Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are so many things to think and pray about after a tragedy like this. The topic I'm bringing up here I do not view as the first or necessarily even most important issue related to this shooting. Certainly things like praying for the families of victims and healing of the injured and emotional healing for all who were there is more important.

But this issue is also important. It has been reported in the news that the shooter claimed to hear voices in his head and some have identified these voices as being demonic.

This raises some discussion topics.

What do you think about this?
How might demons gain such influence in a person's life?
Can Christians be oppressed and influenced by demons?
What can we do about it?

• Useful
Reactions: waves

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CF used to have a Deliverance sub-forum, but it was shut down due to the controversial nature of questions just like the ones that you are posing. Your best bet is to find a local church that deals in deliverance. Vineyard & Assemblies of God are good choices.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What can we do about it?

Thjoose who are not Christian are totally open to possession and oppression by evil spirits.

Christians by virutue of the indewelling Holy Spirit cannot be possessed but they can open themselves up to oppression and be oppressed by evil spirits.

What can we do?

Preach the gospel and live as Christians and stay as close as we can to Jesus.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thjoose who are not Christian are totally open to possession and oppression by evil spirits.
That's not entirely true i.m.h.o.
Normally, access has to be provided by the person before demons can choose to meddle with them.
But, people can be influenced to grant that access too.
Demons will enter when they deem it useful.
Being opened up does not automatically mean you will be possessed or oppressed.
There are however ways with high 'success' rates, like certain drugs and gruesome mind control stuff...

Yeah folks, this planet is one sick puppy...

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There are so many things to think and pray about after a tragedy like this. The topic I'm bringing up here I do not view as the first or necessarily even most important issue related to this shooting. Certainly things like praying for the families of victims and healing of the injured and emotional healing for all who were there is more important.

But this issue is also important. It has been reported in the news that the shooter claimed to hear voices in his head and some have identified these voices as being demonic.

What can we do about it?

As a Catholic, I believe the more a person is sinful, the more influence he/she is under influence of demons. Catholics have concepts of "state of grace" and "state of mortal sins" (which Protestants don't believe). Under the "state of mortal sins", not only is a person under strong influence of demons, he/she could also be subjected to demonic possession.

Catholics believe to combat the influence of demons, one needs to:
  • go to confession to get one's sins forgiven
  • receive the Holy Eucharist and
  • pray a lot (especially the Rosary).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

What can we do about it?
You can't put the whole blame on demonic influence, people need to be seriously aware that they also bear responsibility for their actions. The easy answer of "the devil made me do it" isn't going to fly because there is far more to the story that involves what is going on. You might want to start with being familiar with what needs to go on in their mind before they ever get to the point of murdering.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What can we do about it?

1) Yes, I think it's likely there were some suggestions made. He's still responsible though.
2) Typically, resentment and unrepentance makes a great doorway. Holding to these things, Cain slew Able, the first murder.
3) Yes, if they allow it
4) Pray and cast off things like lust and resentment. These are open doors through which influence to greater sin can be exerted. Likewise drug-induced altered states are dangerous and open the doors to further influence. Sin leads to death and destruction period. It's not a game. Humility and repentance are what is required. We can do these things for ourselves, for others we can only pray and lead by example.

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians by virutue of the indewelling Holy Spirit cannot be possessed but they can open themselves up to oppression and be oppressed by evil spirits.

I agree. I shared some thoughts about how this happens in another thread:

The Devil's Place in a Christian's Life, an Analysis of Ephesians 4:26-27

Can%2Ba%2BChristian%2Bbe%2Bdemon%2Bpossessed.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Florida school shooting timeline
The shooter tells police demons made him do it.

If the third floor windows he had opened, many more might have been killed.

I suspect we all agree that even if there was demonic influence, that does not absolve the shooter of guilt.

God works to bring good out of evil. One tiny way (among many) in which God could use this tragic evil event for some good is if it prompts some people to seek greater freedom for themselves and others from demonic influence and if it prompts some Christians to study the Bible again to see what it teaches on this topic.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
I suspect we all agree that even if there was demonic influence, that does not absolve the shooter of guilt.

God works to bring good out of evil. One tiny way (among many) in which God could use this tragic evil event for some good is if it prompts some people to seek greater freedom for themselves and others from demonic influence and if it prompts some Christians to study the Bible again to see what it teaches on this topic.
I think it demonstrates to young people they are not immortal and can pass into eternity surprisingly at any time, which God can use to teach them about eternal life, that this life we live in the flesh is temporary and not our eternal home, which is either going to be heaven with God and Christ or hell with the devil, fallen angels and murderers..

1 John 3:15
Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Reactions: Anwen
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That would depend on how the demons got there.
He was possibly being messed with by others in that regard.

Upvote 0