The Rule of faith and practice is not scripture "alone"

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,347.00
Faith
Christian
You really do not see the verses . Even when they are as clear as day.

"4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them....6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us."(2 Cor 4:4, 6,7 KJV)

How can it be as clear as day when there is not a single verse that says we have the light of Christ shining in us.

And this verse you quoted is no exception if you had bothered to read it. The treasure in earthen vessels is the "light of the glorious gospel", "the light of the knowledge" of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,347.00
Faith
Christian
You seem to try and take the "mystery" out of the "mystery" and act as if any person could understand this by proper Hermeneutics and interpretation of text etc, and by all the natural human wisdom and means available to them from books and other commentaries.

Your views certainly are a mystery. It's a mystery how anyone could come up with such interpretations.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The interpretations you come up with are not spiritual truths. You are simply distorting scripture as I have demonstrated.

2 Peter 3:15-16 our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
I would apply this section of scripture against your distortion of scripture.

In fact, Peter says

"15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood,"(2 Peter 3:15,`16 KJV)

The wisdom I speak of is the exact wisdom Paul spoke of and the way I understand is the exact way Paul wrote for us to understand. As Paul said

"7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom...10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: ...

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."

This is how I have been directing all men to understand scripture in my entire post.

But you on the other hand do not direct men to hear Gods voice and have the Spirit teach them in the spirit and speak to their heart and to have God shine His light in them and open their understanding. You stress more intellectual wisdom of men in reading other men's words and taking words from other m men and Hebrew and Greek meanings as your case as if you could simply understand spiritual truth by the meanings of words alone and not to hear God speak in you? Or teach in you. If God is in us he makes us perfect and shines in us and speaks His word in us and this is through Jesus Christ who dwells in us and by the Holy Spirit that is in us as well..

But Paul said,

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The way we "Understand" anything spiritual is by the Spirit of God teaching us in spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of that proves the light shines "in" people. Just blindly repeating your own opinion does not prove it. Show me from scripture where it says the light of Christ shines "in" people. I have already proved from scripture that the light shines "on" people not "in " them.

When I say the Light "lighteth" every man and when i say the light is in us. I refer to God who is light and when He is in us he shines His light to us, upon us, in us, with us. We are not God. If I say God dwells in me I am not saying i am God. But God in us speaks His word and shines His light and empowers us with His power. We are strengthened with might in the inner man by God. God works in us to will and to do and to make us perfect unto every good work.

We read of the

light of God

the truth OF God

the word OF God

the power OF God

the kingdom OF God

the Leading OF God

Manifestation OF God

Love OF God

The gift OF GOD

and more...

All these are from or "OF" God and His glory in us. This is from His grace that works in all believers and manifest Hos life and power and truth and love and word and light and many other aspects of the glory of God.

The words "God is light" is as clear as a sunny day to those who walk in that light. God who is light shines His glorious light in us and upon our spiritual man and we can see and move and be empowered in this light. We are called children of light, and we put on the armour of light we have the light of life. The light of the glorious good news of Christ shines in us. It is good news what Christ has done on the cross and in his burrial and resurrection, and also this good news of Christ in our hearts as we receive Jesus Christ in us..

We see by His light. In His light we see light. He sends forth His light to lead us.

This section is clear to the unbiased reader, but not to clear to the natural man.

"3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."(1 Johbn 1:3-7 KJV)

If God is light and he is in us then the light is in us, this is a certain truth.

And Peter also knew of this "marvelous light" that we are in and that is in us.

"9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;"(1 Peter 1:9 KJV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wrong. God's word enters the heart by us hearing or reading it. Not from Christ inside us speaking it.

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Romans 10 has already been shown clearly that Paul refers to Deuteronomy 30 using this verse and this shows that Christ Word speaks in their heart. This was way back before Jesus Christ was known in the flesh. This was even before they had the scriptures as the context of Deuteronomy 30 shows.

also we read of the "word of God" coming to the prophets. This was not coming to them in a book but in their hearts as we read

"The word of the Lord which came to Jeremiah the prophet against the Gentiles;"(Jeremiah 46:1 KJV)

When God's word came to the prophets and men who spoke that word. God, the divine preacher spoke directly through them. We see this in many examples of God the divine preacher preaching through men in the fist person.

