✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rising_Suns said:
I am curious about how my Orthodox borthers and sisters regard this book. I have been reading; "The Way of the Pilgrim", and it has sparked a great interest in this compilation of writings from the Fathers regarding interior prayer.
The Philokalia is fantastic. Currently, there are four volumes, with the fifth and final one being prepared for English publication. While there is certainly a wealth of spirituality in it, a lot of it is targeted at monastics and can be peculiar for us lay people. It is great though, our priest frequently quotes from it in his sermons.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Rising_Suns said:
I am curious about how my Orthodox borthers and sisters regard this book. I have been reading; "The Way of the Pilgrim", and it has sparked a great interest in this compilation of writings from the Fathers regarding interior prayer.
I have a copy of Vol. III. After realising my spiritual immaturity, I reverantly put this book away for a time, though I will draw a quote from it here and there.
It was compiled primarily for monastics, and very experienced and highly spiritual ones at that. I believe there are some churches that do not allow laypeople to read this book. Some Orthodox bookstores will not even sell it to a layperson.
It is definitely a book that should not be approached without first being in strict obedience to our spiritual father.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
proud2bcatholic said:
What is it? If it is so great and held in high esteem by my eastern brothers and sisters I think that I may want to read it.
The Philokalia is a collection of texts on prayer and the spiritual life, written between the fourth and fifteenth centuries by spiritual masters of the Orthodox Christian tradition.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?sourceid=00387615287055288498&ISBN=0571154662&bfdate=12-19-2003+17:26:57&bfinfo=Philokalia

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
proud2bcatholic said:
What is it? If it is so great and held in high esteem by my eastern brothers and sisters I think that I may want to read it.
The Philokalia is a collection of texts assembled by St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain Athos in the 1700s. Many of the texts date back to the early 1st millenium though. "Philokalia" is a Greek word translated as "Love of the good" or "Love of the beautiful."

Here's a blurb I found to explain it more concisely:

The Philokalia (or 'Love of the Good,') is a large and important book in the inner tradition. In the eighteenth century, long before its translation into English, the texts used in the earliest version of this work sparked a major renewal in the inner tradition that shaped the form it now takes in Eastern monasticism. This renewal of the inner tradition, led by the Russian St Paisius Velitchkovsky, began on Mount Athos, and then spread, first to Moldavia, and afterwards to Russia. The Greek version of the Philokalia, formed by Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain primarily from the texts collected by Velitchkovsky, provides a primary technical instruction for the monks of the Eastern Church who carry on the same tradition to this day on Mount Athos, as well as in many other parts of the world

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Some Orthodox bookstores will not even sell it to a layperson.

Really? One would think that a book of such great spiritual wisdon should be open for all to read. I cannot imagine what would happen if the bible was held for only a select few devote people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Photini said:
I have a copy of Vol. III. After realising my spiritual immaturity, I reverantly put this book away for a time, though I will draw a quote from it here and there. .
This was largely my experience as well. It is too much too early for me.

It was compiled primarily for monastics, and very experienced and highly spiritual ones at that. I believe there are some churches that do not allow laypeople to read this book. Some Orthodox bookstores will not even sell it to a layperson.
It is definitely a book that should not be approached without first being in strict obedience to our spiritual father.
I've heard this as well.

Oddly enough, despite the reverence we have for The Philokalia, it is one of the few Orthodox books commonly found in secular bookstores besides Bishop Kallistos' The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rising_Suns said:
Really? One would think that a book of such great spiritual wisdon should be open for all to read. I cannot imagine what would happen if the bible was held for only a select few devote people.
But it isn't the same thing. The Bible's target audience is everyone. The Philokalia is targeted toward monastics and ascetics. The things they practice can be incredibly spiritually beneficial if practiced correctly, or disastrous if practiced incorrectly.

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Photini said:
I think before the Philokalia, if you are not Orthodox, it might be beneficial to learn more about Orthodox spirituality first. Read the lives of our Orthodox Saints also.
Which Saints should I start off with?

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
proud2bcatholic said:
I'd start with St. Silouan the Athonite. He is a 20th century saint. Amazing texts on love of all creation.

There's one called simply St. Silouan by Archimandrite Sophrony and another great one called Orthodox Spirituality According to St. Silouan the Athonite by Harry Boosalis.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
proud2bcatholic said:
Oh wow! When I asked this question to Fr. Paisios, the Abbott of St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona...this is the list of books he gave me, and now I share with you. If I've learned anything so far, I have learned it through reading about the Saints and from holy ascetics.
1) St. Seraphim of Sarov
2) St. Silouan the Athonite
3) Orthodox Spirituality, by Metropolitan of Nafpaktos, Hierotheos
4) The Mind of the Orthodox Church, by the same.

