw Jesus Christ in the flesh. But as Jesus said to Peter flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee. To see the Son is by revelation As it is today as well.

The early Corinthians and others had many who prophesied and who were prophets and had many other spiritual gifts and all they said was not written down. But Paul said to the Corinthians to let the prophets speak two or three and let the other judge. There is no verse in the entire scripture that says such a gift as prophets or apostles have ceased as of yet. No, not one.

The inferences that are used are weak attempts are seeking to answer their traditional view. But they do not do so as has been shown over and over again..

Back to the verse that you think is only speaking of "assurance of salvation". The verse does not say that, assurance is only as we abide in Christ (John 15:1-6 KJV) and continue in the faith and as we walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit (Romans 8:1 which should be in the text).

"16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:"(Romans 8:16 KJV)

This refers to the spiritual witness in our spirit (which is not the flesh or carnal mind) of us being children of God. The Spirit is telling us we are children of God. While this will bring assurance, the way I was using it here was to show that the Spirit bears witness in our spirit and this can easily be said to be a spoken witness that we are "the children of God".

The word "witness" means to testify by evidence or give testimony.

We see an example of this with Peter. When Jesus asked him,

"13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven."(Matthew 16:13-17 KJV

Here we see that the Father revealed to peter who Jesus was. Do you think the father cannot speak to peter in his heart in the spirit and tell him that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God? Yes he did, He only knew that Jesus was the Son of God by the revelation of the father speaking it to him. In fact no man knows who the Son of God is by by revelation of the Father, and no man knows who the Father is but by the revelation of the Son, as we read from Jesus words..

There is no escaping this inner Spiritual witness in our spirit. If we live in the spirit we also walk in the spirit and follow after the leading of God. The context is speaking in Romans 8 about believers through the Spirit mortifying the deeds of the body. But you mentioned this is to live a godly life. Yes we can only live a godly life as we are in the power of the Spirit and led by the Spirit. The spirit leads us into all truth and guides us. This is an inner witness as i have been showing.

Paul said

"9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."(Romans 8:9 KJV)

Here we see that to be in the Spirit is to have the Spirit of God dwell in us. We would not dare to say the Spirit of God is not personal and that God does not speak to our spiritual man. What Father does not talk to His children. Does God not speak to his children.If there were no inner communion with God in our heart then even our prayers would not be right for in prayer we talk to God and in the spirit we read of a certain kind of prayer. This is a few verses after the ones we are discussing.

"26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."(Romans 8:26)

When Paul says

"14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."(Romans 8:14 KJV)

Paul is using this understanding to say that we can only be sons of God if we are led by the Spirit. This includes all the aspects of being sons of God, our walk our hearing Gods voice and leading, our understanding of scripture, our power over the flesh and the world and the ability to mortify the deeds of the body through the Spirit.

But how are we led?

We hear His voice and he impressed in our spirit words and truth and scripture and we are pressed in spirit also and God can also speak through others as he works within them and he can and direct us by such a leading.

We read of such things in scripture as well

"Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,"(Acts 16:6 KJV)

"2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them."*Acts 13:2 KJV)

"11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. 13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away."(Luke 8:11-13 KJV)

"19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.(Matthew 10:19,20 KJV)

"14 For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. 15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; 16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, 17 That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man."(Job 33:14-17 KJV)

No its not.

That's the best answer you could find, to simply say , "no its not", I said

"To be led by the Spirit is to be led into all things and all understanding and all wisdom and all direction and all power that we need."

This is true because the "anointing" which is the unction by the Holy Spirit in us and as we are in the Father and the Son, will teach us all things and the Spirit of God will guide us into all truth. We cannot know anything or do anything or have any wisdom or direction unless we are in the Spirit, walking in the Spirit, listening to the teaching of the Spirit and empowered by the Spirit. Jesus Christ is made unto us wisdom and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.

This is clear to the unbiased reader and a clear correction to your understanding if you consider these words again...

"4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God...10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."(1 Cor 2:4-14 KJV)

And without Christ we can do nothing (John 15). It is God that works in us both to will and to do and to make us perfect unto every good work through Jesus Christ (Hebrews 13;20,21 KJV)

But that's not what Rom 8:13-14 says. It is only referring to the Spirit's leading in conquering sin, not in providing extra-biblical revelations.

The text speaks of being led by the Spirit. This leading is as we have spiritual ears and spiritual eyes to see and hear what the Spirit saith unto us.

We see similar in scripture of such spiritual leading and being directed by the Spirit . This is only known as we have spiritual ears and eyes.

"22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."(Revelation 3:22 KJV)

Now does the Spirit "saith": things to believers? Yes! and since this is a spiritual speaking it can only be understood and heard in spirit. If they have ears to hear. And we are also led by the Spirit this way as well.

As I have previously shown, God's metaphorical "voice" is scripture.

Jesus said His sheep hear His voice. That is simple enough for most to see. Jesus refers to men as sheep. and when they hear his voice they follow or are led by him. They are led by his VOICE. And we know that we are all taught of God as Jesus said and Paul says Jesus Christ is in every believer. If Jesus Christ is in us does he not speak? Why would any try to say that Jesus Christ in believers does not speak to their spiritual man and lead them by his word. His word is the seed in them, The very expression "thy word have I hid in my heart" implies God is talking to the heart by His word. Yes when a person is in faith they have this word of God working in them. But the scriptures do not work in those who do not believe. So simply reading scripture does not mean they hear God's word and have His word working IN them. The natural men cannot hear or know the things of God. Only the spiritual man can.

