The Republican Party Should Stop Ignoring Black People

Should the GOP do more to help black people than it currently is?

• Total voters

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Never said it was going to help black people...used as examples of how the Republicans are terrible at capturing the narrative.

Okay, I would disagree with both of the points you made. But even if they could "capture the narrative", Republicans aren't doing anything for blacks. That would seem to be the point being made.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Blacks are easily the most partisian voter demographic in this country, racial or otherwise. Why should they expect a political party that they reject so overwhelmingly to care about what they want?

Why would a party that doesn't care about what blacks want, expect votes from them?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why would a party that doesn't care about what blacks want, expect votes from them?
Or vice versa. Blacks tend not to vote Republican, so they are rarely considered when Republicans are in power.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Or vice versa. Blacks tend not to vote Republican, so they are rarely considered when Republicans are in power.

Well, yes. I think that's essentially what SOTK was saying. So, it's circular. Republicans see no reason to court blacks, and blacks have no reason to vote Republican, so Republicans see no reason to court blacks, so blacks don't vote Republican, so Republicans see no reason to court blacks, and so on and so forth.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟279,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Likewise, Democrats don't seem to be especially interested in trying to win back the South, which they lost fifty years ago. Of course, I'm not going to whine that "The Democratic Party Should Stop Ignoring the South".

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's both. And it's about refusing to acknowledge the damage done by policies of the past. Anti-black racism blocked blacks from avenues of advancement, self-improvement, and wealth creation that were available to whites, which ultimately caused blacks to be poorer and less-educated than whites and segregated from whites. Being segregated, poor, and uneducated then causes its own host of self-reinforcing problems that persist over generations.
Here is the problem we always assume the enemy is on the outside when it's the enemy on the inside that destroys us. This is what the Jews thought if only Jesus helped them remove the Romans from power but at the end they lined up with the Romans in order to crucify Jesus.

Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟17,081.00
Faith
Baptist
Problem is that Republicans really are not ignoring blacks...they are just not selectively targeting blacks. Programs geared towards getting businesses to expand is indirectly there to help blacks, whites, Latinos, etc. If the unemployment rate drops, workforce participation increases, and everyone is working...then even blacks are helped out by a booming economy. And Republican programs are geared more often towards GDP growth as a nation instead of just a select community. It is top down verses bottom up approaches.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The real issue (which is not even being addressed) is that during the time America has had a black Democrat President, the plight of blacks has deteriorated while the issue of racism has been exacerbated for political purposes.

Blacks voted for Obama purely because of color, and he has turned around and undermined their well-being, by promoting the acceptance of millions of illegals, and actually opening the border to flood the country with illegal Hispanics (and terrorists). Trump is a greater friend of Blacks than Obama, and there are many Blacks who are recognizing this. Some black pastors are even endorsing him.

At the same time, under Republican presidents before him, blacks actually prospered and gained prominent positions in all walks of life. But people like Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice were Republican in name only, and switched over to Obama because he is black. Why did these prominent black people fail to make the Republican party more involved with Blacks? Because they really could not be bothered, and perhaps their values were not really conservative. But people like Ben Carson have a clearer perspective and they understand what is going on.

Today we have Black Racism but no one will call it what it is, except Louis Farrakhan, who says "Kill all the whites". Is Black Racism preferable to White Racism? Should it not be condemned from all sides? Have people even commented on the fact that Obama has been putting incompetent Blacks (like himself) in very high offices, and politicising departments which should remain neutral? We seem to forget that professional agitators have been hired by some big money boys to create havoc in Ferguson, and after Ferguson in many other cities. Facts did not matter, since they played on the emotions of people with the help of rascals like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Blacks should be condemning these manipulators.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Problem is that Republicans really are not ignoring blacks...they are just not selectively targeting blacks. Programs geared towards getting businesses to expand is indirectly there to help blacks, whites, Latinos, etc. If the unemployment rate drops, workforce participation increases, and everyone is working...then even blacks are helped out by a booming economy. And Republican programs are geared more often towards GDP growth as a nation instead of just a select community. It is top down verses bottom up approaches.

