The Passion's Box Office #'s

BornAnew

Aug 28, 2003
Bronx
Visit site
✟130.00
Faith
Christian
:D Passion of The Christ Earns $125.2 Million in 5 Days Source: Coming Soon!
Monday, March 1, 2004

The Passion of The Christ earned an incredible $83.8 million from 3,043 theaters just on the weekend, to bring its official five-day total to $125.2 million. That surpasses the first five-day total of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($124.1 million) and only trails Spider-Man ($135.8 million) and The Matrix Reloaded ($144.4 million) for best ever.

It is now the largest opening weekend for a film in February, and the sixth best opening weekend of all-time. For an R-rated film, "Passion" is only second to the three-day weekend record set by The Matrix Reloaded with $91.8 million.

"Passion" also had the eighth biggest day in the history of box office on Saturday, when it earned a massive $33.1 million.

Captain_Jack_Sparrow

Jan 13, 2004
From Parts Unknown
✟1,283.00
Faith
Anglican
Why are you cheering?
It's a movie!
It's not even a great movie.
It's not a documentary or even spiritually uplifting.
And Mel Gibson is a borderline nut.

I think most people are cheering for what they WANT the movie to be, not what it is.

As one review I read summed it up (and I agree) , Jesus comes across as half mad and half pointless in this movie. The most 3D character is Pilate who posesses qualities and dimension we only wish Jesus has in this movie.

I tell you, if Pilate was like portrayed here (and Jesus too) we would be on PilationForum right now defending our rights as Pilatians.

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Captain_Jack_Sparrow said:
Why are you cheering?
It's a movie!

I think most people are cheering for what they WANT the movie to be, not what it is.

As one review I read summed it up (and I agree) , Jesus comes across as half mad and half pointless in this movie. The most 3D character is Pilate who posesses qualities and dimension we only wish Jesus has in this movie.

I tell you, if Pilate was like portrayed here (and Jesus too) we would be on PilationForum right now defending our rights as Pilatians.
Dumbest post I've seen in months. M

Upvote 0

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant

Captain_Jack brings up an interesting point. Do we as Christians like this movie because it is a good movie? Or do we like it because it affirms what we believe? There is a difference. And some of the movie was a Hollywood version, playing loosely with the Biblical text. There were aspects of the movie that portrayed as "truth" subject matter that is open to interpretation (Catholic/Anglican/Eastern Orthodox/Protestant/etc.). On its own merits does it deserve a nomination for "Best Picture" next year? I'm not so sure....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
Why are you cheering?
It's a movie!

Are you kidding me? I thought Pilate was the worst, and most inaccurate, character in the entire film! (Well... the acting for Herod was pretty bad... but then again, they were all supposed to be drunk and stupid)

No offense, but I find it hard taking your film judgment seriously when your screen name makes reference to the single most overrated movie character of the past ten years.

Upvote 0

Captain_Jack_Sparrow

Jan 13, 2004
From Parts Unknown
✟1,283.00
Faith
Anglican
Pope Gonzo,

I agree that Pilate was the most inaccurate. But the performance from the guy playing him was by far the best in the movie.

Clinzey hit on the point I was making. Many people are cheering this movie for what they want it to be not what it is.

It's not a terrible movie but it is not a great movie either.

On another forum there was a big debate titled 'Clockwork Orange vs. The Passion of the Christ' and though the majority thought Clockwork was the better movie (it is a movie forum) a lot of people were voting for Passion. I found this ridiculous. IMHO there is absolutely no way Passion is the movie Clockwork is.

I stand by the contention that the Passion is being lauded by many Christians for what it (supposedly) represents and not the reality of the product.

I think it's bad history and bad theology wrapped in beautiful cinematography.

Upvote 0

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
Except it's not a movie about the life of Jesus Christ. It's a movie about the last 12 hours of his life. And I agree with Sparrow in that it's not a particularly great movie at that. It's an incredibly important experience, but it's not a stand-out film.

I guess I'm just not sure how much of the inaccuracy of Pilate's part is in the script and how much is in his own acting and interpretation of the role. *shrug*

Upvote 0

VWPETE

Jan 22, 2004
Renton WA, school in Cheney WA
Visit site
✟1,238.00
Faith
Christian
clinzey said:
Captain_Jack brings up an interesting point. Do we as Christians like this movie because it is a good movie? Or do we like it because it affirms what we believe? There is a difference. And some of the movie was a Hollywood version, playing loosely with the Biblical text. There were aspects of the movie that portrayed as "truth" subject matter that is open to interpretation (Catholic/Anglican/Eastern Orthodox/Protestant/etc.). On its own merits does it deserve a nomination for "Best Picture" next year? I'm not so sure....