Ezekiel 12:25
For I am the Lord: I will speak, and the word that I shall speak shall come to pass; it shall be no more prolonged: for in your days, O rebellious house, will I say the word, and will perform it, saith the Lord God."

Now if men walked by the prophet and the prophet said "I am the Lord". Would some look at the prophet and say, "what? who do you think you are? your not God?". But Gods word came to them and they spoke first Person from God and through His power and work.

In truth how shall they preach except they be sent. Refers again to God's word coming to them and God the divine preacher, preaching to all in them and through them. It was God who spoke, not men. They were moved by God, not speaking of any private interpretation, or things they just made up and put together.

so again you are in error...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wrong. God's word enters the heart by us hearing or reading it. Not from Christ inside us speaking it.
and so in your confusing doctrine, God cannot give His word to any who cannot "read" or "hear" a preacher physically?

How does God reach the deaf, dumb and blind and retarded? and those who are physicaly unable to understand or leave their bed in a room?

How did God reach Abraham, Noah, Enoch, Abel, etc without the scriptures or men preaching to them? And when the word of the Lord came to the prophets where did it come from? Was not the Spirit of Christ IN them as Peter said?

You confound yourself with your doctrine. It will soon find you out and I hope when you see your error humility and acceptance of the truth will be embraced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That word of God that abides in our hearts is sufficient to make us wise unto salvation, to make us perfect, and to thoroughly equip us for every good work (2 Tim 3:15-17). We do not need extra-biblical revelations, nor are any given.

The men who wrote scripture from the OT had Gods word come to them. They did not copy the text and then write them down. They were moved by the Holy Ghost. Again, it began in the spiritual life and revelation of God.

I already in my first few post showed the three aspects of being made perfect.

I briefly repeat them again

THE PERFECTING OF THE SAINTS

In scripture we SEE different ways that God makes believers perfect.

1. God works in them to make them perfect

“Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”Hebrews 13:20, 21 JV)

This is the first primary rule of faith and practice to have God in us and working in us and this is where we have the anointing that teaches us all things (1 John 2:27) and Jesus Christ in us ( 2 Cor 13:5 KJV). Without this rule of God in us we cannot know anything.

15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you...”(Colossians 3:15, 16 KJV)

The word “rule” here means "to govern" And who cannot say this is the primary rule in our heart in the spirit.?

2. The body of Christ and ministry for the perfecting of the saints.

I showed above, it is God working by the first rule in all believers, then by this rule the body can function and work and Christ effectually worketh in all

“11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: ...15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.”(Ephesians 4:11-16)

Notice, that Christ works effectually in every part of the body. This is the first rule of God working in individuals and then the body

God works by his spirit in the body of Christ also and this is how he edifies the body and
perfects the saints

3. The scriptures are able to make us perfect unto every good work
THROUGH FAITH which is in Christ Jesus.

“16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”( 2 Timothy 3:16 KJV)

So in these three ways we see the MORE complete UNDERSTANDING OF THE RULE.

- The primary rule of God is by His Spirit working in us to make us perfect.
- The work of God in the body of believers and the gifts in ministry to each other to perfect the saints
- The Holy scriptures which are able to make us perfect through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All these work together to make us perfect.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This verse is not proof that the light of Christ is inside us. The light in this passage is the gospel, not Christ himself. Did you not read, "light of the glorious gospel"? This is confirmed in the next verse which you unscrupulously clipped out, v5 "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.". The light in our hearts is the preached gospel planted in our hearts. It is the "light of the knowledge" of Christ (v6). God's word is our treasure in earthen vessels.
No you are wrong again,

'...but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God."

This "manifestation of truth". Is inward in the heart and minds of men. The truth is the same truth some hold in unrighteousness. As Paul said “that which may be known of God is manifest in them”.

