Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith plays a significant role in salvation, however, I believe that role is misunderstood by the vast majority of believers. That misunderstanding has lead to countless debates and arguments which can never be resolved because of both sides are wrong. For example, Calvinism and Arminianism, covenant theology and dispensationalism, Jews vs Gentiles, faith vs works, etc etc etc. All of these can be resolved by looking at faith in the proper way.

abraham.jpg

The role of faith is qualifying us for the Abrahamic covenant of righteousness by faith. Most Christians mistakenly believe that faith directly qualifies us for righteousness. However, this is incorrect. Faith directly qualifies us a descendants of Abraham, and it is descendants of Abraham (those with the same faith in the gospel which Abraham had) who inherit Christ's righteousness through Abraham's covenant.

Gal 3:6-9, 16 NASB95 - 6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer. ... 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as [referring] to many, but [rather] to one, "AND TO YOUR SEED," that is, Christ.​

Gen 15:5-6 NASB95 - 5 And He took him outside and said, "Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them." And He said to him, "So shall your seed be." 6 Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.​

Rom 4:9-13, 16-17 NASB95 - 9 Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, "FAITH WAS CREDITED TO ABRAHAM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised. 13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. ... 16 For this reason [it is] by faith, in order that [it may be] in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written, "A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU") in the presence of Him whom he believed, [even] God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.​

Gen 17:4-7 NASB95 - 4 "As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, And you will be the father of a multitude of nations. 5 "No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6 "I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you. 7 "I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your seed after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your seed after you.​

When we have the same faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ that Abraham had, we are adopted as his descendants and become heirs of God's promise to him that he and his descendants would be made righteous.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith plays a significant role in salvation, however, I believe that role is misunderstood by the vast majority of believers. That misunderstanding has lead to countless debates and arguments which can never be resolved because of both sides are wrong. For example, Calvinism and Arminianism, covenant theology and dispensationalism, Jews vs Gentiles, faith vs works, etc etc etc. All of these can be resolved by looking at faith in the proper way.

View attachment 329708
The role of faith is qualifying us for the Abrahamic covenant of righteousness by faith. Most Christians mistakenly believe that faith directly qualifies us for righteousness. However, this is incorrect. Faith directly qualifies us a descendants of Abraham, and it is descendants of Abraham (those with the same faith in the gospel which Abraham had) who inherit Christ's righteousness through Abraham's covenant.

Gal 3:6-9, 16 NASB95 - 6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer. ... 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as [referring] to many, but [rather] to one, "AND TO YOUR SEED," that is, Christ.​

Gen 15:5-6 NASB95 - 5 And He took him outside and said, "Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them." And He said to him, "So shall your seed be." 6 Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.​

Rom 4:9-13, 16-17 NASB95 - 9 Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, "FAITH WAS CREDITED TO ABRAHAM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised. 13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. ... 16 For this reason [it is] by faith, in order that [it may be] in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written, "A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU") in the presence of Him whom he believed, [even] God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.​

Gen 17:4-7 NASB95 - 4 "As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, And you will be the father of a multitude of nations. 5 "No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6 "I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you. 7 "I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your seed after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your seed after you.​

When we have the same faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ that Abraham had, we are adopted as his descendants and become heirs of God's promise to him that he and his descendants would be made righteous.
And realized through His Holy Spirit.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is faith? Faith is accepting what God says about Himself ( and us) and going God's way.

John 14:15-24 "If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. "A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him." Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, "Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?" Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me.

When we believe in Jesus we are essentially willing to follow Him. When you marry someone you might have an attraction for the person, but you are also willing to accept their nature and flaws.

When we accept Christ, it may be out of the attractiveness of eternal life, and a desire for some blessing, but a long-term relationship can only be built as we accept their nature, and walk with them.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

View attachment 329708

Those verses support that righteousness is by faith, which is synonymous with being children of Abraham because it is those who are of faith who are the children of Abraham (Galatians 3:7).

In Matthew 4:17-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, and God's law is how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so turning from our wickedness towards obeying God's law is central to the Gospel message, which is in accordance with Jesus being sent as the fulfillment of the promise to bless us by turning us from our wickedness (Acts 3:25-26), which is the Gospel that was made known in advance to Abraham in accordance with the promise (Galatians 3:8), which he spread to those in Haran in accordance with the promise (Genesis 12:1-5).