While we know that we are not literally "sheep". Jesus calls His sheep and they follow Him. We see this with Matthew he was called of Jesus and heard his voice and followed him or are led about by Him. This is because he was already one of Jesus sheep and he belonged to the Father already.
continued...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I have also previously explained to you, that verse is referring to specific unique situation when believers are persecuted and dragged before the courts, and the Spirit will give them the words to say. It doesn't tell us how that process works (presumably the Spirit takes control of their vocal organs), but as it is for a specific situation we cannot apply that as a general rule.
Again you error. My point was that God does speak in men. This is evident by the Father speaking in them (Matthew 10:20 KJV). This is proof that the Father can and does speak in believers. It does not say in the text that the Father will only speak in them. Jesus includes all men who believe hearing the father when he says

"44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me."(John 6:44,45 KJV)

This is clear they are all taught of God and hear the Father first and learned of the Father first, then they come to Jesus. So the words Jesus said to His disciples would apply to any who God leads into such a situation. And we saw that they shall all be taught of God and hear the Father and learn from the Father. ALL, is by no means just the apostles.

You are taking the verse out of context. The word the Israelites heard in their ears was that of their human teachers, not God speaking to them. Read the previous verse.

some thoughts on this verse from others. But notice it says "a" voice. This may connect with the teaching of the Spirit. John said we have no need that any man teach us but the anointing teacheth us all things and is truth.

some thoughts

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
And thine ears shall hear a word - A command or admonition. You shall not be left without spiritual guides and directors.
Behind thee - That is, says Vitringa, the voice of conscience, as an "invisible" guide, shall admonish you. The idea, however, seems to be that if they were ignorant of the way, or if they were inclined to err, they should be admonished of the true path which they ought to pursue. The idea is taken either from the practice of teachers who are represented as "following" their pupils and admonishing them if they were in danger of going astray (Grotius; or from shepherds, who are represented as following their flocks, and directing them when they wandered. The Jews understand this voice 'from behind' to be the כל בת bath kol - 'the daughter of the voice;' a divine admonition which they suppose attends the pious. The essential thought is, that they would not be left without a guide and instructor; that, if they were inclined to go astray, they would be recalled to the path of truth and duty. Perhaps there is the idea, also, that the admonition would come from some "invisible" influence, or from some unexpected quarter, as it is often the case that those who are inquiring on the subject of religion receive light from quarters where they least expected, and from sources to which they were not looking. It is also true that the admonitions of Providence, of conscience, and of the Holy Spirit, seem often to come from "behind" us. that is, they "recall" us from the path in which we were going, and restrain us from a course that would be fraught with danger."

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
"...This "voice behind" is by the Jews (e) interpreted of Bath Kol; and by others of the voice of conscience; but it rather intends the Spirit of God, and his grace;...This is the way, walk ye in it; it directs to Christ the way, and who is the only way of life and salvation to be walked in by faith,"

Geneva Study Bible
And thy ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, {s} walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.
(s) God will direct all your ways and appoint you how to go either hither or thither."

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
21. thine ears shall hear a word behind thee] that of Jehovah, walking like a Father behind His children. Cf. Isaiah 29:18."

I have already refuted that argument in a previous post.

"If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him" is a mistranslation of the KJV. Only the King James versions and its derivatives translate Eph 4:21 in that way, and it should not be taken out of context from the previous verse. Other bible versions give a more accurately translation of these 2 verses. It does not say we hear Christ personally, nor does it say we are taught by him as the KJV erroneously makes it appear.

I disagree with you 100 percent here and i trust and believe the word from Holy scripture in the KJV.

If we look at the section of scripture there we see this is the case.

"15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. 17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: 19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. 20 But ye have not so learned Christ; 21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:"(Ephesians 4:15-21 KJV)

Obviously the Context is Jesus is the head of the church and as the head he works effectually in every part to make increase of the body where they have heard him and been taught by him and through Him they edify one another. Then Paul says statements of those who are alienated from the life of God and in the vanity of their mind and blind in their heart as a comparison to the true believers who have had Jesus Christ work effectually in then and renew their mind and teach them. He is saying that the way they can know they are in Christ if they have heard him and been taught by him. Paul said a similar thing to the Corinthians when he said

"5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?"(2 Cor 13:5 KJV)

The KJV gets it right. It is amazing how one word can change men's views of God working in them and hearing His voice.
The "anointing" in this verse is referring to biblical teaching, not God. We can tell this from the neuter pronoun "it" at the end of the verse. Plus the "abides in you" here is clearly referring to the same "abides in you" spoken of a few verses earlier - "and the word of God abides in you" (v14) and "If what you heard from the beginning abides in you" (v24).
Did you actually read the verse? You are very wrong in this section.

John shows them that they did not need men to teach them. He wrote this in contrast to those who were deceiving them. He says that the anointing is OF HIM, and John does connect this anointing abiding in them to the word of God (the seed Christ in them as he mentions in 1 John 3:9) John also writes that this abiding is in Him, in God. We read,

"24 Let that therefore abide in you [showing the inner spiritual reality here], which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you[this is speaking of an inward spiritual work], and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth [Jesus said he is the way the truth and the life and that the truth would make them free, if the Son therefore shall make you free...], and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him [there is a overlapping of word here John speaks of the anointing and the Son and the father and they abiding in the Son and in the Father and in the anointing and in the word. We often see similar expression used to describe Jesus Even John says in the first chapter of this book that the word of life was seen and handled and he is referring to Jesus Christ. In 1 John 3:9 John says that whosoever is born of God hath His seed in him]. 28 And now, little children, abide in him [again John brings it back to abiding in him, personal pro nound]; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming."(1 John 2:24-28 KJV

Consider also how John uses the "word" in his discussion when speaking of Jesus Christ who is the Word of God

"1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; 2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us ) 3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ."( 1 John 1:1-3 KJV)

The "anointing" in this verse is referring to biblical teaching, not God.

The word "anointing" means - "the special edowment ("chrism") of the Holy Spirit, unction.

The same word in Greek is used in a few verses above vs 27 where we read,

"20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things."(1 John 2:20"

The word "unction" is the same word in Greek as "anointing", showing that John is writing about the spiritual revealing and teaching in their hearts by the Spirit of God. In fact John says we know ALL things in the unction from the Holy One. This spiritual teaching comes from God the Holy one and is His work in us. (maybe re-read 1 Cor 2 again , maybe about 100 times in prayer) This is similar to when Jesus spoke of the Holy Ghost guiding them into all truth.