It is the word of truth and Christ who sines in them. When we commend ourselves to them, this is done in the sight of God. We witness to that of God shining in them and the word we speak bears witness with them and we appeal also to their "conscience". The conscience means "with knowledge". They have that knowledge inwardly as God has already shown it unto them, for that which may be known of God is "Manifest" in them. But we commend or "introduce and exhibit" by the manifestation , or revealing of truth in their conscience. This is a deep inward witness that is in the sight of God in their hearts and minds.

One time I was witnessing to a man and he was in another religion and not saved yet. But as I spoke the word of truth to him he said' that's true". He was affected by the truth. What was happening to him? Did he just decide truth was truth? or did he figure it out himself? No God was witnessing and revealing it inwardly to his heart and mind and His conscience also bore witness. I believe God was working in His heart and the word I spoke bore witness to what God was already showing him. It came through my words as a witness to the manifestation of truth that God was giving him. This is all done in the "sight of God". Paul is very deep in this section.

Paul touched on this inner witness already in Romans 2:14,15 when he spoke of the work of the law written in all gentiles hearts and their conscience also bearing witness.

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

But to some they harden their hearts and their minds are blinded. Their conscience is defiled and they turn from the truth and the light that shines inwardly from God. They hate the light and run from it.

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Notice where they were blinded, it was in their minds. We also read about the light shining in the heart further connected to this section. If they had believed they would have a renewed mind and have the mind of Christ. Again this is all inward and an inward witness and reality.

Here we see that the "glorious" good news of Christ who is the image of God, should shine unto them. The gospel of Christ or the good news of Christ is their salvation. Here we see the power of the gospel, the inward work as well as the outward work of Jesus Christ. Paul connects the good news of Christ with the image of God. This image of God connects with believers and the new birth as well. Adam and Eve lost that image of God and when we are born again we are created in righteousness and true holiness after the image of Him that created us

Colossians 3:10
And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:"

Romans 8:29
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

"5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake."

When Paul uses the words "Christ Jesus" and not "Jesus Christ" I believe he is referring to the work of Christ inwardly and extending back to the beginning in the mystery, though by using the word Jesus often he is connecting it to the work of Jesus on earth as well.

We read of Christ dwelling in the heart by faith. And Christ in you the hope of glory. This Christ in you is the mystery that was hid in the OT , and hidden but still there in mystery. Sadly, as we see in your words this mystery is still hidden to many.

"6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

first notice that it is God who sines in our hearts God is light and God dwells in us. So whatever light comes from him is of him and affects our spiritual man.

"For God,...hath shined in our hearts,"

Notice first that God "gives" the light of the knowledge to men. God gives himself to believers and dwells in their hearts. God is light and the light that shines from His glory in us, this is a reality in all. This light gives us knowledge of Jesus Christ as well and we can know the truth of his incarnation and the truth of his being in us.

Paul now continues his talk in regards to the light. He uses an example of the creation story when the Earth was without form and void and then God said "Let there be light" as a similar example of How God shines in our heart to give that light in Christ and the knowledge and glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

When the Earth was without form and void, this is like men's hearts before conversion, dead and dark and no life. But the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. God is close to all moving and nigh unto them. When God says let there be light a new world is created and life springs forth eventually. This is similar to when believers are born again and the inward life and change takes place. They become children of light and have the light of life, enlightened with the light of the living.

Here we see that Paul speaks clearly of where that light shines. It shines in the heart. This light is of the knowledge of the glory of God. Gods glory is seen and His righteousness as well in the face of Jesus Christ the righteousness of God was witnessed by the law and the prophets but now is made known through Jesus Christ. This inward reality to believers where Christ dwells in their hearts comes through the work for Jesus Christ in the history and work on the Earth physically. But Paul also tells the same Corinthians that Jesus Christ is in them except they be reprobate. And he says to the same Corinthians that Christ speaks in him and he was mighty IN them also (2 Cor 13:3,5 KJV).

I am not denying that Paul preached the gospel about Jesus Christ physically dying and being burried and rising again. He did. But the reality of this gospel, the hope of that gospel, is Christ in you the hope of Glory. That glory is only known inwardly to those who have faith. For then Christ dwells in their heart and shines his light. The gospel is seen as a light in the heart it is the gospel or good news of Christ in you the hope of glory.