In Galatians 3:26-29, it equates those who are children of God through faith in Christ with those who are children of Abraham, heirs of the promise, and every aspect of that is connected with walking in God's way in obedience to His law. in 1 John 3:4-10, whoever practices righteousness is righteous as he is righteous while whoever does not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not children of God. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the law. In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked.

In Genesis 18:19, God knew Abraham that he would teaching his children and those of his household to walk in God's way by doing righteousness and justice that the Lord may bring to him all that He has promise. In Genesis 26:4-5, God will multiply Abraham children as the stars in the heaven, to his children he will give all of these lands, and through his children all of the nations of the earth will be blessed because he heart God's voice and guarded his charge, His commandments, His statutes, and HIs laws. In Deuteronomy 30:16, if the children of Abraham will love God with all of heart heart by walking in His way in obedience to His commandments, statutes, and laws, then they will live and multiply and God will bless then in the land that they go to possess. So the promise was made to Abraham and brought about because he walked in God's way in obedience to His law, he taught his children how to do that, and because his children did that. In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works that he did, so the way that the children of Abraham are multiplied by faith in the promise is by turning people from their wickedness and teaching them to the same works that he did, or in other words by spreading the Gospel that was made known in advance to him.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those verses support that righteousness is by faith, which is synonymous with being children of Abraham because it is those who are of faith who are the children of Abraham (Galatians 3:7).

In Matthew 4:17-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, and God's law is how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so turning from our wickedness towards obeying God's law is central to the Gospel message, which is in accordance with Jesus being sent as the fulfillment of the promise to bless us by turning us from our wickedness (Acts 3:25-26), which is the Gospel that was made known in advance to Abraham in accordance with the promise (Galatians 3:8), which he spread to those in Haran in accordance with the promise (Genesis 12:1-5).

In Galatians 3:26-29, it equates those who are children of God through faith in Christ with those who are children of Abraham, heirs of the promise, and every aspect of that is connected with walking in God's way in obedience to His law. in 1 John 3:4-10, whoever practices righteousness is righteous as he is righteous while whoever does not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not children of God. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the law. In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked.

In Genesis 18:19, God knew Abraham that he would teaching his children and those of his household to walk in God's way by doing righteousness and justice that the Lord may bring to him all that He has promise. In Genesis 26:4-5, God will multiply Abraham children as the stars in the heaven, to his children he will give all of these lands, and through his children all of the nations of the earth will be blessed because he heart God's voice and guarded his charge, His commandments, His statutes, and HIs laws. In Deuteronomy 30:16, if the children of Abraham will love God with all of heart heart by walking in His way in obedience to His commandments, statutes, and laws, then they will live and multiply and God will bless then in the land that they go to possess. So the promise was made to Abraham and brought about because he walked in God's way in obedience to His law, he taught his children how to do that, and because his children did that. In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works that he did, so the way that the children of Abraham are multiplied by faith in the promise is by turning people from their wickedness and teaching them to the same works that he did, or in other words by spreading the Gospel that was made known in advance to him.
Keep in mind the Law of Moses would not be given for 430 years AFTER Abraham’s covenant was ratified. God ratified Abraham’s covenant while he was uncircumcised by having Abraham cut 5 animals in half, & God passed through the blood while he slept. Abraham did not pass through the blood… so God promised to fulfill His end even if Abraham (and his descendants) did not.

So there was no no part of the 613 laws which were a part of Abraham’s covenant.

Galatians 3:11-18 (NASB95) 11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.” 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, “HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us--for it is written, “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE”-- 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. 15 Brethren, I speak in terms of human relations: even though it is only a man’s covenant, yet when it has been ratified, no one sets it aside or adds conditions to it. 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as referring to many, but rather to one, “And to your seed,” that is, Christ. 17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. 18 For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise.

So The Law of Moses doesn’t add conditions to Abraham’s covenant of righteousness by faith. Yes, God wants us to act rightly, but Abraham’s covenant is not conditional upon it.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Faith is in Jesus and that faith in Jesus is what gives a person God's free gift of Eternal Life. Faith in a gospel gives no one Eternal Life.
Faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ is what saves.