I would add, St. Moses of Optina (actually all the Optina Elders), Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain, Elder Hadji-Georgis the Athonite, and St. Gregory Palamas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Another book to be read before The Philokalia is The Art of Prayer: An Orthodox Anthology compiled by Igumen Chariton of Valamo. This book is a good gateway to The Philokalia, the quotes are mainly from St Theophan the Recluse and St Ignatii Brainchaninov on the Jesus Prayer and the Prayer of the Heart.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
nicodemus said:
I'd start with St. Silouan the Athonite. He is a 20th century saint. Amazing texts on love of all creation.

There's one called simply St. Silouan by Archimandrite Sophrony and another great one called Orthodox Spirituality According to St. Silouan the Athonite by Harry Boosalis.
There's also one about St. Silouan called The Monk of Mount Athos, which I have, well my godmother has it right now. I like to share all my books. :) It's by Arch. Sophrony....which BTW, I heard he also may be "made official" as a Saint soon.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
nicodemus said:
But it isn't the same thing. The Bible's target audience is everyone. The Philokalia is targeted toward monastics and ascetics. The things they practice can be incredibly spiritually beneficial if practiced correctly, or disastrous if practiced incorrectly.

Right.
The early nineteenth century luminary, St. Ignatius Brichaninov, a well-educated bishop -saint and reformer of monasteries, in his wonderful book "On the Prayer of Jesus," says the following:

"(St.) Paissy Velichkovsky in a letter to the Elder Theodosius says: "The books of the Fathers, especially those which teach true obedience, vigilance of mind and silence, attention and mental prayer ( that is, prayer performed by the mind in the heart) are intended only for the monastic order and not for all Orthodox Christians in general. The God-fearing Fathers, in expounding the teachings on this prayer affirm that its beginning and unshakable foundation is true obedience, from which is born true humility; and humility guards him who who labours in prayer from all the delusions which dog the self-directed. But it is quite impossible for laypeople aqcuire true monastic obedience and perfect denial of the will and reason in everything. So how can laypeople, without obedience, by self-direction which is accompanied by delusion, force themselves to such terrifying work, that is, to prayer, without any kind of guidance? How will they be able to escape the diverse and varied illusions of the enemy most cunningly directed against this prayer and all who practise it?"

While this mainly is speaking of the Jesus Prayer, , it starts out with reference to the "books of the Fathers," of which assuredly the Philokalia is to be included, for St. Paissy Velichkovsky assembled the Philokalia, after searching for it on Mt. Athos, and is responsible for its translation into Russian. If one reads an accurate life of the saint, he will find that he was a bit concerned, lest spiritually lacking people might aqcuire and read this highly spiritual book. It is hard to understand at first, but if you think about it, and look at your life in the world - as a provider, as a parent, as one filled wih daily decisions, who cannot live a life of the total committment of obedience to a spiritual father, strict fasting, purity, and so forth - it makes sense that reading with understanding a book written for well- tried monastics and then to trying to apply its spiritual principles to your life would be most difficult.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rising_Suns said:

Even when I was a Roman Catholic, my Catholic Confessor instructed me to read only the New Testament and the Desert Fathers. What is so very interesting here is that this Catholic Priest, a black priest, gave me the same advice as my Orthodox Spiritual Father.

A novice in the monastery is usually told to read the New Testament, the Writings of the Desert Fathers, and the Way of the Pilgrim, because these three books are all that are needful for salvation. They teach us how to truly love and forgive others. Without a true love for all mankind, even our enemies, and without a spirit of repentance and true forgiveness, we cannot enter heaven.

Both the Orthodox Priest and the Catholic Priest confirmed that every Christian is called to sanctity -- to follow a rule of prayer. We who are laity follow a modified monastic way of life. However we are not to adopt the monastic rule on our own or try to live as monks or nuns in the world. Our homes are to be domestic churches or little monasteries where our children are raised to be humble servants of God.

The problem with reading the Philokalia is that we may misunderstand it. We may read it on our own and think we have reached the pinnacle of holiness only to be deluded by prelest (pride). We need discernment, but may not be humble enough to seek advice. Even monastics struggle with this and some monastics end up in hell because they are not truly obedient and humble.

There is a book published by a convent in Greece that talks about several monastics who didn't seek discernment for their dreams and felt that they had become great saints. Fascination with the meaning of dreams is a major pitfall. One monastic refused to seek the counsel of his Spiritual Father. He followed his dream, committed the sin of apostacy by denying Christ, then became a Jewish Rabbi. He died a horrible death as an apostate.

In all things we are to become like little children, with complete trust in Our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.