The words Paul uses here when he says "to give the light of the knowledge" is referring to the enlightenment that believers have from God. They now can "know" God and His Son Jesus Christ. To know Him and Jesus Christ is "eternal life". This glory of God is what all men fall short of. But in Christ we are have the glory that shall be revealed IN us

Romans 8:18
"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

Colossians 1:27
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:"

Ephesians 1:18
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This verse is not proof that the light of Christ is inside us. The light in this passage is the gospel, not Christ himself. Did you not read, "light of the glorious gospel"? This is confirmed in the next verse which you unscrupulously clipped out, v5 "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.". The light in our hearts is the preached gospel planted in our hearts. It is the "light of the knowledge" of Christ (v6). God's word is our treasure in earthen vessels.
"7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us."

This treasure is IN earthen vessels. This treasure is in our hearts as the context shows. We know that Jesus Christ is in our hearts through faith and that God dwells in us and shines His light. This treasure in earthen vessels shows where the power comes from. It is of God, not us. So the treasure is where we have power and salvation, "OF GOD". The gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation. the light of Christ and the good news of Christ in them. While they have the light they are to believe in the light as Jesus said.

This "treasure" is how God calls all men and draws them. None seek God of their own. But as God shines His light to men's hearts and minds, He is the initiator. This answers the struggle many have about does God make men come to him or do they of their own power and ability come to him. Or where is the first action. It is God who first shines and draws he is the initiator. But he has given this "treasure", this "free gift", to all men. This is seen in many passages I have shown. The treasure was purchased for all men through the work of Jesus Christ in time when he came to the earth. But God was able to give the treasure in earthen vessels as a witness as a seed sown, as the word sown, and as light sown and truth sown because of what Jesus Christ would do in time. So the "excellency of the power" is of God and not of us.

How did any man come to faith since Adam until today if God did not first draw convict call, reveal, shine?

Is it enough for a man to say that he believes what Jesus Christ did outside of him on the cross and resurrection and not have Jesus Christ dwell inside him at the new birth? If a man says he believes and yet is not born again is he saved? Is not the inward life and new birth the only way a man can "see" the kingdom of God. Is not the kingdom of God "within" men.

The gospel that has taken place in time on the earth is shown in 1 Cor 15:1-5. That Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures and that he was burried and rose again according to the scriptures.

But this work without us does not affect us unless we are born again and have an inward reality. This is where the light of the glorious gospel of Christ who is the image of God sines unto us

What Jesus Christ did on the cross without us was His work for us . But Paul identifies us with the gospel that happened outwardly by connecting us to the inward reality directly with Christ as he dwells in our heart. From this inward new creation in Christ we are able to live in the mystery of Christ and in him we can do all things

crucified WITH Christ

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ..."

Romans 6:6
"Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him

Burried with Christ

Romans 6:4
"Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death:..."

Colossians 2:12
"Buried with him in baptism,..."

Risen WITH Christ

Colossians 2:12
"...wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead."

Colossians 3:1
"If ye then be risen with Christ..."

This identification and connection to the death burrial and resurrection of Christ is the power of that gospel in our hearts

We read these things in scripture as well. This is also how we live the gospel and obey the gospel daily.

"10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. 11 For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh."(2 Cor 4:10,11 KJV)

Notice how the life of Jesus is made "manifest" when we die and live in the newness of life. Our old man dies daily and the new man lives daily. This is how we obey the gospel and walk in the gospel daily. This is the power of the gospel and God's inner work in us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Walking in the light, is not the same as having the light in us. To walk in the light, like walking in sunlight, it to have that light shine ON us.
Walking in the light is to walk in Gods light that shines in us and upon us and to us. But God is light and he dwells in us and so when he shines His light, is it in our hearts. When he speaks His word it is in our hearts. He that is of God heareth God's words. When he works in us through Jesus Christ this is in our hearts.

There are two men, the old man and the new man. We put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness after the image of Him that created us.