I think you're basically right. The problem is that Republicans do it in a very backhanded way. It's the Republicans who made a fuss when the confederate flags over state buildings were taken down. It was a Republican candidate who claimed that blacks vote Democrat because they want "free stuff". It was the current Speaker of the House who claimed that poverty was due to "inner city" men. And one only need to listen to Conservative Radio to understand how Republicans on the whole feel about black people. And it was the poster directly above me who claimed that blacks only voted for Obama because he is black, because apparently, blacks aren't any more sophisticated than that.

And they have to say stuff like that. They have to ignore and insult blacks, and gays, and Latinos, and Muslims, and whoever else. Because if they don't, they will lose the south. And Republicans can't afford to lose the south.

I mean honestly, I don't really believe that Republicans care one wit about black people. Maybe they'll take care of the economy, but they have no interest in taking care of me and my family. I don't think most Democrats do either, but I can count on some of them trying to do something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think you're basically right. The problem is that Republicans do it in a very backhanded way. It's the Republicans who made a fuss when the confederate flags over state buildings were taken down. It was a Republican candidate who claimed that blacks vote Democrat because they want "free stuff". It was the current Speaker of the House who claimed that poverty was due to "inner city" men. And one only need to listen to Conservative Radio to understand how Republicans on the whole feel about black people. And it was the poster directly above me who claimed that blacks only voted for Obama because he is black, because apparently, blacks aren't any more sophisticated than that.

And they have to say stuff like that. They have to ignore and insult blacks, and gays, and Latinos, and Muslims, and whoever else. Because if they don't, they will lose the south. And Republicans can't afford to lose the south.

I mean honestly, I don't really believe that Republicans care one wit about black people. Maybe they'll take care of the economy, but they have no interest in taking care of me and my family. I don't think most Democrats do either, but I can count on some of them trying to do something.
Wrong on the bolded. Republicans led the charge to remove the flag in SC and Alabama.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Black people are still second-class citizens in America, and I don't think it's debatable
What would you know about it?

Never mind answering that, I can easily see from your points that you are way, way wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟686,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

the South has influence in elections?!?!?!

This is why I was always afraid of non-southerners growing up--not black people. It's because I thought that they thought we were all racist idiots who buy into the propaganda of the evil conservatives.

So, apparently, we Southerners will ONLY vote for a candidate if they insult minorities? Ronald Reagan and the Bushes don't count?

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟17,081.00
Faith
Baptist

Well as to voting...in 2008 and 2012 election cycles the % of blacks coming out to vote increased dramatically during that cycle. In 2004 only 11% of the voters were black, in 2008 it jumped to 12.1%, it was up to 12.9% in 2012. And in 2012 overall voter turn out had dipped dramatically. It is interesting to note that also in 2008 and 2012 the black community jumped up dramatically in alternative voting methods (absentee, mail in, etc). From about 10% to about 30% from 2004 to 2008.
http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/demo/p20-577.pdf

And considering exit polls showed 93% of blacks voted for Obama in 2012, 95% voted for Obama in 2008, in 2004 only 88% voted Democrat, in 2000 it was 90%. It is not a far fetched correlation to claim that many blacks came out to vote for Obama based solely on his race. That is not saying all, or even most. But we even had people say that is the only reason they voted for him. So to deny that is a matter of sticking your head in the sand. Some people voted for McCain simply because he was white, or simply because he was a war vet...lots of people vote based on nothing to do with politics.

As to Republicans caring for black people. Yes they do care. But what you apparently want to hear is that they care more for black people than other people. That they should provide special treatment for blacks. Which in and of itself is racist. Government should be there to ensure that everyone has the same opportunities, not provide one person an advantage over another. And things like affirmative action do just that. It does not solve the problem it provides a crutch. No one is denying that blacks do not have some of the same opportunities. Often it is not a matter of skin color but of economic and social upbringing.

But by and large the people of this country are not racist. No one feels any one race is superior than the other. And the systems we have in place are not racist either, but what happens is that the people disproportionately affected by those systems tend to be minorities. The solution is not to give one race "bonus points" in order to be able to compete in the opportunities because that says that one race is not capable of performing that on their own...they are inferior. that is racist. That is the policies that Democrats have pushed. Give blacks extra points for job applications in the government so they get hired more often. Racist. Instead of addressing why blacks are not at the level of whites and what it would take to get them there without giving them a crutch or "bonus points".