The very fact that John said they did not need a man to teach them is a clue to the spiritual aspect of what he is saying. The word of God is connected to the anointing and to Him, or God in the Son and the father in the section.

When God speaks in us and leads us this anointing or unction is the endowment of the Holy Spirit working in us. This is the way we know ALL things as 1Cor 2 shows as well. It comes directly from God in us and is from His power and life and the Holy Spirit.

Those were actual words spoken to Philip by the Spirit. Luke quotes the exact words the Spirit said in quotation marks. If the Spirit did not say those exact words to Philip then Luke was lying.

My point in showing this was that the Spirit spoke to Philip and directed him where to go and led him. Luke wrote what he heard from Philip. This shows clearly that God does speak directly to believers (in this case a non apostle) and that this is part of what it means to be led of the Spirit and to hear His voice.

Again you have been shown to be in error in these comments you make. In every one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
First of all, I don't use the words "extrabiblical revelations". It seems you are trying to create a straw man. It also depends what you mean specifically by "extrabiblical".

I am referring to your claim that we receive new revelations from God outside of scripture. Such as those examples you gave where feelings or thoughts came to your mind which you then verbalized it into "God told me...."

I have already said that all we say and do and any revelation or word or prophecy we have from the Lord must be tried and judged by the body in Christ and Holy scriptures. This has been shown many times.

Why would a prophecy from the Lord need to be judged by the body? It was either God speaking or it was a false prophecy.

I believe all believers can still have revelations and prophecy and whatever spiritual gifts God wants to give them and that such things have in no way ceased.

What people call prophecy today does not match the biblical definition of prophecy. Today's prophecies are nothing more than fuzzy feelings popping into people's heads which are then presumptuously declared to be a 'word from the Lord' yet are regularly proved to be false. Whereas in scripture prophecy is described as God speaking distinct words to the prophet who could then quote those words and infallibly say "Thus says the Lord...".

I also believe that no believer can even know who the Son of God is except by revelation of the Father as we read in the case of Peter, Jesus said the Father revealed it unto Him. This is a inward personal revelation where the Father reveals this truth to them. This is not only by them reading scripture. Christ dwells in their heart by faith.

Luke 10:22
"...no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him."

The call to salvation is not receiving a new extra biblical revelation. What is revealed to the believer is the truth of scripture. It is impossible to have faith without being made aware of the gospel found in scripture.

Rom 10:14-17 "And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?And how are they to hear without someone preaching? .... So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."

Jesus spoke of this spiritual vision to see with new eyes in revelation when he said,

John 6:40
And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."

Obviously many saw Jesus Christ in the flesh. But as Jesus said to Peter flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee. To see the Son is by revelation As it is today as well.

"Seeing Christ" is not referring to seeing Christ visibly, or even a vision in your minds eye. "Beholding Christ" (NASB) or "looking to Christ" (NIV) is not receiving a new revelation. It is to regard him as your Savior.

The early Corinthians and others had many who prophesied and who were prophets and had many other spiritual gifts and all they said was not written down. But Paul said to the Corinthians to let the prophets speak two or three and let the other judge.

The reason Paul told the Corinthians to judge prophecies, is because false prophecy was rife in those days. Just as it is today.

There is no verse in the entire scripture that says such a gift as prophets or apostles have ceased as of yet. No, not one.

That's not true. Paul said that apostles and prophets were only given for the foundation of the church.

Eph 2:20 "built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone".

The foundation of the church was completed nearly 2000 years ago. Since then there have been no apostles or prophets.

Paul told the Corinthians that prophecy would cease when "completeness" comes in 1 Cor 13:8-13. And the context of that passage makes it clear he was referring to the completion of the canon.

"16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:"(Romans 8:16 KJV)

This refers to the spiritual witness in our spirit (which is not the flesh or carnal mind) of us being children of God. The Spirit is telling us we are children of God. While this will bring assurance, the way I was using it here was to show that the Spirit bears witness in our spirit and this can easily be said to be a spoken witness that we are "the children of God".

The word "witness" means to testify by evidence or give testimony.

You are quite wrong here. The Holy Spirit does not testify "in" our spirit as you claim. It says He testifies "WITH" our spirit. All bible versions are unanimous in this translation. So there is no "speaking" in us or to us involved.

We see an example of this with Peter. When Jesus asked him,

"13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven."(Matthew 16:13-17 KJV

Here we see that the Father revealed to peter who Jesus was. Do you think the father cannot speak to peter in his heart in the spirit and tell him that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God? Yes he did, He only knew that Jesus was the Son of God by the revelation of the father speaking it to him. In fact no man knows who the Son of God is by by revelation of the Father, and no man knows who the Father is but by the revelation of the Son, as we read from Jesus words..

Again "speaking" is your own word you are adding to this passage. There is no indication that God spoke to Peter via a prophecy, a vision, or any other means. It says the Father "revealed" it to Peter. Of course God opens our eyes spiritually to the truth about Christ - it's called being born again. But this is not an extra-biblical message that God speaks to us in our hearts. The message itself comes from scripture.

Rom 10:14-17 "And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?And how are they to hear without someone preaching? .... So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."

Paul said

"9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."(Romans 8:9 KJV)

Here we see that to be in the Spirit is to have the Spirit of God dwell in us. We would not dare to say the Spirit of God is not personal and that God does not speak to our spiritual man. What Father does not talk to His children. Does God not speak to his children.If there were no inner communion with God in our heart then even our prayers would not be right for in prayer we talk to God and in the spirit we read of a certain kind of prayer. This is a few verses after the ones we are discussing.

Yet again you are using the words "speak" and "talk" when the passage says nothing of the sort. Of course we are indwelt by the Spirit, but that does not mean He speaks to us via feelings which you then verbalize into "God told me...". God speaks to us through scripture.

