Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's awesome! It was one of the first things that led me to Orthodoxy. The Orthodox Word focuses on people who lived in the past 100 years or so, so I find it easier to relate to than reading the lives of saints from way back in the Roman era.

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love that magazine.

Another good one is the Orthodox Herald, which is more of a newsletter. It's very humble and warm. Let me see if I can find a link for it.....

Here it is: http://www.orthodoxherald.homestead.com/

I think you can read it online but I love getting the homey paper copy in the mail.

I also get Again and Handmaiden. I like the Orthodox Herald the best, though.

Upvote 0

Moros

Jan 1, 2004
✟22,337.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
I've been to the monastery in Platina. I forget what the official name of it is, the sign out front both says St. Herman's and New Valaam. Anyhoo, the library contains every issue of the Orthodox Word, from the first to the most current. They were fun to browse through and read. I helped a fellow pilgrim with editing several old articles for an eventual re-release. I recommend a subscription, not only for the glorious content but also to support the Brotherhood.

Upvote 0

Moros

Jan 1, 2004
✟22,337.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Mattee Ramone said:
Does anyone here read Orthodoxy Today?

I used to. For a while, they had some great, relevant articles. Then whoever the editor is started borrowing a bunch of Neo-Con rantings from frontpagemag.org and every other article was by rabbi this and rabbi that about islam this and islam that. It got really irritating eventually. It's far too political. Anyone can rant and rave about moral issues, but I see no real effort to reconcile these sentiments with Orthodox praxis. I'd go as far to say that orthodoxytoday is a very secular rag.

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maximus said:
I have some back issues of The Orthodox Word, but I don't have a subscription
. . . yet.

I want to get one, though.

If you are in the habit of buying from Amazon.com, go to their magazine section and type in "Orthodox." Lots of cool things show up.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get The Orthodox Word and it's one of my favorites. Other Orthodox magazines I subscribe to are: Orthodox Life, Orthodox Tradition, Again, Orthodox America (which I haven't gotten an issue of in ages) and The Word.

I also get the following newsletters, which I get for free because of church membership and affiliation: The Orthodox Church, The Dawn, The Censer, and The Pilgrim.

I almost don't need to buy any books those keep me so busy! :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

walking.away.123

Mar 24, 2004
None
✟25,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nicodemus said:
I get The Orthodox Word and it's one of my favorites. Other Orthodox magazines I subscribe to are: Orthodox Life, Orthodox Tradition, Again, Orthodox America (which I haven't gotten an issue of in ages) and The Word.

I also get the following newsletters, which I get for free because of church membership and affiliation: The Orthodox Church, The Dawn, The Censer, and The Pilgrim.

I almost don't need to buy any books those keep me so busy! :p

The Censer: Is that the one from the Metropolitan of Hong Kong and SE Asia? That's my jurisdiction. I only get the magazine online, though.
S.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ShiFuBill said:
The Censer: Is that the one from the Metropolitan of Hong Kong and SE Asia? That's my jurisdiction. I only get the magazine online, though.
S.
That's the one. I've emailed a lot with Fr. Daniel in Singapore and since my wife is Asian he put us on the mailing list for the print version of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.