When I speak of the light in men or the treasure in earthen vessels. I am talking about the light in our spirit not in the flesh. Our inner man is where God dwells with. The words in us is not referring to the flesh but our inner spiritual man

Ephesians 3:16
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;"

2 Corinthians 4:16
"For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day."

Colossians 3:9
Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You still haven't show us how "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly" (Col 3:16) means waiting in silence until we feel God speaking in us as you originally asserted.
Lets look at Colossians 3:15 and 16 again

"15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful."

Here we see that believers are to "let" the "peace of God" rule ( or govern) in their hearts. This inward ruling and governing is where the rule of faith and practice begins. Here again is the primary rule. If men come together as "one body" in assemblies and they do not have Gods peace ruling in their hearts they are then in a restless spirit or the flesh and sin. Even when they eat the Lords supper they must examine themselves and search their hearts and confess any sin. How can any come to a true order where God is leading and giving gifts and revelation and speaking immediately through prophets and leading teachers and other gifts if they are not at peace with God in their hearts. If they have a clean conscience and a conscience void of offense they can then function in Gods order, or rule and governing in their hearts.

They are to "let" the peace of God rule. This implies seeking the Lord not their own way. To live and move in the power and character and authority of Jesus Christ.

We read another verse about the peace of God that seems to keep coming up in Hebrews 13;20,21

"20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."(Hebrews 13:20,21 KJV)

Notice that the God of peace" makes them perfect in every good work. These good works would be all the work of faith they do, and all the ministry, teaching and admonishing, and in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs and in prophesying and exhorting etc. This is the only way they can do so. if they are in the peace of God and let the peace of God rule in their heart.

Romans 15:33
Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

The opposite of letting the peace of God rule in their hearts is to be in anxiety and worry and fear before God. This could be because of sin or double mindedness, carnality or lack of love etc.

Peace implies silence in his words and believers coming before God in silence and waiting on the Lord for all good things. The busy stress of a carnal mind , is not in the peace of God, nor is the anxiety of a man in sin and a evil heart. If any are in sin or anxiety and worry how can they let the peace of God “rule” or govern and direct them inwardly? How can they know God or have their faith work by love where God dwells in them to lead, if they are not listening and resting in Christ in their hearts.

Psalm 46:10

"Be still, and know that I am God:"

they also are to examine themselves in silence in the meetings as we read

1 Corinthians 11:28
"But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup."

and this self examining can be as we gather in ministry and all things as well, for Paul said to the Corinthians

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

"16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."(Colossians 3:16)

Then, after they have examined themselves and come to let Gods peace rule in their heart to dispell the darkness and busy restlessness of their carnal minds can they hope to have any edification for themself or others in Christ . They also will need confession and self examination in this process at times. . Then, when they “let” the peace of God “rule” in thier hearts, they are to be called together in one body. This refers to the assembly of the saints and the way all are to walk in God's order here. Then they can "let the word of Christ dwell in them richly" and from Christ Jesus working in them all effectually they can teach and admonish eachother and in psalms and hymns and spiritual song. This is all as Christ the head works in them all. Paul touched on their completeness in Christ as the head in the previous chapter where he says they are complete in him which is the head and he warns them of being drawn away by men and vanity and traditions of men and rudiments of the world. He warns them to "beware" of anything that is not after Christ. He also speaks of the entire body edifying eachother as he did in Ephesiasn 4;15,16. There we see clearly that Jesus Christ works in all to effectual make increase of the body to the edifying of itself in love.

This inward work in the body is not as men rush ahead in their own ways but as they are led BY God and in His peace where the word of Christ dwells in them. Where Jesus Christ is in believers he speaks His word as well. Yes the word can be heard in our spirit and as we also hear from scripture. But the inward work is of God working in us. Paul said they put on the new man where Christ is all and in all.

Paul said similar words to the Ephesians in Acts 20 when he commended them to God and to the word of His grace that is able to build them up. Paul says in Colossians 3:16 that the word of Christ is connected to the grace in the heart. Gods grace works in us as well. Paul uses the words "with grace" connected to God ruling in the heart and the Wird of Christ dwelling in them.

Colossians 3:16. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.”