When Paul says

"14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."(Romans 8:14 KJV)

Paul is using this understanding to say that we can only be sons of God if we are led by the Spirit. This includes all the aspects of being sons of God, our walk our hearing Gods voice and leading, our understanding of scripture, our power over the flesh and the world and the ability to mortify the deeds of the body through the Spirit.

But how are we led?

We hear His voice and he impressed in our spirit words and truth and scripture and we are pressed in spirit also and God can also speak through others as he works within them and he can and direct us by such a leading.

No, you are taking this verse out of context. Being "led" here is referring to the Spirit to leading us into a godly lifestyle, rather than following the desires of the flesh (see previous verse). It's not about hearing voices or having feelings.

We read of such things in scripture as well

"Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,"(Acts 16:6 KJV)

It doesn't say the Holy Spirit gave them a feeling not to preach in Asia. It doesn't say how the Spirit spoke to them. Presumably it was via prophecy.

"2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them."*Acts 13:2 KJV)

The Spirit spoke those actual words. They appear in quote marks. It was not a feeling.

"11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. 13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away."(Luke 8:11-13 KJV)

What was planted in their hearts was the written word of God. Not a feeling.

"19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.(Matthew 10:19,20 KJV)

See my previous post. I have already explained this verse to you more than once. I'm not doing it again.

"14 For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. 15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; 16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, 17 That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man."(Job 33:14-17 KJV)

That is referring to God speaking to man via prophecy.

Numbers 12:6 "If there is a prophet among you, I the Lord make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream."

Which is not what you are trying to claim, that God speaks to us via feelings in the heart. You've made no mention of dreams and visions in your discourse.

That's the best answer you could find, to simply say , "no its not", I said

You made an unwarranted assertion devoid of any scriptural proof. You can hardly complain if I did the same.

"To be led by the Spirit is to be led into all things and all understanding and all wisdom and all direction and all power that we need."

This is true because the "anointing" which is the unction by the Holy Spirit in us and as we are in the Father and the Son, will teach us all things and the Spirit of God will guide us into all truth. We cannot know anything or do anything or have any wisdom or direction unless we are in the Spirit, walking in the Spirit, listening to the teaching of the Spirit and empowered by the Spirit. Jesus Christ is made unto us wisdom and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.

Where in scripture does it say the Spirit will "guide us into all truth". Look very carefully at the context of the verse you are about to quote.

This is clear to the unbiased reader and a clear correction to your understanding if you consider these words again...

"4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God...10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."(1 Cor 2:4-14 KJV)

There is nothing in that passage that says God speaks to us by extra-biblical revelations from our feelings.

And without Christ we can do nothing (John 15).

The context of that verse is bearing fruit. Without Christ we bear no fruit.

It is God that works in us both to will and to do and to make us perfect unto every good work through Jesus Christ (Hebrews 13;20,21 KJV)

"Working in us" is nothing to with giving extra-biblical revelations from our feelings. This closing benediction of Hebrews is saying that God will work in us "that which is pleasing in His sight" ie good fruit.

The text speaks of being led by the Spirit. This leading is as we have spiritual ears and spiritual eyes to see and hear what the Spirit saith unto us.

Romans 8:13-14 says nothing about seeing or hearing. Those are your own words.

We see similar in scripture of such spiritual leading and being directed by the Spirit . This is only known as we have spiritual ears and eyes.

"22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."(Revelation 3:22 KJV)

That is a completely wrong interpretation gained from taking the verse out of context. What the Spirit said to the churches in Rev 3:22 was the messages given to the 7 churches earlier in the chapter. It is nothing to do with the Spirit speaking to people with "spiritual ears"

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus said His sheep hear His voice. That is simple enough for most to see. Jesus refers to men as sheep. and when they hear his voice they follow or are led by him. They are led by his VOICE. And we know that we are all taught of God as Jesus said and Paul says Jesus Christ is in every believer. If Jesus Christ is in us does he not speak? Why would any try to say that Jesus Christ in believers does not speak to their spiritual man and lead them by his word. His word is the seed in them, The very expression "thy word have I hid in my heart" implies God is talking to the heart by His word. Yes when a person is in faith they have this word of God working in them. But the scriptures do not work in those who do not believe. So simply reading scripture does not mean they hear God's word and have His word working IN them. The natural men cannot hear or know the things of God. Only the spiritual man can.

While we know that we are not literally "sheep". Jesus calls His sheep and they follow Him. We see this with Matthew he was called of Jesus and heard his voice and followed him or are led about by Him. This is because he was already one of Jesus sheep and he belonged to the Father already.
continued...

You are quite wrong here. The metaphorical "voice" of God is him speaking to us through scripture, not speaking to us via some inner feeling in our hearts. Every mention God's "voice" in scripture is either his literal audible voice or, metaphorically, his written word. I listed all the scripture references in my previous post. There is not a single reference to God's "voice" being some inner prompting.

Again you error. My point was that God does speak in men. This is evident by the Father speaking in them (Matthew 10:20 KJV). This is proof that the Father can and does speak in believers. It does not say in the text that the Father will only speak in them.

Read the passage carefully. This is what it says

Matthew 10:20 "But when they hand you over, do not worry about how or what you are to say; for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say. For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you."

It doesn't say anything about the Spirit giving the believers a message, it is the Spirit giving a message to the people dragging them through the courts. It says the Spirit will give them the words to say. The words they speak are not their words, they are the Spirit's. This is nothing to do with God speaking a message to believers through their hearts as you claim. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Jesus includes all men who believe hearing the father when he says

"44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me."(John 6:44,45 KJV)

As I previously explained, there is no indication that "heard" in this verse is referring to hearing some inner extra-biblical message. It is referring to being drawn by the Father and coming to Christ. Verse 45 is a parallel of v44. Everyone who is drawn by the Father comes to Christ (v44). Everyone who "heard" the Father comes to Christ (v45). Clearly 'hearing' here is synonymous to 'being drawn'.

And this verse is referring only to salvation. There is no indication in scripture that God "draws" believers in other situations, least of all by extra-biblical revelations.

