The Partial Preterist Believers Safe House

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Members who chose to participate in this safe house should be partial preterists. This thread is for discussing end time events and prophecy (Biblical) from a partial preterists point of view. Fellowship posts from all members are welcome.

• This safe house thread is for those members who believe in the partial preterism.
  • The safe house is for discussion and not for debate. Debate is defined as: "Engaging in argument by discussing opposing points."
  • If a topic turns into a debate then staff will split the debate off into a new thread.
  • Members who do not believe in partial preterism may post in fellowship only.
  • No posts from this safe house may be quoted in other threads or used to start discussion threads in the main Eschatology forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Partial Preterist Eschatology defined from Theopedia
http://www.theopedia.com/Preterism

Partial Preterism, the older of the two views, holds that prophecies such as the destruction of Jerusalem, the Antichrist, the Great Tribulation, and the advent of the Day of the Lord as a "judgment-coming" of Christ were fulfilled circa 70 AD when the Roman general (and future Emperor) Titus sacked Jerusalem and destroyed the Jewish Temple, putting a permanent stop to the daily animal sacrifices. It identifies "Babylon the great" (Revelation 17-18) with the ancient pagan City of Rome or Jerusalem.

Most Partial Preterists also believe the term Last Days refers not to the last days of planet Earth or the last days of humankind, but rather to the last days of the Mosaic covenant which God had exclusively with national Israel until the year AD 70. As God came in judgment upon various nations in the Old Testament, Christ also came in judgment against those in Israel who rejected him. These last days, however, are to be distinguished from the "last day," which is considered still future and entails the Second Coming of Jesus, the Resurrection of the righteous and unrighteous dead physically from the grave in like-manner to Jesus' physical resurrection, the Final judgment, and the creation of a literal (rather than covenantal) New Heavens and a New Earth, free from the curse of sin and death which was brought about by the Fall of Adam and Eve.

Thus partial preterists are in agreement and conformity with the historic ecumenical creeds of the Church and articulate the doctrine of the resurrection held by the Early church fathers. Partial preterists hold that the New Testament predicts and depicts many "comings" of Christ. They contend that the phrase Second Coming means second of a like kind in a series, for the Scriptures record other "comings" even before the judgment-coming in 70 AD. This would eliminate the 70 AD event as the "second" of any series, let alone the second of a series in which the earthly, physical ministry of Christ is the first. Partial Preterists believe that the new creation comes in redemptive progression as Christ reigns from His heavenly throne, subjugating His enemies, and will eventually culminate in the destruction of physical death, the "last enemy" (1 Cor 15:20-24). If there are any enemies remaining, the resurrection event cannot have occurred.

Upvote 0

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh. -- Matt. 25:1-13

Stryper - Not That Kind Of Guy. - YouTube

Upvote 0

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory. And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities. Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double. How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow. -- Revelation 18:1-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2rGjSuvcTU

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is mortifying to remember that I not only held and taught these novelties myself, but that I even enjoyed a complacent sense of superiority because thereof, and regarded with feelings of pity and contempt those who had not received the “new light” and were unacquainted with this up-to-date method of “rightly dividing the word of truth.” For I fully believed what an advertising circular says in presenting “Twelve Reasons why you should use THE SCOFIELD REFERENCE BIBLE,” namely, that: “First, the Scofield Bible outlines the Scriptures from the standpoint of DISPENSATIONAL TRUTH, and there can be no adequate understanding or rightly dividing of the Word of God except from the standpoint of dispensational truth.”

What a slur is this upon the spiritual understanding of the ten thousands of men, “mighty in the Scriptures,” whom God gave as teachers to His people during all the Christian centuries before “dispensational truth” (or dispensational error), was discovered! And what an affront to the thousands of men of God of our own day, workmen that need not to be ashamed, who have never accepted the newly invented system! Yet I was among those who eagerly embraced it (upon human authority solely, for there is none other) and who earnestly pressed it upon my fellow Christians. I am deeply thankful, however, that the time came (it was just ten years ago) when the inconsistencies and self contradictions of the system itself, and above all, the impossibility of reconciling its main positions with the plain statements of the Word of God, became so glaringly evident that I could not do otherwise than renounce it.-- Philip Mauro(1859-1952)

Pink Floyd - Brain Damage/Eclipse (lyrics) - YouTube

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
And all alone you are.
No. 1disciple is not all alone...I'm here, and there will certainly be more to come...:thumbsup:

@ 1disciple, I have Mauro's book "The Seventy Weeks and The Great Tribulation"...I have it in pdf format.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟422,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for making this thread, 1disciple. Maybe I'll contact the staff about having this stickied, like the Democratic and Republican Safe Houses in the Politics forum.

I suspect this will be the lone haven for sane conversation and dialogue in this entire sub-forum. :D

EDIT: I shot a PM to some of the staffers and asked if they could sticky this, so we'll see what they decide to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@ebed & Cogent

Glad I can be of some help, you guys. I don't really like the term 'Partial Preterism', because it sounds too 'Preterist' and I can't overemphasize that Partial Preterism means just that--Partial. A Partial Preterist is part 'Pastist' (is that a word?) and Part 'Futurist', but since that is the best term at the moment, I guess I'll go with it. This can also be used as a think tank thread too.

I'm not interested in defending any 'ism', only in understanding the historical progression of Biblical prophesy and the times of the present so that I might effect the future for good in Christ.

Blessings. :)

Upvote 0

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Seven Conquering Promises of Christ: Rev. 2-3.

