Married
Politics
US-Others
That's an oxymoron

HUH?

oxymoron
ŏk″sē-môr′ŏn″
noun
  1. A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.
  2. In rhetoric, a figure consisting in adding to a word an epithet or qualification apparently contradictory; in general, close connection of two words seemingly opposed to each other (as, cruel kindness; to make haste slowly); an expression made epigrammatic or pointed by seeming self-contradictory.
  3. A figure in which an epithet of a contrary signification is added to a word; e. g., cruel kindness; laborious idleness.

How is "non stop violence around the Untied States" an oxymoron?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Angry, violent, toxic: How extremists are drowning out local California governments
Three of Shasta County’s elected supervisors have the sort of conservative credentials that would normally guarantee a long political career in this Republican stronghold... For much of the past two years, vocal extremists have swarmed their board meetings spewing a toxic mix of conspiracy theories and violent rhetoric ...
(all three have been subject to recall efforts. One will be on the ballot in Feb.)

A far-right insurrection aims to take over this Northern California county, at the ballot box

Far-right activists, including members of a local militia, led a successful recall campaign in February against a Republican supervisor. Now the newly formed “Liberty Committee” is backing a Tuesday election slate of Crye and five other candidates to further consolidate power. The group’s website declares that “our country is under assault. It’s time to take it back, one state, county and city at a time.”

In recent months, county government has been in near chaos. Board meetings have been raucous, with anti-establishment activists screaming and threatening violence. Some county workers say they fear for their safety.

In May, the new conservative majority on the Board of Supervisors fired the county’s health officer, Dr. Karen Ramstrom.

Shortly after that, the county’s chief administrator, Matt Pontes, announced that he was leaving — but not before he told the local paper that one of the pro-recall supervisors, gun-store manager Patrick Jones, had been “blackmailing” him.

The county’s voters now face a stark choice between the Liberty Committee’s slateand the traditional Republican establishment.

Last month, [Liberty Committee financial backer] Anselmo told a reporter from the Redding Record Searchlight that it was no accident that the committee is only backing men. Women tend to be too emotional and “squishy,” the paper reported Anselmo as saying. He did not respond to an email asking him to elaborate.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recall that right before the civil war started, one Congressman nearly beat another congressman to death with a cane on the House floor. Wonder if that's gonna happen again.
I believe that is why congress installed metal detectors a few years ago. They recognized, (many of them), how dangerous tribalism can be.

Upvote 0

ottawak

Aug 1, 2021
North Carolina
✟16,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
A far-right insurrection aims to take over this Northern California county, at the ballot box

Far-right activists, including members of a local militia, led a successful recall campaign in February against a Republican supervisor. Now the newly formed “Liberty Committee” is backing a Tuesday election slate of Crye and five other candidates to further consolidate power. The group’s website declares that “our country is under assault. It’s time to take it back, one state, county and city at a time.”

In recent months, county government has been in near chaos. Board meetings have been raucous, with anti-establishment activists screaming and threatening violence. Some county workers say they fear for their safety.

In May, the new conservative majority on the Board of Supervisors fired the county’s health officer, Dr. Karen Ramstrom.

Shortly after that, the county’s chief administrator, Matt Pontes, announced that he was leaving — but not before he told the local paper that one of the pro-recall supervisors, gun-store manager Patrick Jones, had been “blackmailing” him.

The county’s voters now face a stark choice between the Liberty Committee’s slateand the traditional Republican establishment.

Last month, [Liberty Committee financial backer] Anselmo told a reporter from the Redding Record Searchlight that it was no accident that the committee is only backing men. Women tend to be too emotional and “squishy,” the paper reported Anselmo as saying. He did not respond to an email asking him to elaborate.
Ah, California. My native state needs a new motto: Not just left-wing loonies any more."

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Menace, as a Political Tool, Enters the Republican Mainstream

It paints an ugly picture of our political future...

Thoughts?
I think the likelihood is a steady increase in random shootings, accompanied by more 'thoughts and prayers' and increasingly entrenched partisan divisions. If Trump gets in again that might escalate to further changes in the law that allow for state sanctioned violence of one kind or another against anyone Trump and his mini me-s \(meez?) don't like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Don't forget - to the left, the portrayal of murdering of a sitting President was viewed as entertainment also.

