✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Redneck said:
Do you mean the steel that they made the hull out of was of inferior quality?
There was also a problem of the rivets that held the hullplating together. The rivets were not flush with the hullplating and were supposed to have been welded so. The rivets stuck out farther than the hull plating so that when the iceberg sheared along the hull, it ripped out the rivets and consequently pieces of the hull. It isnt clear why these rivets were not welded smooth.

The Titanic HAD water-tight compartments, but they did not extend higher than C-deck and as a consequence, one hold would fill, spill into the next hold and so on and so forth. The water would rise to the top of the bulkheads and spill over into the next. She could float with four compartments filled, but any more and she would begin to sink. The builders were so confident that the Titanic would never sink that they did not consider what happend.

Also, the lifeboats on deck were not configured in a way that was condusive to thier use, many were stacked inside eachother and it made it very dificult for them to be maneuvered and deployed. Many of the boats were launched half full or almost empty. Some of the officers stated that they feared the boats would buckle if too many people were loaded into one boat.

Annother factor was that people on board believed the White Star Line when they claimed that the Titanic could never sink so they disregarded the crew's warnings and calls to board the lifeboats, many did so untill it was too late. Many passengers werent even aware that there was a problem untill mid-way through the crisis.

The Titanic had massive engines for its day, but when the call came down that there was an iceberg ahead, the order was given to reverse all engines and to turn the wheel hard. This resulted in a "Skidding" action where the inertia of the massive ship prevented the ship from stopping even with engines reversed.

Some people say that had the Titanic simply rammed the iceberg, the ship may have been simply crippled rather than flooded, since the Titanic was designed to float with four compartmets flooded. But this is generally considered to be not the case, since what shows of an iceberg is generally only a fraction of the actual size of the piece of ice itself. Had the Titanic rammed the iceberg, its very likely that the ice would have ripped the keel out of the ship and it would have sunken far quicker than it did. It almost certainly would have bent or destroyed the screws.

I remember a comedian once was talking about her trip to Ireland. "I went to Belfast in Ireland, did you know they consider the Titanic to be one of thier greatest achievements? Which actually makes sense because the ship WAS full of English people."

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like most major disasters, the sinking of the Titanic was the result of an incredible lot of things gone wrong all together. Every day, problems occur in transportation and are fixed without incident; it's when they group that people die.

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It was more than just metal not being made right.It had to do with not being temperred,to small of a rudder,no binoculars.Not enough water tight bulk heads,to cocky,
it might not of sank if the Titanic would of hit head on.See just a bunch of ifs',ors',or mights' that was involved in the sinking.

Upvote 0

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
It had to do with not being temperred
The steel itself was just fine, it was the way it was secured to the ship's superstructre that was the problem.

to small of a rudder
The rudder...again, was fine.

Not enough water tight bulk heads
Not enough? There were plenty, they just didnt go high enough in the ship for them to be effective.

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually there was several things wrong with the Titanics' rudder. Not by way of how it was made.It would of been fine on another ship.But like it said in the 1997 Titanic Movie.The ship was to big with to small a rudder it couldn't corner well.

Upvote 0

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Pentecostal Boy said:
Actually there was several things wrong with the Titanics' rudder. Not by way of how it was made.It would of been fine on another ship.But like it said in the 1997 Titanic Movie.The ship was to big with to small a rudder it couldn't corner well.
Yeah and that movie also claimed that there was a massive diamond aboard the Titanic as well as Leonardo Di Caprio, doesnt mean just because a movie says it, it was true. The movie WAS pretty loyal to history, but Im sure they had to take a few creative liscenses

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure that part was wrong and it was on several other factors.But yes the part about the rudder was true I should know.I have my own forum about the Titanic am part of one or two others and have my own website about it need to redo website though typos and common mistakes.

