Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
✟749.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Axver said:
Personally, I think New York is not that great of a song, and it doesn't come close to Walk On, one of the best songs of all time (not just U2 songs, any songs). They used that to close shows on the Elevation tour and I'm of the opinion they should keep it that way for the upcoming tour. Can't wait for the tour dates to be announced.

In regards to ATYCLB, here's what I think of the various songs;

Sheer genius: Walk On
Brilliant: Beautiful Day, The Ground Beneath Her Feet (found only on British, Japanese, and Australian copies), and Kite
Very good: Elevation, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Wild Honey, When I Look At The World
Good: Peace On Earth, New York, Grace
So-so: In A Little While

Sad Astronaut, I'm surprised Trip Through Your Wires rated so high on your list. I've noticed not many U2 fanatics are particularly keen on it, although it is a good enough song. You ever heard any live versions of it? I have a live copy from the "Save the Yuppies" free concert in San Francisco from 1987 ... just gone and forgotten the exact date.

Your Blue Room is a truly great song, and I love it how Adam does some vocals. I'd like to hear some early live recordings of Fire, because he apparently sung backing vocals on that track in the early days. And I feel like a bad U2 fan, because I don't have Passengers, but it is difficult to get. Roll on Christmas!

I would like to get the passengers album as well, I'll probably order it off amazon.com or some place like that, as I'm sure few places around here have it in stock.

I like the song New York, but I didn't think it sounded that great live. Part of it may be that the crowd was not into it like they were for more familiar songs. I'm with you on "Grace" and "Peace on Earth", but obviously we disagree on "IN a little while". Walk on and Kite are classic.

"Trip through you Wires", I realize isn't one of their most popular songs, I always like less popular songs for some reason. I really like the harmonica and the high energy found in the song. It's an altogether fun song. I used to have an mp3 of a live version of the song. It was pretty good, and Larry's drumming shined through more in the live version, especially before Bono sang the line "I trip through your wires"

Sorry that you don't get to see U2 often where you are at. From what I understand the Elevation tour didn't go through Australia last time.

Upvote 0

Axver

Dreaming on a railway track
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
EDIT: I have a feeling I say some stuff in this that I said in my last post, particularly as to where my live TTYW is from. Sorry about that, but I'm running short on time so I just hammered out a reply without checking my prior post, and now I don't have the time to go through and make modifications.

sad astronaut said:
I would like to get the passengers album as well, I'll probably order it off amazon.com or some place like that, as I'm sure few places around here have it in stock.
I'll most likely end up doing the same, or getting a local shop to order it in - I've NEVER seen it in the stores, even the biggest ones, which is a right shame because Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo are brilliance.

I like the song New York, but I didn't think it sounded that great live. Part of it may be that the crowd was not into it like they were for more familiar songs. I'm with you on "Grace" and "Peace on Earth", but obviously we disagree on "IN a little while". Walk on and Kite are classic.
Were you actually at a concert to see New York live? I guess the problem with U2 is that they have so many famous songs that the casual fan expects to hear them and doesn't know less obscure songs. I REALLY hope they bring out 11 O'clock Tick Tock at a show I go to on the next tour, because that's my favourite song behind Bad. They did bring it out a few times during Elevation so I'm hopeful. In regards to IALW, I used to quite like that, but lately I listened to it for the first time in a little while (hehe) and it just didn't seem to be as good as I used to think it was.

"Trip through you Wires", I realize isn't one of their most popular songs, I always like less popular songs for some reason.
I quite like some of the more rare and older stuff. I'm a massive fan of pre-JT U2. Well, I'm a massive fan of anything U2, but particularly pre-JT. 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Gloria, Tomorrow, The Electric Co., Out Of Control, Bad, Pride, A Sort Of Homecoming, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Seconds, Surrender ... that's just brilliance, sheer brilliance.

I really like the harmonica and the high energy found in the song. It's an altogether fun song. I used to have an mp3 of a live version of the song.
Yeah, the harmonica's good - I love the little bit in Running To Stand Still, which I think is the most beautiful U2 song ever. What live version do you have? I have a CD with TTYW on it from the free 11 November 1987 San Francisco "Save The Yuppies" concert.

Sorry that you don't get to see U2 often where you are at. From what I understand the Elevation tour didn't go through Australia last time.
Yeah, we got left out last time - U2 was here last in 1997 as part of Popmart, and last time they were in my native New Zealand was 1993 as part of the New Zooland leg of the ZooTV tour. But if the rumours are true, we should be seeing them down here next tour. If not, I guess I'll just be going to America.

Upvote 0

Motor City Christian

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Detroit area
✟22,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok, I really just caught on to U2 lately. I love the song, "Beautiful Day". It makes me feel so great, and I believe they are Christians too. Anyways, I know they aren't a "Christian band", but the group has Christians. Alright, I am rambling. My question is how much is the CD with "Beautiful Day" in it? What's a decent price? I have seen it at 19.99, but thought it was high. What's the CD title? I definitely understand why people like U2. They have some great symbolism and lyrics.

Upvote 0

Eli'ah

Nov 5, 2003
Praying rug..
Visit site
✟139.00
Faith
Christian
Ok I had posted a u2 thread somewhere else and only got a few replies:cry: then I saw this thread and I was like yay!! I LOVE U2 AND BONO IS SO HOT!! That band is the best exsample of a band that serves Jesus while still rocking out!! Bono is my Hero he does so much stuff for Africa and 3 world contries, he is the best and his Voice!!!!!! oh sweet Lord!! that man can sing!! my fav songs are:

Mother of the disappered

please

Falling at your feet.