View attachment 308452

Not just the left... That very same Shakespeare company did an Obama-themed production of Julius Caesar while he was president, and the right didn't object one bit...

upload_2022-6-3_12-30-59.png

...or did you mean that the left finds it entertaining because the right doesn't attend Shakespeare plays? Their loss...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Voting is now "insurrection"?
Sounds like a label to intimidate conservatives from voting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Once it becomes more obvious that nationalism is dying to global corporatism, we may see the far-left join forces with the far-right. Now that would be interesting. Disturbing, but interesting.

Not gonna happen. The left, especially the far left, tends to be allergic to nationalism

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Menace, as a Political Tool, Enters the Republican Mainstream

It paints an ugly picture of our political future...

Thoughts?

You reap what you sow?

Remember back when punch a nazi was a thing? I don't like nazis....but I don't approve of assaulting someone speaking their mind.

Member Antifa? We literally saw these people beating up right wing supporters and the left in full blown denial....or open support.

Well...

I would remember Rittenhouse. A baby faced guy trying to do good....he ran from an armed mob, was assaulted, and still turned out to be deadlier than the rioters.

The military is largely conservative. The law enforcement community, local, state, and federal....largely conservative. Nearly all the wingnut militia hoping that such a day will come....conservative.

But hey, at least the left infiltrated schools and social media....those ought to be useful institutions when the fight breaks out. I'm sure the body positive, gender confused, victimhood claiming left is ready for it.

Tell you what...if it comes to the worst...I'll do whatever I can to see as many spared as possible.

• Useful
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That will happen if enough high ranking law enforcement and courts are infiltrated at a high level. Fortunately there are, so far, enough conservative patriots to buffer this effort.

Infiltrated?!?

I can't stop laughing.

Do you imagine they're filled with Democrats?

I'd guess it's about 10-1 conservatives. I've met a few with some liberal leanings....but they completely reject the progressive far left.

If we have a Civil War Part 2....my guess is it will be ugly, but shorter than the 1st.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do AntiFa or BLM actually get voted into positions of power by the people who support their thuggery?

Does it matter to the people promoting violence? If you had your business destroyed by BLM and the Democratic Party mayor running the city told the police to hold back and quit using tear gas....

Who do you think they blame? The right or left?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I struggle with comments like this. Yes there is a small group of Antifa folks who sometimes resort to violence but no Democrat candidate for office shows up on their ads waving an Antifa flag.

I know you probably never read this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...arges-was-tied-to-democratic-policymakers.amp

What a difference a year made for Joseph Alcoff.

On Monday, the 37-year-old has a court date in connection with charges he’s facing in
Philadelphia that include aggravated assault and ethnic intimidation for allegedly being part of an Antifa mob in November that attacked two Marines, Alejandro Godinez and Luis Torres, both Hispanic. Alcoff and two others charged in the attack have pleaded not guilty.

His endorsement apparently mattered when several congressional Democrats in February 2018 issued press releases with his quote backing their bill on regulating payday lenders.

As the payday campaign manager for the liberal group Americans for Financial Reform, Alcoff participated in congressional Democratic press conferences, was a guest on a House Democratic podcast and met with senior officials at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau from 2016 through 2018

Alcoff was reportedly also an organizer for Smash Racism DC, the group responsible for gathering and shouting threats outside the home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson in November and for heckling Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and his wife Heidi at a Washington restaurant in September. Reports have not said Alcoff was directly involved in either incident; only that he was associated with the group

I'm sure Smash Racism DC is just a discussion group. They just wanted a talk lol.

Unfortunately domestic terrorism in the US that results in violences is almost always right wing terrorism.

Eh?

Does it match a single man in a van loaded with sufficient explosives to take out half a federal building (including a daycare) murdering 168 people in one afternoon?

The federal building....attacked by a man who hated the federal government.

Is he right wing? I don't recall his ideology....just motives.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
When they seek to destroy the nation?

You'd agree with that....I'm sure.
Wasnt asking you.

But since you chimed in: A lot of right wing politicans are claiming that "the left" or members of "the left" are "seeking to destroy the nation" for years. So why havent they started killing those members of "the left" yet?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to a discussion forum....where what you just said in this post never matters.

It's a good answer. I thought it was a good question. Good questions deserve good answers.
Its not a good answer because "seeking to destroy the nation" is a very subjective thing.

Upvote 0