But notice it says "a" voice. This may connect with the teaching of the Spirit.

"a" voice does not mean "His" voice.

some thoughts on this verse from others.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
And thine ears shall hear a word - A command or admonition. You shall not be left without spiritual guides and directors.
Behind thee - That is, says Vitringa, the voice of conscience, as an "invisible" guide, shall admonish you. The idea, however, seems to be that if they were ignorant of the way, or if they were inclined to err, they should be admonished of the true path which they ought to pursue. The idea is taken either from the practice of teachers who are represented as "following" their pupils and admonishing them if they were in danger of going astray (Grotius; or from shepherds, who are represented as following their flocks, and directing them when they wandered. The Jews understand this voice 'from behind' to be the כל בת bath kol - 'the daughter of the voice;' a divine admonition which they suppose attends the pious. The essential thought is, that they would not be left without a guide and instructor; that, if they were inclined to go astray, they would be recalled to the path of truth and duty. Perhaps there is the idea, also, that the admonition would come from some "invisible" influence, or from some unexpected quarter, as it is often the case that those who are inquiring on the subject of religion receive light from quarters where they least expected, and from sources to which they were not looking. It is also true that the admonitions of Providence, of conscience, and of the Holy Spirit, seem often to come from "behind" us. that is, they "recall" us from the path in which we were going, and restrain us from a course that would be fraught with danger."

Did you not notice that Barnes does not endorse Vitringa's idea that it is "the voice of conscience, as an "invisible" guide".

Behind thee - That is, says Vitringa, the voice of conscience, as an "invisible" guide, shall admonish you. The idea, however, seems to be that if they were ignorant of the way, or if they were inclined to err, they should be admonished of the true path which they ought to pursue. The idea is taken either from the practice of teachers who are represented as "following" their pupils and admonishing them if they were in danger of going astray (Grotius; or from shepherds, who are represented as following their flocks, and directing them when they wandered.

He only goes on to say that "perhaps" this an alternative interpretation.

Anyway I thought you previously said God's voice was not your conscience?

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
"...This "voice behind" is by the Jews (e) interpreted of Bath Kol; and by others of the voice of conscience; but it rather intends the Spirit of God, and his grace;...This is the way, walk ye in it; it directs to Christ the way, and who is the only way of life and salvation to be walked in by faith,"

How very dishonest of you to misquote Gill. I have highlighted the words you cut out.

This "voice behind" is by the Jews (e) interpreted of Bath Kol; and by others of the voice of conscience; but it rather intends the Spirit of God, and his grace; though it seems best to understand it of the Scriptures of truth, the word of God, the only rule of faith and practice; the language of which is, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it; it directs to Christ the way, and who is the only way of life and salvation to be walked in by faith,

I disagree with you 100 percent here and i trust and believe the word from Holy scripture in the KJV.

If we look at the section of scripture there we see this is the case.

"15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. 17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: 19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. 20 But ye have not so learned Christ; 21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:"(Ephesians 4:15-21 KJV)

You are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with the overwhelming majority of Greek scholars who translate this verse very differently to KJV's interpretation. Every modern translation renders v21 as "You have heard about him and have been taught in him" (or similar).

Did you actually read the verse? You are very wrong in this section.

John shows them that they did not need men to teach them. He wrote this in contrast to those who were deceiving them. He says that the anointing is OF HIM, and John does connect this anointing abiding in them to the word of God (the seed Christ in them as he mentions in 1 John 3:9) John also writes that this abiding is in Him, in God. We read,

"24 Let that therefore abide in you [showing the inner spiritual reality here], which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you[this is speaking of an inward spiritual work], and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth [Jesus said he is the way the truth and the life and that the truth would make them free, if the Son therefore shall make you free...], and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him [there is a overlapping of word here John speaks of the anointing and the Son and the father and they abiding in the Son and in the Father and in the anointing and in the word. We often see similar expression used to describe Jesus Even John says in the first chapter of this book that the word of life was seen and handled and he is referring to Jesus Christ. In 1 John 3:9 John says that whoso

The "anointing" that "abides in them" is the same thing that "abides in them" that John refers to twice a few verses earlier v14 and 24, which is referring to the word of God. It is the same Greek word menó. The connection is obvious and cannot be ignored.

It cannot refer to the Holy Spirit as John says that "it has taught you". Whatever taught them was not a person. John would not use the neuter pronoun is he was referring to the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will get to your errors and many confusing statemennts in time hopefully. I can answer one of them right now.There are soo many errors in your words it takes a long time. I will try to discuss in smaller portions.
You said,

The call to salvation is not receiving a new extra biblical revelation [emphasis mine]. What is revealed to the believer is the truth of scripture. It is impossible to have faith without being made aware of the gospel found in scripture.[emphasis mine]

You keep using the expression "extra biblical revelation. Which as I understand you mean no revelation or faith or salvation or any spiritual leading inward or God working inward and speaking and leading and empowering anyone without scripture. This is your chief error.

We read of many men who had faith and were saved and were BORN AGAIN and led by God and heard His voice, having the Seed (Christ, the word of Christ) in them WITHOUT SCRIPTURE. (remember I am in now way saying scripture is not vital and very profitable, for it is). But consider your correction, notice that all these people mentioned were saved, born again, had the word of God, the seed in them, were led by God heard God and did not have scripture yet. So your statement that "It is impossible to have faith without being made aware of the gospel found in scripture.". Is false and exposed as darkness.

"1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,[Christ in you is the hope of glory Col 1:26,27, this mystery was there but hidden] the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report. 3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. 4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. 5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. 7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. 8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. 9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: 10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. 11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised. 12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable."(Hebrews 11:1-12 KJC)

and Christ dwells in the heart by faith (Ephesians 3:17 KJV)

13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law,[have not the scriptures] do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) 16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."(Romans 2:14,15 KJV)

The Gentiles did not have scripture here yet they can be justified vs 13, and this work is inward in their hearts. God searches the hearts. They also have the true Light which lighteth every man that cometh into the world (John 1:9 KJV). God will judge the secrets of men as Paul said. David also spoke of this inward hidden place of the heart and said,

"6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom."(Psalm 51:6 KJV)

Again I have been speaking alot about the mystery, which seems to be hidden from you. Your words show your understanding or lack of, in this great mystery.