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Black people are still second-class citizens in America, and I don't think it's debatable:

• According to the Centers for Disease Control, black babies die over twice as much as white babies. The infant death rate for black Americans rivals Mexico's. It's higher than 120 countries, including African countries like Seychelles and Botswana, I'm not joking.
  • Until 2010, the sentencing disparity between crack cocaine (mostly used by minorities and the poor) and powder cocaine (mostly used by whites and well-off people) was 100-to-one; now it's 18-to-one.
  • According to the U.S. Sentencing Commission, blacks are sentenced to 20% longer prison stays than whites with similar criminal histories.
  • The Department of Housing and Urban Development conducts a massive study on housing discrimination every ten years, and each time whites are shown way more homes than minorities with the same qualifications—one reason why blacks who make $100,000 a year live in the same kinds of neighborhoods as whites who make $30,000 a year.
  • Over 60% of black and Hispanic students attend high-poverty schools, compared to 18% of whites (since we fund public schools with local property taxes, schools in poor areas are usually terrible). According to the Department of Education, black students are twice as likely to be taught by the most inexperienced teachers and four times as likely to be taught by teachers who don't meet all state teaching requirements.
  • Banks still have systemic racist lending practices.
  • Even when they're assigned otherwise identical resumes, whites get 50% more callbacks for a job interview than blacks do, and white job-seekers who were just released from prison get more callbacks than blacks and Hispanics who don't have criminal records. When I talk about these injustices, Republicans usually tell me blacks "just need to work harder" or "be more responsible" to make up for them—but even black people who've earned college degrees have less wealth than white high school dropouts. And all this is happening after centuries of slavery, discrimination and plunder had already left black people much worse off to begin with.
What does the Republican Party think about all this race-based inequality? For the most part, either that it doesn't exist or doesn't matter. Almost two thirds of Republicans think whites are discriminated against more than blacks. 50% of Republicans think discrimination from past had no effect on the current wealth gap between whites and blacks, and 70% think slavery had no effect. 80% don't support any changes at all to advance racial equality. Over 60% don't think we need the Voting Rights Act anymore (in fact, it was all five Republican-appointed Supreme Court Justices who struck down section 4(b) of the Voting Rights Act in 2013). Over three fourths don't think we need any laws to protect minorities from employment discrimination. I doubt most Republicans think we need laws against housing discrimination either, since over 90% think it doesn't happen. Last year, when a police officer choked Eric Garner to death, 60% of Republicans supported the grand jury's decision not to charge him with a crime. I remember Fox News actually saying the police officer had to do it because Eric Garner "weighed over 400 pounds" and was therefore a threat—as if he was 400 pounds of pure muscle instead of an unarmed obese man surrounded by five armed police officers. Meanwhile, Donald Trump—who almost 90% of Republicans say they'll vote for if he gets the nomination, and who's by far the Republican front-runner for President—defended six of his supporters when they beat up a Black Lives Matter protester and shouted the N-word.

The official Republican Party platform, which goes on for 62 pages, doesn't even mention race-based inequality, not even to acknowledge that it exists. Of the 40 million Republicans who are running for President, none of their campaign websites mention it either (though Rand Paul hints at it on his page for criminal justice reform). Why not? All three of the Democratic candidates have large discussions of it on their websites, including dozens of policy responses. And the shame of it all is, the Republican Party has such an opportunity to be "the party of civil rights," because the Democrats' reforms are mostly half-measures. The Republican Party could be the sole major party to propose reparations—if not for slavery or Jim Crow, then at least for injustices that are still happening. It could be the only major party to consistently support universal healthcare, or free college, or European-style welfare payments, so when a lot of minorities find themselves at the bottom of the class system, they're not as cut off from basic security and economic mobility. It could be the only major party to support strict racial quotas across all industries, so a black person doesn't need eight more years of work experience to have the same chance at a job as a white person. But instead it gives away the vote of 90% of blacks by completely ignoring their interests.

this thread does exactly what your supporting evidence does.

mainly, a shock and awe tactic.

no meat.

no real evidence.

just something to make people mad and post all their anger,

driving more views to it.

good choice, I must say......very intelligent of you.

