The Passion's Box Office #'s

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant
Yahweh Nissi said:
You can see from the verses quoted below, from Jesus, Paul and Isaiah, that it was the cross and Jesus death and blood shed there that is the crux of the gospel.

While the cross is important, it is nothing without the resurrection. The crucifixion doesn't validate the resurrection - the resurrection validates the crucifixion. The thing that validates is more critical than that which is validated.

Upvote 0

NotTroy

Aug 12, 2003
✟467.00
Faith
Christian
I think you have it backwards. The Ressurection validates the Crucifixion, but it is the Crucifixion that brings freedom from sin, not the Ressurection. Remember, "he was wounded for our transgrestions, and by his stripes we are healed." The Ressurection is important only in the fact that it proves that what was said about the Cross is indeed true.

Upvote 0

Yahweh Nissi

"The LORD Is My Banner"
Mar 26, 2003
Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
clinzey said:
While the cross is important, it is nothing without the resurrection. The crucifixion doesn't validate the resurrection - the resurrection validates the crucifixion. The thing that validates is more critical than that which is validated.

It totally disagree with that last scentence. Let us say you find what you think is a precious diamond but you are not sure. So you go to a jemstone expert and he examins it for you and says it is indeed a real diamond and gives you a certificate validating it. It is the diamond itself which has the value, not the certificate - the certificate mearly proves the values of the diamond, it is the diamond which is central and the certificate has no value without it. Of course, without the certificate no-one would buy the diamond off you - the certificate is crucial to prove its value. Indeed this metaphor fits in very nicely with the first exposition of v17 I gave (post #98, paragraph starting "looking at v12-16). If the resurrestion did not occur then the apostles are found to be false witnesses and the gospel they preached is invalidated. No resurrection does not remove the cross' value - sin is forgiven without the resurrection. And it is this that people most need convicing of. Most people believe in some sort of after-life, but few realise that they are sinners who need God's forgiveness and few realise that Jesus is the way, truth and life, and that they can only come to the father through him.

God bless,
YN.

Upvote 0

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant
Yahweh Nissi said:
It totally disagree with that last scentence. Let us say you find what you think is a precious diamond but you are not sure. So you go to a jemstone expert and he examins it for you and says it is indeed a real diamond and gives you a certificate validating it. It is the diamond itself which has the value, not the certificate

The diamond has no value until you have the expert giving it worth. The expert places the value on the diamond, not the diamond itself. Did you know that they are not precious stones? Diamond dealers/owners control the flow of diamonds in order to control value.

Upvote 0

Yahweh Nissi

"The LORD Is My Banner"
Mar 26, 2003
Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Alright, then that is a bad analogy :) I appologise for using it and I thank you for correcting me.

But that does not change my my point, I just should have used a different analogy. How about at expert testifying wether a nugget someone found is iron pirate (fool's gold) or real gold. The expert validating that it is real gold does nothing to change the material - it was already gold before they did this. Its value is intrinsic and not dependent on the validation. The validation mearly prooves its value.

Or we could forget analogies, which are always going to have their limits, and simply look at the scriptures and exergesis I posted in #97 and #98 which you have not in anyway countered.

God bless,
YN.

Upvote 0

Cozmo

Actively seek a living relationship with Him
Dec 22, 2003
Texas
✟23,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Passion of the Christ
Total as of Mar. 21, 2004: $295,280,000
+ Overseas Gross: $14.3 million / 6 countries

"Passion tops Matrix Reloaded as the #1 R-rated movie of all time..."

God bless!

:angel:

Upvote 0

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant
Yahweh Nissi said:
But that does not change my my point, I just should have used a different analogy. How about at expert testifying wether a nugget someone found is iron pirate (fool's gold) or real gold. The expert validating that it is real gold does nothing to change the material - it was already gold before they did this. Its value is intrinsic and not dependent on the validation. The validation mearly prooves its value.

I maintain my point - nothing has intrinsic value, but is only valued when one places worth upon it. Like gold, baseball cards, comic books, etc. While the crucifixion is important, as stated by some of the verses you posted in 97 and 98, the resurrection is the thing that places the full value on the crucifixion. The expert in this case? God. While men crucified Jesus, God placed the value on it by resurrecting him. Acts 4:10 "It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed...." (underlines mine, of course ;) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Joel_goober_head said:
ZOMBIES BEAT CHRIST!

Now, what is the moral of the story?

Oh, I don't know either. But zombies rule! God* bless George Romero!

Dawn of the Dead beats out Passion

(*today, the role of God will be played by Edward Norton)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Joel_goober_head said:
WHO BEAT CHRIST?

NOT THE ROMANS!

NOT THE JEWS!

ZOMBIES BEAT CHRIST!

apparently i can't link to the yahoo site so blah.

dawn of the dead beat out passion for weekend gross.

hell hath won!

^_^
"Dawn of the Dead" will fade into video very shortly.
"The Passion of the Christ" will go on to be one of the top 3 movies of all time...

Like you said: ^_^

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
didaskalos said:
"Dawn of the Dead" will fade into video very shortly.
"The Passion of the Christ" will go on to be one of the top 3 movies of all time...

Like you said: ^_^

Not only that. It will fade into obscurity. It will probably be at the $2 show by May, on video by June and completely forgotten by July.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
CeCe said:
Not only that. It will fade into obscurity. It will probably be at the $2 show by May, on video by June and completely forgotten by July.

Being that the original is the greatest horror movie of all time, did great business throughout the world, and was just rereleased on DVD, I pretty much doubt this.

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But if it's so great why the need for a remake?

The Brady Bunch was one of the most popular TV shows in the '70s. But not that many people will even admit watching that hideous movie.

This wasn't about the original. It's about the remake in the theaters now. And it will be forgotten. Just like Robin Williams "Flubber".

EDITED TO ADD:

And to remain on topic, "The Passion of the Christ" is still doing well in theaters everywhere. :)

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
CeCe said:
But if it's so great why the need for a remake?

The crucifixion of Jesus has been shown before, why the need to do another? Were none of those movies any good?

There wasn't necessarily a need for a remake, but those are in vogue right now. It wasn't really a remake to be honest, not much in common with the original at all besides the mall.

Upvote 0

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant
Jacey said:
Now, what is the moral of the story?

Oh, I don't know either. But zombies rule! God* bless George Romero!

Dawn of the Dead beats out Passion

Sure, it's easy to beat a movie at the box office if it's already been out for a while. It wouldn't be hard for any Hollywood movie to top The Passion of the Christ for a weekend. But compare the totals of Dawn of the Dead at opening week, or two weeks, or three weeks (I know, this may take patience on your part) with The Passion's totals for opening, two weeks or three weeks. The only way you can have valid comparison is to evaluate the grosses at the same point of the movie's life cycle.

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jacey said:
The crucifixion of Jesus has been shown before, why the need to do another? Were none of those movies any good?

There wasn't necessarily a need for a remake, but those are in vogue right now. It wasn't really a remake to be honest, not much in common with the original at all besides the mall.

Actually, no not really. Virtually every movie made about Jesus had an incredibly sanitized version of the crucifixion. I've seen some where there wasn't even one drop of blood. I know there's been a lot of complaints about the blood and the violence. But "The Passion" is without doubt at least closer to the reality of what crucifixion was like. It was bloody and brutal. There was a need for something that was closer to truth than the Hollywood versions.

Upvote 0