Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...if you find it, let me know :)

But seriously, after decades of searching to find the perfect denomination, here is what I have concluded.....
Anyhow, I was just wondering how many other folks agree or disagree with this?

I think the perfect denomination is the group that calls themselves disciples of Jesus. Unfortunately, not many seem to do that nowadays.

Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let me put all conjecture aside by saying that all I mean by any of this is that the body of Christ is made up of people... you, me, all of us. We all are connected geographically somewhere, and many are connected by other means (like here for example), but where and when we are connected, shouldn't we come together in unity to be the hands and feet of the body from which we all belong?

Upvote 0

Vi

Sep 17, 2004
Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reformation and the following Lutheran denomination checks all the boxes for me. I left Methodism after decades and am contented.

Lutherans are now spliting into groups , so there's some research you'll need to do. . But I'm very comfortable with the doctrines.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
...if you find it, let me know :)

But seriously, after decades of searching to find the perfect denomination, here is what I have concluded...

We should support the local church in a geographical area, and rely much less on whether or not a denomination fits what we think a church or denomination should be; with the notable and important exception of those churches who have seriously and demonstrable flawed doctrines (e.g The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saint, Jehovah's Witness, Church of Scientology, etc.).

I see denominations as more of a physical expression of one's faith than something that is so different that we must belong to this flavor, and never that one. Of course many have different lines in the sand with regard to what is acceptable and permissible, but more often than not I have found that what churches are supposed to believe and practice according to denomination, and what they in fact preach and practice, are oftentimes pretty far apart distinctions.

Some denominational expressions are stark and obvious, like the Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican Communion, etc., and Pentecostal churches. Most can agree to the same fundamental beliefs, and are in fact quite similar when it comes to their profession of faith, but at the same time very unique in how they express their faith in worship and services.

Anyhow, I was just wondering how many other folks agree or disagree with this?

This is pretty much exactly what I believe. I think there are core beliefs that must be upheld in a Christian church such as for example that Jesus is the only way to the Father. Other things such as infant baptism and the specifics about communion are rather minor. I think you should follow what the Lord has given you to understand about him in his word. It is my opinion that no single domination has everything figured out in God's word 100% correct. But we should go with what we understand to be true about it.

But of course, that being said I want to make sure that everyone understands that "Orthodox Presbyterian Church" ACTUALLY stands for the "Only Perfect Church"!!!! Just kidding! I thought that was cute when I heard that! : )

Reactions: Prepper Pete
Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How many of you have read about what a church you have been to is supposed to be about according to the controversies we read about in the news, but found the actual local church to be seemingly on another planet?

Personally, I have found this to be true more often than not. Supposedly ritualistic churches filled with people who praise God with hands in the air, hands in the air churches stuck in rituals (albeit different looking rituals), etc.

Upvote 0