"The Pill" turns 50

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The fiftieth birthday of "The Pill" was today (well, technically yesterday). So, what are your feelings on birth control? For it? Against it? Why or why not?

I'm okay with birth control. Naturally, being child free, I want a safe, effective, morally sound form of contraception.

The pill however, I don't like. Abortifacient controversy aside, it is extremely bad for women's health. I'm put off by the fact that people are more concerned with just giving it women than with actually improving it. There are probably some women who can't take the pill anyway, despite easy access, because of, A) moral question-ability, or B) because it messes with their health too much.

I mean, I read an account of a women who tried the depo-prova shots and they messed up her back so much that she has to do special exercises for life just to maintain basic maneuverability.

So do I like safe, effective, morally sound contraceptives. Of course.

Do I like the pill? No.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm for birth control, but BLAH the pill. The pill should be used as medication for non-contraceptive means. If you have no need for it except for that, then use something better like a IUD. Lower percentage of fail and it doesn't come with the nasty side effects. It is non-intrusive and it lasts for 5 years! SWEET.

Upvote 0

Oddish

May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD.
Jun 20, 2009
✟31,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am using dianette for my skin even though I don't have acne, just a few spots. I have been taking it for two months and I am sure my skin is actually a little worse. On top of that, I am way more emotional and feel like crying a lot. I have had the worse, most intense headaches I have ever had. I am not sure whether to continue or not and hope things get better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Really, I don't care what people choose to do. Its better than abortion and better than bringing more unwanted babies into the world. So by all means, go on birth control if you don't want kids but want to have sex.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
An hour of internet so where do I go, CF, huzzah!

I've never taken birth control in any form, there's never been a need for it. My general opinion is that i'd rather people use it and be fully informed on how to use the various methods than they were left in the dark. There are too many young adults, even in the UK, that are simply bamboozled when it comes to birth control, especially in certain areas. Injections, pills, caps, condoms, femidoms ... the world of contraceptives is waiting for those who need them and it is far preferable than the consequences of an unwanted pregnancy.

So yay for birth control if that's what tickles your pickle.

edit: International Outdoor Sex Day really does not compete with International Talk Like A Pirate Day, far less hassle.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm okay with birth control. Naturally, being child free, I want a safe, effective, morally sound form of contraception.

The pill however, I don't like. Abortifacient controversy aside, it is extremely bad for women's health. I'm put off by the fact that people are more concerned with just giving it women than with actually improving it. There are probably some women who can't take the pill anyway, despite easy access, because of, A) moral question-ability, or B) because it messes with their health too much.

I mean, I read an account of a women who tried the depo-prova shots and they messed up her back so much that she has to do special exercises for life just to maintain basic maneuverability.

So do I like safe, effective, morally sound contraceptives. Of course.

Do I like the pill? No.
Wow, you are seriously misinformed (now my "guy talking about a woman's issue" is showing :p):

A.) "The Shot" =/= "The Pill". A depo-shot really has deep, dangerous effects on some women, and is usually used for women who have (cringes) menstruation issues. This is because the shot makes a woman have a period every 3 months or so, instead of simply being birth control.

B.) "The Pill" is actually not only safe, but is prescribed to married women (!) because it is one of the most effective methods to regulate hormones and keep women more mentally and physically balanced pre-and-post-menstruation. It is a contraceptive, that aside from condoms, I would say was morally acceptable to use. Or a hysterectomy, that's cool too. :p

But seriously, go pill. You gave us a license to sin, but you also give us a way to be able to support our children financially (by not having a billion). Like everything, it isn't moral in and of itself, but rather how it is used is what is the issue.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
A.) "The Shot" =/= "The Pill". A depo-shot really has deep, dangerous effects on some women, and is usually used for women who have (cringes) menstruation issues. This is because the shot makes a woman have a period every 3 months or so, instead of simply being birth control.

B.) "The Pill" is actually not only safe, but is prescribed to married women (!) because it is one of the most effective methods to regulate hormones and keep women more mentally and physically balanced pre-and-post-menstruation.

This.

It'll happen that a woman is on a formulation that doesn't agree with her system, or the dosage doesn't work. You just try a different brand or new dosage; that doesn't make the Pill bad, it just means that brand just doesn't work for you.

And everyone I personally know who's on Depo got fat. I know you may get the 10lbs. on the Pill, but I'd rather have that then end up chubby on Depo.

Upvote 0