You miss what Paul is getting at here and the deep truth in Romans 10.

Paul speaks of the mystery in Romans 10. He shows that God is the divine preacher who has preached in the hearts of all men and whoseoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

"12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him."(Rom 10:12 KJV).

This whosoever includes all men of all time. The natural question them, might be as Paul assumed in the response "how shall they hear without a preacher?. Notice the question here, this is not an exclaimation mark !. Paul answered that question and said,

"18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world."

He quotes Psalm 19 showing that God has sent His word throughout the entire world. This word is also in their hearts as he spoke of when quoting Deuteronomy 30. And the "it" there Paul says is Christ in them, speaking and for them to hear and do.

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;"

again this is part of the mystery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
You keep using the expression "extra biblical revelation. Which as I understand you means no revelation or faith or salvation or any spiritual leading inward or God working inward and speaking and leading and empowering anyone without scripture. This is your chief error.

We read of many men who had faith and were saved and were BORN AGAIN and led by God and heard His voice, having the Seed (Christ, the word of Christ) in them WITHOUT SCRIPTURE. (remember I am in now way saying scripture is not vital and very profitable, for it is). But consider your correction, notice that all these people mentioned were saved, born again, had the word of God, the seed in them, were led by God heard God and did not have scripture yet. So your statement that "It is impossible to have faith without being made aware of the gospel found in scripture.". Is false and exposed as darkness.

No, that is not what I mean by extra-biblical revelations. I explained exactly what I meant by it in my last post....

I am referring to your claim that we receive new revelations from God outside of scripture. Such as those examples you gave where feelings or thoughts came to your mind which you then verbalized into "God told me...."

You miss what Paul is getting at here and the deep truth in Romans 10.

Paul speaks of the mystery in Romans 10. He shows that God is the divine preacher who has preached in the hearts of all men and whoseoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

"12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him."(Rom 10:12 KJV).

This whosoever includes all men of all time. The natural question them, might be as Paul assumed in the response "how shall they hear without a preacher?. Notice the question here, this is not an exclaimation mark !. Paul answered that question and said,

"18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world."

He quotes Psalm 19 showing that God has sent His word throughout the entire world. This word is also in their hearts as he spoke of when quoting Deuteronomy 30. And the "it" there Paul says is Christ in them, speaking and for them to hear and do.

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;"

again this is part of the mystery.

No, God is not the preacher in Rom 10:14. There is absolutely no reason to assume that. Perhaps you are getting confused again by another dubious KJV translation. The noun "preacher" does not appear in the Greek. It is the verb "preaching" (kēryssontos).

The reason for the question mark is Paul is asking a rhetorical question. The implied answer is they won't hear the gospel unless someone preaches, and they won't therefore believe in Christ.

And no Paul is not rewriting Deuteronomy 30 here (as we've already been through). It is exegetically irresponsible to force Paul's comparison back into Deut 30 and so change it's meaning.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, that is not what I mean by extra-biblical revelations. I explained exactly what I meant by it in my last post....

I am referring to your claim that we receive new revelations from God outside of scripture. Such as those examples you gave where feelings or thoughts came to your mind which you then verbalized into "God told me...."

If we cannot take your own words to mean what you say, then how can your words stand.? And if when you get corrected you deflect to another issue how can you admit any error and grow in the Lord in this way?

I’m not just trying to be right over you. I seriously am speaking truth to help in what I say.

If you say clearly in your words,

“"It is impossible to have faith without being made aware of the gospel found in scripture”

And I show you clearly that you were in error there and then you try to deflect your response and create another issue to the statement you made, for whatever reason, that is not right. I address you erroneous words and showed clearly that that statement was not right. I used Hebrews 11 and Romans 2:15 to show this and I could use other scriptures as well.

As far as me hearing the Lord direct my steps and speak to me as many have, this is found all over scripture in the old and new testaments. In fact all believers hear the voice of the shepherd.

I have a clear example of Philip being told by the Spirit who spoke to him, to go and goin himself to the chariot Acts 8. I could give many other examples.

God still speaks to his children this way and many ways. If God is in every believer and we are to talk to him in prayer do we suppose a God cannot talk back and speak to our spiritual man?

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
If we cannot take your own words to mean what you say, then how can your words stand.?

My phrase "extra-biblical revelation" means exactly what I said it means.

extra-Biblical - Wiktionary

Etymology
extra- +‎ Biblical

Adjective
extra-Biblical (not comparable)
Pertaining to information or content outside the Bible.

It is your understanding of the term which is wrong.

If you say clearly in your words,

“"It is impossible to have faith without being made aware of the gospel found in scripture”

And I show you clearly that you were in error there and then you try to deflect your response and create another issue to the statement you made, for whatever reason, that is not right. I address you erroneous words and showed clearly that that statement was not right. I used Hebrews 11 and Romans 2:15 to show this and I could use other scriptures as well.

You have not shown me to be in error. The OT fathers of the faith did not have scripture but God still spoke to them. And it wasn't simply a feeling. We see examples of this throughout Genesis. It was His spoken word they had faith in. In any case, that was a completely different dispensation to what we have today and you are wrong to use that to claim that people can receive extra-biblical revelations today.

As far as me hearing the Lord direct my steps and speak to me as many have, this is found all over scripture in the old and new testaments. In fact all believers hear the voice of the shepherd.

God still speaks to his children this way and many ways. If God is in every believer and we are to talk to him in prayer do we suppose a God cannot talk back and speak to our spiritual man?

What you teach is irresponsible and dangerous. Saying that people can have a feeling and that is God's voice speaking to them and telling them to do things is a false and dangerous teaching not found in scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will adjust the expression to Sola scriptura.

