St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is my belief that Christianity is antithetical to 'Prosperity Theology'. Jesus was born in a stable, raised by a carpenter and never acquired any sort of possessions at all. In fact He encouraged a man to give his possessions to the poor (Matthew 19:21) and of course there's the verse about the camel passing through the eye of a needle (Matthew 19:24), and many more similar verses.

Unfortunately the fastest growing church in my city is one that constantly preaches about money, and how one needs to sow, by giving to the church, in order to reap the financial rewards. Televangelists appear to almost exclusively preach the 'prosperity gospel'.

What are your thoughts, and how would you answer somebody who believed in the 'prosperity gospel'?
Many preachers have taken finances and giving to very unhealthy places, it is true. But what you say about Jesus is not. There is strong evidence that Jesus had considerable wealth.

First, the gifts the wise men brought were not as depicted today in nativities. Based of some of the words used they probably brought at least 12 camels loaded with valuable gifts.

Jesus had a treasurer, you don't need a treasurer if you don't have treasure. He probably had considerable donations during his ministry, that was common in those days.

During the feeding of the 5000, Jesus first told them to feed the people if they were hungry. The disciples response was not, "we can't" it was more along the lines of, "do you know how much that would cost?", implying they could have done it, but it would have taken a big chunk of their finances.

I know some will argue, that's fine, I've heard it all before and refuted it all before. I'm not looking to do so again. But I think the lesson from this - which is a greater lesson than Jesus being poor - is that if Jesus did in fact have wealth, He was so unmoved and unfazed by it that to this day so many think He was poor. If we could take the same attitude about whatever level of wealth we have - being unmoved and unfazed by it and instead be moved by the Spirit - think of how much better off we would be and the world would be. That sounds way more like Jesus to me.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, for the real wisdom, we do want to always turn to the real Teacher. :)
Great way to end the attempt to reason together..... It is better to lead with this line in future discussions......and not start something we are unable to finish.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,685.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It amazes me that the "prosperity gospel" persists in spite of the clear teaching against it in the Book of Job.
Local national religion often complies with local ideology. Even churches are capable of falling by the wayside and following the ideals of man rather than the Kingdom. Goes back to Constantine officially when the church chose world of man over Kingdom.. Even though churches rarely teach how the two cultures are opposite, the divide between world and Kingdom has been actively played out by the direction those within Christianity take.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟708,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Gonna rush out and get me some of those end of days food survival kits from Jim Bakker and hand them out.
I think I’ll take my chances with irradiated food. Besides I like my food with a slight metallic taste ;)

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,685.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think I’ll take my chances with irradiated food. Besides I like my food with a slight metallic taste
The coppery taste of blood? Then you must like a lot of today's meats. They don't seem to care about bleeding anything any more.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟708,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The coppery taste of blood? Then you must like a lot of today's meats. They don't seem to care about bleeding anything any more.
What are you eating? Horseshoe crabs and Vulcans?
I was thinking Iodine 133.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is my belief that Christianity is antithetical to 'Prosperity Theology'. Jesus was born in a stable, raised by a carpenter and never acquired any sort of possessions at all. In fact He encouraged a man to give his possessions to the poor (Matthew 19:21) and of course there's the verse about the camel passing through the eye of a needle (Matthew 19:24), and many more similar verses.

Unfortunately the fastest growing church in my city is one that constantly preaches about money, and how one needs to sow, by giving to the church, in order to reap the financial rewards. Televangelists appear to almost exclusively preach the 'prosperity gospel'.

What are your thoughts, and how would you answer somebody who believed in the 'prosperity gospel'?
The prosperity gospel is "The Word of Faith" movement. The best way to understand why this is such an incredible draw you need to start from the beginning. Where it started and how it developed into the prosperity gospel. There is a "Word of Faith" thread Word of Faith that may be good to visit to get some inside details on the movement as well. This is a very, very tough system to break out of so you need to really equip yourself with talking points to get them thinking in the right direction. Remember, this is a delusion sent by God and only those who really want to know the truth will find the narrow path that leads to the narrow gate.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would tell them that "give and it will be given to you" and "with the measure you use it will be measured to you" and "bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this, says the LORD of hosts, and see if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows" is certainly "good news" - just be sure when you preach the good news you don't neglect the weightier things.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟778,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The prosperity gospel teaches that poverty is a result of a lack of faith.

There are hundreds of verses in the Old and New Testament about God's care and compassion for the poor and the weak, as well as exhortations to stand up for justice and uphold the rights of the needy and the oppressed.

To the rich young ruler, Jesus said: "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” At these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property (Mark 10:17-27).

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

John the Baptist had a garment of camel hair (sack cloth?). He foraged for wild honey following bees to their hives. He ate locusts/grass hoppers. He preached a person with two coats should give to the one who has no coat.

Jesus used to instruct Judas to give to the poor from their common funds. Judas turned traitor and thief as he misused their funds and delivered Jesus for execution. He did not live long enough to enjoy the wealth he stole. Peter advised Paul should teach the Gentiles to remember to help the poor.
Acts 15

It is wrong to tell people giving to a rich televangelist with a house the size of a hotel will make them rich.

It is better to learn a trade or profession to create wealth.

If you are rich and care for God’s poor, God will care for you.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
He preached a person with two coats should give to the one who has no coat.

That was not John the Baptist.

