just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know if anyone else has seen it, but BBC Four recently aired a documentary by historian, Tristram Hunt and I was fortunate enough to have someone provide me with a DVD of the complete series. Unfortunately, there is no telling when it might be aired here or released for purchase, but I thought it informative and interesting enough that it should be shared, so after some searching, we finally found all four parts online.

It is lengthy, but worth a look, IMO. I've watched parts of it several times. :)

Part 1: The Politics of Belief

Part 2: The Godly Family

Part 3: A Reformation of the Mind

Part 4: No Rest for the Wicked

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am now in a long and tedious process of downloading all the parts. :doh: :liturgy:
Part 1 is still at 35%. :)

Yes, I know I can watch it on-line.

But I trust you for this being really good.
So, let me make a DVD first and then I watch. :)

Thanks, :angel:
Ed

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Downloaded one in MP-4, but it does not play anywhere - Real Player, DivX, Windows Player, VLN, etc, ect ...

Played with codex's for about an hour - zilch.
Looked at all the suggestions on the web - nada.

Is there a way to get these DVDs? ... :) ... :)

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Downloaded one in MP-4, but it does not play anywhere - Real Player, DivX, Windows Player, VLN, etc, ect ...

Played with codex's for about an hour - zilch.
Looked at all the suggestions on the web - nada.

Is there a way to get these DVDs? ... :) ... :)

I'm going to attempt to make copies. If I succeed, I'll gladly provide you with a copy, Ed. :)

Do you have a region free DVD player? The only DVD I have was recorded in the UK, so it's of little value in an unlocked player. Sorry.

Bear with me and I'll see what I can find out for you, but why not just watch it online? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Tofferer

LCMS - Lutherie
Nov 15, 2004
Lakewood WA
Visit site
✟19,597.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And the problem is:

WINDOWS!

I downloaded the first one and was able to watch it with the default VLC media player that comes with Puppy Linux 3.01. However, does it bother anyone that the video is being uploaded by an atheist?

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And the problem is:

WINDOWS!

I downloaded the first one and was able to watch it with the default VLC media player that comes with Puppy Linux 3.01. However, does it bother anyone that the video is being uploaded by an atheist?

Nope. It's been made available for countless people to view, so I chalk it up to the power of the Holy Spirit. Faith comes by hearing, right? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I downloaded using Safari 3 in Mac OS X, each took about 13-15 minutes to download. Then it opens fine in QuickTime.

So, what about the atheist who made the servers, and operates the hosting company for this site? :D

I'm really curious to know what you think of this, Filo. The hisorical information put forth is well done, I thought, but I am a bit of a geek in that respect. I did find it curious that Dr. Hunt didn't interview anyone at the Lutheran seminary at Cambridge (or at least it didn't make the cut) even though he studied there and seems to hold Luther's perspectives in high regard.

A point that made us laugh, and frankly disgusted me, was Wendy Wright and the frightening extreme fundamentalist position she puts forth when it comes to science. Her insinuation that scientific advancement and research SHOULD be curtailed is just silly and it's statements like the one she makes in one of the later parts that lends to the criticism of all Christians. :sigh: What is this Concerned Women for America organization, anyway? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And the problem is:

WINDOWS!

So ... I change the OS? :)

I tried VLC and it does not play there either ...

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to attempt to make copies. If I succeed, I'll gladly provide you with a copy, Ed. :)

Do you have a region free DVD player? The only DVD I have was recorded in the UK, so it's of little value in an unlocked player. Sorry.

Bear with me and I'll see what I can find out for you, but why not just watch it online? :scratch:
I was able to find first 2 parts in the Internet and downladed them in AVI.
Plays fine.
I'll make DVDs out of them later ...

Now, ... the last two parts ... :) searching ... :)

The reason I persoanlly like these in a portable version - I would rather watch them on TV.
I also could make copies for others, since it is free to distribute.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I figure if none of his installed media players is working, then there must be problem within his OS. Probably needs to run a registry cleaner and anti-virus of some sort and then it may work.
My antivirus is run regularly, but I'll try it again, but do not think this is it.
People have experienced similar problems with some MP4s online ...

Will keep on looking.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Try it in RealPlayer, Ed, letting the program handle the download automatically. Mine plays the video afterward with no problem that I've noticed yet, but Chris may have hit on your problem.
What do you mean be "letting the program handle the download automatically"?
I chose it as an "open with" and it did not work ...

But I already found the first 2 parts in avi on the net as I just posted ...

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I downloaded using Safari 3 in Mac OS X, each took about 13-15 minutes to download. Then it opens fine in QuickTime.

So, what about the atheist who made the servers, and operates the hosting company for this site? :D
Yeah ... well ... MAC ... keep on bragging. :):)

By the way, I tried it in Quicktime also on PC ... zilch.
I even renamed it to mov ... same zilch. :)

But I'll keep on plugging away. :)

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do you mean be "letting the program handle the download automatically"?
I chose it as an "open with" and it did not work ...

But I already found the first 2 parts in avi on the net as I just posted ...

I guess RealPlayer is my default video managing software. When I chose the Download This Video tab in the upper right hand corner of the online video display, it opened RealPlayer's video download manager and put it in my video play list. Just that simple.

What do you have set as your default video player?

Oh, and my next computer will be a Mac, too.:p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.