United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
...if you find it, let me know :)

But seriously, after decades of searching to find the perfect denomination, here is what I have concluded...

We should support the local church in a geographical area, and rely much less on whether or not a denomination fits what we think a church or denomination should be; with the notable and important exception of those churches who have seriously and demonstrable flawed doctrines (e.g The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saint, Jehovah's Witness, Church of Scientology, etc.).

I see denominations as more of a physical expression of one's faith than something that is so different that we must belong to this flavor, and never that one. Of course many have different lines in the sand with regard to what is acceptable and permissible, but more often than not I have found that what churches are supposed to believe and practice according to denomination, and what they in fact preach and practice, are oftentimes pretty far apart distinctions.

Some denominational expressions are stark and obvious, like the Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican Communion, etc., and Pentecostal churches. Most can agree to the same fundamental beliefs, and are in fact quite similar when it comes to their profession of faith, but at the same time very unique in how they express their faith in worship and services.

Anyhow, I was just wondering how many other folks agree or disagree with this?

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hubby and I were just talking about this at lunch...very interesting question

QUOTE="Prepper Pete, post: 73462369, member: 415172"]...if you find it, let me know :)

But seriously, after decades of searching to find the perfect denomination, here is what I have concluded...

We should support the local church in a geographical area, and rely much less on whether or not a denomination fits what we think a church or denomination should be; with the notable and important exception of those churches who have seriously and demonstrable flawed doctrines (e.g The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saint, Jehovah's Witness, Church of Scientology, etc.).

I see denominations as more of a physical expression of one's faith than something that is so different that we must belong to this flavor, and never that one. Of course many have different lines in the sand with regard to what is acceptable and permissible, but more often than not I have found that what churches are supposed to believe and practice according to denomination, and what they in fact preach and practice, are oftentimes pretty far apart distinctions.

Some denominational expressions are stark and obvious, like the Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican Communion, etc., and Pentecostal churches. Most can agree to the same fundamental beliefs, and are in fact quite similar when it comes to their profession of faith, but at the same time very unique in how they express their faith in worship and services.

Anyhow, I was just wondering how many other folks agree or disagree with this?[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree, I believe God appoints people in different places. Such as Pentecostal, Baptist, Lutheran, Anglican, Orthodox, etc.

They all believe in One Lord, Jesus Christ, that he died on the cross for their sins, and rose from the dead. They believe in the Trinity, Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and the Bible as God's Word.

As long as they have the Nicene Creed, it is considered Christian. But I also believe we should raise the standards higher, as in a Church that supports abortion and the homosexual lifestyle should be disregarded, or churches that support prosperity gospels or new age/open theism.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

I think if you look deeper into the theology of denominations, even regarding essential matters of soteriology, I have serious issues with a number of denominations. But most Christians maintain a rather shallow understanding of denominational differences and thus maintain a rather shallow outward facade of unity as I see it.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The best I've found is reformed Baptist..

As far as any ol church will do, it seems very confusing. Since I was saved in visiting local churches and reading from various pastors and trying to find the correct doctrine, the right church and the best pastor, it was a journey to say the least and I've found things that shocked me etc.

But I didn't give up til I found "home". It's not perfect, but neither am I and it's home.

So, I don't think we should just say any ol denomination is fine, because they seriously don't all teach the same things... I think we have to keep trying to find where home is for each of us, praying for God's guidance in the process continually.

I didn't want baptized by a heretic, as strange as that might sound.. and I wanted to be careful in where I chose to join and learn from. As the Holy Spirit likes us to quiet our minds, listen to and learn from the Pastor, it helps if it's a Pastor we trust we can learn from.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see denominations as more of a physical expression of one's faith than something that is so different that we must belong to this flavor, and never that one.

I agree, to a large extent it's more about a style of worship than anything else.

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1:27 (NIV)

In my view, we should be more concerned about what a church is doing for others than what it's denomination quirks dictate.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good points all so far!

I have experienced what I refer to as trade-offs in every single circumstance. By this I mean that if one denomination is more biblical in their teaching on hot button issues, they often come at the expense of being rather "Pharisaical" so to speak. Sometimes the fine line is very hard to walk, as we struggle to strike a balance between faithfulness to the Truth, and having hearts as open and warm as Jesus'.

Maybe this is a bit off topic but...

Did you ever notice that when demonic activity is pretty much a certainty, that Priests are usually called in to combat the malevolent spirit? I always wondered why, but it certainly seems to be the case most of the time. Likewise, you almost always find that it is evangelical preachers that tackle the most violent places that need the gospel. Again, I wonder why these patterns seem so prevalent?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The RCC is stunningly varied. University congregations can resemble a wilderness camp sing-along session.

Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My question, to myself mostly but I really would like to hear your take on it, is why we don't unite geographically to face the local issues that plague communities? Every denomination seems to have it's marching orders, be it from denominational HQ or whatever is on the Pastor's heart for a sermon series, but why is it so rare to see church leaders unite to tackle things like feeding the hungry in our own communities, combating drug addiction in our towns, offering help to battered women, the suicidal, the lonely, the depressed?

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My question, to myself mostly but I really would like to hear your take on it, is why we don't unite geographically to face the local issues that plague communities? Every denomination seems to have it's marching orders, be it from denominational HQ or whatever is on the Pastor's heart for a sermon series, but why is it so rare to see church leaders unite to tackle things like feeding the hungry in our own communities, combating drug addiction in our towns, offering help to battered women, the suicidal, the lonely, the depressed?

From now and days a lot of pastors are doing the will of the flesh and calling it the will of God when its not. I have seen ridiculous sermons of pastors spreading garbage such as the flat earth theory and claiming that God told them to preach it, nonsense.

The whole Flat Earth is a pagan gnostic teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox probably come the closest overall to resembling the Early Church. However, this does not mean that either of them is the one true Church. If we say that any one denomination is the one Church founded by Jesus, then we are effectively putting in peril the souls of hundreds of millions of Christians. Also, even the EO and the OO still allow divorce and remarriage in much greater frequency than what was allowed in the Early Church or at least this certainly seems to be the case when you read up on Church history. Hence, I do not think that we can say that any one group is perfect in it's beliefs and practices.

Upvote 0

Prepper Pete

Dec 2, 2018
Oviedo, FL
Visit site
✟11,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This may sound off the wall to some, but I think that the closest thing to the body of Christ in a geographic location is at Christian concerts when folks from every walk of faith come together for one reason... to praise and worship Jesus!

I went with my daughter to a weekend long concert in Eastern Washington a few ago called Creation Fest, and absolutely loved it that nobody knew what denomination anybody was, but every tent cluster shared campfires, food, song and the love of the living God and His son and our Lord Jesus Christ!

In fact, it is the ONLY place or type of environment that I have witnessed this phenomena.

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Since no denominational church on the planet obeys 2Tim 2:15 and rightly divides, Correctly Cuts, God's Word, in order to eliminate all things taught to or given to Israel, except Christ, from today's 100% Gentile doctrine, no denominational church is correct on more than 50% of what they teach.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm impressed that it can be assessed so precisely (correct on no more than 50% of their teachings). ;)
It's probably a lot less than 50%. I notice you are one of those people that can't debate the meat of what the other person says. Instead, you just nibble around the edges and hit on totally unimportant things

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But view it from the other side. What was supposed to be real meat there?.

Ballpark guesses like this: no more than 50% supposedly teach correctly

and

"no denomination on the planet obeys 2 Tim 2:15...."

certainly aren't meat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But view it from the other side. What was supposed to be real meat there?.

Ballpark guesses like this: no more than 50% supposedly teach correctly

and

"no denomination on the planet obeys 2 Tim 2:15...."

certainly aren't meat.
Sure they are. You're still picking around the edges. Do you obey 2Tim 2;15. If so, where do you Correctly Cut and Divide God's Word, in order to be approved unto God and have no need to feel ashamed? If any denomination did Correctly Cut God's Word and taught truth for today, it would NEVER teach ANY of these things on this list as belonging to any Gentile living today. If ALL Denominations Correctly Cut and Divided God's Word, there would only be ONE Denomination. You can find no scripture that says any of these things were ever given to any Gentile that is totally unassociated with Israel, which includes everyone saved since 64AD, Ac 28:28, but NOT those Gentiles grafted into Israel, during Acts.

ALL these things on the list, and probably, 1000 other things, are taught by the denominational churches (synagogues) that specialize in teaching STOLEN, UNOBTAINABLE (to Gentiles) Jewish doctrine to unsuspecting Gentile sheep. None practice right division in order to weed out all Jewish only doctrine and focus only on Paul's 7 post-Acts, the only books that are TO and ABOUT everyone living today.

---the Lord's prayer
---the Lord's supper,
---Christ's gospel of the Kingdom
---the Great Commission
---the churches in the Gospels and Acts (we have a brand new church in Eph and Col),
---the New Covenant,
---the sermon on the mount,
---all or any part of the Law,
---water baptism,
---the Gifts of the Spirit,
---the idea that we are the seed of Abraham and Abraham is our Father,
---the New Jerusalem,
---the idea that we Gentiles are now part of Israel, in any way, whatsoever
---and, of course, Satan's favorite ploy, the Rapture, his big lie that sucks people into Acts and keeps them out of Heaven

Last edited:
Upvote 0