• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured The Restitution Of All Things

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by FineLinen, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,409
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The Lord Jesus Christ Is The Head Of The Church and The Head Of The Councils.

2. Oldmantook

Oldmantook Well-Known Member

+1,026
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yeah right; men are infallible. I totally reject that as only God IS INFALLIBLE.

3. Oldmantook

+1,026
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Quite the contrary but feel free to believe as you wish!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+1,409
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The Lord Jesus Christ Is The Head Of The Church and The Head Of The Councils.

5. Oldmantook

+1,026
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yours is a fallacy of logic. Jesus is the head of every man but every man is fallible - including men on the Councils.

6. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+1,409
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    • Jesus left A Church On Earth.

• He said that the gates of Hell would Not prevail against it.

• His Church had Councils.

• Universalism was Defeated and Condemned at These Councils / Thread

7. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+2,782
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    So you don't believe the Bible is infallible?

8. Oldmantook

+1,026
    Non-Denom
    Married
    • He left a church composed of fallible humans.
    • Gates of Hell do not prevail against it despite fallible humans and only because of an infallible God.
    • Church had fallible Councils.
    • Universalism was "defeated" by fallible humans.
    Like I said. Illogical arguments that you have proposed.

9. Oldmantook

+1,026
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Of course the Bible is infallible. It is man's interpretation of Scripture that is subject to question. Big difference.

10. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+1,409
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The Lord Jesus Christ Defeated Universalism and worked through His Church and Bishops At The Councils to defeat it.

11. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve Supporter

+2,067
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What does God expect us to do when we are rejected? Forgive or retaliate?
    Should we expect any less from him?

12. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,466
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I'm finding it hard to verify that this was actually an act of the council. Indeed the Catholic Encyclopedia seems to indicate substantial doubt. CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Origen and Origenism

Furthermore, not all of us accept that council as authoritative. I personally consider it a failed attempt at a political compromise.

13. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve Supporter

+2,067
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That is a monstrous assumption. (both in size and intent)
    Claiming that Christ defeated Universalism?

14. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,466
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I should note that I'm not convinced of universalism. However I object to the unwarranted condemnations of it and of people who believe it. I'm not convinced because it appears to me that Jesus didn't teach it, although I think it's likely that Paul did.

15. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+905
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Jesus Christ of Nazareth restored the relationship between man and the Father. He did the work of restitution by His sacrifice and then restoring His Holy Spirit back into the life of the believer once rejected by Adam and Eve through sin.
    Blessings.

16. FineLinen

FineLinen Senior Veteran Supporter

+1,257
    Non-Denom
    Dear Hedrick: the Lord Jesus Christ declares He would draw ALL unto Himself. Will He? I am inclined to believe His purpose shall be fulfilled completely. He refused to allow miracle remnants of fish and bread to be lost/wasted. Will He allow the mass for whom He is the Mercy Seat to be lost and wasted?

St. Paul expresses the following>>>

"It is in Him, and through the shedding of His blood, that we have our deliverance--the forgiveness of our offences--so abundant was God's grace, the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. And you..."

The highest glories of the Son of God, our Lord Jesus Christ, are revealed to us in Paul’s epistle to the Colossians.

In the beginning He was “…the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: for by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him and for Him: and He is before all things, and by Him all things consist” (Col. 1:15-17).

Can the UNIVERSALITY of Christ’s creation be more forcibly expressed? In every case the word ALL is used WITHOUT ANY LIMITATION whatever. The heavens and the earth with all that is in them, visible and invisible, include ALL creation.

https://kingdom-resources.com/2017/03/02/the-savior-of-the-world-reconciliation-in-the-heavens-chapter-15/ 3

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  17. FineLinen

+1,257
    Non-Denom
    The first-born and first-fruits are the “few” and “little flock;” but these, though first delivered from the curse, have a relation to the whole creation, which shall be saved in the appointed times by the first-born seed, that is by Christ and His body, through those appointed baptisms, whether of fire or water, which are required to bring about “the restitution of all things.” St. Paul expressly declares this when he says, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ, … that in the dispensation of the fullness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are in the earth, even in Him.”

18. Oldmantook

+1,026
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Your prerogative to continue in believing in the fallible minds of men who composed the councils. Neither did you respond to the fact why Apocatstasis was not condemned during Origen's lifetime. For these obvious reasons, I reject your claim.

19. FineLinen

+1,257
    Non-Denom
    “Am I then to believe that the same God Who expends millions of years in slowly fitting this earth for man’s habitation, will only allow to man himself a few fleeting years, or months, or hours, as it may be, as his sole preparation time for eternity?

To settle questions so unspeakably great in their issue -questions stretching away to a horizon so far distant that no power of thought can follow them-in such hot haste, does seem quite at variance with our heavenly Father’s ways.

Is God’s action outside man so slow, and within man so hurried? Is the husk of far more value than the seed? Are millions of years allotted to fashioning man’s earthly home, while for man’s spiritual training for eternity, but a few brief years are given, and these so largely broken up by sleep, by work, by disease, by ignorance?

What should we say -to take a homely illustration -of an arrangement allotting 10,000 years to fashioning a man’s coat, or building his house, while assigning to his whole education but a few hours?” -Thomas Allin (Christ Triumphant)

20. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+2,782
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yet you believe in the Bible which was written by the Church you deny.