Rock on u2:clap: :kiss:

Upvote 0

Axver

Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Falling At Your Feet? I must find an mp3 of that. Mothers Of The Disappeared is a great song, and I really want the, er, "unofficial release" of the concert in Chile where they performed that (MOTD bein about the situation in Chile, it was a moving performance and also put U2 in danger because some [bad] sectors of Chilean society weren't overly impressed by it).

All That You Can't Leave Behind is a fantastic CD. I owned Best Of 1980-1990 first, then ATYCLB, and then Best Of 1990-2000 turned me into a complete and utter fanatic. The best song on ATYCLB - and one of the best U2 songs ever - is Walk On. I love it.

So, how would everyone rank U2's CDs (not including Best Ofs or bootlegs)?

1. Under A Blood Red Sky
2. Boy
3. October
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. The Joshua Tree
6. Pop
7. War
8. Achtung Baby
9. Wide Awake In America
10. Zooropa
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind
12. Rattle And Hum

Apart from number 1, that list is prone to constant change, although it's usually Boy or The Unforgettable Fire at number two. I guess that chart gives away that I particularly love early U2.

Can't wait for the new album. Can't wait at all.

Upvote 0

sad astronaut

Robot in Disguise
Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
✟749.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Axver said:
So, how would everyone rank U2's CDs (not including Best Ofs or bootlegs)?

1. Under A Blood Red Sky
2. Boy
3. October
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. The Joshua Tree
6. Pop
7. War
8. Achtung Baby
9. Wide Awake In America
10. Zooropa
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind
12. Rattle And Hum

Apart from number 1, that list is prone to constant change, although it's usually Boy or The Unforgettable Fire at number two. I guess that chart gives away that I particularly love early U2.

Can't wait for the new album. Can't wait at all.

1. Joshua Tree/Achtung BAby
3. All that you can't leave behind
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa
6. War
7. Rattle and Hum
8. Boy

I don't have October or Pop yet

Upvote 0

Axver

Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Oh poor you. October is just sheer brilliance, particularly Gloria and Tomorrow, and Pop is so underrated it's not funny. Personally, I find the song Mofo so incredibly moving ... it's the meaning of life in a song. "Looking for to save my save my soul ... looking for to fill that God shaped hole ..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stellaluna

Bunhead for Christ!
Aug 17, 2003
Maryland
Visit site
✟431.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Wow. I feel like a belong here! lol where to start? I have no favorite songs.. Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gloria, and Where the Streets Have No Name are incredible, and I'm in love with U2...just in love with the group. I tend to like their older stuff ie Joshua Tree, unforgettable Fire, October, and War, and the stuff they've come out recently.. if i say anymore i'll probably embarress myself, so i'll stop now! ;)

* hums With or Without You..

Upvote 0
I

indigo tree

stellaluna said:
Wow. I feel like a belong here! lol where to start? I have no favorite songs.. Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gloria, and Where the Streets Have No Name are incredible, and I'm in love with U2...just in love with the group. I tend to like their older stuff ie Joshua Tree, unforgettable Fire, October, and War, and the stuff they've come out recently.. if i say anymore i'll probably embarress myself, so i'll stop now! ;)

* hums With or Without You..
Embarrassed? With us other crazy people in you're embarrassed? Be not ashamed.;)

BTYW, have any of you got the new U2: Going Home DVD?

Upvote 0

Axver

Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
SLANE! SLANE! SLANE! *controls self* IT'S BLOODY BRILLIANT! EEEEEEEEEEEEE! U2 Go Home: Slane Castle 2001 is Slaney good and is the must have DVD of 2003. I'm in love with it. It's so fantastic I've turned 'Slane' into an all purpose adverb/adjective.

Stellaluna, I'm kinda like you - I'm a massive fan of their early stuff. 1976-1984 U2 was the best. But that's not to degrade anything post-84, because it's all fantastic, just pre-85 is fantastically fantastic. I madly heart Bad and particularly 11 O'clock Tick Tock.

Sad Astronaut, I'm trying to figure out your name and I feel like I should get it ... is it from In A Little While? "A man dreams one day to fly/A man takes a rocketship into the skies/He lives on a star that’s dying in the night/And follows in the trail/The scatter of light"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟16,914.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
indigo tree said:
I recorded the cut version of the Slane concert when it was on TV around this time last year, but I know they cut ALOT of the songs out, and I'm dying to see the the DVD version.. I dont' have any money, so perhaps it'll show up for for Christmas.
Ordered from amazon.com it is actually cheaper than most CDs. I think my brother got it for $13-$14. If you don't have any $$$, that doesn't make it any cheaper, but it isn't as expensive as most DVDs.

Upvote 0

Axver

Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Slane's definitely worth it. I too recorded the U2's Beautiful Day broadcast off TV, and it's interesting to compare what has and hasn't been edited. For example, on the broadcast, they edited Bono's Sunday Bloody Sunday rant, but on the DVD they edit out the bit at the start of Walk On where Bono dedicates it to his father, Bob Hewson.

And yes, if you look in the right places, you can find it quite cheap. OK, so it's not free, but it means you can save up for it and/or talk someone into buying it for you easier.

Upvote 0