Im not sure if it will get Best Picture, it wasnt a normal move when you think of it. I feel it deserves some recognition but mel gibson could care less, Im sure he is just fine with thoes results and how many people saw the move.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NotTroy

Aug 12, 2003
✟467.00
Faith
Christian
As a film the movie is very well made with some stunning cinematogrophy, a great score, overall very good acting, and some very dramatic scenes. I think one area were people are taking in too much baggage that hurts how they view the movie is in the theology of it. Many of additions to the movie are not meant to be seen as absolute truth. Gibson took many aspects of the Gospels and embellished them for dramatic effect. Try taking the Gospels word for word and turning them into a script, it will never work. So for the sake of a good story Gibson added some things that were not in the Bible like Satan, added too some parts like Simon, and made up some other parts like the scene between adult Mary and Jesus and the scene where Mary flashes back. There is nothing wrong with any of this and the only overtly Catholic thing I saw was the way they hung Jesus on the cross. As an evangelical I have no problem at all with any of the theological issues people raise. Nothing, I mean nothing in that movie went against the spirit of the Gospels and I believe that almost every part that he added or embellished on made the movie much better than any kind of straight reading script would have been.

For instance, my favorite two parts in the whole movie were parts that Mel added himself that have no Gospel reference to speak of. The scene between Mary and Jesus building the table really showed the humanity of Jesus and how he wasn't some aloof holy man with no feelings or other signs of human emotion. My other favorite scene, and the one that finally broke the **** where my tears are was the scene where Mary is watching Jesus carry the cross and as he collapses she flashes back. This, in my opinion is the most powerful scene in the entire film.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Spirit of the movie is what impressed me as accurate. I'm sure that others looked to see scriptural accuracy in dialogue, but with the original dead languages being revived and spoke, I think it is evident that the spirit of something is greater than any ink or paper. Even the Bible says that His Words are spirit and life, and the life generated in each of us by the Holy Spirit makes us living and open epistles (letters) to the world. The madness, cruelty, and anger unleashed on Jesus was that of the whole world of sin, and was very well depicted in the film, and the agony endured by Christ was the whole point of the film as He was marred greater than any man that has ever lived, according to scripture. Satan imaginative appearance was interesting and probably very accurate, as the Bible does say that we battle against principalities and powers in high places - spiritual evil - and not flesh and blood. Satan lurking in the crowd, symbolically entering into their hearts to destroy and defeat Jesus faith in the Father was deep and insightful, again, IMO.
The only thing that give me pause is how we see these things as images at a rate of 60 per second and are commanded to not make graven images or idols. So many look at these actors as idols in Hollywood, and I'm glad this movie did not operate through the regular channels. I hope it will give us all an idea of the love that kept Jesus on that long long road, being whipped every step of the way while carrying our cross, to die so cruelly on for our transgressions and iniquities. I hope for the best.
Pilat was depicted accuratly, IMO, and other writings other than the Bible give some of the political background around Jesus time and how Pilate did not want to crucify an innocent man, but the crowd, stirred up by the rotten hearted and jealous Pharisees, cried for death and crucifixtion. The troublsome Jews were hated by the Romans, historically, and the Jews were part of the reason for their downfall, with continual uprisings.

Isaiah 52:14 As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:

Upvote 0
I know that a lot of people are trying to look at this from a "movie critic" P.O.V, but this movie is not meant to be "a good movie." That's not the purpose at all.

I read some of your complaints, particularly "Jack Sparrow's." Your claims are nothing special, nor do you have any bases for your remarks about bad history and bad theology. :scratch: (You sound just like everyone else. :yawn: )

Strangely enough though, I do agree as far as the acting is concerned. The acting wasnt particularly Oscar worthy. But there is an element in play that many overlook... truth. And truth never needs proof. Truth never needs help proving itself. Truth will always outlast time. Truth will outlast everyone of us. The message of the Gospel isnt about Academy Awards or box office hits. The Gospel is about changing lives through Christ. This movie presented that message, and whether you liked it or not the truth will not change....
The Truth that Jesus was alive, murdered, buried and rose again.
The Truth that Jesus used 12 men to turn the world upside down.
The Truth that the Gospel has transcended cultures, racial barriers, and people of all creeds. How is it that one message can effect the nations and change the generations? Because its true.
The Truth is that, when our children's children die, the Gospel will live on, and Jesus will still be changing lives.
So uh, :idea:
Put that in your coffee and drink it! (whatever that means.)

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
NotTroy said:
Nothing, I mean nothing in that movie went against the spirit of the Gospels and I believe that almost every part that he added or embellished on made the movie much better than any kind of straight reading script would have been.

For instance, my favorite two parts in the whole movie were parts that Mel added himself that have no Gospel reference to speak of. The scene between Mary and Jesus building the table really showed the humanity of Jesus and how he wasn't some aloof holy man with no feelings or other signs of human emotion. My other favorite scene, and the one that finally broke the **** where my tears are was the scene where Mary is watching Jesus carry the cross and as he collapses she flashes back. This, in my opinion is the most powerful scene in the entire film.
I completely agree. And those were two of my favorite scenes as well. They were two very touching moments between a son and his mother. One amusing the other heartbreaking.

It did not rewrite the gospels. No one is claiming Jesus invented the kitchen table. It was just a moving joyful moment. And one of the few times where we could smile at what was happening. I feel confident Jesus and His mother had playful happy moments. And when she ran to Him I wasn't the only one seen and heard crying.

Upvote 0