Just meditating and studying on the seven promises of Christ in Revelation this morning. I think I have the stellar correspondences and will probably start another discussion thread on the subject. The Seven Letters is probably my favorite part of Revelation, except for the end. :)
1. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

2. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

3. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

4. And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. And I will give him the morning star. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

5. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

6. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

7. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvTM03sLjsw

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I will certainly respect your safehouse thread.
apply to get it sticky'd up top.

I really don't get your view, but I have tried.

you guys are partial, so you do believe in a literal 2nd Coming, right?

so as partial preterists, if you do,
how is it that you don't see a post ____ coming of Christ?
how can it be anything but in your view?

I did not think partial prets could have another view???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will certainly respect your safehouse thread.
apply to get it sticky'd up top.

I really don't get your view, but I have tried.

you guys are partial, so you do believe in a literal 2nd Coming, right?

so as partial preterists, if you do,
how is it that you don't see a post ____ coming of Christ?
how can it be anything but in your view?

I did not think partial prets could have another view???

Are you asking why I don't see a post [final] coming of Christ?

Partial Preterists believe that Jesus Christ came in a judgment against Jerusalem in A.D. 70 according to his prophecy in Matthew 24 and that He has been coming in the Clouds of Heaven (the spiritual and veiled (clouded) coming of the Parousia) ever since that time, which will culminate in His Glorious Appearance at the Last Trump, when all enemies have been made as His footstool and the last enemy conquered will be death. The Second Coming didn't happen in A.D. 70, it has been happening since A.D. 70 and will end with His Glorious Appearance with all His Holy Angels. The second coming has been happening then, now, and in the future until the Last Trumpet. The word most often used for 'coming' in the N.T. is 'parousia', which means 'by-coming', 'parallel progression'. Jesus isn't coming back, He's coming forward, and all the children of light with Him. The parousia of Christ has been progressing as He said it would: as lighting flashing from the Orient to the Occident.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Are you asking why I don't see a post [final] coming of Christ?

Partial Preterists believe that Jesus Christ came in a judgment against Jerusalem in A.D. 70 according to his prophecy in Matthew 24 and that He has been coming in the Clouds of Heaven (the spiritual and veiled (clouded) coming of the Parousia) ever since that time, which will culminate in His Glorious Appearance at the Last Trump, when all enemies have been made as His footstool and the last enemy conquered will be death. The Second Coming didn't happen in A.D. 70, it has been happening since A.D. 70 and will end with His Glorious Appearance with all His Holy Angels. The second coming has been happening then, now, and in the future until the Last Trumpet. The word most often used for 'coming' in the N.T. is 'parousia', which means 'by-coming', 'parallel progression'. Jesus isn't coming back, He's coming forward.
thx.
by my definition, you guys ARE post tribbers.
I don't disagree with what you posted,
but I don't imo believe it deserves it's own category

the fulfilment to come is for national redemption, not personal.
that's already been done, as you guys seem to understand fine.

Upvote 0

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thx.
by my definition, you guys ARE post tribbers.
I don't disagree with what you posted,
but I don't imo believe it deserves it's own category

the fulfilment to come is for national redemption, not personal.
that's already been done, as you guys seem to understand fine.

Partial Preterists believe that the years of Tribulation were occuring during John's own time.

I suppose you could call us 'Post Tribulation', but it's a bit of a misnomer since we are not Dispensationalists at all. We do not believe in a 'secret Rapture', or a reign of Christ on earth, but rather a 1000 year reign of Christ from Heaven that has been happening since the overthrow of the Beast (Rome).

Personaly, I see strong intertextual evidence for John receiving the Revelation at the Feast of Trumpets in the autumn of A.D. 65. This is when John writes, 'Behold, He is coming in the Clouds, and every eye shall see Him, even those who pierced Him.' Based upon the Trumpet Blast that John hears behind him, I hold that the 'Day of the Lord' concerning Jerusalem began to come on New Moon, Lunar Rosh Hashana/Yom Yeruah/Feast of Trumpets, Sun. Sept. 20, A.D. 65. He has been coming in the Clouds of Heaven ever since that time. The rest of the Revelation describes the historical progression of events that would be occurring throughout the parousia all the way to New Heavens and New Earth by means of archetypal spiritual symbols. And that is the horrid error that Full Preterism makes. It begins and ends with A.D. 70, which is as ludicrous as Dispensationalism holding that all these things are future. We are Partial Preterists, and I would mention that Partial Preterism is the older and true view of what was once called Preterism among the Reformers. It has been taken hostage by a false movement that we call Hyper-preterism. And we hold them to have swerved off the mark of Truth.

We hold the views of Darbyite Dispensationalism to be nearly completely carnal in nature with little to no understanding of the spiritual nature of the spiritual reign of Christ and the Kingdom of God. We hold Post-Mid-Pre-Tribulation raptures to all be fallacious as they are all built on the single false premise of Dispensationalism to begin with. Make no mistake, I cannot overemphasize this enough: we do not hold even one iota of Dispensationalism to be Biblical or true in any way. Not one shred of it from A to Z. They whole of it is one false premise after another. For those who currently hold a Dispensationalist view, in order to understand Partial Preterism, they would basically have to start their eschatological studies from square one and with a blank slate. It would require no less than for them to cast off every previously held view of eschatology they ever had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1disciple

Apr 6, 2013
✟1,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see any point in being safe. If I have an anger problem, I have to learn how to express what i believe without anger.

I simply begin this thread to be a place of possible eschatological discussion without having to be barraged with 5 billion scriptures, all of which are taken out of context and confounded, posted by Dispensationalists who believe that it is their job to be the rapture and tribulation police. They're like the Spanish Inquisition, except with scribal shotguns instead of torture wheels. They both feel about the same, though.

Upvote 0