(check this out...http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/african-american-republicans-influential-2015/2015/02/18/id/625445/)

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Well as to voting...in 2008 and 2012 election cycles the % of blacks coming out to vote increased dramatically during that cycle. In 2004 only 11% of the voters were black, in 2008 it jumped to 12.1%, it was up to 12.9% in 2012. And in 2012 overall voter turn out had dipped dramatically. It is interesting to note that also in 2008 and 2012 the black community jumped up dramatically in alternative voting methods (absentee, mail in, etc). From about 10% to about 30% from 2004 to 2008.
http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/demo/p20-577.pdf

And considering exit polls showed 93% of blacks voted for Obama in 2012, 95% voted for Obama in 2008, in 2004 only 88% voted Democrat, in 2000 it was 90%. It is not a far fetched correlation to claim that many blacks came out to vote for Obama based solely on his race. That is not saying all, or even most. But we even had people say that is the only reason they voted for him. So to deny that is a matter of sticking your head in the sand. Some people voted for McCain simply because he was white, or simply because he was a war vet...lots of people vote based on nothing to do with politics.

No, no. I think you'll find that the statement your Republican friend used was "Blacks voted for Obama purely because of color". If this is a statement you, as a Republican, are going to make, there's no sense in being wishy-washy racist on it. Say "Black people voted for a Obama because of color" or don't say it. Don't go half-racist on me.

As to Republicans caring for black people. Yes they do care. But what you apparently want to hear is that they care more for black people than other people. That they should provide special treatment for blacks. Which in and of itself is racist. Government should be there to ensure that everyone has the same opportunities, not provide one person an advantage over another. And things like affirmative action do just that. It does not solve the problem it provides a crutch. No one is denying that blacks do not have some of the same opportunities. Often it is not a matter of skin color but of economic and social upbringing.

Republicans do not care. They care so little, that they purposely and consistently, insult black people. A party that claims that I am why there is poverty in the U.S. does not care about me. I party that says that I just want "free stuff" does not care about me. This is a party that says Mexicans are criminals and racists, and Muslims are terrorists simply to appeal to racist America. Even in voting registration ID arguments, somewhere along the line it has become the accusation that it is black people that are committing voter fraud. I'm sorry, I know what part of the population they do care about, and when they're prepared to throw minorities into the fire to get votes, we know they do not care about us.

But by and large the people of this country are not racist. No one feels any one race is superior than the other.

Nobody? Have you ever been to the South? I'll tell you, I just got back this week from a tour of the Carolinas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. Yes, they think they're better than I am. The first people I met in Charlotte laughed at the black man in the suit. And yes, they are Republican.

And the systems we have in place are not racist either, but what happens is that the people disproportionately affected by those systems tend to be minorities.

If those systems were a person, and we said that that person disproportionately beat up on minorities, we would call that person a racist. One just needs to look at the justice system to know that the system is racist. Blacks consistently get harsher punishments than whites for the same offenses.

The solution is not to give one race "bonus points" in order to be able to compete in the opportunities because that says that one race is not capable of performing that on their own...they are inferior. that is racist. That is the policies that Democrats have pushed. Give blacks extra points for job applications in the government so they get hired more often. Racist. Instead of addressing why blacks are not at the level of whites and what it would take to get them there without giving them a crutch or "bonus points".

I agree. But the Democrats do not pander to the percentage of the population that is still afraid of minorities. It doesn't exploit racist attitudes to get votes. And since there are only two parties, what do you expect black people to do? The party that goes out of it's way to call us lazy, stupid, thugs, or the Democrats.

Last edited:
Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
this thread does exactly what your supporting evidence does.

mainly, a shock and awe tactic.

no meat.

no real evidence.

just something to make people mad and post all their anger,

driving more views to it.

good choice, I must say......very intelligent of you.

(check this out...http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/african-american-republicans-influential-2015/2015/02/18/id/625445/)

Shaq (who is not Republican but endorsed Chris Christie for Governor)? The Rock (who does not actually consider himself political)? LL Cool J? Herschel Walker? Prince (who also does not consider himself political)? Don King? Stacey Dash? Karl Malone? The list is so thin that you have to include musicians, actors, and sports figures among the most powerful in the country? The list kind of illustrates how hard it is to find black Republicans. Or how little power they actually have.

Heck, even #2, Colin Powell, says that he only remains a Republican to annoy the rest of the party.

Last edited:
Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0