The other mom (or dad)

How do your kids refer to the step-parent?

• Mom/Dad

• First name

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, I just noticed this forum and it looks new. So the first thing that comes to my mind is what do you have the kids call step-parents? My step-son's mother claimed early on that she didn't like the step parent title and has always had her kids call all her husbands 'dad.' My son was anxious to call my current husband dad even before we were married. We have all the kids call us simply "mom and dad" while the noncustodial parents are o"ther mom" and "other dad." I don't recall my kids ever calling my ex's second wife by anything other than her first name though. Recently when my boys had an assignment to make a poster about their family, they refused to refer to the other as step-brother, they just call each other brother. It works well for us, especially since I really don't like hearing children refer to adults by first name, though I know that is much more acceptable now.

c1ners

Senior Contributor
Dec 12, 2005
US
✟30,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My daughter calls my husband "dad".
My step daughters call me by my given name.
When they had children the children started out calling me by my given name. I would gently correct them and tell me my name is granny. In referring to me, I'm usually their dads wife. I don't even get the title of step mom. Just "my dads wife". It hurts sometimes, but I've learned not to let it bother too much.

Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey cool we got a step-section!

My stepson called (calls?) me 'mom.' DH had custody when we married, but now SS lives with his BM, so obviously she is back to 'mom' status. It is more of a job title than a name to me. (My children call me Mama.)

Upvote 0

sioleabha

Mom to 5, Wife to Flesh99, Daughter to the KING!
Dec 9, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟15,883.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't allow any of my kids to call me mom -- only mommy or mama! :D

Seriously, though. My step-kids called me Michelle when they were really little, but I was very glad that they had started calling me mommy by the time our son was born. I'd have hated to have my baby's first word to be Michelle!! :D

They also call their other mom as mommy, so when they talk about her to me, they call her Mommy M------, and when they talk about me to her, they call me Mommy Michelle.

I've always called my step-dad by his first name, though. I was 16 when my mom remarried, and no one even suggested that I call him dad. Probably best, since I had a lot of bad memories associate with that word.

Upvote 0

Big Dave

Jun 27, 2006
Foot hills of the OZARKS
✟16,095.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I had a step father. It never was a good thing I called him by his first name as he never earned the title of DAD. He r -u -n -n -o - f -t With a woman that lived down the street. As for my step kids I asked them what they wanted to call me. At first it was Captain Jack. I don't know but a short while latter it became Poppy. Now it is just pop and has been for years. Thier father was here yesterday and came in the house just like one of the kids would. I belive you can not equalize child support and time with them. If that is the case what kind of Christian witness does that show. Like it say's in the song Love's the only house big enough to take away all the pain in the world.
TRUTH & MERCY
Big Dave Redneck for Christ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jlwmomof4

Jul 23, 2006
Michigan
✟15,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I have a step-mom, and I am a step-mom also. I have under most circumstances, called her by her first name. My step-kids call me mom some times, but most of the time by my first name. My husband has had custody from the begining so they are my kids in everyway that counts. I also have a daughter who's father is not in the picture, and my husband as far as she is concered is her dad and she calls him that. We also have a son together. I feel the child should have the choice of what they feel comfortable calling their step-parent

Upvote 0

lameschina

Jul 10, 2006
✟15,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
jlwmomof4 said:
Well I have a step-mom, and I am a step-mom also. I have under most circumstances, called her by her first name. My step-kids call me mom some times, but most of the time by my first name. My husband has had custody from the begining so they are my kids in everyway that counts. I also have a daughter who's father is not in the picture, and my husband as far as she is concered is her dad and she calls him that. We also have a son together. I feel the child should have the choice of what they feel comfortable calling their step-parent
My husband has two sons from his previous marriage. They call me by my first name.

I have a stepmother and I call her by her first name.

Stepparents seem like they get "parent" titles more often when their bioparent isn't in the picture or when they are very close to the children.

But that's just my two cents. :blush:

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TwinCrier said:
Wow, I just noticed this forum and it looks new. So the first thing that comes to my mind is what do you have the kids call step-parents? My step-son's mother claimed early on that she didn't like the step parent title and has always had her kids call all her husbands 'dad.' My son was anxious to call my current husband dad even before we were married. We have all the kids call us simply "mom and dad" while the noncustodial parents are o"ther mom" and "other dad." I don't recall my kids ever calling my ex's second wife by anything other than her first name though. Recently when my boys had an assignment to make a poster about their family, they refused to refer to the other as step-brother, they just call each other brother. It works well for us, especially since I really don't like hearing children refer to adults by first name, though I know that is much more acceptable now.
I'm the stepmom to two boys and we have been together as a blended family (we also have a third boy who is the child of this marriage) for 7 years this November. When I first met my dh, and he was a single dad, the boys called me by my first name, but after a few months, and after we had decided to get married and the boys knew, just out of the blue the youngest - who was then 2 - called me "mom". The older boy - then 6 - still continued to call me by my first name for a while, but after our marriage he called me mom too. There never was any pressure about it. Their bio-mom who lives a long way away from us was furious about it, and unfortunately, when they visited, she had them call every single one of her boyfriends (a different one for each visit!) "dad" in retaliation - although she doesn't bother with the boys any more now, and they don't visit, so at least that is over. I do think that it's about what the kids want to call that other parent in their life. It just was easier for them to call me mom because I have been their mom in every single way since I met my dh. In the same way, I call them all "my boys" never "my stepsons and my bio son" or anything like that. We are family, and that's all there is to it - no steps or halves - just family. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

charityagape

Blue Chicken Gives You Horns
May 6, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟24,930.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I married my husband he had two children, our daughter seven and our son nine.

He had custody and their birthmother rarely saw them.

We never told them what to call me, he introduced me by my first name and that's what my son calls me to this day (but he calls my mother Nana) my daughter started out calling me by my first name but quickly reverted to mom.

They both refer to me to others as mom.

Their now 11 (almost 12) and 13.

Upvote 0

Katydid

Just a Mom
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama
✟11,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
my step son calls me by my first name which is fine by me although the post by Michelle got me thinking will any children my wife and I have call me by my first name instead of dad and if so would that upset me. Something for me to think about.

Well, if it makes you feel better, my stepson calls me Ima. BUT...when talking to my kids, he refers to me as Mommy. So for instance...

gav--Ima can I have some milk

yet her is him with Justin

gav--go give mommy that crayon

or

mommy wants a hug

etc etc.

So, because he knows that I want them to call me mommy, he just refers to me as mommy when talking to them. Kinda like dh doesn't call me mommy when he is talking to me, but when he is talking to the kids will refer to me as mommy. Same concept. So all of my kids call me mommy. There hasn't been any confusion yet.

Upvote 0
S

Susiesmommy

I have two stepsons almost 13 and almst 12 when their dad and I got married they were 9 and 10 they were older with their mom in their lives so I don't reallly expect them to call me mom,but still treat me with respect and like another mom.I have a son from a previous marriage,his biodad has nothing to do with him,so my son calls my husband dad.We also have a daughter together and my stepsons always refer to me as mom when talking to Susie my daughter like they say "Go tell mommy you hurt yourself" So she never refered to me by any other name then mommy.Which is great.

Upvote 0