"Sola Scriptura (Latin: by scripture alone) is a theological doctrine held by some Christian denominations that the Christian scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith and practice."
1st .Thank you for the work put into your OP. three posts.
I see your point and agree.

Perhaps im over simplifying it to say.. As a back up measure of the validity of any ongoing revelation of truth ..scripture alone is the measure to use.
But written scripture alone does not by itself
bring ongoing revelation or understanding.
Nor by itself wrought true transformation and change. That is a work of the Holy Spirit in conjuction with our surrender in obedience to the Holy Spirit.

In short we do not worship "the book"..
But the one the bookis pointing to.

Yes/no ?
I think yes and agree with the premise your presenting.

Though also as an after note .I view faith as and action taken..not just some mystical indefinable thing a person has.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you teach is irresponsible and dangerous. Telling people that they can have a feeling and that is God's voice speaking to them and telling them to do things is a false and dangerous teaching not found in scripture.
Actually he didnt say that at all.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Rule of faith and practice
is not scripture alone

PART 1 (Contnued in part 2)

A correction to the “sola scriptura” teaching, which says “scripture ALONE”.
Common misconception is that it means your faith is only about the Bible.
It is not.
Sola Scriptura means your doctrine is based solely on the Bible.
It's about keeping it pure.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Common misconception is that it means your faith is only about the Bible.
It is not.
Sola Scriptura means your doctrine is based solely on the Bible.
It's about keeping it pure.

John 7:16, 17

"Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."

Every believer has Jesus Christ in them and so he teaches every believer. (Yes he confirms and testifies of the truth with scripture also. But the primary rule is in the Spirit in Christ as we live and move and walk in the new creation as I have said in my original post)

these verses speak to what I have been saying

"3 Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you. 4 For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you. 5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?"(2 Cor 13:2-5 KJV)

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To all:

"3 Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you. 4 For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you. 5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?"(2 Cor 13:2-5 KJV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The "anointing" that "abides in them" is the same thing that "abides in them" that John refers to twice a few verses earlier v14 and 24, which is referring to the word of God. It is the same Greek word menó. The connection is obvious and cannot be ignored.

It cannot refer to the Holy Spirit as John says that "it has taught you. Whatever taught them was not a person. John would not use the neuter pronoun is he was referring to the Holy Spirit.
This is not correct here as well. This is a deep mystery and I hope to show part of it here.

We read in the text that "word of God abideth in you " (1 John 2:14 KJV)

we also read , "the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you..."(1 John 2:27 KJV)

and we also read in connection to these tow aspects of God, "But ye have an unction from the Holy One"(1 John 2:20 KJV)

Again we read, "Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father."( 1 John 2:24 KJV)

and finally we read
"but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

These verses show the answer, but again it is hidden.

Like Heat from the Fire

When we read that the word is "OF" God or the unction "FROM" God, or the anointing is "OF" Him (God). This is the clue. It is like fire that is in a Lantern. The fire is the source of the heat that comes FROM, or OF the fire. The heat is directly part OF the fire but we do not specifically call the heat the fire although "it" is part of the fire. Similarily, I understand the anointing is of the Spirit or from the Spirit. Believers in Christ are called "children of God". This is because God dwells in us and he that is joined to the Lord is one spirit. God gives us life and power and unction and all things through Jesus Christ in us. When we feel the heat from a fire we still say the heat is the fire but "it" (the heat) is distinct in some ways and because the heat warms us we do not say that we are the fire or the heat. But we are in the fire and the heat. When Jesus spoke of the Holy Ghost He said that He shall be in you.The work of the Spirit in us is distinct in some ways but still OF the Spirit and effects our spirit.

Again these secrets of men are just that "secrets" and mysteries. How God works in us and the power of the Spirit working in us is a great mystery. How the anointing which is OF God teaches us all things is a mystery.

But this word anointing I already showed you that it means means - "the special edowment ("chrism") of the Holy Spirit, unction." This work of the Holy Spirit is in all believers and no person can know anything of God unless the Holy Spirit reveals it to them (as I have many times referred to in 1 Cor 2 KJV). But we can directly connect the "anointing" and "unction" which teaches us all things "to the Holy Spirit which teaches us all things as Paul said

"12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:"(1 Cor 2:12-14 KJV)

We also read in 1 John 2:27 that the anointing is "truth" and he connects the anointing with being IN HIM

"...and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.""

We know that Jesus Chris is the truth and that the truth makes us free, this truth is the Son in us and His work in us. Jesus connects the truth with Himself when he says.

"32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free....36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed."(John 8:32,36 KJV)

We do not disconnect the truth from the Son. Jesus said he is he is the way the truth and the life. Nor do we disconnect the truth from the anointing.Neither do we disconnect the anointing of the Spirit from the Spirit. It is the Holy Ghost who teaches us all things spiritual (1 Cor 2).

There is another mystery which may be connected to this in some way, but it is very profound and that is the fact that Jesus Christ is in every believer. Yet we do not say that there are many Jesus Christ all over the Earth. But clearly God dwells in every believer, Jesus Christ is in us except we be reprobates ( 2 Cor 13:5 KJV)

I understand this truth kind of like this. If you were to look at the dew drops on every blade of grass in the morning Sun, you would see a reflection of the Sun in each dew drop, yet there is one Sun in the sky. Or if you were to look at a broken piece of glass on the ground you would see your reflection in every piece of glass yet one glass. So I see that Jesus Christ can be seated in heaven and also n us.

When we discuss deep spiritual things the natural understandings can only go so far. This in case would be as the wonderful "Trinity" understanding of One God in essence and substance of being, yet God exist in three persons, yet one God.

We see all three hinted to in 1 John 2

"ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father."( 1 John 2:24 KJV)"

we read of the anointing which is of Him (the Spirit) abiding IN us and the continuing IN the Son and IN the father.