Upvote 0

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Pentecostal Boy said:
Sure that part was wrong and it was on several other factors.But yes the part about the rudder was true I should know.I have my own forum about the Titanic am part of one or two others and have my own website about it need to redo website though typos and common mistakes.
The Titanic was designed and built to be the largest, most luxurious liner of all time. NO detail was spared (And before you say lifeboats, they had put as many lifeboats as they had intended to on the ship because back then lifeboat requirements were calculated by gross tonnage of the ship rather than passengers). Now do you honestly think with all that work and preparation that they would have forgotten something as obvious as the frickin rudder?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Antoninus Verus said:
The Titanic was designed and built to be the largest, most luxurious liner of all time. NO detail was spared (And before you say lifeboats, they had put as many lifeboats as they had intended to on the ship because back then lifeboat requirements were calculated by gross tonnage of the ship rather than passengers). Now do you honestly think with all that work and preparation that they would have forgotten something as obvious as the frickin rudder?

You might want to check out this link:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/articles/rudder_weeks.pdf

According to this material you are both right. The Titanic's rudder was too small, although not by all that much. However, the article says that the rudder probably did not have an effect on whether or not the ship would have struck the iceberg.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Pentecostal Boy said:
They obviosly forgot enough lifeboats....And I know those old laws by the way i study this kinda stuff throughly.
They had enoug lifeboats by law, but not by people. The requirements for lifeboats were determined by gross tonnage of the ship, not by the passenger capacity.

Upvote 0

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Pentecostal Boy said:
Like I just said I knew that.I have wached the movie enough to quote it.And know more than enough to write several books and make my own movie.
Hollywood is not the best place to get your education. **Grumbles** Stupid Craft movie, messed it up for the rest of us

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,258.00
Faith
Christian
I used to think Titanic sunk because of pure arrogance too, but maybe not…

In 1909, a liner called the Republic ( also from the White Star Line ) was hit amidships by another steamer – the Florida – causing severe damage. There was no question that the ship would sink. However, Republic had two relatively new safety innovations on board – watertight compartments ( although I think the doors were mechanically operated, not electric like Titanic ) and a wireless operator.

The crew closed the bulkheads after the accident, and the wireless operator called for help. Other ships received the distress call and made for Republic, while the Florida was able to limp back to the collision site as well. The ship itself took many hours to sink, during which time the passengers transferred by lifeboats, first to the Florida, then to another White Star ship that arrived later ( Baltic ? ).

Fast forward a few years to Titanic. It’s not unreasonable for White Star to believe that if Titanic were to get into trouble, that a similar scenario would play out. The Atlantic sea lanes were fairly heavily travelled ( there were two ships within 4 hours of titanic when it sank ), Titanic had watertight compartments to slow flooding of the ship, and they also had a wireless set to call for help. Other ships would surely arrive before Titanic sunk, and not having enough lifeboats wouldn’t be a problem as the passengers would simply be moved gradually to another ship.

It’s just a pity they were wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd read that one of the biggest licenses in the movie was that there was virtually no way a First class passenger could have had any significant contact with one in Third class. They were kept strictly separate all the time. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment.

(BTW, my wife and I went to the exhibition of Titanic artifacts when it was in town a few years ago. We bought one of the little pieces of coal recovered from the wreckage. 20 bucks for a lump the size of your thumbnail. It comes in a little display box with a "certificate of authenticity." But how do I know it's really from the Titanic? I might have spent $20 for something from Kentucky.)

Upvote 0

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
jayem said:
I'd read that one of the biggest licenses in the movie was that there was virtually no way a First class passenger could have had any significant contact with one in Third class. They were kept strictly separate all the time. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment.
Thats hard to say. It probably was very dificult for the different classes to intermingle, but this was the ship's maiden voyage and everyone was new to the ship so Im sure there was a fair ammount of chaos and a clever third class passenger could slip past a steward for a little bit of roaming on the upper decks. But not for very long, first class pasengers would probably spot him and report him to the Master at Arms.

What probably NEVER would have taken place was the scene on the stern of the ship where Jack is laying there looking up at the stars. He never would have been able to get to first class levels and STAY there. A passenger would have reported him or a staff member would have started asking questions

Upvote 0

Antoninus Verus

Dec 28, 2004
Californication
✟2,022.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Pentecostal Boy said:
Actually the First Class was given tours of the entire ship including third class while everyone else was forced to be looked at by the first class like a circus act.
First Class was given tours OF the first class area and probably shown the hatchways that went DOWN to second and third class, but Im sure they never went down there unless they HAD to. That would be a museum guide taking you on a tour but stopping by the bathroom and giving you a tour.

Upvote 0