Romans 1:16 (NASB95)
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Abraham never heard the name “Jesus” but Abraham had faith in the gospel. Gospel means “good news” so “the gospel of Jesus Christ” literally means the good news about Jesus Christ.

Galatians 3:6-6 (NASB95) Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.
8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU.”

Romans 10:14-17 (NASB95) 14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!” 16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

Reactions: Dah'veed
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ is what saves.

Romans 1:16 (NASB95)
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Abraham never heard the name “Jesus” but Abraham had faith in the gospel. Gospel means “good news” so “the gospel of Jesus Christ” literally means the good news about Jesus Christ.

Galatians 3:6-6 (NASB95) Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.
8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU.”

Romans 10:14-17 (NASB95) 14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!” 16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

No it is not, the gospel if correctly taught, explained, should point a person to Jesus. So the person may believe in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No it is not, the gospel if correctly taught, explained, should point a person to Jesus. So the person may believe in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life.
That’s what the gospel is.

The sky turns greenish when a storm is coming which is capable of producing a tornado. If you were not able to see the sky for yourself, what would cause you to believe in the green sky?

Someone would have to tell you about the green sky or you would have to believe a report about it? In the case of Jesus, that report or good news is called “the gospel.” The gospel is anything you hear about the person or purpose of Christ.

15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!” 16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

You have to hear about Him before you can believe in Him. What you hear is called “the gospel.” If you believe “in Jesus Christ” because of what you’ve heard about Him, then you have believed the gospel.

This faith - being one on the same faith which Abraham had - qualifies you as Abraham’s descendant. Only Abraham’s descendants are “chosen” or obtain the righteousness of Christ promised to Abraham & his descendants.

Galatians 3:14, 29 - 14 (NASB95) in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.

Romans 8:15-17 (NASB95) 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

Galatians 4:5-9 (NASB95) 5 so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. 6 Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God. 8 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods. 9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again?

Matthew 7:23 (NASB95)
“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

Without adoption into Abraham’s line of descendants God will say He never knew us.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That’s what the gospel is.

The sky turns greenish when a storm is coming which is capable of producing a tornado. If you were not able to see the sky for yourself, what would cause you to believe in the green sky?

Someone would have to tell you about the green sky or you would have to believe a report about it? In the case of Jesus, that report or good news is called “the gospel.” The gospel is anything you hear about the person or purpose of Christ.

15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!” 16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

You have to hear about Him before you can believe in Him. What you hear is called “the gospel.” If you believe “in Jesus Christ” because of what you’ve heard about Him, then you have believed the gospel.

This faith - being one on the same faith which Abraham had - qualifies you as Abraham’s descendant. Only Abraham’s descendants are “chosen” or obtain the righteousness of Christ promised to Abraham & his descendants.

Galatians 3:14, 29 - 14 (NASB95) in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.

Romans 8:15-17 (NASB95) 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

Galatians 4:5-9 (NASB95) 5 so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. 6 Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God. 8 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods. 9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again?

Matthew 7:23 (NASB95)
“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

Without adoption into Abraham’s line of descendants God will say He never knew us.

Again you wrote Faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ is what saves.

Show me one verse that states a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life by faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It is always faith in Jesus that gives a person Eternal Life.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again you wrote Faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ is what saves.

Show me one verse that states a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life by faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It is always faith in Jesus that gives a person Eternal Life.
Gal 3:6-9 NASB95 - 6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.

Eph 1:13 NASB95 - 13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Phl 1:27 NASB95 - 27 Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

Col 1:23 NASB95 - 23 if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

Mar 1:15 NASB95 - 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

Act 15:7 NASB95 - 7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, "Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe.

Heb 4:2 NASB95 - 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Gal 3:6-9 NASB95 - 6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.

Eph 1:13 NASB95 - 13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Phl 1:27 NASB95 - 27 Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

Col 1:23 NASB95 - 23 if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

Mar 1:15 NASB95 - 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

Act 15:7 NASB95 - 7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, "Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe.

Heb 4:2 NASB95 - 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard.

Let show you an example of a verse that states what i am saying, since you have not posted one. Not a single mention in these verses, about believing in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believe in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let show you an example of a verse that states what i am saying, since you have not posted one. Not a single mention in these verses, about believing in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believe in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
Each of those is an example of "the gospel."