We know that all true worship is also BY Jesus Christ in us and not of ourself, we read this here

Hebrews 13:15
By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Hebrews 2:11,12
"11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.”

John 4 - 23. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.”

"17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."

Then Paul says this in verse 17, to do all in the "name of Jesus Christ", all includes what we do in word and in deed.

This expression "in the name of Jesus Christ" does not mean to literally say the words "in the name of Jesus Christ" after every word and action. But it means to do all in the character, authority , power, life and leading of Jesus Christ who works in all believers. Jesus said without him they can do nothing.

So clearly Paul is not leading them to speak, or act or minister as the carnal fleshly wisdom of men or excellency of speech with their craftiness and human skills or their man made programs and forms without power. No he warns them of men who would beguile them and deceive them,he said

"4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. 5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:"(Colossians 2:4-9 KJV)

Paul says we are to pray without ceasing. This constant state of communion with God and being led of the Spirit is a daily walk. We are to bring every thought to the captivity of Christ, every thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your views certainly are a mystery. It's a mystery how anyone could come up with such interpretations.
Yes, you do not see the mystery, it sad really after you do so much study, but miss these things. I will pray about this for you.

1 Corinthians 2:6,7 KJV
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:.But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:"

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can it be as clear as day when there is not a single verse that says we have the light of Christ shining in us.

And this verse you quoted is no exception if you had bothered to read it. The treasure in earthen vessels is the "light of the glorious gospel", "the light of the knowledge" of Jesus Christ.

"God, ...hath shined in our hearts,"

as clear as day to those who walk in His marvelous light

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your disdain and rejection of teachers and preachers is wholly unscriptural. God has given the church teachers to help us understand his word.
I never disdain true teachers who are given as gifts to the church. But teachers also must learn all things by the anointing which teacheth them all things and works in them. They , like all believers must have God working in them to make them perfect working in them that which is well pleasing in His sight through Jesus Christ.

What I warn against is mans order and forms and the very things Jesus Paul, John Peter and others warn about.

"4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words....8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ"(Colossians 2:4,8 KJV)

Matthew 6:5
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

"26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."(1 Jophn 2:26,27 KJV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit is never described as light
1 John 1:5. “...God is light,”

Acts 2:3. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wisdom is not the light of Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:24,30,31 KJV "But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God...30. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31. That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God shines in us giving this light in Christ

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,983.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Read it again. It says the spirit of man is the candle that searches. Not the Lord is the candle.

No you miss it here again...

We read about the candle and the one who lights the candle. The candle is our spirit or inner man. The Lord lights that candle or He gives us the light of Him the light of life and we are then the children of light. The expression the Lord searches our inward parts refers to God working and leading and guiding and discerning all our inward parts as we listen in spirit. We are also told to guard our heart for out of it are the issues of life. It is by the Light of God enlightening us that we can examine ourselves and know our way if we are in God or not. We come to the light o have our deeds made manifest by the light if they are wrought (laboured, toiled, worked) in God or not as we read in John 3:21 KJV.

"21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."(John 3:21 KJV)

But the Lord who is Light shines in our hearts and gives us light. This light is from God and of God and in God.

Proverbs 20:27 KJV

The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly."

We see that the candle is lighted by God in other verses such as these and that it is God working in us that gives us strength in the inward part and "maketh" our way perfect ( Hebrews 13;20,21, John 15:56 KJV)

Psalm 18:28, 32 KJV
For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness....32 It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect."

In Christ we are in God and God works through our spirit, we read

Job 29:3 KJV
"When his candle shined upon my head, and when by his light I walked through darkness;"

Jesus spoke of this candle and light and the light that is IN us as well, He is speaking spiritual truth here using the examples of candles and other means. Those who have ears to hear let them hear.The candle is our spirit lighted by God, the candle stick may refer to our bodies and our outward witness in the earth. By the body full of light, this may refer to our inner man our heavenly body filled with Gods light.

"33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light. 34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. 35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. 36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light."(Luke 11:33-36 KJV)

The light we have inwardly is from God and in a specific verse Jesus says it is from the Father, we read,

Matthew 5:14-16 KJV

"14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Last edited:
Upvote 0