All this understanding is an inward spiritual reality to every believer. The words "abideth in you". Show the spiritual aspect. Jesus Christ said he is in us and we in him (1 John 15) and without Him we can do nothing. I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. When we are strengthened by God, through Jesus Christ, given life in Christ, anointed by the Spirit these expression do not make us God, rather we are given that life in God and of God as new creations.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The metaphorical "voice" of God is him speaking to us through scripture, not speaking to us via some inner feeling in our hearts. Every mention God's "voice" in scripture is either his literal audible voice or, metaphorically, his written word. I listed all the scripture references in my previous post. There is not a single reference to God's "voice" being some inner prompting..

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 7:16, 17

"Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."

Every believer has Jesus Christ in them
It's the Holy Spirit that dwells in us, not Jesus Christ.
But that's perhaps just semantics, since God is One and they refer to the Holy Spirit as the Spirit of Christ also.
But it's us being in Christ that is the Way.
Jesus said "the Kingdom of God is AMONG you" when He spoke to the Pharisees.
He referred to Himself.
and so he teaches every believer. (Yes he confirms and testifies of the truth with scripture also. But the primary rule is in the Spirit in Christ as we live and move and walk in the new creation as I have said in my original post)
You still get these things from the Bible though.
And what else can we use in stead of the Bible, to learn about God and Jesus and the teachings?
I suppose you could use anything you like, but then you risk learning false teachings.
"A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump."
So we stick to the Bible for teachings and reference and verification.

So basically you use only Scripture for your teachings too.
That's Sola Scriptura.
That does NOT mean you can't or shouldn't have any interaction with God.
Scripture teaches that too, as you show in your Bible quotes.

Sola Scriptura does NOT mean that the only thing you do as a Christian is read the Bible.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
To all:

these verses speak to what i have been saying

Paul was defending his apostleship here. Apostles were authorized spokesmen of Christ. We are not apostles (despite you presumptuously claiming to be one).

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
This is not correct here as well. This is a deep mystery and I hope to show part of it here.

We read in the text that "word of God abideth in you " (1 John 2:14 KJV)

we also read , "the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you..."(1 John 2:27 KJV)

and we also read in connection to these tow aspects of God, "But ye have an unction from the Holy One"(1 John 2:20 KJV)

Again we read, "Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father."( 1 John 2:24 KJV)

and finally we read
"but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

These verses show the answer, but again it is hidden.

Like Heat from the Fire

When we read that the word is "OF" God or the unction "FROM" God, or the anointing is "OF" Him (God). This is the clue. It is like fire that is in a Lantern. The fire is the source of the heat that comes FROM, or OF the fire. The heat is directly part OF the fire but we do not specifically call the heat the fire although "it" is part of the fire. Similarily, I understand the anointing is of the Spirit or from the Spirit. Believers in Christ are called "children of God". This is because God dwells in us and he that is joined to the Lord is one spirit. God gives us life and power and unction and all things through Jesus Christ in us. When we feel the heat from a fire we still say the heat is the fire but "it" (the heat) is distinct in some ways and because the heat warms us we do not say that we are the fire or the heat. But we are in the fire and the heat. When Jesus spoke of the Holy Ghost He said that He shall be in you.The work of the Spirit in us is distinct in some ways but still OF the Spirit and effects our spirit.

Again these secrets of men are just that "secrets" and mysteries. How God works in us and the power of the Spirit working in us is a great mystery. How the anointing which is OF God teaches us all things is a mystery.

But this word anointing I already showed you that it means means - "the special edowment ("chrism") of the Holy Spirit, unction." This work of the Holy Spirit is in all believers and no person can know anything of God unless the Holy Spirit reveals it to them (as I have many times referred to in 1 Cor 2 KJV). But we can directly connect the "anointing" and "unction" which teaches us all things "to the Holy Spirit which teaches us all things as Paul said

"12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:"(1 Cor 2:12-14 KJV)

We also read in 1 John 2:27 that the anointing is "truth" and he connects the anointing with being IN HIM

"...and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.""

We know that Jesus Chris is the truth and that the truth makes us free, this truth is the Son in us and His work in us. Jesus connects the truth with Himself when he says.

"32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free....36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed."(John 8:32,36 KJV)

We do not disconnect the truth from the Son. Jesus said he is he is the way the truth and the life. Nor do we disconnect the truth from the anointing.Neither do we disconnect the anointing of the Spirit from the Spirit. It is the Holy Ghost who teaches us all things spiritual (1 Cor 2).

There is another mystery which may be connected to this in some way, but it is very profound and that is the fact that Jesus Christ is in every believer. Yet we do not say that there are many Jesus Christ all over the Earth. But clearly God dwells in every believer, Jesus Christ is in us except we be reprobates ( 2 Cor 13:5 KJV)

I understand this truth kind of like this. If you were to look at the dew drops on every blade of grass in the morning Sun, you would see a reflection of the Sun in each dew drop, yet there is one Sun in the sky. Or if you were to look at a broken piece of glass on the ground you would see your reflection in every piece of glass yet one glass. So I see that Jesus Christ can be seated in heaven and also n us.

When we discuss deep spiritual things the natural understandings can only go so far. This in case would be as the wonderful "Trinity" understanding of One God in essence and substance of being, yet God exist in three persons, yet one God.

We see all three hinted to in 1 John 2

"ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father."( 1 John 2:24 KJV)"

we read of the anointing which is of Him (the Spirit) abiding IN us and the continuing IN the Son and IN the father.

All this understanding is an inward spiritual reality to every believer. The words "abideth in you". Show the spiritual aspect. Jesus Christ said he is in us and we in him (1 John 15) and without Him we can do nothing. I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. When we are strengthened by God, through Jesus Christ, given life in Christ, anointed by the Spirit these expression do not make us God, rather we are given that life in God and of God as new creations.

You haven't addressed my objections. All you've done is harp on using your own analogy about heat and fire (ie your own opinion), and repeated your old unconvincing theory. There is nothing in 1 John 2, or any other verse you've presented, that says God speaks new extra-biblical revelations internally via thoughts or feelings.

Upvote 0