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness" - Gospel
"God so loved the world" - Gospel
"He who believes in the son" - Gospel
"He who hears my word and believes" - Gospel

The example of "the gospel" that Paul uses in Galatians 6 is the sentence: "All the families of the earth will be blessed in you."

Gal 3:8 NASB95 - 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU."​

The gospel is not some mystical magic... literally anything you hear about Jesus Christ and his purpose as savior is "the gospel."

Upvote 0

Rapture Bound

Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2021
Massachusetts
✟187,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keep in mind the Law of Moses would not be given for 430 years AFTER Abraham’s covenant was ratified. God ratified Abraham’s covenant while he was uncircumcised by having Abraham cut 5 animals in half, & God passed through the blood while he slept. Abraham did not pass through the blood… so God promised to fulfill His end even if Abraham (and his descendants) did not.

So there was no no part of the 613 laws which were a part of Abraham’s covenant.

Galatians 3:11-18 (NASB95) 11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.” 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, “HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us--for it is written, “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE”-- 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. 15 Brethren, I speak in terms of human relations: even though it is only a man’s covenant, yet when it has been ratified, no one sets it aside or adds conditions to it. 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as referring to many, but rather to one, “And to your seed,” that is, Christ. 17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. 18 For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise.

So The Law of Moses doesn’t add conditions to Abraham’s covenant of righteousness by faith. Yes, God wants us to act rightly, but Abraham’s covenant is not conditional upon it.

You stated, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us--for it is written, “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE”-- 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith"..... and ...

"So there was no no part of the 613 laws which were a part of Abraham’s covenant."

Yes indeed! - Jesus Christ "REVERSED the curse" ... and for that reason I don't believe it's coincidental that the reverse of the number of laws ... 613 = 316 ... as in John 3:16 ,"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." --- Hallelujah!!

Reactions: Gup20
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Each of those is an example of "the gospel."

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness" - Gospel
"God so loved the world" - Gospel
"He who believes in the son" - Gospel
"He who hears my word and believes" - Gospel

The example of "the gospel" that Paul uses in Galatians 6 is the sentence: "All the families of the earth will be blessed in you."
Gal 3:8 NASB95 - 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU."​

The gospel is not some mystical magic... literally anything you hear about Jesus Christ and his purpose as savior is "the gospel."

The gospel in Galatians 3:8 is referencing Genesis 12:3, that does not give anyone Eternal Life.
What Abraham believed that gave Him and made him an example for all, is that he believed Genesis 15:6

Genesis 12:3 is good news for Abraham but this good news does not give people Eternal Life.
I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

Genesis 15:6 shows that Abraham had faith in the Seed to come, that is how he, Abraham receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.
And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,” who is Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gospel in Galatians 3:8 is referencing Genesis 12:3, that does not give anyone Eternal Life.
What Abraham believed that gave Him and made him an example for all, is that he believed Genesis 15:6

Genesis 12:3 is good news for Abraham but this good news does not give people Eternal Life.
I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

Genesis 15:6 shows that Abraham had faith in the Seed to come, that is how he, Abraham receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.
And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,” who is Christ.
Correct. I agree. The specific phrase Abraham believed about Jesus, the seed, was:

Genesis 15:5-6 (NASB95) 5 And He took him outside and said, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your seed be.” 6 Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.

God told Abraham about Christ (the gospel) and when Abraham believed what God told him about Christ (the gospel), God credited him with righteousness (eternal life). That credit was a promise to Abraham AND TO HIS SEED.

In this case the “count of the stars - so would be the seed of Abraham” was the gospel. As I said anything about Christ & His purpose is “the gospel.”

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in Him will have eternal life. This is the gospel.

All the nations will be blessed in you - this is the gospel because it’s talking About Christ & His purpose.

Genesis 3:15-15 (NASB95) And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise you on the head, And you shall bruise him on the heel.”

This is the gospel because it’s talking about Christ & His purpose.

Anything about Christ & His purpose which might cause one to believe in Christ & His purpose is the gospel.

You think we are disagreeing, but we are not.

