Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
kurabrhm said:
yes, i do live in Southampton. But I haven't seen the Titanic memorial.
I'm sure there are sociologists and politicians out there who might argue that the Titanic incident is a microcosmic reflection of class differences during that time. There were more working class fatalities on that night than middle class. Its no wonder because the ship's elite were of course middle class and the times in which they lived in didn't of course provide them the inclination to save the working class. Of course the accident was a tragedy when the ship hit the iceberg. But what was even worse was the "human iceberg" which sank more people than imaginable.

Wow, this is an interesting and thoughtful assessment. :cool: "A microcosmic reflection of class differences during that time." Sometimes that is the case with significant historical events some more obvious than others...a good example of overt class differences would be, "The Fall of the Bastile" in the French Revolution. The people storming the prison were the proletariat (mob) and the Bastile was a symbol of decadence and aristocratic authority. (monarchy)

As far as the Titanic goes I have wondered why the lifeboats which were partially filled up couldn't have held third class passengers from below, but maybe they couldn't make it to the top. Not sure of all of that. The Gilded Age at the beginning of the 20th Century was one in which a few had much and the many had little. A very rich John Jacob Astor in a 1st class luxury suite and the Irish immigrants in 3rd class steerage, yet both died. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It was like so many other disasters from the Johnstown Flood to the Hindenberg to the Challenger--a terrible tragedy made even worse becasue it was preventable.

The Titanic is a story of "what ifs:"

What it the the crewmen in the crows nest would have had binoculars? (There were a couple pair on the ship but no one could find them).

What if the sea would have been rougher?

What if the rudder had been larger?

What if the Titanic had hit the iceberg head on?

What if the engines had not been reversed?

What if the watertight doors had been left open? (The ship would still have sunk but it would have taken longer because the ship would have remained on an even keel and rescue ships would probably have had time to arrive).

What if the SS Californian, which was stopped only a few miles from the Titanic, had responded to the ship's singal rockets?

What if the lifeboats had been filled to capacity?

As with so many other disasters, lives were needlessly lost.

BTW, the White Star Line actually installed more lifeboats on the TItanic than British law required but it was still far short of what was needed. German ships at that time were required to have enough lifeboats for all passengers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Crusading_Ostrich

There is no rain in Spain. It is a myth.
Aug 30, 2004
✟9,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
eaglex said:
It was the arrogance of man himself. Saying the the TITANIC was unsinkable was a fist flying in the face of GOD. Something had to happen and 1500 people paid for it with their lives.
I dont believe it to be a fist flying in the face of God. It was the greatest ocean liner built to that time. People were proud of it. It was an accident that could have been avoided. To read to much further into is extremely speculative and dangerous. My comb says its unbreakable...does that mean that there will be divine judgement on the maker of the comb? No! For the time, no one expected it to sink, and there was no reason to expect it to. The reason for the deaths was arrogance yes, but in so much as they did not want to stock it with enought life boats - that is just stupid! But look at the benefits afterwards of the new regulations for steamships that HAVE saved lives.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The majority of the people who went down with the ship were third-class passengers--those who had the least. Many of them didn't choose to sail on the Titanic--they were assigned to said aboard her because other ships were being held in port due to a strike by coal miners. The President of the White Star Line escaped in a lifeboat. If it was "a fist flying in the face of God," why would God most severely punish those who had no control whatsoever over that fist?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Pentecostal Boy said:
look at 9/11 we were arogent most of America thought that we didn't need god.Well we did and still do!!!I do think that God let it sink he didn't force it to but I think he let it becuase of people being cocky.

As with RMS Titanic, I always thought of 9-11 as having been the work of man not of God.

Upvote 0