Matthew 5:39 --- “But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” --- In an honour/shame, domination/submission culture such as existed in the first century in the Middle East, this saying has a far different meaning than a straightforward reading of it might indicate. If a man were to strike a social equal, he would strike him with the palm of his right hand on the left cheek. However if a man were to slap a social inferior he would do so with the back of his hand to the inferior’s right cheek. If the inferior were then to turn his other cheek it would force his assailant to treat him as a social equal by striking with the palm of his right hand. Since slapping is no longer a widespread cultural practice, it can be helpful if you could actually act this out with another person. Jesus’ audience likely would have had a good laugh at his comment. Jesus is not counseling humility here, he is counseling a covert defiance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm so its good or bad that the unrighteous the world has money but a believer can't? I know a man in Texas that so much of his money he made himself. And if I said his name most would not believe it. But records speak for themselves. Fact.. this part is always left out never and I mean never talked about. Just him and his church. Another one that has jets. He pays for his own jet fuel. More then ALL where he lives. That money he uses is his own. Meaning not one dime of it comes from the Church. Well he was rich before Christ found him. This again is never talked about. Another that has given millions when they needed it. Then all the money they spend over seas.

I told this story where we had a fire where we live and had to leave out house. A ministry that ALL know here called said "what do you need? What ever it us.. we will do it and get it to you". They were the ONLY ONES that called. No one else called anyone. What always gets us is.. how did they get our number? So I dig more.. I love searching sometimes. I found they have taken truck loads in storms and earthquakes. What makes me .. gets to me is.. WHY is this NEVER talked about? Storms in Florida or Texas or up and down that coast.. THEY took truck loads of food and things. And I did what to help? Thats what GOD is going to ask me if I bring them up before Him. He already told me.. get that PLANK out of your eye and then you get the SPEC..get that did we? We have the BEAM they in HIS eyes have a spec.

It hurts me to hear "prosperity gospel" well they even tell us (they? Caught myself. They are family) there is no prosperity gospel in the word. No such thing. THEY that believe in prosperity say this. So why use something that only put them in a negative light?

Where was Jesus living when the 3 Kings..so to speak came? And what did they give/bring them? :) Then we have Jesus and 12. And for some that had or were poor or just making it..for some odd reason had to put someone in charge of all the money they never had. Then we find out.. someone had been always taking from it. Taking from something they didn't have enough of and then ..what can we say.. how can they not have known someone was taking from it?

WHO is your Father? Ok go out side watch cars drive by. Look down at what those cars and you and me walk on almost every day. Now in heaven? Gods PAVEMENT/ASPHALT is GOLD. And that CITY? Sorry whats it built on?

I have been blessed praise GOD glory to JESUS. Seen wonders. What I have traced it down to is.. I just take HIM.. I believe what HE says. I always will stand on HIS word. I notice NT verses being posted. But not from the OT. And its not old.. His words are alive.. they have to do what HE spoke. And there are MANY prosperity verses. And so many of the great men women of GOD were VERY VERY RICH! Job was.. everything that happen to Job..did you know NO ONE knows how long that lasted. Could have been just weeks, months..we don't know. BUT what happen in then end? God twice of everything he had. He was RICH!

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Apparently the Apostle Paul was the first property preacher. Because right smack dab in the middle of two chapters about giving and receiving finances. He said this:
1st Co 8:9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

Now all kidding aside. The reason you don’t believe in the national prosperity the Bible promises as a natural result of nations that fear the Lord. And if it is national that means many individuals will be prosperous. The reason you don’t believe in it is because you don’t comprehend the times and seasons of Bible prophecy that Jesus was speaking to along with the principles the Bible lays out.

In one of my articles linked below Jesus, in a parable, addresses this very issue of how, when and why certain generations of true Christians will inherit the earthly blessings of God that include financial prosperity and why some will not. (Not due to any fault of their own.) It’s one of his many parables about the kingdom of God and its influence in the world. Yes people can take prosperity to an extreme just like they do with everything of God. But I promise you what Jesus Was teaching in his parable about the laborers hired to work in the field would will surprise you.
The Parable of the Laborers Hired To Work in the Field

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Give themany missionary magerzine and let themread about the grinding poverty of Christians in the third world. Christian who have to live by faith for they tuely do not know where there next mealis coming from.
If God s plan is to give us riches why hasn't he done it for them?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,685.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If God s plan is to give us riches why hasn't he done it for them?
Because He doesn't give riches by the definition of man, but by the definition of the Kingdom. The poor will always be victims of their oppressors but can be rich in the ways of the Kingdom far easier than their oppressors or those who are too busy trying to hang onto too many things. We must remember that the effects of self interest were the result of the actions in the Garden. those who suffer as a result have received their punishment. Those who are prospering will get their punishment down the road. We all die. Who will suffer more loss in the end?

Reactions: A Gerbil
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
prosperity gospel = one of the best business strategies pastors have thought of. It's basically triggering the human psychology, the way fake-scammer-psychics do, except of being completely generic about your problems (that every single person has) they use Bible verses and try to mold that into solutions, just so they can prepare you for the last segment of the service which is "tides". They will open up scripture about why it is great to give money and then go about how it benefits you.

Then they go home on their expensive cars to their massive king size beds, so they can wake up in the morning to catch their first class flight to some 3rd world country, and hang out at their top beaches/resorts during their "mission trips".

Upvote 0