John 8:56-58 (NASB95) 56 “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

View attachment 329708
The role of faith is qualifying us for the Abrahamic covenant of righteousness by faith.
The Abrahamic covenant of Ge 15:9-21 was a covenant to fulfill the land grant (not a covenant of righteousness by faith) made with the already righteous (v.6) Abraham, and with his descendants (v.16) .

Your premise being in error, your whole thesis is in error.
Most Christians mistakenly believe that faith directly qualifies us for righteousness. However, this is incorrect. Faith directly qualifies us a descendants of Abraham, and it is descendants of Abraham (those with the same faith in the gospel which Abraham had) who inherit Christ's righteousness through Abraham's covenant.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Abrahamic covenant of Ge 15:9-21 was a covenant to fulfill the land grant (not a covenant of righteousness by faith) made with the already righteous (v.6) Abraham, and with his descendants (v.16) .

Your premise being in error, your whole thesis is in error.
Incorrect. There were multiple components to Abraham's promise.

1. The Land
  2. Righteousness by faith
  3. Biological offspring
  4. adopted offspring (from many nations)
  5. Life from the dead (Sarah's dead womb)
  6. All the nations would be blessed in you
  7. A great nation would come from him
  8. Many nations would come from him
Gal 3:16 NASB95 - 16 Now the promises (plural) were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as [referring] to many, but [rather] to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ.​

Rom 4:13 NASB95 - 13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith.​
Gal 3:14 NASB95 - 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.​

God reckoned (credited, promised) righteousness to Abraham and to his seed. For example, of you look at Ezekiel's description of circumcision of the heart, we see it fulfills the Abrahamic covenant:

Eze 36:24-28 NASB95 - 24 "For I will take you from the nations, gather you from all the lands and bring you into your own land. 25 "Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26 "Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 "I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. 28 "You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people, and I will be your God.​

This is exactly what Paul says in Galatians 3:14 - the promise of righteousness and the the Spirit through faith.

God preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to Abraham, and when he believed the gospel of Jesus Christ, God credited him with righteousness. When we have the same faith in the gospel which Abraham had, we qualify as the descendants of the covenant and heirs of the righteousness of faith promised to Abraham and his seed.

Isa 54:1 NASB95 - 1 "Shout for joy, O barren one, you who have borne no [child;] Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not travailed; For the sons of the desolate one [will be] more numerous Than the sons of the married woman," says the LORD.​

The adopted descendants of the Abrahamic covenant far outnumber the physical descendants.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Correct. I agree. The specific phrase Abraham believed about Jesus, the seed, was:

Genesis 15:5-6 (NASB95) 5 And He took him outside and said, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your seed be.” 6 Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.

God told Abraham about Christ (the gospel) and when Abraham believed what God told him about Christ (the gospel), God credited him with righteousness (eternal life). That credit was a promise to Abraham AND TO HIS SEED.

In this case the “count of the stars - so would be the seed of Abraham” was the gospel. As I said anything about Christ & His purpose is “the gospel.”

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in Him will have eternal life. This is the gospel.

All the nations will be blessed in you - this is the gospel because it’s talking About Christ & His purpose.

Genesis 3:15-15 (NASB95) And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise you on the head, And you shall bruise him on the heel.”

This is the gospel because it’s talking about Christ & His purpose.

Anything about Christ & His purpose which might cause one to believe in Christ & His purpose is the gospel.

You think we are disagreeing, but we are not.

John 8:56-58 (NASB95) 56 “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”

So is Jesus an actual physical person or a gospel.

It is Jesus the physical Person one has faith in, to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.
Even though Jesus is not now physically present on earth, it is still this physical Person that is the
object of faith.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So is Jesus an actual physical person or a gospel.

It is Jesus the physical Person one has faith in, to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.
Even though Jesus is not now physically present on earth, it is still this physical Person that is the
object of faith.
How do you know about Jesus or that you needed to have faith in Jesus? Did this thought or desire to believe in Him magically appear in your mind?

You heard the gospel (an idea) which enabled you to to believe in Jesus (an actual physical person).

Rom 10:13-17 NASB95 - 13 for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED." 14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!" 16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, "LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?" 17 So faith [comes] from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.​

There is no believing in Jesus without first hearing the gospel about Him. How can one believe in something they never heard of?

Upvote 0